HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 158: St. Pierre vs Diaz

Old
03-18-2013, 05:37 AM
BGDDYKWL

vCash: 500
I see a lot of people knocking GSP for not finishing guys, but I'm honestly not sure he has the ability to. I know he's a very smart/cautious fighter, but I'm not entirely sure if he really went for finishes if he'd necessarily get them. He doesn't have huge power, nor does he have a great chin, and his submission game isn't at the level where he's gonna be pulling those off left and right.

I was very surprised he struggled to take Diaz down a bit as the fight progressed, but he said he gassed which he himself thought was very strange. I'm really glad Hendricks won because even though I like Condit Hendricks really did deserve the title shot. I think he has a very realistic chance of beating the version of GSP we saw last night. I agreed with the 29-28 in his favor. That was one exciting fight. Condit took some bombs and just ate them and immediately fired back with knees and what not. Hell of a fight.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:34 AM
DaaaaB's

Condit/Hendricks certainly was a hell of a fight, I think Condit would've won had it been a 5 round fight. I like Johnny's chances against GSP though, thinking he'll win by KO.

Great debut by Jordan Mein. I was pumped to see that.

Big win for Ellenberger too. Rest of the card was meh.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I see a lot of people knocking GSP for not finishing guys, but I'm honestly not sure he has the ability to. I know he's a very smart/cautious fighter, but I'm not entirely sure if he really went for finishes if he'd necessarily get them. He doesn't have huge power, nor does he have a great chin, and his submission game isn't at the level where he's gonna be pulling those off left and right.

I was very surprised he struggled to take Diaz down a bit as the fight progressed, but he said he gassed which he himself thought was very strange. I'm really glad Hendricks won because even though I like Condit Hendricks really did deserve the title shot. I think he has a very realistic chance of beating the version of GSP we saw last night. I agreed with the 29-28 in his favor. That was one exciting fight. Condit took some bombs and just ate them and immediately fired back with knees and what not. Hell of a fight.
There were a few times he could have given Diaz knees to the ribs, ala Serra, but didn't. As if it would exert too much energy.

I'm not trying to say why he didn't do this or do that, but on more than one occasion I think he could have really hurt Diaz and chose not to.

On a separate note, will GSP ever fight in the US again? Not saying fighting in Canada is the reason for his play it safe style, but he's never going to get booed in Canada for lay n praying. I doubt much would change if he's doing the same in Vegas or elsewhere, he's a champion and professional afterall, just throwing it out there.

Last edited by Rocko604: 03-18-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:08 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:18 AM
jw2

Quote:

I think GSP could do a lot more to act like he was actually trying to do some pounding when he has position on the ground.

As for GSP being gassed... I dont recall him looking up at the time as much as he did against Diaz. I know he's glanced up in the past to see how much time he had to work, but this didnt seem like the same type of check.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:21 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Nick Diaz detained by police

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ined-by-police

IceDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:46 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
well, claiming you've never paid taxes before wasn't a good thing to do...

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
well, claiming you've never paid taxes before wasn't a good thing to do...
I doubt it was because of the taxes thing but what do i know ? I'm pretty sure the IRS would investigate before sending law enforcement after him and i doubt they did that in a 48 hours span. Then again maybe he was already on their radar and it was only a matter of time and Diaz knew it hence why he made those comments at the press conference.

But if i had to guess i'll say that he was probably smoking a blunt , was drunk , disturbed peace/was involved in an altercation or something like that. We're probably going to know more soon.

Edit : Apparently Ceasar Gracie said he wasn't arrested. Maybe he was just stopped for verification or because the cops suspected something

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:13 PM
I Am Beat You

One of the worst showings by GSP in his career, but he still won easily and beat Diaz handily in every aspect of the sport. GSP hasn't looked himself in a long time.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
There were a few times he could have given Diaz knees to the ribs, ala Serra, but didn't. As if it would exert too much energy.

