HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Vancouver Canucks and the "100th" Anniversary of the Millionaires

Old
03-04-2013, 06:27 PM
kaiser matias

vCash: 500
Vancouver Canucks and the "100th" Anniversary of the Millionaires

As some might have heard, the Canucks are wearing a modernized Vancouver Millionaires jersey in their game against Detroit on the 16th. The stated reason is to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Millionaires and hockey on the west coast.

However as anyone with a bit of knowledge about the history of the Millionaires or west coast hockey knows, the PCHA was formed in 1912, with the Millionaires playing their first game against New Westminster on January 5, 1912. Thus this is the 101st anniversary of the founding of the Millionaires and PCHA.

So does anyone have any idea why they are calling this the 100th anniversary, when it cleary is not? I could understand issues relating to licensing the jersey and logo, but the Canucks bought the rights to the Millionaires stuff a few years ago, so it wouldn't have been a problem last year. It just seems really unprofessional that they could mess up such a simple thing, especially something that is easily proven to be false.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser matias View Post
It just seems really unprofessional that they could mess up such a simple thing, especially something that is easily proven to be false.
Because the first game was played vs New West in January 1912 with nothing preceding that game in the Lower Mainland in 1911, the Canucks simply decided to call the 2012/13 season "The 100th Anniversary". Thats my best "guess". The Patricks old Victoria team was sold to Detroit, or at least the players were, forming the long defunct Cougars that then became the Red Wings. Bit of a stretch perhaps, tenuous, but none the less an interesting connection....

no idea what, but with the Lockout wiping out the first half of the season & running down the calendar, they may have had some plans that they were forced into scaling back on. I know they included that 'V' Millionaires logo as a patch on their 3rd jerseys for this year. Technically though you are correct, if literal, then sure, "first game" shouldve been "celebrated" a year ago I suppose, but, had the 12/13 season started on time, go for the gusto, season long 41 game promo's of one kind or another, maximizing merchandising sales through 12/13. Looks to me like they lost both momentum and some relevancy with respect to this promotional celebration as a result of the Lockout.

Last edited by Killion: 03-04-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:20 AM
SealsFan

I wish they would do it up right and do the throwback jerseys in WOOL instead of polyester.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote