HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kaleta gets 5 games ; Mod Warning post 333.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:43 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 590
Seems fair, especially since Kaleta is a repeat offender. Richards was damn lucky to not get seriously injured on that play.

oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:43 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTopCheese View Post
So now going for the puck along the boards is putting yourself in a bad position and makes you free game to get crosschecked in the numbers? News to me.
Yeah I agree...that's a complete cop-out. I understand if a player literally turns at the last second, but players should be able to pursue a puck without being at risk of being pushed head-first in the board.

How else is he supposed to pursue that puck? lol
Skate backwards?

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:44 PM
essen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
Definite message sent by the NHL. Hit the ice and roll around like it's a soccer game to get your way.
Have you ever played any contact sport ever? It was a textbook stinger and it looked like he got the wind knocked out of him. He's even sitting out of practice today due to "soreness."

Yeah, I'm mad enough to log in for the first time in about two years because people here are just so unbearable about this whole thing.

essen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
stallion19
DRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embryo View Post
I think since Richards was fine he should only get 1 or 2. It was an unfortunate occurrence. I don't think Kaleta was trying to hurt Richards, just rough him up, it was a close game and Richards is a guy you have to hit and hurt and wear down if you're the opposing team. And I am a Rangers fan.
Punish the act, not the result. That was not a hockey play and regardless of Richards' well being the Nhl needs to come down hard on players making those types of dangerous hits. Shanny got it right.

stallion19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PuckSim8

I agree with the ruling. My only issue is that similar dangerous hits are not punished the same way. For example the hit last season on Gerbe that caused a concussion and required back surgery got nothing, he also got boarded violently in his first game back, Ennis has been boarded frequently, and there's nothing.

Nothing

Nothing.

That's the only thing that frustrates me as a Sabres fan. The Kaleta ruling is absolutely the correct one, but it needs to be more consistent.

PuckSim8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Darth Bangkok

seems too much to me. it was a shove.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Havok89

Didn't like the hit, and didn't like how Richards was on the ice the next shift after seemingly getting shot.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Richards put himself in an awful position and half of what happened is on him.
What? Richards was like 4 feet from the boards trying to retrieve a puck that was in that direction. It's not like he had the puck and turned his back at the last second... If you think Richards "put himself in an awful position" there then you're either a homer or just have a flawed perception of the game.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

vCash: 404
Quote:
Definite message sent by the NHL. Hit the ice and roll around like it's a soccer game to get your way.
A message would have been a 10 game suspension for a guy who seemingly just does not get it but with the phone hearing it is what it is. 5 will have to do.

Mr Tarkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Obviously he's going to have questionable or dirty plays throughout his career, he's a hitter! That's what he does, and he does it a lot. Someone who lays down 7 hits a night is obviously going to have a dirty one every so often as compared to players who never go out of their way to hit. The risk of dirty plays comes with that job, and Kaleta accepts that. I would be sad to see him in another jersey, he is a warrior on the ice and lays his body on the line every night.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:46 PM
GTopCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
"Kaleta [did] not shove Richards with great force."

-Shanahan

Punishing for result rather than action and intent once again.
The harsher the better. Giving out 1 game suspensions/fines for infractions isn't going to stop players from committing them. If they know they're going to get the hammer laid down on them they'll think twice about doing something.

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:48 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
The harsher the better. Giving out 1 game suspensions/fines for infractions isn't going to stop players from committing them. If they know they're going to get the hammer laid down on them they'll think twice about doing something.
Doing something relatively innocuous? Kaleta likely didn't know his hulk strength was on this time. Intent ought to matter (like it supposedly does).

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
Obviously he's going to have questionable or dirty plays throughout his career, he's a hitter! That's what he does, and he does it a lot. Someone who lays down 7 hits a night is obviously going to have a dirty one every so often as compared to players who never go out of their way to hit. The risk of dirty plays comes with that job, and Kaleta accepts that. I would be sad to see him in another jersey, he is a warrior on the ice and lays his body on the line every night.
This is a ridiculous argument I've seen other places too. Part of being a hitter means knowing how and when to hit properly. There's a reason there's twenty nine other teams in the league with hitters and this doesn't happen with all those players, but happens all the time with Kaleta.

Grumpy Humphrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:49 PM
AD1066

Quote:
Can't believe we're still debating this.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:50 PM
GTopCheese

Quote:
Doing something relatively innocuous? Kaleta likely didn't know his hulk strength was on this time.
Crosschecking in the back going to the boards is dumb regardless of how harmless it may seem. There's no positive outcome in that situation.

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:50 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
"Kaleta [did] not shove Richards with great force."

-Shanahan

Punishing for result rather than action and intent once again.
Way to exclude the following relevant points also included by Shanahan:

- The location of the hit, regardless of the force, was dangerous, given his position to the boards.
- Repeat Offender
- Richards did NOT put himself in a dangerous position or make sudden moves (unlike what some turkeys are saying)
- Kaleta has AMPLE opportunity to make a better play.

Sounds like he's punishing for the action to me.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Regardless of how hard Kaleta crosschecked him it was a dumb, lazy, avoidable play. Combine that with the fact that he's entering Torres/Cooke territory and it was an easy decision to make.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:52 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSim8 View Post
I agree with the ruling. My only issue is that similar dangerous hits are not punished the same way. For example the hit last season on Gerbe that caused a concussion and required back surgery got nothing, he also got boarded violently in his first game back, Ennis has been boarded frequently, and there's nothing.

Nothing

Nothing.

That's the only thing that frustrates me as a Sabres fan. The Kaleta ruling is absolutely the correct one, but it needs to be more consistent.
None of those players have reputations like Kaleta.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
So now going for the puck along the boards is putting yourself in a bad position and makes you free game to get crosschecked in the numbers? News to me.
Richards didn't get crosschecked but let me paint it in a different picture. If player's are always going to the boards like Richards did on that play, there would never be hits in hockey. What's to stop players from playing the puck the way Richards did, oh that's right if you get hit in a position like that you're going to get ****ed up?

It's a dangerous play. On this I agree, and I'm not saying that what Kaleta did is right because it isn't. The suspension is worthy but some of the onus falls on Richards.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Kaleta obviously was not expecting that Richards would just collapse like that. He gave him a light shove on his ass end, and suddenly Richards was just teeth-first into the boards.

I don't know how I feel about the ruling.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Right call.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
League missed a great opportunity to send a message with these type of players (repeat offenders) and hits. With him being a repeat offender (and the history that he has) he should've got closer to 10 games.

5 games over a 48 game schedule equates out to ~8.5 games over an 82 game schedule so at 7-8 would've been more apt.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AD1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Richards didn't get crosschecked but let me paint it in a different picture. If player's are always going to the boards like Richards did on that play, there would never be hits in hockey. What's to stop players from playing the puck the way Richards did, oh that's right if you get hit in a position like that you're going to get ****ed up?

It's a dangerous play. On this I agree, and I'm not saying that what Kaleta did is right because it isn't. The suspension is worthy but some of the onus falls on Richards.
Players often go to the boards like Richards did, but 99% of the time no one shoves them in the numbers.

Is he supposed to take a wide, looping path to the puck? Maybe skate backwards?

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
Kaleta isn't a hitter, he is a rat. He runs around picking his spots. There's a difference between being tough to play against and being reckless. Kaleta knows what he's doing and he shows no respect towards good play. He deserves this 5 games because he's a repeat offender and it's definitely not the last time he does something like this. Kaleta needs to start facing his actions head on when he does something like this. This guy is a coward

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SMantzas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
You can get suspended for hitting a Ranger? This is a new one
Somebody in another thread showed that suspensions occur most frequently when a Ranger gets hit. Just saying

SMantzas is online now   Reply With Quote