HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Greedy/thoughtless things Hockey people have done

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2005, 04:20 PM
  #1
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,874
vCash: 500
Greedy/thoughtless things Hockey people have done

Here's a post opposite of another one. What are the most selfish or thought les things that anyone in Hockey has done that you can think of off the top of your head? Here's mine.

Bobby Clarke REPLACING Roger Neilson after he was diagnosed with cancer and putting in Craig Ramsey. Neilson comes back after his chemotherapy treament to find no job. Then Clarke's explanation in an interview stating that he "didnt tell Roger to get cancer." Believe it or not Neilson even up until he died called Clarke a friend! Classless Bobby!

The whole situation with Eric Lindros and Clarke. Lindros not to blame as much, although he should get his parents to stay out of everything. Clarke basically killed his franchise with that blunder. Running Lindros out of town.

Peter Pocklington calling Paul Coffey "gutless" (I believe) after the Oilers win the Cup in '87 prompting Coffey to hold out and then be traded to Pittsburgh. Coffey should have realized though what a clown Pocklington was and just ignored it.

Markus Naslund's comments regarding Steve Moore. Saying he isn't "good enough" of a player and etc. Give the guy a break Markus! His neck got broken............by YOUR best friend!

Alexei Yashin taking back the $1m he "donated" to the National Arts Centre

The NHL for having this "quiet rule" about never hiring Ted Nolan again. Coach of the year in '97 and then they let him go cause Hasek doesnt like him? Hmmm.

Big Phil is offline  
Old
03-29-2005, 04:22 PM
  #2
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,608
vCash: 500
Wayne Gretzky calling the NJ Devils a Mickey Mouse organization.

Slats432 is offline  
Old
03-29-2005, 04:29 PM
  #3
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,139
vCash: 500
The lockout...

Mario lemieux refusing to go to the podium because he didn't want to be drafted by Pittsburgh...

KariyaIsGod* is offline  
Old
03-29-2005, 04:34 PM
  #4
Bergeron47
Registered User
 
Bergeron47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 9,536
vCash: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil

Alexei Yashin taking back the $1m he "donated" to the National Arts Centre
Whats the story behind this?

Bergeron47 is online now  
Old
03-29-2005, 04:42 PM
  #5
David Puddy
Registered User
 
David Puddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,824
vCash: 500
Lindros/Quebec was much worse than Lindros/Clarke I think.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gretzky felt bad after the Oilers 13-4 pounding of the New Jersey Devils because his friend and former teammate Ron Low gave up many of the goals.

David Puddy is offline  
Old
03-29-2005, 04:43 PM
  #6
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47
Whats the story behind this?
Back in '98 when he was with the Senotors he agreed to donate $1m to the National Arts Centre. Less than a year later he backed out only giving $250,000 I believe. This was at a time when he was about to hod out as well, so there was a lot of Yashin bashin going on, but still if you give your word you give your word!
Its funny I remember Don Cherry yelling at people for giving him a hard time for the donation. For whatever reason Cherry has always likd Yashin?

Big Phil is offline  
Old
03-29-2005, 05:24 PM
  #7
reckoning
Registered User
 
reckoning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
Back in '98 when he was with the Senotors he agreed to donate $1m to the National Arts Centre. Less than a year later he backed out only giving $250,000 I believe. This was at a time when he was about to hod out as well, so there was a lot of Yashin bashin going on, but still if you give your word you give your word!
Its funny I remember Don Cherry yelling at people for giving him a hard time for the donation. For whatever reason Cherry has always likd Yashin?
I remember whwn that happened, there were a lot of fans defending Yashin, saying he had his reasons for taking the money back and it was his own business. However, after the holdout, these same fans started retelling the story, only this time painting Yashin as the villian.

My choice: during the `94 lockout Ottawa GM Randy Sexton wanted to teach the NHLPA a lesson, so he decided to promote a player, Brian Downey, from the minors to the Sens. Since there`s a lockout, Downey wouldn`t get paid for playing with the Sens since there`s no games, but since he`s no longer in the minors he doesn`t get his minor-league salary. The kid is out of a job. Teach the NHLPA a lesson by punishing somebody who isn`t even a member of the NHLPA- just brilliant. To make matters worse, out of all the players he could`ve done it to, he picked a local kid, and of all the times to do it, he chose right before Christmas. It was a P.R. nightmare for the club.

After there was too much bad press, the club reversed and sent Downey back to the minors. Sexton tried to defend the fiasco by noting that Harry Sinden did the same thing to a couple of players in the Bruins system first; which invites the obvious question "If Harry Sinden jumped off a cliff...."

reckoning is offline  
Old
03-29-2005, 05:27 PM
  #8
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,769
vCash: 500
It took seven posts for someone to mention either Harold Ballard or Alan Eagleson?

kmad is offline  
Old
03-29-2005, 05:51 PM
  #9
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
It took seven posts for someone to mention either Harold Ballard or Alan Eagleson?
Good one. Heres some for Ballard. Lann McDonald getting traded away which was Sittler's best friend, because Ballard hated the fact that Sittler had no trade on his contract. Ballard admitting that he intentionally traded away religious players.

The Gilmour leaving the team in the middle of the year thing with Calgary.

How about this one. Mike Keane leaving the Colorado Avs in '97 signing with NYR for more money and then stating that its because of his "desire to win another championship". For the record the Avs won a Cup in '01 and the Rangers have never made the playoffs since '97.

Big Phil is offline  
Old
03-29-2005, 06:10 PM
  #10
Habsfan 32
Registered User
 
Habsfan 32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Way up north...
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,316
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
The whole Bobby Clarke and Roger Nielson thing is one of the worst for sure.

