HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 158: St. Pierre vs Diaz

Old
03-17-2013, 02:16 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Meh, I think Diaz is a good guy. Most guys in the UFC are. What they do isn't easy physically or mentally and I think he's been through a rough road and it can be difficult for "normal people" to understand that.

Personal matters aside, Diaz didn't fight well and GSP needs to have that killer instinct to go for the finish when it presents itself but he always wants to play it super safe and grind it out till the end. Frustrating to watch because I really want to like him as a fighter.
At this point there's no reason to expect that GSP will ever be that way. I can't blame him, and he's really good at what he does, but he's certainly not a treat to watch.

And Diaz is just really, really dumb - but in a hilarious way. I actually didn't know he never graduated high school, although it certainly explains a lot.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:26 AM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslersgirl View Post
Maybe I missed out on an earlier discussion because I wasn't near my computer during the fights, but what did people think of the NBK/Hendricks decision?
Takedowns pulled it out for Hendricks. He landed some good shots as well. Carlos Condit is an animal. Hes one of my favorite fighters because hes fearless and he just goes for it.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:41 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Takedowns pulled it out for Hendricks. He landed some good shots as well. Carlos Condit is an animal. Hes one of my favorite fighters because hes fearless and he just goes for it.
Except for the Diaz fight I would agree. In that fight he ran like a *****.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:44 AM
William H Bonney

Another GSP cuddle fest. So precious.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:50 AM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Except for the Diaz fight I would agree. In that fight he ran like a *****.
And Diaz didn't do **** either. I think Condit's last two fights were more of what hes about than the Diaz fight.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:57 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1500
Quote:
And Diaz didn't do **** either. I think Condit's last two fights were more of what hes about than the Diaz fight.
I agree. He is usually an action fighter. And one that is both very skilled and very smart. That said he was on his bicycle in the Diaz fight.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:00 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Diaz was trying to come forward and do something in that fight. Condit fought smart and had the right game plan against Diaz. He wasn't really running but he would throw a kick to score points and then get out. It was smart but it wasn't the typical Condit fight. If Condit fought Diaz the same way he fought tonight, that could have been fight of the year. He did what he needed to and won the interim title but I think we missed out on a great fight.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:20 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Todd Martin @ToddMartinMMA
Tonight, GSP set the UFC record for most consecutive time without a finish, with his 150 min topping Jon Fitch's 145 min 12 sec 2007-2011.
Congrats.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:28 AM
Kitten Mittons

I'm surprised people thought Condit-Hendricks fight was close. I saw it as domination by Johnny. Condit fought well and fought back in the third but it was all Hendricks in my eyes (and I'm a huge fan of Carlos). Sick sick fight though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Congrats.
Time for Dana to release him.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:48 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Congrats.
Also has the most title defenses in a row at his weight class tonight.

Congrats!

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:11 AM
End of Line
Human After All

GSP dominated but whenever he gets tagged like he did in the 3rd round he becomes nervous. He still has a suspect chin.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:57 AM
HOCCA Scouting
Former TribalPhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
GSP dominated but whenever he gets tagged like he did in the 3rd round he becomes nervous. He still has a suspect chin.
He has the ability to nullify a striking game with his great wrestling - nothing wrong with that in my books... why would he elect to stand with a great striker and risk the KO? I don't see Anderson Silva going for very many takedowns....

As far as GSP vs. Hendricks, one thing that stuck out about the Condit fight was that Hendricks loves to charge in to make up ground, which will walk right into GSP's takedown wheelhouse. And if he gets taken down, I see GSP definitely finishing him... Hendricks has no game off his back, and I don't see him handling the pain tolerance that Dan Hardy had when he dealt with a hard sunk in kimura and armbar.

That all said, I think age is starting to catch up with GSP. At 31, he's getting older and I think it's impacting his cardio. Perhaps it was a combination of having to use raw strength to drag Diaz down to the mat, but Diaz shouldn't have been able to stuff those takedowns. The speed wasn't there like it's been in the past.

HOCCA Scouting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalPhoenix View Post
He has the ability to nullify a striking game with his great wrestling - nothing wrong with that in my books... why would he elect to stand with a great striker and risk the KO? I don't see Anderson Silva going for very many takedowns....

As far as GSP vs. Hendricks, one thing that stuck out about the Condit fight was that Hendricks loves to charge in to make up ground, which will walk right into GSP's takedown wheelhouse. And if he gets taken down, I see GSP definitely finishing him... Hendricks has no game off his back, and I don't see him handling the pain tolerance that Dan Hardy had when he dealt with a hard sunk in kimura and armbar.

