HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kaleta gets 5 games ; Mod Warning post 333.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:38 PM
comeonnow

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to comeonnow
Ok with the suspension, could have been more could have been less....expected. Some people act as if he's Todd Bertuzzi. He only served 20 games.

comeonnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:39 PM
schabadoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
Cuz that's what Shanny is doing. He wouldn't say he thought Kaleta meant any harm, he just said he's a 'repeat offender'. You ought to follow the conversation before you comment on it.
You made a terrible analogy, no real shame in it. Own it.

You could put forth an honest effort: 'A bank robber does 17 years, and after he gets out he's caught again and is convicted of armed robbery.'

There, easy.

schabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:39 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57* View Post
I've been saying this since the hit happened and people seem to disagree.

For example, say Crosby throws Lucic in the boards like that, do you HONESTLY think Shanahan will do anything? No

Get rid of Shanafail, he has not done anything since being hired. I liked Campbell better
Well obviously nothing happens by the league when you cross check lucic, just happened not long ago. Very similar to Kaleta on richards

The Dangley One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:47 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

5 games deserved. Enjoy the time off, Kaleta.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Awesome. Just like most Ranger fans predicted, too. Also like this because the dirtbag will get more games the next time he pulls something similar.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Awesome. Just like most Ranger fans predicted, too. Also like this because the dirtbag will get more games the next time he pulls something similar.
Yeah, most Rangers fans were pretty much non-biased in all of this. None of us thought more than 5 or so games would be warranted. Well done, Rangers fans. Well done.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yeah, most Rangers fans were pretty much non-biased in all of this. None of us thought more than 5 or so games would be warranted. Well done, Rangers fans. Well done.
According to Tortorella's non-biased opinion, it was the worst hit he's ever seen. It SHOULD have gotten more games than Torres. I guess that's a "bad job John, bad job". Plus Richards was out for :50 of game time. I think Hossa was out just a little bit longer. lol

Quote:
If Richards gets bought out, there won't be anyone left with that bad of balance, so not likely.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:18 PM
MGIII
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendresse View Post
So half of the Sabres' fan are complaining because Shanahan is punishing the result rather than the action, and the other half is complaining because Richards came back during the game?

Rofl, make up your mind.
We apologize that the Sabres fan base isn't some hivemind, suitable for easy generalizations. We'll work on that.

MGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:18 PM
schabadoo

Quote:
According to Tortorella's non-biased opinion, it was the worst hit he's ever seen.
Do you have a link somewhere for that? All I found was this:

"It's probably one of the most dangerous hits I've ever seen," Rangers coach John Tortorella said after the game."

Old
03-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:

If Richards gets bought out, there won't be anyone left with that bad of balance, so not likely.
Is this supposed to be insulting and/or funny? Failed on both accounts if so

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:25 PM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

5 games for a love tap followed by an exaggerated jump face first into the boards?

Strange.

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Is this supposed to be insulting and/or funny? Failed on both accounts if so
It's serious. In all the hockey I've watched, and all the nudging that's taken place, this is the first time I've seen a player go flailing into the boards like that from that small a push.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schabadoo View Post
Do you have a link somewhere for that? All I found was this:

"It's probably one of the most dangerous hits I've ever seen," Rangers coach John Tortorella said after the game."
Ok, find the quote, then ask for a link to it?? If that's the most dangerous hit ever, then how is 5 games acceptable. If I saw the most dangerous hit I've ever witnessed, and I was a middle-aged NHL coach, I'd expect a lifetime ban.

Can we play analogy again? worst=most dangerous. Oh I get it, you thought I was quoting him about Torres hit. Nope, just assuming if Torres hit was dangerous, and he saw it, that this was worse. Logical.

Quote:
You made a terrible analogy, no real shame in it. Own it.

You could put forth an honest effort: 'A bank robber does 17 years, and after he gets out he's caught again and is convicted of armed robbery.'

There, easy.
Are you a law student or something?

Apple=orange, apple=apple, orange=orange. Whatever I say=right, whatever you say=wrong.

There, easy, right??

This suspension is in now way similar to his previous suspension, therefore it is not equal(=). kk

Last edited by Daz28: 03-04-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old
03-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieCrumbs View Post
5 games for a love tap followed by an exaggerated jump face first into the boards?

