Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
ey, guys. ¿How do we have 116 gf, apparently good for 4th in the west, but a negative goal diff?
...You know our defense sucks, right?

As good as Kari is, he can't cover their ass forever.

04-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
no modo I did not realize our defense sucks and our forwards are/were turnover machines.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:04 PM
aloonda*
fear the rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Good goaltending and high shooting percentage.

The Stars have had plenty of miserable seasons despite an abundance of players willing to cross the line. I'm not about to start giving them any credit now.

other than ott and morrow who would you cite?

Last edited by aloonda*: 04-14-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: bad quoting, now fixed
Old
04-14-2013, 08:08 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
A lot of teams have "skinny" versions of letters they can use in case of a particularly long name.
Yeah, I understand that. I get how you can fit a long name on a jersey without arching it but that doesn't have anything to do with the comment I initially responded to a few days ago. He was saying that a longer name should have a slight arch while a short name looks better with a steep arch. We're debating aesthetic preference here now but the point that didn't make sense was a seemingly illogical statement.

I'll shut up now as I don't really care a whole lot about jerseys in the first place.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:09 PM
txomisc

the stars arent crossing any lines. They are playing good clean speedy hockey and getting very good goaltending.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:09 PM
hairylikebear
RIP HFStars

Burish, Nystrom, Robidas, Fistric, Wathier and whoever else I'm forgetting. There have been lots.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
ey, guys. ¿How do we have 116 gf, apparently good for 4th in the west, but a negative goal diff?
This team had a number of horrible blowout losses.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Satan
depression cherry

vCash: 69
Quote:
Remember that one night when Chicago played at our barn and I ended up getting really drunk?

Like a few people mentioned, we got our keisters handed to a few times.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Brand New Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Yeah, I understand that. I get how you can fit a long name on a jersey without arching it but that doesn't have anything to do with the comment I initially responded to a few days ago. He was saying that a longer name should have a slight arch while a short name looks better with a steep arch. We're debating aesthetic preference here now but the point that didn't make sense was a seemingly illogical statement.

I'll shut up now as I don't really care a whole lot about jerseys in the first place.
Don't worry, your original point made sense. If the letter size was the same for everyone, you would have to arch the longer names to make them fit unless you're fine with the name running onto the shoulders.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:59 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
what lines, exactly, are you referring to?

Old
04-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Not clear whether you think this is the reason the Stars are doing well, or whether you think there has been a difference between this season and last season in terms of questionable plays.

I don't really think there has been much in the way of questionable play this season, either recently or back in January. If you want to think about it, look back to the refereeing standard at the beginning of the season, then look at the gdts on other boards when teams like the sharks and kings play the Stars. There is a ton of whining about the Stars hitting people late and not being penalized.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:01 PM
aloonda*
fear the rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Not clear whether you think this is the reason the Stars are doing well, or whether you think there has been a difference between this season and last season in terms of questionable plays.

I don't really think there has been much in the way of questionable play this season, either recently or back in January. If you want to think about it, look back to the refereeing standard at the beginning of the season, then look at the gdts on other boards when teams like the sharks and kings play the Stars. There is a ton of whining about the Stars hitting people late and not being penalized.
maybe it is better defined as all out effort as opposed to stepping across the line?

this team is giving it

not stupid penalty stuff--just grinding kinda stuff---the kind of stuff I have seen other teams not be willing to do

Old
04-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
maybe it is better defined as all out effort as opposed to stepping across the line?

this team is giving it

not stupid penalty stuff--just grinding kinda stuff---the kind of stuff I have seen other teams not be willing to do
That isn't really an either/or choice. There could be a bunch of reasons why the team is giving more effort, with a big one being that the team knows it can't rely on talent to win. The Sharks board gdt was full of whining about how the Sharks know they are talented so they don't give good effort, especially against backup goalies. Maybe that is nonsense, but they have a tendency to get outworked by teams. When the Stars get the kind of breaks they have in the past few games, specifically a 2 goal lead in the 1st period in the last b2b, they haven't taken a nap in the 2nd.

