HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Greedy/thoughtless things Hockey people have done

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Kevin Lowe (I believe) killed a young family as a result of drinking and driving
Not sure on that one. If its what I think you are thinking then its Craig MacTavish drinking and driving and killing a young woman in 1984 while he was with the Bruins. I wouldnt throw that in as intentional though.

Old
04-15-2005, 06:33 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Throw in Dom assualting a guy in a roller game.
That was a love tap, compared with the time he choked Jim Kelley, for inquiring about the condition of his groin injury, during a playoff series for Buffalo against Ottawa.

Old
04-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
Not sure on that one. If its what I think you are thinking then its Craig MacTavish drinking and driving and killing a young woman in 1984 while he was with the Bruins. I wouldnt throw that in as intentional though.
Ah yes, it was Craig MacTavish.

I personally think drinking and driving is one of the most selfish, thoughtless and irresponsible things any person can do.

Old
04-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Ogopogo*

Pocklington selling Gretzky and unloading the rest of the Oiler stars to save his other businesses.

To this day, his life is in danger if he sets foot in Edmonton

Old
04-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by roast
I believe with Lemieux he was quoted as saying at the time it was the contract they were going tooffer him, not the team.
No excuses. That is one of the lowest class things a player can do. Mario was worse than Lindros, at least Lindros came down and took the jersey in his hand, Mario didn't even do that.

Old
04-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMite
The Hunter shot on Turgeon after he scored in the playoffs is definately a thoughtless one. And the way the players and coach handled it was no better. Here's an interesting quote from the Washington Post at the time.

"After the game, the Capitals closed their locker room to the media, a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence for this organization. Coach Terry Murray was nowhere to be seen. A few players wandered out and spoke softly in the crowded hallway, then disappeared. For a club that prides itself on public relations, it was a dismal moment. The measure of a team is how well it handles the toughest losses, and this one really frazzled the coach and the players.

It was ugly and messy and disgusting, all of it."
The Tucker elbow on Niedermayer was a freaking disgrace, as well.

Old
04-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
The Tucker elbow on Niedermayer was a freaking disgrace, as well.
Domi.....

Old
04-22-2005, 07:31 PM
chooch*

Quote:
No excuses. That is one of the lowest class things a player can do. Mario was worse than Lindros, at least Lindros came down and took the jersey in his hand, Mario didn't even do that.
Easy on Mario - he was 18.

It wasnt as bad as Wally Gee having a bad hair day and closing down the Gretzky thread.

Old
04-22-2005, 09:56 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

This thread is hilairous. You guys who are trying to bash the Leafs, at least get your facts straight! Domi decapitated the gutless puke Scott Niedermayer. Too bad he didn't get Scott Stevens while he was at it (of cousre he was sitting in the penalty box and had a lot of courage when he coudn't get near Domi). And the one saying Domi sucker punching Samuelsson-- Christ that should be a National Holiday now: whack a SWEDE day!

As for my contribution: The 22 owners who greedily accepted the $500+ million in expansion fees just to line their greedy pockets. That is what led us into this mess we are currently in.

Old
04-22-2005, 10:44 PM
jacketracket*

Guerin taking batting practice with a minor-leaguer during camp.

Old
04-23-2005, 12:15 AM
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket
Guerin taking batting practice with a minor-leaguer during camp.
Sorry but doing something stupid in the heat of the moment is neither thoughtless nor would it be considered greedy by any stretch of the imagination.

Old
04-23-2005, 10:10 AM
jaws

Anything an NHL owner did from 1917-present. Also add the Hockey Hall of Fame for their hypocracy and allowing criminals into something that is supposibly a sacred shrine for hockey.

Its funny how you guys mention Domi's (great punch) on Ulfy, but fail to mention Ulfy and how he destroyed Cam Neely's career, along with a few others thanks to gutless knees, taking out someone's eye with his stick, and turtling. Throw in Claude Lemieux for that one too, eh. And hitting Draper from behind. Tie does 2 cheap shots, and everyone hates him, while these guys made a living on being cheap/gutless, and no one says anything, unbelievable.

Old
04-23-2005, 12:09 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton Fraser
Sorry but doing something stupid in the heat of the moment is neither thoughtless nor would it be considered greedy by any stretch of the imagination.
Sorry to need to inform you of this, but "...doing something stupid in the heat of the moment.." is the very definition of "thoughtless".

Old
04-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket
Sorry to need to inform you of this, but "...doing something stupid in the heat of the moment.." is the very definition of "thoughtless".
When I think of thoughtless used in connection with the term greedy I am more prone to think of events where someone was classless, or did something that was wrong as a person. Cheap shots even as bad as Bertuzzi's and McSorley's happen in hockey.... I just don't think they are the same as thoughtless actions.

Old
04-23-2005, 01:09 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Dany Heatley behind the wheel of his Ferrari?

Nowhere near the top of the list, but a fine example of solipsism has gotta be Dom Hasek.

Hasek gets Nolan fired, and later forces his trade to Detroit for a song. He retires, attempts manslaughter on some poor roller-hockey schmuck, unretires, destroying Curtis Josephs confidence forever, and then re-retires. Oh, and then unretires again, forcing Lalime to be another in the long line of goalies sent to Siberia (St. Louis), and threatens, yet again, to retire at the start of this coming season, leaving Ottawa without anyone in goal.