Strange.
That would be strange.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:36 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

5 games for a crosscheck. Except it wasn't a crosscheck. It was nothing.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 03-04-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: no generalized flames please (ie "anyone who thinks X _____" statements)
SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:37 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Yet again Shanahan pulls out a random suspension to set new standards. Sadly by tomorrow it will be forgotten again. I look forward to all his explanations on why similar looking hits to come receive nothing.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Rant Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Wrong again.

No, first timers should have more severe punishment, further solidifying the effort to get rid of this kind of play. Start making suspensions to first timers more harsh and start sending the message the right way.

You speak of "get out of jail free" cards, but in this situation, where would anyone being getting out of jail free if we're maximizing punishment for first timers?

The notion that someone that's a repeat offender and someone who is a first timer should get the same punishment is ridiculous.
It's not ridiculous, it is parity. If the message you send is one of "this time you're getting off easy, the next time will be severe", what message are you trying to get across? That it's permissible to run someone the first time so have at it, next time is all you...

Punish the first event as equally as a repetition, restrict the potential for repeat offenses. Perhaps if Kaleta had been handed down a five game suspension the first time he ever ran someone in the numbers he would have concentrated on fundamentals as opposed to building his game around "playing hard-nosed hockey".

For arguments sake lets say that a player gets called up and laces them up for his first tilt in the NHL. Unfortunately he makes a judgmental error and boards a member of the opposing team. Five game suspension. Steep learning curve. Lets also say on the same night that a celebrated veteran with much hardware on the shelf does the same- error in judgment/boarding call/five game suspension as well. Isn't the inferred message that boarding will not be tolerated and swiftly punished be more beneficial than an obtuse message that states punishment will be arbitrarily handed out; taking into account the character of the individuals involved (perpetrator and victim), perceived status, and gate draw?

If you want to send a message that will propagate change, playing the pick and choose game will not get the job done.

Rant Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
That would be strange.
The last 3 posters, all of which are not Sabre or Ranger fans are finding Shanny's work strange at best as usual. Make that 4. Another poster posted while I was posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
5 games for a crosscheck. Except it wasn't a crosscheck. It was nothing.

They called it boarding, even though when the minimal contact took place, both of Richards feet were inside the faceoff circle approx 6 feet from the boards. That's when he decided to swing at the puck, and leave himself defenseless for the fall.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 03-04-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: quoting edited post
Old
03-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
The last 3 posters, all of which are not Sabre or Ranger fans are finding Shanny's work strange at best as usual.
Well if the last three said it...

Old
03-04-2013, 08:41 PM
schabadoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieCrumbs View Post

Strange.
You have to be impressed however with him selling the call:

Not many players have that kind of commitment.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Rant Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
Fair enough. I just think there's boarding penalties and then there's what Kaleta did, which was shove someone who was vulnerable head-first into the boards. I'm not saying he should have been suspended, although his past history I'm sure played a big part, but if you take Girardi's penalty; he was moving to take the body and caught Ennis from behind during the play. Should have been a penalty, sure, but not a suspension. Kaleta carelessly shoves (crosschecks) Richards in the back about 6 feet from the boards when Richards was facing away from him and was playing the puck. Kaleta should have handled that differently. I guess what I'm saying is that each penalty in general is different. A crosschecking penalty is crosschecking, but when a player crosschecks another player in the head, it should be a suspension.
That wasn't snarky at all my friend, and a valid argument. Good post.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
You have to be impressed however with him selling the call:

Not many players have that kind of commitment.
You'd think he'd block a shot once in a while...

Old
03-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Little harsh for me, but he deserved at least 3 games.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Rant Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
This improves Buffalo's chances in the next 5 games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbe42 View Post
how does this help us ?
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...han-mackinnon/

Old
03-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post

Richards put himself in an awful position and half of what happened is on him.
An absolutely ridiculously absurd statement.

He went after the puck, in a slow developing play, to put blame on Richards is nothing short of homerism, bias, or plain not paying attention.

Section 409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:50 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
The last 3 posters, all of which are not Sabre or Ranger fans are finding Shanny's work strange at best as usual. Make that 4. Another poster posted while I was posting.

They called it boarding, even though when the minimal contact took place, both of Richards feet were inside the faceoff circle approx 6 feet from the boards. That's when he decided to swing at the puck, and leave himself defenseless for the fall.
The boarding call is the correct call. Maybe you should go read the rule book.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote