Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
So he's saying Tampa and Dallas are both bad situations, and you want the guy they just fired?
Two completely opposite coaching styles.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:49 PM
usefulfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
How would you describe Boucher's style? I don't know much about the guy.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
I know.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:13 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

God, I hope they hire Ruff and leave Cooper available.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:36 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Here's the exact Mayor quote.

Quote:
@mayorNHL: TBL firing coach Guy Boucher partly due to players not respecting him sounds very similar to what may be brewing in Dallas w/ Glen Gulutzan.
Quote:
@mayorNHL: @LAKingsDru Was told several times over the past week that some players have tuned him out, don't listen, etc. Issue brewing there.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Here's the exact Mayor quote.
There's also another tweet in there where he answers somebodies question about it.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
So he's saying Tampa and Dallas are both bad situations, and you want the guy they just fired?
Boucher is 10 times the coach that Gulutzan is.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
03-24-2013, 03:53 PM
beardedgraf

I dont know much about Boucher but what is so appealing about him and what has earned him so much praise from some Stars fans?

Old
03-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

He's a hard ass like Tortorella, and an excellent tactician. Seeing him in the AHl playoffs was really fun to watch. He'd get the slackers in line.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Morrow's going to the Pens.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Sports
McDavid

@DarrenDreger
Source say the Pens and Stars have a trade in place for Brendan Morrow. However, he has yet to waive no trade clause.

ITS HAPPENING

Old
03-24-2013, 04:13 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Joe Morrow is speculated! Please be true!

Old
03-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Dillon-Morrow
Oleksiak-Nemeth
Bystrom-Larsen

Yep.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Dillon-Morrow
Oleksiak-Nemeth
Bystrom-Larsen

Yep.
Only problem is that is alot of left handed shots.

-Vagrant
Old
03-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Only problem is that is alot of left handed shots.
Lots of physicality and size

Old
03-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Can't teach size....

Old
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Absolutely. Just saying we could use a righty or two. I mean, the only right handed d-men in the system are Larsen, Vance, and Klingberg. Extremely thin.

Old
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Absolutely. Just saying we could use a righty or two. I mean, the only right handed d-men in the system are Larsen, Vance, and Klingberg. Extremely thin.
Yeah I'm with ya man, but the Dallas defense has an incredibly bright future for sure.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:13 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
I know the owner is new. What I was trying to say is that if the owner isn't good or doesn't have a championship as the eventual goal, then it may not matter much in the long term whether they tank or squeak into the playoffs, as it will be difficult to be successful.

It makes sense to trade Morrow for a decent return. Same with Roy, except he's more important to the success of this team this season. I wouldn't count on Roy returning, but stranger things have happened. He may not get the offer he wants in FA, due to questions over his health, and decide to sign somewhere for a year to prove he can still produce over a full season. He may get great offer(s) from bad team(s) and give a team like Dallas the chance to match. He may get a great offer from a contending team and never look back.

I'm not sure I lack that much understanding of the team's recent history, but I don't pretend to be an expert on this team. The situation as portrayed on this board is:

A) new owner
B) GM & coach that many, perhaps most, want fired
C) recent history of coming "oh, so close" to making the playoffs
D) some forwards whose contracts expire at the end of the season (Jagr, Roy, Morrow)

The "loyal" fans of this team seem to want:

A) team to lose and not make playoffs, so that
B) they get a better draft pick, and
C) it gets the GM & coach fired, hastening the rebuild of the organization

I guess that isn't so unique, as there are even Cup-winning coaches that fans want fired. If you're that sure that your GM & coach will not lead to success, then I understand wanting a change at those positions, just as you would at any position on the ice.

I think fans get too caught up in future visions of grandeur, instead of accepting that it's never easy in a 30 team NHL. Even with a great owner, great GM, great coach, high draft picks for a few consecutive years... there's no guarantee of success. Last year's Kings hadn't won a playoff series since 2001, but they had at least made the playoffs the previous two seasons. Making the playoffs is the first step towards present and future success.
Using the word fan in parentheses in this situation is insulting.

You see what we say as not being loyal and we see what has been done to our team as tragic (in a sports sense). Seriously now, comparing this Stars team to any Kings team from the last four years is maddeningly ridiculous; just look up and down the rosters.

It's not easy winning in a 30 team league, however for the better part of 10-15 years the Stars were one of the top 4-5 winningest franchises. We've seen what it takes to win and we know when those elements are lacking. You seem to think that as a group we are all horny for a top 3 pick because it's cool. It's not ****ing cool to pick in the top 3. It means your team is ****. But what is cool is that top 3-5 picks usually A) make an impact sooner than later and B) have higher potential than guys chosen later in the draft.

We're sick and ****ing tired of mediocrity. Frankly, I'm frustrated that we have to explain ourselves to outsiders who question our loyalty, and in your case while not even having a team of your own. Your team is whatever team your favorite player is on. For the better part of his career your favorite player was a superstar who could drag even decent teams to good places. I imagine that Washington stint must have really torn you up inside though. Oddly enough, it was only after Jagr and other star Caps players were traded and Washington embraced a rebuild that they were rewarded with Ovechkin and became a respectable hockey team.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:23 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Sorry if I'm being obtuse...

I guess I'll read up about which of the perpetually tanking teams will be in this year's finals. I'm guessing it should be Islanders or Toronto vs. Columbus or Edmonton?
Nobody here is talking about a perpetual tank. We're talking about a one-off trade of veteran players with expiring contracts who won't be re-signing here. There may be one other guy who could be available (i.e. Robidas or Daley) whose contract isn't expiring, but we're not advocating trading things that won't be gone soon anyways. If those coincide with netting a higher draft pick then all the better. Missing the playoffs is missing the playoffs. All of those teams are equally sitting on their ***** while other teams are playing hockey. There's no reward for almost making it.

If you want to lose the sarcasm and look at a team who had a top three pick last year but is doing alright this year how about starting with Montreal?

Old
03-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Seriously now, comparing this Stars team to any Kings team from the last four years is maddeningly ridiculous; just look up and down the rosters.
Yep. Don't get why anyone would use that as an example. That LA team underachieved the entire season last year. The team was always there.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:58 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Yep. Don't get why anyone would use that as an example. That LA team underachieved the entire season last year. The team was always there.
Not to mention their farm system has been one of the best over the last few years. They could trade Johnson because they had a better player in Voynov. They had Schenn who was traded for a help now player. The situations are incomparable. If anything, these Stars are like the Kings from around 2002-2009.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
We've seen what it takes to win and we know when those elements are lacking. You seem to think that as a group we are all horny for a top 3 pick because it's cool. It's not ****ing cool to pick in the top 3. It means your team is ****. But what is cool is that top 3-5 picks usually A) make an impact sooner than later and B) have higher potential than guys chosen later in the draft.
I'm not sure what you mean by "win." If you mean win championships, well admittedly that's a real longshot. If you mean make the playoffs and maybe even win a series, I think that's very possible and the goal of the team and its ownership.

Quote:
Your team is whatever team your favorite player is on. For the better part of his career your favorite player was a superstar who could drag even decent teams to good places. I imagine that Washington stint must have really torn you up inside though. Oddly enough, it was only after Jagr and other star Caps players were traded and Washington embraced a rebuild that they were rewarded with Ovechkin and became a respectable hockey team.
Pretty much. At some point you realize that most of these guys are from Timbuctu, Ontario or Doobie Cove, BC and that it's all just a fun hobby where they make millions and the fans pull their hair out. Jagr's stint with the Caps was disappointing, but as an adult it doesn't cause the same reaction as it would if I was a kid. I still get excited when he scores a big goal and a bit bummed when he was with the Caps or in the KHL for 3 years, but just accept the good and the bad, it's really no big thing to me.

Quote:
If you want to lose the sarcasm and look at a team who had a top three pick last year but is doing alright this year how about starting with Montreal?
Montreal's a good example of a team that wasn't nearly as bad as the standings indicated last year, and probably not nearly as good as they indicate this year. That's why I don't understand how everyone is so sure this team will finish 9th or 10th this season, based on last year's results. It's a different team, a different season, who knows what will happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
I didn't say Dallas this season was as good as the Kings last season. However, if the Kings hadn't made the playoffs before last season, I doubt they win the Cup. They were 6th (one point ahead of 7th) in 2010 and 8th in 2011. Even with the high draft picks and trades, when half your team hasn't played at least a couple playoff series, then it's difficult to win a Cup. What they did was still rather unusual, given the relative inexperience in the playoffs of many of their players.

Last edited by Czech Your Math: 03-24-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old
03-24-2013, 09:38 PM
BigG44

I hope we see three more roster moves on Tuesday.

1) Jordie Benn to the AHL

We know he's stuggled. We know Larsen has struggled. This is about asset management again for me. Benn can go down, and Larsen can't. Plus Dallas needs Righties on the back end. Time to truly find out if he can be one of your guys.

2) Reilly Smith to the AHL

He's a great player, and still one of my favorite prospects. These new AHL playoffs rules mean everyone can't go back down to play after the NHL season is over. He can't be one of the guys that doesn't get to participate in a long playoff run. He needs as much as any of Dallas' key prospects.

3) Call up Matt Fraser

He seriously can't do anything else in the AHL. A playoff run wouldn't hurt him, but getting going in the NHL is probably more important. He's showing down in the AHL on a nightly basis is unchallenged.

4th move on Thursday .... time to send down Joe Morrow. Let him get a practice in with Texas so he can play over the weekend.

Nystrom-Benn-Jagr
Whitney-Roy-Eriksson
Fraser-Eakin-Cole
Roussel-Fiddler-Vincour

I'd prefer Nystrom back with Fiddler, but I don't think that will happen right now. I think Fraser should get a true Top 6 spot, and Roussel belongs on the 3rd line right now.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Montreal's a good example of a team that wasn't nearly as bad as the standings indicated last year, and probably not nearly as good as they indicate this year. That's why I don't understand how everyone is so sure this team will finish 9th or 10th this season, based on last year's results. It's a different team, a different season, who knows what will happen?
Because this team is just as bad as the standing's indicated last year (and the year before, and the year before, and the year before that).

Closed Thread