Never mind how many times he threw a tantrum mid-game, and left his team in the lurch.

Dominic Hasek: probably the most talented goalie of all time, but also the biggest bag of dicks you'll (n)ever meet.

Old
04-23-2005, 01:10 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton Fraser
When I think of thoughtless used in connection with the term greedy I am more prone to think of events where someone was classless, or did something that was wrong as a person. Cheap shots even as bad as Bertuzzi's and McSorley's happen in hockey.... I just don't think they are the same as thoughtless actions.
When I see the "/" between the words greedy and thoughtless, I think "greedy and/or thoughtless". And when I think of a thoughtless act I think of an act done rashly, without consideration of the consequences.

IMO, the incidents you've mentioned fall squarely into that category.

Old
04-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
Dany Heatley behind the wheel of his Ferrari?

Nowhere near the top of the list, but a fine example of solipsism has gotta be Dom Hasek.

Hasek gets Nolan fired, and later forces his trade to Detroit for a song. He retires, attempts manslaughter on some poor roller-hockey schmuck, unretires, destroying Curtis Josephs confidence forever, and then re-retires. Oh, and then unretires again, forcing Lalime to be another in the long line of goalies sent to Siberia (St. Louis), and threatens, yet again, to retire at the start of this coming season, leaving Ottawa without anyone in goal.

Never mind how many times he threw a tantrum mid-game, and left his team in the lurch.

Dominic Hasek: probably the most talented goalie of all time, but also the biggest bag of dicks you'll (n)ever meet.
Nolan is quite the dick too. I don't think we can drop that little episode squarely in Hasek's lap. Why has Nolan never coached in the NHL again? Nobody wants his miserable attitude.

Old
04-23-2005, 01:24 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Nolan is quite the dick too. I don't think we can drop that little episode squarely in Hasek's lap. Why has Nolan never coached in the NHL again? Nobody wants his miserable attitude.
FWIW, Nolan is a coach. Being a dick can be an asset (cross-ref: Hitchcock, Ken and Keenan, Mike just for a start)

I'm not a Nolan apologist -- he's clearly got some issues, but to go from the Jack Adams to nowhere overnight... a little extreme for a mere 'attitude problem' to me. And for what it's worth, aside from Dom, most of his players loved Ted.

In my mind you never choose a star player over a successful coach. Jagr forced the same thing in Washington -- result? Caps stink on ice for years to come, Washington's core asked for trades, and Ron Wilson is on the upswing in San Jose.

Old
04-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Epsilon
#TeamRaccoon

I love how this myth has perpetuated that Hasek, a player, not only got Nolan fired, but somehow blackballed from any other position with any other team.

Nolan got fired because he had his eye on the GM position, and that's why no other GM has ever brought him in.

Old
04-23-2005, 01:52 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
I love how this myth has perpetuated that Hasek, a player, not only got Nolan fired, but somehow blackballed from any other position with any other team.

Nolan got fired because he had his eye on the GM position, and that's why no other GM has ever brought him in.
I never said Hasek got Nolan blackballed. I don't even think he's been blackballed at all. I'm not a big adherent of any conspiracy theories, much less this one. However, Ted was a good coach, and I think it's a shame that his career was effectively ended.

Old
04-23-2005, 06:11 PM
salzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
I never said Hasek got Nolan blackballed. I don't even think he's been blackballed at all. I'm not a big adherent of any conspiracy theories, much less this one. However, Ted was a good coach, and I think it's a shame that his career was effectively ended.
Yes, it's a shame when talented people let their ego get the better of them.

Old
04-23-2005, 06:42 PM
jaws

I've heard so many rumours about why Nolan still isn't in the NHL. They range from Hasek, to sleeping with someone's wife, to going for the GM job, and to being a Native. One, or all may be true, but none provide a good reason for why he still isn't coaching in the league, which leads me to believe racism has the most to do with it.

Old
04-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws
I've heard so many rumours about why Nolan still isn't in the NHL. They range from Hasek, to sleeping with someone's wife, to going for the GM job, and to being a Native. One, or all may be true, but none provide a good reason for why he still isn't coaching in the league, which leads me to believe racism has the most to do with it.
I think it has more to do with getting Muckler fired. No GM wants a guy that is going to put their position at risk. He's also shown an unwillingness to do anything, but whine about not getting another job. If he coached elsewhere I think he might get another look.

Old
04-24-2005, 12:45 PM
jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
I think it has more to do with getting Muckler fired. No GM wants a guy that is going to put their position at risk. He's also shown an unwillingness to do anything, but whine about not getting another job. If he coached elsewhere I think he might get another look.
He's been coaching an Aboriginal team ever since he got fired. And I don't think GM's fearing that they will lose their job to him is the reason why he hasn't been hired. If it were true, then Mike Keenan would be out of the NHL as well.

Old
04-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws
He's been coaching an Aboriginal team ever since he got fired. And I don't think GM's fearing that they will lose their job to him is the reason why he hasn't been hired. If it were true, then Mike Keenan would be out of the NHL as well.
GMs are leary of keeping Keenan around for too long.

Closed Thread