Habsfan 32 is offline  
Old
03-29-2005, 06:18 PM
  #11
acr*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: My Pit of Danger
Country:
Posts: 47,526
vCash: 500
Eagleson has done a lot to make this list, but I'll go with what he did to Bobby Orr in 1976.

The Bruins offered Orr a deal for not much money, but something like a quarter share of the franchise, and Eagleson neglected to tell him that and forced Orr to sign with Chicago for a slightly higher salary, because that's more money in Eagleson's pocket. Orr would've made more with ownership of the Bruins, but he was screwed out of that opportunity by a corrupt agent.

acr* is offline  
Old
03-29-2005, 06:26 PM
  #12
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 35,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
Good one. Heres some for Ballard. Lann McDonald getting traded away which was Sittler's best friend, because Ballard hated the fact that Sittler had no trade on his contract. Ballard admitting that he intentionally traded away religious players.

The Gilmour leaving the team in the middle of the year thing with Calgary.

How about this one. Mike Keane leaving the Colorado Avs in '97 signing with NYR for more money and then stating that its because of his "desire to win another championship". For the record the Avs won a Cup in '01 and the Rangers have never made the playoffs since '97.
Throw in that the Rangers signed Keane to spite the Avs for matching their offer to Joe Sakic.

Brian Burke whining about the officiating in against the Red Wings, when he used to be in charge of officiating.

Brian Burke's medical diagnosis.

Glen Sather saying he'd never lose a game if he had the Rangers budget.

Any time Sinden or Milbury used a coach as a human shield.

Nolan accusing the league of racism. You're being black balled because GM think you might get them fired.

Hasbro is online now  
Old
03-29-2005, 06:31 PM
  #13
acr*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: My Pit of Danger
Country:
Posts: 47,526
vCash: 500
The Canes' offer to Fedorov with the "Western Conference Final" incentive was just pathetic

acr* is offline  
Old
03-29-2005, 06:53 PM
  #14
VanIslander
Don't waste my time
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 23,415
vCash: 500
Don Cherry, let's count the ways...

VanIslander is offline  
Old
03-29-2005, 09:08 PM
  #15
chooch*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Lemaire the coach asking Lafleur to sit out a bench minor.

chooch* is offline  
Old
03-29-2005, 09:39 PM
  #16
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 31,187
vCash: 50
Brett Hull telling the fans to go f**k themselves

The Kingslayer is offline  
Old
03-30-2005, 02:04 PM
  #17
acr*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: My Pit of Danger
Country:
Posts: 47,526
vCash: 500
Kasper benching Neely in Toronto

Pittsburgh sending Fleury back to Juniors despite the fact he was playing well because they didn't want to pay him incentive money for games played

acr* is offline  
Old
03-30-2005, 02:09 PM
  #18
LadyByngJeanRatelle
Registered User
 
LadyByngJeanRatelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
Kasper benching Neely in Toronto
Seeing Neely in tears after the game broke my heart.

Kasper

LadyByngJeanRatelle is offline  
Old
03-30-2005, 02:48 PM
  #19
Mothra
The Groovy Guru
 
Mothra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses
Mario lemieux refusing to go to the podium because he didn't want to be drafted by Pittsburgh...
This is a big one IMO...you dont hear much about it these days....at least Lindros went up there

Mothra is offline  
Old
03-30-2005, 02:57 PM
  #20
Form and Substance
Registered User
 
Form and Substance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
This is a big one IMO...you dont hear much about it these days....at least Lindros went up there
Who the hell did Lemieux think was going to draft him? He should have seen it coming long ago.

Form and Substance is offline  
Old
03-30-2005, 03:13 PM
  #21
Terrier
Registered User
 
Terrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Waltham, MA
Posts: 3,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
Eagleson has done a lot to make this list, but I'll go with what he did to Bobby Orr in 1976.

The Bruins offered Orr a deal for not much money, but something like a quarter share of the franchise, and Eagleson neglected to tell him that and forced Orr to sign with Chicago for a slightly higher salary, because that's more money in Eagleson's pocket. Orr would've made more with ownership of the Bruins, but he was screwed out of that opportunity by a corrupt agent.

Don't forget that dirtbag Bill Wirtz. It's relatively minor compared to the whole Orr/Eagleson mess, but how about keeping your team's home games off local TV for the last few decades, even when Blackhawks fans were jamming Chicago Stadium?

http://www.wirtzsucks.com/news/black...ines110603.htm

Terrier is offline  
Old
03-30-2005, 03:57 PM
  #22
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,549
vCash: 844
The whole NHL and NHLPA CBA thing. Can't believe nobody's mentioned that yet.


octopi is offline  
Old
03-30-2005, 05:13 PM
  #23
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
Who the hell did Lemieux think was going to draft him? He should have seen it coming long ago.
Exactly... I don't get it either...

There's not much about the man that I do get in fact.

KariyaIsGod* is offline  
Old
03-30-2005, 06:55 PM
  #24
chooch*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses
Exactly... I don't get it either...

There's not much about the man that I do get in fact.


It was a contract negotiation tactic and one that the media leapt on.

But at least he was upfront instead of like 99 hiding behind his bunny wife and telling all the edmonton fans that he was "sold" when in fact he was after US $.

chooch* is offline  
Old
03-30-2005, 07:11 PM
  #25
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch


It was a contract negotiation tactic and one that the media leapt on.

But at least he was upfront instead of like 99 hiding behind his bunny wife and telling all the edmonton fans that he was "sold" when in fact he was after US $.
It was a contract negotiation tactic? OK... Well I could rob your house as a tactic to make money and that doesn't make it right...

As for your comments on Wayne, they are meaningless because everything you say about the man is a fabrication... It always has been.

KariyaIsGod* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.