I'm not trying to say why he didn't do this or do that, but on more than one occasion I think he could have really hurt Diaz and chose not to.

On a separate note, will GSP ever fight in the US again? Not saying fighting in Canada is the reason for his play it safe style, but he's never going to get booed in Canada for lay n praying. I doubt much would change if he's doing the same in Vegas or elsewhere, he's a champion and professional afterall, just throwing it out there.
The fans in Toronto booed after that awful GSP/Shields fight. He still got a lot of cheers when he won the decision but nothing compared to Montreal. According to Dana he's the biggest PPV draw so who knows what the reaction would be like if he fought somewhere else but I think people would boo during the fight if he's just laying on top of his opponent.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:12 PM
AndyPipkin

For anyone wanting to see actual Lay n Praying, just please go watch Antonio McKee's highlights. 20 decision wins only 5 finishes.

His highlight reel is so bad and devoid of actual content there is literally a clip of him putting himself into someone's guard while he's in side control...Think about that for a sec...

Old
03-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:

Did you see what happened the one time he tried to knee Diaz in the ribs repeatedly? He almost lost top position. Guys like Diaz, Shields, Condit, etc... are known for being dangerous on the bottom for a reason - they can use the moves of an aggressive top fighter to sweep themselves into top position. GSP knows that and fights conservatively to avoid end up being on the bottom. The fight having a lack of action is on both fighters.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:30 AM
Captain_Cunney

Gsp, I am not impress with your performance. That is the end of the line for this long time gsp fan, he is the mid 90s NJ devils of the UFC.

He fights like Ben askren and talks as though he fights like condit. He does not even attempt to throw fight ending kicks anymore or throw a punch that isn't a jab. He turns fights into a high level sparring match.

The Serra loss turned one of the best & most exciting fighters in the UFC into a safe boring dominant champion. It's a shame.

Biggie ups to Jordan Mein for finally getting his chance and leaving a mark! The sub defense was just incredible, If he tightens up his wrestling he will be a real factor down the road.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:36 AM
SenorDingDong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Gsp, I am not impress with your performance. That is the end of the line for this long time gsp fan, he is the mid 90s NJ devils of the UFC.

He fights like Ben askren and talks as though he fights like condit. He does not even attempt to throw fight ending kicks anymore or throw a punch that isn't a jab. He turns fights into a high level sparring match.

The Serra loss turned one of the best & most exciting fighters in the UFC into a safe boring dominant champion. It's a shame.

Biggie ups to Jordan Mein for finally getting his chance and leaving a mark! The sub defense was just incredible, If he tightens up his wrestling he will be a real factor down the road.
Here you go buddy.

SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:05 AM
AndyPipkin

Do people realize, that while most seem to think GSP v Condit was more exciting, GSP landed 50 more strikes in the Diaz fight and 30+ more significant strikes.

Diaz is the one that made this fight boring. Condit is one of he few fighters that didn't feed into GSP's game plan.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post

He subbed Hughes and TKO'd Serra both in 2nd. Something made him a safer fighter, but I'd argue it wasn't the Serra loss.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:47 PM
jw2

Quote:
He subbed Hughes and TKO'd Serra both in 2nd. Something made him a safer fighter, but I'd argue it wasn't the Serra loss.
He's fought 39 rounds since then.
Even Randy Couture had stoppages in 3 of his last 4 wins.

For being a top P4P, and one of the best ever, that's a sad, and telling stat.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:09 PM
m9

Quote:
It's obvious what it is - money. He has too much to lose so he is forced to fight safe.

