General Stars Talk VI: Return of the Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 02:48 PM
StarsFan74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I'm kind of in a bad mood right now, if you can't tell.
I'm always in a bad mood when I wake up every morning and learn that JN is still our GM.

(P.S. I know this was posted last evening)

Old
03-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
We're not making the playoffs with this roster, now, or next year unless things are done. And they're going to be hard things to do.

Joe's seen a lot of good rosters over the years. He should know how to take the best parts out of them and find a way to build a solid roster.

He's seen how critical Zubov was to this team, how Lehtinen was, how Hatcher was, how HE was critical to Cup Winning teams. We've lost a lot of these kind of figureheads and unsung heroes over the years. We've gained a few back, but it's not enough.

We've got a terribly rag tag bunch of players beyond a few groups that are clicking. Dillon-Robidas. Nystrom-Fiddler-Garbutt. That's really about it. Everyone else has had zero chemistry or ability/time to gel. What do I think needs to be done? The hard decisions of moving out players and bringing in guys who Joe feels can work together to form a cohesive unit. I'm not really sure how Willie's doing it in Austin with the patchwork roster he's got down there due to injuries and callups, but he's doing what needs to be done in the NHL. What we have found is that the management and coaching staff has done a pretty awful job of ensuring this roster can weather an injury to a top player. It can be done. MacLean has done it in Ottawa with Karlsson, Cowen, Spezza, and Michalek out, but of course they have some slightly more talented youth in Silfverberg, Zibanejad and Turris.

We're sorely lacking the talent and cohesion level of other teams around the league. We're taking far too long to find our identity and show that we can be a winning team in this league. We've only just now found our Commander. We've only now just found our Sparkplugs. We've got our Dominator. Now we need to build out to allow players to play their game. THEIR GAMES. Not the ones the organization wants.

First off, we need another center. We need a 45 point faceoff winning hard skating center. I'm not too hung up on the offensive capabilities of the center unless they're a constant whiffer like Ott. He just needs to be able to win draws and skate with a defensive posture. Backchecking. Coming low. Whatever. We need another one at least. I know we have at least 4 in the system not even out of juniors./college yet (Molin, Faksa, Winther, Shore, Winkler, etc), but we need a stopgap until one of these guys makes the jump successfully. I'd take Peter Regin or Santorelli or something. Anything, because at least these guys have put up somewhat respectable numbers in their careers at some point. You ask, where will he play? Probably 2/3c. Then you ask, have we re-signed Roy? Hopefully. So he can play with Benn and Eriksson and put his legs to work and have a pair of very talented wingers to play with that compliment his lack of size and his game style.

Secondly, the entire current D corps outside of Dillon needs to be ejected out of a cannon or beaten until morale improves. I am absolutely flabbergasted that Gully has not put Dillon on the power play. This is probably because he has no faith in the rest of the d corps to actually defend on the PK or 5 on 5 and doesn't want Dillon to be eating 28 minutes a night. Oleksiak needs to be sent down. Jordie needs to go, too, but not because he's unseasoned, but because he's just not that good. Daley needs to eat less minutes. Goligoski needs to be sheltered a whole lot more, but can't because he's a) paid a ton and b) has no one ahead of him to shelter him. Larsen would be great as a Robidas replacement, but he can't play until Robidas is actually gone because we don't have a Dillon clone to put with him, plus we have Daley and Goligoski clogging up the "small D-man category".

Thirdly, Gully needs quit messing with **** constantly. This is compounded by the atrocious ragtag bunch of players we have acquired. Set 'em and forget em for a few games. Get the guys you want where you want them.

A couple notes on players:

Smith needs some work in the AHL. He is constantly late to plays, he can't hold onto the puck in the corners, but he's a good net driver and garbage man like Eriksson.

Oleksiak needs some work in the AHL too. Good size but needs to work on his decision making. Fortunately not his defensive decision making. Needs a confidence boost and some strength training. He's a 6'7" teddy bear in the NHL.

What should happen:

Morrow for Caron, pick, or D prospect from Pittsburgh.
Wandell for Regin, or Wandell + bos pick for Santorelli, maybe Brian Boyle? Kind of a pipedream here since Wandell got waived and no one claimed him, so we might actually have to throw in something of value.
If Roy won't re-sign, acquire signed/cost controlled center for him, ala Grabovski or Schroeder. We really should not have a problem throwing Roy a 3 year 18 million dollar contract. We clear a lot of money over the next few years, but it will probably end up being a Grossmann type issue where we don't want to give him 3 years because we have replacements for him lined up in the system.
Hell, trade Jagr too if there's a market there (because we ain't makin these playoffs). Vincour can play 3rd line defensive minutes fine, especially with a similar guy like Caron to have a big hard working third line.
Get one defenseman who isn't 6'2" or shorter. Komisarek would be a-ok by me. Maybe O'Byrne if we're going super cheap.
If we're not going to extend Nystrom and we acquire Caron, trade him for a pick.
Send Smith, Oleksiak, and Benn down.

