HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

HF Boards' Healthy Body Transformation Thread - Part 6

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 09:32 AM
**** Farise
Can't Say Puck

vCash: 500
I've been doing intermittent fasting for the past 2 months, combined with really concentrating on my form and doing slow negative training...and my gains over the past 1-1.5 months have been ****en awesome.

I just had someone at work yesterday ask me "how did you lose so much weight recently?". Which is understandable that she thought that, because I've gone down 2 notches on my belt in that time. But I've only lost like 5 lbs total.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Francesa

http://adage.com/article/news/consum...b-soda/240536/

Quote:
The amount of soda consumed declined 1.2% in 2012 -- down to 1996 levels, with per capita consumption in the U.S. falling to 1987 levels. Still, the major brands increased pricing, leading to a 1.8% rise in retail sales. According to Beverage Digest, the category, which includes energy drinks is worth about $77 billion.

Soda consumption was steady throughout the 1990s, rising about 3% per year, before slowing in 1999. The category has been in decline since 2005.

The category has been under siege, particularly in recent months. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg was set to ban sugary beverages larger than 16 oz. before a judge struck down the ban.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

My Insanity badge of honor came today.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:53 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
I could really use some new exercises to better define my traps. Suggestions?

Old
03-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I could really use some new exercises to better define my traps. Suggestions?
Shrugs? Front vertical rows?

Old
03-27-2013, 03:00 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
Shrugs? Front vertical rows?
Do both, with several variations of shrugs, as well as a few others... just seems I never see any results. Kind of irritating. It's the one area I swear I never see any improvements, more of an annoyance than anything.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Do both, with several variations of shrugs, as well as a few others... just seems I never see any results. Kind of irritating.
What rep range and tempo are you going with?

Old
03-27-2013, 03:02 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
What rep range and tempo are you going with?
I've done both lower weights, and 20-25 per set, and I've also loaded up on weight and done 6-8 per rep. If I'm using dumbbells, I'm usually doing the 20-25, because I lose my grip really easily with heavier sets. I'll go to a cable machine or if the place is empty, a squat rack, so I can use more weight and have a decent grip.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

A few things to consider.

First is the "traps" don't just consist of that spot on your neck, we have lower, mid and high trapezius and they all need to be worked to get the fullness you're looking for.

Shrugs are obviously the main exercise to target the upper trap, but some subtle things like where you're looking can make a fair amount of difference. When you look at the floor you'll be hitting the middle-upper area, but by looking up you can place stronger emphasis on the upper trapezius.

Try changing up to the 12-15 rep range for now, add in some barbell overhead presses which target the upper traps as they're responsible for keeping your shoulders aligned during overhead exercises.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:20 PM
RayP

Quote:
A few things to consider.

First is the "traps" don't just consist of that spot on your neck, we have lower, mid and high trapezius and they all need to be worked to get the fullness you're looking for.

Shrugs are obviously the main exercise to target the upper trap, but some subtle things like where you're looking can make a fair amount of difference. When you look at the floor you'll be hitting the middle-upper area, but by looking up you can place stronger emphasis on the upper trapezius.

Try changing up to the 12-15 rep range for now, add in some barbell overhead presses which target the upper traps as they're responsible for keeping your shoulders aligned during overhead exercises.
Really? Didn't know that... If I'm paying any attention to where I'm looking, it's usually straight ahead at a mirror so I can make sure I'm getting a good shrug in... and not one of those guys who just shrugs as fast as possible with the heaviest weights they can hold in their hands.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks... Was not aware of the high, mid, and lo trap sections. Thought it was really just one whole muscle, kind of thing.

And yeah, those are a must on shoulder/trap days, one of my favorite workouts. Also do standings up right row and bent over, as well as some other shoulder exercises.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Do both, with several variations of shrugs, as well as a few others... just seems I never see any results. Kind of irritating. It's the one area I swear I never see any improvements, more of an annoyance than anything.
Do roids, bro. Your traps will blow up Bane style.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Honestly it's sometimes best to take the less is more approach to the upper traps. Throw them in on a delt or back day but other than that just do the exercises that use them like overhead presses, lateral raises, upright rows, face pulls (more for middle/lower trapezius) and deadlifts.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:31 PM
RayP

Quote:
Honestly it's sometimes best to take the less is more approach to the upper traps. Throw them in on a delt or back day but other than that just do the exercises that use them like overhead presses, lateral raises, upright rows, face pulls (more for middle/lower trapezius) and deadlifts.
That's what I use to do, but changed it up to a shoulder/traps day to try and see better results... but I'll take your word for it, and switch back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Do roids, bro. Your traps will blow up Bane style.
Scared of needles.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

17 pounds down in one month! Aiming for 12 this month!

Old
03-27-2013, 07:21 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Whats a face pull?

Old
03-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Whats a face pull?
Mr. Charles Poliquin instructs a proper face pull:

Old
03-27-2013, 07:56 PM
bassassin

Ah cheers, yeah i incorporate that into my current shoulder workout. Just as with a lot of things I don't know the name for them, and while generally you can make a good guess at a name, I couldnt with the face pull.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I know, first time I heard it I had no clue. Thought it was like trying to flex your face, or pull it back.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:36 AM
KISSland

My friend told me I'm going to be real vascular when I start lifting heavier weights.

We were working out arms the other day and he's like dude that took me months to get that vein on your biceps.

My weight seems to be fluctuating... I keep going from 169-173... Why aren't I DROPPING!

Old
03-28-2013, 12:41 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Don't worry about the scale man, you're at a weight now where it really doesn't matter what the number is but how you look in the mirror.

Don't get too caught up with the scale because it will end up driving you mad with the daily fluctuations.

Use the mirror.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:43 AM
KISSland

Thanks Justin.

edit: i lold at facepull i remember the first time my friend mentioned them to me and had no idea what he was saying till he showed me on the machine.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:46 AM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
My friend told me I'm going to be real vascular when I start lifting heavier weights.

We were working out arms the other day and he's like dude that took me months to get that vein on your biceps.

My weight seems to be fluctuating... I keep going from 169-173... Why aren't I DROPPING!
If it is at all available to you, not only is swimming great for cardio and muscle recovery, but my vascularity shot through the roof when I started swimming on my non-lifting days. I'm actually starting get veins popping around my hips/adonis belt area. Biceps are still eluding me though, and probably will for some time.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:17 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dayvan Cowboy View Post
If it is at all available to you, not only is swimming great for cardio and muscle recovery, but my vascularity shot through the roof when I started swimming on my non-lifting days. I'm actually starting get veins popping around my hips/adonis belt area. Biceps are still eluding me though, and probably will for some time.
Yeah my nephew has those. So jelly.

It's sweet cause I'm only curling 20-30lbs for my biceps/triceps and there's already 3 permanent veins that show.

Too embarrassing swimming in my current situation but I will take note.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:11 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dayvan Cowboy View Post
I've got those and they just creep me out I do not see why people would want veins there.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:50 AM
RayP

Hip veins? Gross.

I've got a bulging vein on one bicep that you can see run down my entire arm. Also have a vein that moderately pops out of each shin/ankle.

Closed Thread