Like I said a long time ago, if you want to make the sport more exciting scrap win bonuses from contracts and add finish bonuses. Give GSP 1 million to fight and another 2 to finish, or whatever numbers make sense so he has incentive. Maybe GSP doesn't finish anyway but maybe there are already 8 finishes on a card so nobody cares.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
The argument could be made that those two guys aren't on the same level as his more recent opponents. Pretty much everyone he has fought since then have been guys in their prime. Hughes had nearly 50 fights under his belt by the time they fought for the 3rd time and his best days were behind him. Matt Serra did get lucky and beat him the first time, but he's probably the least talented (and I believe oldest) guy GSP has fought in a title fight. Perhaps he was able to finish them simply because they weren't top level competition.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Do people realize, that while most seem to think GSP v Condit was more exciting, GSP landed 50 more strikes in the Diaz fight and 30+ more significant strikes.

Diaz is the one that made this fight boring. Condit is one of he few fighters that didn't feed into GSP's game plan.
I always laugh when I see "significant strikes". Doesn't Fight Metric count jabs as significant strikes?

Diaz certainly didn't bring any excitement to the fight but he wasn't the one who made it boring. The only chance he had was pulling off a sub from the bottom. Everyone knew GSP would easily take him down and control him. That's exactly what GSP did and he had some dominant positions but refused to do anything with it.

No one is saying GSP should have stood with Diaz and no one is criticizing him for doing what he does best and picking up another dominant win. I don't know why so many people get defensive when someone calls GSP safe or boring. That's what he is. He is always fighting safe and many times that makes his fights boring.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:40 PM
BGDDYKWL

People always like to say it's GSP's fault for making fights boring. What about the guy who didn't work his TDD enough to keep the fight standing? If Diaz wants to stand and bang so much then maybe he should work on his wrestling a little more.

I honestly don't think GSP can finish guys these days. I think if he really opened himself up he'd slightly increase his chances of finishing while greatly increasing his chances of getting caught. Not worth the risk. Just as Fanpuck said, the level of competition these days is just much better.

If the version of Hendricks we saw Saturday fights the GSP we saw, Hendricks has a very good chance of winning. Hendricks seemed very willing to close the distance to get inside and land that left of his. GSP doesn't have the power standing to make Hendricks worry in the least bit about doing that. Now he does have the wrestling to take Hendricks down, but I don't feel like his wrestling is where it was pre-injury. If he was struggling to take Diaz down as the fight went on, I don't see him having much success with Hendricks. I really think Hendricks takes this.

Last edited by BGDDYKWL: 03-19-2013 at 07:52 PM.
BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:04 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:23 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
is he even still with him? Jackson has not been in his corner for the past 2 fights

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
People always like to say it's GSP's fault for making fights boring. What about the guy who didn't work his TDD enough to keep the fight standing? If Diaz wants to stand and bang so much then maybe he should work on his wrestling a little more.
It is GSP's fault. Isn't that obvious? He's better than everyone else and can do whatever he wants in there. He'll take Diaz, Condit, and Alves down because he doesn't want to stand with them. He'll also keep the fight standing against Shields and Koscheck because he doesn't want to grapple with them. But he doesn't take the next step and try to finish his opponents. He doesn't want to take any chances and is okay with just picking up a decision win. He could have taken Diaz's back a number of times and tried a submission but decided to just hold onto him on the ground. Koscheck couldn't see out of one eye for 3 or 4 rounds but GSP stood on the outside and threw jabs for the entire fight.

He keeps picking up the wins and making a lot of money so he obviously has the right gameplan and should keep doing it. Doesn't mean it's entertaining though. The comparison to the mid-late 90's Devils is perfect.

Imagine if Jon Jones stood on the outside for 25 minutes and just kept throwing jabs because he has a ridiculous reach advantage. A lot of the people defending GSP here would be calling for Jones' head. Lets not even get started on the criticism Anderson would take. Those two are better than everyone else in their division and they go out and finish almost every single one of their fights. GSP can do it as well but he just chooses not to.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:41 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
is he even still with him? Jackson has not been in his corner for the past 2 fights
No he's done the majority of his training at TriStar for like 3 years, but some people need something to fit their delusional Greg Jackson agenda. Jackson is barely involved with GSP.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote