HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Greedy/thoughtless things Hockey people have done

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Greedy/thoughtless things Hockey people have done

Here's a post opposite of another one. What are the most selfish or thought les things that anyone in Hockey has done that you can think of off the top of your head? Here's mine.

Bobby Clarke REPLACING Roger Neilson after he was diagnosed with cancer and putting in Craig Ramsey. Neilson comes back after his chemotherapy treament to find no job. Then Clarke's explanation in an interview stating that he "didnt tell Roger to get cancer." Believe it or not Neilson even up until he died called Clarke a friend! Classless Bobby!

The whole situation with Eric Lindros and Clarke. Lindros not to blame as much, although he should get his parents to stay out of everything. Clarke basically killed his franchise with that blunder. Running Lindros out of town.

Peter Pocklington calling Paul Coffey "gutless" (I believe) after the Oilers win the Cup in '87 prompting Coffey to hold out and then be traded to Pittsburgh. Coffey should have realized though what a clown Pocklington was and just ignored it.

Markus Naslund's comments regarding Steve Moore. Saying he isn't "good enough" of a player and etc. Give the guy a break Markus! His neck got broken............by YOUR best friend!

Alexei Yashin taking back the $1m he "donated" to the National Arts Centre

The NHL for having this "quiet rule" about never hiring Ted Nolan again. Coach of the year in '97 and then they let him go cause Hasek doesnt like him? Hmmm.

Old
03-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Slats432

Wayne Gretzky calling the NJ Devils a Mickey Mouse organization.

Old
03-29-2005, 04:29 PM
KariyaIsGod*

The lockout...

Mario lemieux refusing to go to the podium because he didn't want to be drafted by Pittsburgh...

Old
03-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil

Alexei Yashin taking back the $1m he "donated" to the National Arts Centre
Whats the story behind this?

Old
03-29-2005, 04:42 PM
David Puddy

Lindros/Quebec was much worse than Lindros/Clarke I think.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gretzky felt bad after the Oilers 13-4 pounding of the New Jersey Devils because his friend and former teammate Ron Low gave up many of the goals.

Old
03-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47
Whats the story behind this?
Back in '98 when he was with the Senotors he agreed to donate $1m to the National Arts Centre. Less than a year later he backed out only giving $250,000 I believe. This was at a time when he was about to hod out as well, so there was a lot of Yashin bashin going on, but still if you give your word you give your word!
Its funny I remember Don Cherry yelling at people for giving him a hard time for the donation. For whatever reason Cherry has always likd Yashin?

Old
03-29-2005, 05:24 PM
reckoning

Quote:
Back in '98 when he was with the Senotors he agreed to donate $1m to the National Arts Centre. Less than a year later he backed out only giving $250,000 I believe. This was at a time when he was about to hod out as well, so there was a lot of Yashin bashin going on, but still if you give your word you give your word!
Its funny I remember Don Cherry yelling at people for giving him a hard time for the donation. For whatever reason Cherry has always likd Yashin?
I remember whwn that happened, there were a lot of fans defending Yashin, saying he had his reasons for taking the money back and it was his own business. However, after the holdout, these same fans started retelling the story, only this time painting Yashin as the villian.

My choice: during the `94 lockout Ottawa GM Randy Sexton wanted to teach the NHLPA a lesson, so he decided to promote a player, Brian Downey, from the minors to the Sens. Since there`s a lockout, Downey wouldn`t get paid for playing with the Sens since there`s no games, but since he`s no longer in the minors he doesn`t get his minor-league salary. The kid is out of a job. Teach the NHLPA a lesson by punishing somebody who isn`t even a member of the NHLPA- just brilliant. To make matters worse, out of all the players he could`ve done it to, he picked a local kid, and of all the times to do it, he chose right before Christmas. It was a P.R. nightmare for the club.

After there was too much bad press, the club reversed and sent Downey back to the minors. Sexton tried to defend the fiasco by noting that Harry Sinden did the same thing to a couple of players in the Bruins system first; which invites the obvious question "If Harry Sinden jumped off a cliff...."

Old
03-29-2005, 05:27 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

It took seven posts for someone to mention either Harold Ballard or Alan Eagleson?

Old
03-29-2005, 05:51 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
It took seven posts for someone to mention either Harold Ballard or Alan Eagleson?
Good one. Heres some for Ballard. Lann McDonald getting traded away which was Sittler's best friend, because Ballard hated the fact that Sittler had no trade on his contract. Ballard admitting that he intentionally traded away religious players.

The Gilmour leaving the team in the middle of the year thing with Calgary.