That all said, I think age is starting to catch up with GSP. At 31, he's getting older and I think it's impacting his cardio. Perhaps it was a combination of having to use raw strength to drag Diaz down to the mat, but Diaz shouldn't have been able to stuff those takedowns. The speed wasn't there like it's been in the past.
I think GSP has packed on too much muscle mass to go along with constantly fighting 5 round fights. I think what frustrates fans about GSP is that he could finish fights but hes so cautious about taking a risk he never does. Hendricks could catch him but he will probably gas out and GSP will get on top and grind him out.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:10 AM
HOCCA Scouting
Former TribalPhoenix

Quote:
I think GSP has packed on too much muscle mass to go along with constantly fighting 5 round fights. I think what frustrates fans about GSP is that he could finish fights but hes so cautious about taking a risk he never does. Hendricks could catch him but he will probably gas out and GSP will get on top and grind him out.
I can understand the frustration - it would be nice to see him finish. To play devils advocate though, he goes against the best of the best... and these best of the best can't finish him, or even decision him. Last night though, GSP was aggressive on the ground - he was trying to take Diaz's back, but couldn't get that second hook in.

All said though, I really would like to see a GSP finish. He would have finished Hardy with a pair of submissions, but that dude had unreal pain tolerance. I also thought the Koscheck fight would have been a doctor stoppage.

In all fairness, I see him submitting Hendricks. I'm calling it right now. He'll take him down, pass his guard, and I see him locking up and armbar or kimura.

HOCCA Scouting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:28 AM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

^ Hardy does have decent pain tolerance, but GSP's form wasnt' great:

There are two mistakes here, first his ankles are crossed. You get more leverage when they are seperated. Second he doesn't have control of Hardy's thumb and it is, for he most part, point towards GSP's torso when it needs to be pointed out or up.

HighAndTight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Yup. The Hendricks - GSP fight is going to be interesting. Wouldn't be surprised to see GSP get knocked out.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:45 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
GSP outstruck Diaz on the feet in the 3rd, 4th and 5th round though...

Old
03-17-2013, 02:11 PM
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo

vCash: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
GSP outstruck Diaz on the feet in the 3rd, 4th and 5th round though...
Not in the 3rd. Definitely not in the 3rd. Diaz put all of his damage on GSP in that round.

I thought Diaz may have sneaked that round depending on the judges value of TDD, which is way too nebulous.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:17 PM
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo

vCash: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalPhoenix View Post
I can understand the frustration - it would be nice to see him finish. To play devils advocate though, he goes against the best of the best... and these best of the best can't finish him, or even decision him. Last night though, GSP was aggressive on the ground - he was trying to take Diaz's back, but couldn't get that second hook in.

All said though, I really would like to see a GSP finish. He would have finished Hardy with a pair of submissions, but that dude had unreal pain tolerance. I also thought the Koscheck fight would have been a doctor stoppage.

In all fairness, I see him submitting Hendricks. I'm calling it right now. He'll take him down, pass his guard, and I see him locking up and armbar or kimura.
So does every champion...

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:37 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Not in the 3rd. Definitely not in the 3rd. Diaz put all of his damage on GSP in that round.

I thought Diaz may have sneaked that round depending on the judges value of TDD, which is way too nebulous.
Round 3 Standing Strikes:

Diaz: 16
GSP: 24

Old
03-17-2013, 02:41 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

I like when Diaz was getting pissed he started dropping his hands and taunting GSP, so GSP lands some great shots on him and then Diaz spends the rest of the fight protecting the crap out of his face.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Kitten Mittons

I find it funny that Diaz will only come out of retirement to fight GSP again. Dude has a seriously inflated sense of entitlement. Lost two fights in a row, lost the title fight badly, and is too good to fight anyone else?

He is at least two fights away from fighting GSP again. He needs to fight someone small like Ellenberger to get his confidence back, then win one of Condit/Hendricks/McDonald and only then have a right to face GSP again. Diaz brothers are pretty overrated when you look at their track record in the UFC, yet they get so much attention and so many opportunities.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:28 PM
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!

vCash: 187
Would love to see Diaz vs Rory

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I find it funny that Diaz will only come out of retirement to fight GSP again. Dude has a seriously inflated sense of entitlement. Lost two fights in a row, lost the title fight badly, and is too good to fight anyone else?

He is at least two fights away from fighting GSP again. He needs to fight someone small like Ellenberger to get his confidence back, then win one of Condit/Hendricks/McDonald and only then have a right to face GSP again. Diaz brothers are pretty overrated when you look at their track record in the UFC, yet they get so much attention and so many opportunities.
Ellenberger destroys Nick. I agree about Nick Diaz being overrated. Hes biggest win is against a LW (Gomi) even that doesn't count. Nate isn't really overrated..hes just not good enough to Benson Henderson or Anthony Pettis who are the two top LW's imo.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Would love to see Diaz vs Rory
Rory vs Ruthless Robby. Make it happen Dana.

Nick vs Nate the great.