What line should probably be:

Benn - Roy - Eriksson
Whitney - Eakin - Cole
Caron/Roussel - Regin/Santorelli/Boyle - Jagr (Jagr can play up and #1 PP minutes) / Vincour
Nystrom/Roussel - Fiddler - Garbutt
Whoever's left out.

Dillon - Robidas / Larsen
Goose - Acquisition
Daley - Rome / Robidas
Larsen

Suuri Suomalainen Maalivahti
Black Hole Bachman

Next year we should probably see:

Benn - Roy - Eriksson
Whitney - Eakin - Cole
Caron - whoever survives - Chiasson/Vincour
whoever wins out at TC - Fiddler - Garbutt

Dillon - Robidas
Acquisition/Oleksiak - Goose
Rome - Daley
Larsen

etc...

I spent way too much time on this.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

FF,

I think you and several others are just coming to the realization that this team isn't good enough. It has some decent parts but backwards moves like Ryder for Cole don't help. Sorry to say Wandell has negative value and is probably going back to Sweden next season. He's not going to get you anything useful and I doubt Regin is available for what you want to give up.

Roy's not going to sign a 3 year deal, even if you pay him more because he'll get 5 years @ 5.5+ from someone. That doesn't appear to be Dallas and I'm okay with that because he doesn't look like he'll age all that well, is slow and has a terrible injury history. We want someone like him but maybe not him.

So that leaves Morrow, Jagr, and Roy as trade bait. I hope they can get a Rundblad type for Jagr, a pick or Caron for Morrow and pray you can get at least a 2nd and a prospect for Roy. I wish it was Jensen. It may have to be Schroeder but there should be something.

Then in the offseason I think you can move Robidas, decide if you're going to keep Larsen or move him and hopefully get a 5-8th overall selection. Barkov could do wonders for this club starting next season.

Eakin is probably not a 2nd line center on a upper tier team but with the right wingers I think he can be pretty good and maybe grow into the role.

One of Roussel or Chiasson has to step up as a 3rd line center next season. Smith has to take strides to be better offensively and Fraser has got to continue to score. It's not a bad team it's unfortunately just beginning it's remake and until Joe accepts that backwards moves like Cole are going to continue to happen.

This organization has several good to very good complementary players like Fraser, Nemeth, Oleksiak etc. It really, really needs a stud up front to go with Benn and one on the back end. I just don't see them falling to a top five pick but thankfully this is a deep enough draft that a really good player could be found in the later part of the top ten. The one thing they can't do is repeat missing the playoffs and getting another 11-14th pick.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

I don't think we are giving Roussel enough credit, he's shown signs of being a second line winger and I would have no issue with it if he keeps his play up.

Roussel is currently averaging 9-10 minutes of ice time while putting up 9 points in 17 games. That's 0.53 pts on average per game.

Benn is averaging double the ice time with 16 points in 19 games, which is 0.84 pts per game.

If we take into consideration time on ice, Benn averages close to 20 minutes, while Roussel is averaging around 10 minutes. 60 minutes in a game, Benn is playing 1/3 of total ice time while Roussel is playing 1/6 of total ice time.

Roussel: 10 minutes x 17(60) minutes = 10,200 minutes
Benn: 20 minutes x 19(60) = 22,800

Roussel: 9 / 10,200 = 0.00088 points per minute x 60 = 0.053 points per game
Benn: 16 / 22,800 = 0.00070 points per minute x 60 = 0.042 points per game

Roussel > Benn

Yes Benn likely plays against the other team's top line...but blah

Edit: Just for the Nazi's like posters out there, I'm not making a case that Roussel is actually better than Benn, just used him as an example to boast Roussel's performance. If you are going to make the case that my games played sample size is too small, I don't care. I realize this could make someone who played 1 game in the NHL the best all time.

Last edited by Nemeth: 03-15-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old
03-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I never really thought this team was very good. On paper, the forwards looks great. In reality they're a ******* mess of high flying offensive guys and no defensive depth. We still haven't truly replaced the third line of years past. (Viva le Finns).

Peter Regin has been downright awful for the Sens and has been eclipsed by Turris, Zibanejad, and Spezza (obviously). And Zack Smith. He's 100% available and probably going to hit UFA next year. Santorelli has been useless in Florida and needs a new chance. Boyle's been bad, too, and probably needs out from under Torts' thumb. Which is why I think it won't cost too much to acquire them and at least try them out, even though we could just sign Regin in the offseason. I don't think Roussel or Chiasson is the solution to 3c next year. Definitely not. Roussel is a good bottom 6 winger, but he's not center material. If he keeps up his tenacious play, he'

Eakin is fine as a 2c if he has offensively geared wingers. You can't have 3 super offensive guys on the same line or they'll get victimized constantly. Look at the Alfie-Spezza-Heatley line or Couture-Jumbo-Marleau. Sniper, playmaker, two-way guy, with some overlap. Or hell, look at Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis. It's about building lines with balance of complements.

I don't think the Cole move is a backward step, per say. The pick might've been the more annoying part, but either way it's getting rid of the guy we brought in to play with Ribs after getting rid of Ribs and replacing him with a guy to replace Morrow who we're going to get rid of and allow him to mentor a similar style player in Chiasson and possibly Vincour. In the end we'll get our rental pieces.

Our back end stud is Dillon. Have you seen him play? I have high hopes for the kid. And hopefully Oleksiak can prove he can be studlier.

We need a few more studs in certain positions. I mean, Pittsburgh wouldn't have all of their success without Staal/Sutter and Cooke. And Engelland. They'd just be a one dimensional team like the Oilers.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Captain Awesome

Benn was top 3 in EV points/game last year if I remember correctly. He seems to be having a down year. For everyone complaining about chemistry it is difficult to have if you keep turning over a third of the roster every year.

I get the feeling that if the playoffs aren't made this is Joe's last year, and Gulutzan is as good as gone too. Otherwise I can't see why he'd have some of the guys up that he does including Oleksiak and Smith. No, they aren't bad options, but it's clear both of them could use a little more AHL time. I actually think it's great that both of them have gotten a sizable chunk of NHL playing time, now they can go back and they'll know exactly what to work on for the future. I just really wish Joe had the stones to trade away guys like Robidas, Ribeiro, Ott, and Morrow away a couple of years ago. We'd be sucking but at least it would be for a useful purpose. Now we're just an awkward middling team who looks like a playoff team half the time and a lottery team the other half. This is especially annoying as we are one of the most awful teams when it comes to drafting in the 1st round, but we're so good at rounds 2-7 that it doesn't make any sense at all.

I think trading away Jagr is a pipe dream at this point. I think Roy could get a big return, including a 1st round pick and a prospect. No, he hasn't looked all that special, but top 6 centers come at a premium and they're almost never available. I bet Vancouver regrets the hell out of trading Hodgson right about now.

I have this sinking feeling that Joe tries to pull off another big move for the purposes of making the playoffs now. Nightmare scenario being we trade away something significant for a guy like Iginla, or trading Roy for a lesser center like we did with Ryder (god do I hate that trade).

Old
03-15-2013, 04:31 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I have this sinking feeling that Joe tries to pull off another big move for the purposes of making the playoffs now. Nightmare scenario being we trade away something significant for a guy like Iginla, or trading Roy for a lesser center like we did with Ryder (god do I hate that trade).
I have that same sinking feeling. Joe very well may think his job is on the line and will attempt to scratch and claw this team into the playoffs. I could totally see him giving up a young important piece for an aging player who he remembers from his playing days but is really on a shadow of his former self.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

You can't half ass things. I'm not sure the reasoning behind keeping Morrow on. Robidas seems to have gotten one too many years. Daley's extension was equally puzzling but we need depth like him in the lineup.

I don't think Joe can really do anything to get this team into the playoffs beyond acquiring some depth. We don't need a big superstar like Iginla or Bouwmeester. We just need some competent depth to put players back into their comfort zones and either work them out of them or ditch 'em.

I don't think Joe will be gone. Gully's probably a 50/50 on going. Joe's made some mistakes, some terrible, some meh, and he's been a bit lucky. But ultimately, he's setting this team up for the long haul. He's leaning on Jackson to get him players that he wants to have on this team in the future. Gully, on the other hand, hasn't figured out how to work with the tools he's been given and hasn't been able to step up HIS game to the NHL level. He tried hard last night against Anaheim, but we need to see that consistency.

The team needs to show that deadly consistency, night in, night out, and we will make the playoffs, and right now, we're all gonna be bored to tears in May when we're sitting 10th in the West again.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:25 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan17 View Post
I don't think we are giving Roussel enough credit, he's shown signs of being a second line winger and I would have no issue with it if he keeps his play up.

Roussel is currently averaging 9-10 minutes of ice time while putting up 9 points in 17 games. That's 0.53 pts on average per game.

Benn is averaging double the ice time with 16 points in 19 games, which is 0.84 pts per game.

If we take into consideration time on ice, Benn averages close to 20 minutes, while Roussel is averaging around 10 minutes. 60 minutes in a game, Benn is playing 1/3 of total ice time while Roussel is playing 1/6 of total ice time.

Roussel: 10 minutes x 17(60) minutes = 10,200 minutes
Benn: 20 minutes x 19(60) = 22,800

Roussel: 9 / 10,200 = 0.00088 points per minute x 60 = 0.053 points per game
Benn: 16 / 22,800 = 0.00070 points per minute x 60 = 0.042 points per game

Roussel > Benn

Yes Benn likely plays against the other team's top line...but blah

Edit: Just for the Nazi's like posters out there, I'm not making a case that Roussel is actually better than Benn, just used him as an example to boast Roussel's performance. If you are going to make the case that my games played sample size is too small, I don't care. I realize this could make someone who played 1 game in the NHL the best all time.
Are you kidding me? You put forth a terrible argument and then pre-emptively call those who will disagree with it "Nazi like" ?

Old
03-15-2013, 05:29 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
So it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Are you kidding me? You put forth a terrible argument and then pre-emptively call those who will disagree with it "Nazi like" ?
If I started watching hockey this year, I'd probably think Roussel was a better player than Benn, to be honest.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Troy McClure

Yeah, Benn is having a crappy season. A handful of stat-padding gift assists from Jagr being Jagr is all that is keeping people from being upset about his play.

Benn has been terrible in his own end. He's earned his spot as the team minus leader. Guy gives poor effort in his own end and is frequently unable to understand his responsibilities.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
This year's looking like an outlier for most of our forwards. Especially the ones we've relied on going into the season, to get us back into the playoffs.

Benn and Loui obviously stand out the most. Morrow is.....Morrow. Nothing out of the norm there, really.

03-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

Quote:
What.....dude it's just a number game. Your hate for Roussel is strong young padawan. Anyone can make a player look better then another, and I don't think anyone would argue with me that they think Roussel is better than Benn. You kind of just exemplified my strongly worded "Nazi poster". Unnecessary I agree, but it gets the point across.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Old
03-15-2013, 06:19 PM
txomisc

that sure is a nice shade of green

Old
03-15-2013, 06:45 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Damn, what a great looking jersey! Love the shade of green as well!

Old
03-15-2013, 06:46 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
So it goes.

Would be much happier if those clovers weren't on there.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:51 PM
________

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
It's a St Patrick's day jersey the Stars are going to use for warmups.

Here's another photo.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:09 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan17 View Post
What.....dude it's just a number game. Your hate for Roussel is strong young padawan. Anyone can make a player look better then another, and I don't think anyone would argue with me that they think Roussel is better than Benn. You kind of just exemplified my strongly worded "Nazi poster". Unnecessary I agree, but it gets the point across.
Roussel is garbage. It's just a question of how long it takes everyone to realize it.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:13 PM
txomisc

definitely looks like a different shade of green than last years st patricks day warmups. Its probably the same shade that other teams are using tho so i doubt its indicative of the stars upcoming shade of green.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:13 PM
TrillMike

They should wear those bad boys during the game.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Roussel is garbage. It's just a question of how long it takes everyone to realize it.
Christ piqued why are you so ****ing irrational about him? For god's sake one is saying he's a superstar or even a star but he's useful to just about any team. He hits, he skates, he competes, he wins puck battles, he appears to have decent ice vision. Good lord be just a little objective and you'd see he's a decent player.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Troy McClure

And who would play over Roussel if he was gone?

Old
03-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
We're not making the playoffs with this roster, now, or next year unless things are done. And they're going to be hard things to do...

We've got a terribly rag tag bunch of players beyond a few groups that are clicking...

Hell, trade Jagr too if there's a market there (because we ain't makin these playoffs).
You made some interesting suggestions, but I think you're overly pessimistic about this team. They need Lehtonen to stay healthy and to get Jagr & Benn going better, whether on the same or separate lines. They play a lot of good teams down the stretch, but they also have a lot of home games and more rest than in the first half. We'll see what happens, but Jagr's been leading "rag-tag" teams to the playoffs for most of the past 15 years. I know he's not planning on missing the playoffs, but it's going to go down to the wire either way. The Pens won the division in '98 with their #4 forward scoring 42 points (top line of Jagr, mid-30s Francis & Stu Barnes), while the Rangers almost won the division with mid-30s Rucchin centering the second line and then made it to the second round with a rookie Dubinsky centering the first line. Those defenses wouldn't remind anyone of the '70s Habs or anything.

Last edited by Czech Your Math: 03-15-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old
03-15-2013, 10:12 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

count me in the do NOT trade Jagr camp. I would love to have him for another year. It would do some damage to general public perception that you sign a NHL legend to get butts in seats and then go and trade him 30 games later. He can still play and his value is worth more than just his production.

Closed Thread