How about this one. Mike Keane leaving the Colorado Avs in '97 signing with NYR for more money and then stating that its because of his "desire to win another championship". For the record the Avs won a Cup in '01 and the Rangers have never made the playoffs since '97.

Old
03-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
The whole Bobby Clarke and Roger Nielson thing is one of the worst for sure.

Old
03-29-2005, 06:18 PM
acr*

Eagleson has done a lot to make this list, but I'll go with what he did to Bobby Orr in 1976.

The Bruins offered Orr a deal for not much money, but something like a quarter share of the franchise, and Eagleson neglected to tell him that and forced Orr to sign with Chicago for a slightly higher salary, because that's more money in Eagleson's pocket. Orr would've made more with ownership of the Bruins, but he was screwed out of that opportunity by a corrupt agent.

Old
03-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!

Quote:
Good one. Heres some for Ballard. Lann McDonald getting traded away which was Sittler's best friend, because Ballard hated the fact that Sittler had no trade on his contract. Ballard admitting that he intentionally traded away religious players.

The Gilmour leaving the team in the middle of the year thing with Calgary.

How about this one. Mike Keane leaving the Colorado Avs in '97 signing with NYR for more money and then stating that its because of his "desire to win another championship". For the record the Avs won a Cup in '01 and the Rangers have never made the playoffs since '97.
Throw in that the Rangers signed Keane to spite the Avs for matching their offer to Joe Sakic.

Brian Burke whining about the officiating in against the Red Wings, when he used to be in charge of officiating.

Brian Burke's medical diagnosis.

Glen Sather saying he'd never lose a game if he had the Rangers budget.

Any time Sinden or Milbury used a coach as a human shield.

Nolan accusing the league of racism. You're being black balled because GM think you might get them fired.

Old
03-29-2005, 06:31 PM
acr*

The Canes' offer to Fedorov with the "Western Conference Final" incentive was just pathetic

Old
03-29-2005, 06:53 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Don Cherry, let's count the ways...

Old
03-29-2005, 09:08 PM
chooch*

Lemaire the coach asking Lafleur to sit out a bench minor.

Old
03-29-2005, 09:39 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Brett Hull telling the fans to go f**k themselves

Old
03-30-2005, 02:04 PM
acr*

Kasper benching Neely in Toronto

Pittsburgh sending Fleury back to Juniors despite the fact he was playing well because they didn't want to pay him incentive money for games played

Old
03-30-2005, 02:09 PM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
Kasper benching Neely in Toronto
Seeing Neely in tears after the game broke my heart.

Kasper

Old
03-30-2005, 02:48 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses
Mario lemieux refusing to go to the podium because he didn't want to be drafted by Pittsburgh...
This is a big one IMO...you dont hear much about it these days....at least Lindros went up there

Old
03-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
This is a big one IMO...you dont hear much about it these days....at least Lindros went up there
Who the hell did Lemieux think was going to draft him? He should have seen it coming long ago.

Old
03-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
Eagleson has done a lot to make this list, but I'll go with what he did to Bobby Orr in 1976.

The Bruins offered Orr a deal for not much money, but something like a quarter share of the franchise, and Eagleson neglected to tell him that and forced Orr to sign with Chicago for a slightly higher salary, because that's more money in Eagleson's pocket. Orr would've made more with ownership of the Bruins, but he was screwed out of that opportunity by a corrupt agent.

Don't forget that dirtbag Bill Wirtz. It's relatively minor compared to the whole Orr/Eagleson mess, but how about keeping your team's home games off local TV for the last few decades, even when Blackhawks fans were jamming Chicago Stadium?

http://www.wirtzsucks.com/news/black...ines110603.htm

Old
03-30-2005, 03:57 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
The whole NHL and NHLPA CBA thing. Can't believe nobody's mentioned that yet.

Old
03-30-2005, 05:13 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
Who the hell did Lemieux think was going to draft him? He should have seen it coming long ago.
Exactly... I don't get it either...

There's not much about the man that I do get in fact.

Old
03-30-2005, 06:55 PM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses
Exactly... I don't get it either...

There's not much about the man that I do get in fact.

It was a contract negotiation tactic and one that the media leapt on.

But at least he was upfront instead of like 99 hiding behind his bunny wife and telling all the edmonton fans that he was "sold" when in fact he was after US $.

Old
03-30-2005, 07:11 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch

It was a contract negotiation tactic and one that the media leapt on.

But at least he was upfront instead of like 99 hiding behind his bunny wife and telling all the edmonton fans that he was "sold" when in fact he was after US $.
It was a contract negotiation tactic? OK... Well I could rob your house as a tactic to make money and that doesn't make it right...

As for your comments on Wayne, they are meaningless because everything you say about the man is a fabrication... It always has been.

Closed Thread