Another thing for me is the way the lines are set up. I like having 2 scoring lines, 1 checking line, and a 4th line that doesn't get much use but goes straight ahead at full speed. When Eakin and Smith were on the 3rd line, it was a scoring line rather than a checking line. Without a good defensive line, you get the 4th liners out there more than they should, and that means goals against.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:18 PM
aloonda*
fear the rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
That isn't really an either/or choice. There could be a bunch of reasons why the team is giving more effort, with a big one being that the team knows it can't rely on talent to win. The Sharks board gdt was full of whining about how the Sharks know they are talented so they don't give good effort, especially against backup goalies. Maybe that is nonsense, but they have a tendency to get outworked by teams. When the Stars get the kind of breaks they have in the past few games, specifically a 2 goal lead in the 1st period in the last b2b, they haven't taken a nap in the 2nd.

Another thing for me is the way the lines are set up. I like having 2 scoring lines, 1 checking line, and a 4th line that doesn't get much use but goes straight ahead at full speed. When Eakin and Smith were on the 3rd line, it was a scoring line rather than a checking line. Without a good defensive line, you get the 4th liners out there more than they should, and that means goals against.

agreed wholeheartedly----maybe this is the kind of mixture that gully can manage better.......

Old
04-14-2013, 10:16 PM
SonicSpeedDash
All bets are off

Of course when we're winning. Bring up the North Stars/Dallas fiasco.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Old
04-15-2013, 12:43 AM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Goligoski is tied for fourth in assists and tied for 11th in points with Duncan Keith. Only Subban, Letang and Suter are ahead of Goligoski in assists.

Goligoski has 1 goal, 12 assists and a +8 in 12 games against the Sharks (3), Kings (4) and Ducks (5). With one game left against the Kings and Sharks.

Last edited by ________: 04-15-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old
04-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Pohlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Goligoski is tied for fourth in assists and tied for 11th in points with Duncan Keith. Only Subban, Letang and Suter are ahead of Goligoski in assists.

Goligoski has 1 goal, 12 assists and a +8 in 12 games against the Sharks (3), Kings (4) and Ducks (5). With one game left against the Kings and Sharks.
The early season Goligoski hate train never stopped rolling after the start to the season. He has been solid as hell for the past 20 games, much to the disappointment of this board.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:13 AM
aloonda*
fear the rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohlow View Post
The early season Goligoski hate train never stopped rolling after the start to the season. He has been solid as hell for the past 20 games, much to the disappointment of this board.

Glad to see him doing better in his own end lately. I think his recent pairing suits him well.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:49 AM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

I don't feel Goose has been much better in his own end. I think his offense has picked up and made his bad defense a little more bearable.

I agree Dillon is masking his mistakes better.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Troy McClure

Goose is no longer afraid of the puck. That has helped tremendously in both ends. His passes are cleaner. The puck isn't bouncing off of his stick.

He'll never be a good defender, but he can help himself a lot by being cleaner with the puck in his own end, which he seems to be doing.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:15 AM
aloonda*
fear the rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
I don't feel Goose has been much better in his own end. I think his offense has picked up and made his bad defense a little more bearable.

I agree Dillon is masking his mistakes better.
yes
probably a better way to phrase it

Old
04-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

NHL named Bachman one of the 3 stars:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=665850

Old
04-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Troy McClure

Good for him. That's a big rebound from a guy who couldn't stop a beachball earlier in the season. With Kari going down, he had to up his game, and he did.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:35 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
NHL named Bachman one of the 3 stars:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=665850
I don't want to hear people complaining about the Stars not getting any recognition for at least a few days now.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I don't want to hear people complaining about the Stars not getting any recognition for at least a few days now.
Has anybody complained about that? I am pretty sure the lack of attention was helping the team.

Closed Thread