HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: The Sid, Fleury, & Geno Show (Pens vs. Lightning)

Old
03-04-2013, 10:45 PM
MtlPenFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roready View Post
+ to Orpik for not staying down on the ice when he got hit on his ass, so Malkin could score the goal without the refs blowing the whistle for an injured player.
NBC never bothered showing a replay of the hit. Was it one of those shoulder in the head deals?

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Xavier Laflamme

Crosby's edge work is unlike anything I've ever seen. It really is unbelievable. I watched the Kunitz goal again where Sid was shielding Stamkos off and the entire side of his boot was practically laying on the ice. It reminded me of a super bike race where the bike takes a sharp turn and is parallel with the ground...it's truly amazing to watch.

Xavier Laflamme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

ALmost forgot:

++ NBC saves me from Steigy and Errey once more. By far the biggest silver lining of the lockout is the NHL has doubled up on Pens games via NBC and NHL network. Real announcers who know what they're doing. Heaven.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:47 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

-I thought Letang looked better, calmer. Not back to what we know, and not a perfect game, but good.
-TK seemed OK, hit a post, nothing spectacular, but I'd take that version over the one we've seen more of
-Orpik, man sometimes he looks so slow or lackadaisical. If I had a quarter every time he hit a guy AFTER the other team scored I'd have a few dollars
-Eaton doing better than I expected
-end of periods, play til the whistle guys.
-Geno's goal was pretty.
-Engelland vs St Louis was pretty funny
-DALE!

And hope Garon is OK. 3rd SE goalie to go down in 3 days.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:48 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by roready View Post
+ to Orpik for not staying down on the ice when he got hit on his ass, so Malkin could score the goal without the refs blowing the whistle for an injured player.
and Orpik still whined to the refs after he got up. either he had no clue the goal even happened or he was being very selfish.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:48 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngellandHitSomebody View Post
If Philly can manage to make the playoffs.
The Pens played 2 really bad games on the road, and 1 pretty bad one that they managed to win, and all anybody can talk about after a solid win is how we have no chance to win the cup. Where was all this *****ing during the winning streak earlier in the year?
It was here, as well it should have been. All tonight proved is that Sid + Geno + Flower > Tampa Bay.

BTW, there's nothing as entertaining as watching Geno when he's attacking. I've always said when he's 'on' that he's like a kid in a candy store on a sugar rush. You could see it from the first shift. Best game of the season for him, and it's not even close (and it's got nothing to do with that goal even).

Apparently, the short term memory loss has him thinking it was 2009 playoffs, game 3 against Washington, because watching that goal, all I could think of was what Razor Reough said when Malkin scored his one goal in that game: 'This was inevitable'.

EDIT: My favorite play of the night for him may have come after the score was 3-2, when it looked like TB had a 3 on 2 going and Malkin busted back up ice. Pens LD pinches up on the high forward. It's a 2 on 1 if Malkin didn't catch up to and drape LeCavalier.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Candyman

+ Fleury
+Malkin
+Crosby
+Kunitz
+ Sutter/Jeffrey
+Despres

=Cooke
=Dupuis
=Letang

-Engellend/Orpik Pairing they both didn't play well.
- Stamko's goal... Seriously he was not anywhere near Crosby's level, at least not tonight.
- Not scoring in the 2nd period despite their shaky goaltending
- Pyatt's nose.

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

+ Kunitz leads the league in the worthless stat at +17.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:51 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
The W is all that matters with him. Haters gonna hate. Oh well.
Because cups are won in March, after all. Haters gonna hate.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:52 PM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
NBC never bothered showing a replay of the hit. Was it one of those shoulder in the head deals?
I thought it was boarding. I don't think it was a blow to the head.

roready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:53 PM
SaturdayNightSlegr

The first stamkos goal pissed me off more than the 2nd. We had numbers coming back and no one covers a wide open stamkos in the crease. Anyone could have scored that goal.

SaturdayNightSlegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
and Orpik still whined to the refs after he got up. either he had no clue the goal even happened or he was being very selfish.
So he's selfish for being mad he got boarded and nothing happened? Did it work out for us? Yes, but if not then everyone would be whining there was no call.

I'm sorry, but you're the second person to mention that he was selfish here and it's quite annoying to me. People are just looking for any possible reason to criticize him. The guy got boarded for christ sake and the refs let it go. With all the tacky boarding calls this year, it should've been called.

Like I said, I know it wasn't and it turned out good, but I can see why Orpik was pissed.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
+ Sid and Geno were flying all night
+ Kunitz is having an amazing run
+ MAF kept the team in the game in the 2nd with some great stops. Again bad bounces and blown coverage skew his stats, which is what matters, right?
+ Des, if he's scratched for Eaton when Martin comes back I'm gonna freak out.

+/- PP, one of the 3 looked great, the other 2 not so much

- Orpik
- DB for terrible line choices
- 4th line was a liability tonight
- Letting Stammer score twice. Giving him a free goal with 8 sec really pisses me off. Sid will win the Ross, but has a chance at the Rocket, too.
My two favorites involved going to the fourth line after either the tying or lead taking goal (forget which) and one where Sid's line had gone, the fourth line had gone, there's an offensive zone draw in the left circle, and out comes Sutter.

Old
shureshot66
Global Moderator

+ Kunitz actually leads the entire league in plus/minus at the moment at plus-17.

EDIT: What UM said ^^^

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Tellmeister

"Pens players are 1st and 3rd in scoring after 23 games"
"Yeah, big chocker having the 2 best players in the world"
"Actually it's Kunitz"

Tellmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
So he's selfish for being mad he got boarded and nothing happened? Did it work out for us? Yes, but if not then everyone would be whining there was no call.

I'm sorry, but you're the second person to mention that he was selfish here and it's quite annoying to me. People are just looking for any possible reason to criticize him. The guy got boarded for christ sake and the refs let it go. With all the tacky boarding calls this year, it should've been called.

Like I said, I know it wasn't and it turned out good, but I can see why Orpik was pissed.
only he didn't get boarded. he tried checking a Lightning player and got knocked on his ass. that's what i remember seeing. maybe he got hit differently but he didn't get boarded by any stretch of the imagination. i suggest you find the clip of the play and re-watch it.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
My two favorites involved going to the fourth line after either the tying or lead taking goal (forget which) and one where Sid's line had gone, the fourth line had gone, there's an offensive zone draw in the left circle, and out comes Sutter.
After Garon goes out, there is a 3-4 minute REAL LIFE BREAK.

Bylsma comes out of the break with the 4th line (plus Dupuis) in the offensive zone.

And the Bolts score 20 seconds later.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 0
+Kunitz is leading the NHL in +/-.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
I thought Orpik had a better game. Even the goal that Stamkos was wide open, Orpik took his man and Engo (and dupuis?) both went to one guy leaving Stamkos open.

TK finally was at least noticeable. Had a couple decent shots, and created a few chances offesnively for the first time this season maybe.

I'm really liking seeing Eaton out there. I'm not saying he's amazing, but he's a solid presence we need back there in the playoffs.

Our 3/4 lines are pretty unnoticeable. Guess that's good as there weren't many glaring mistakes, but they really are just flat out unnoticed being out there.

Despres had a couple boneheaded plays, but then makes up for them with some nice plays. Just hope DB doesn't sit him for the few mistakes.
I'm not sure if that's good or bad. By the second period, I was just hoping Orpik would ice the puck every time he touched it, because doing that would've put the Pens at less of a disadvantage than most of his attempted first passes.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:56 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturdayNightSlegr View Post
The first stamkos goal pissed me off more than the 2nd. We had numbers coming back and no one covers a wide open stamkos in the crease. Anyone could have scored that goal.
I know we all want Crosby to win some awards, but lets not all focus so much attention on stamkos because of it. Downplaying his goals scored. He's a great goal scorer, who's in the right spot a lot of the time. Lacks other things in his game he should work on though.

Anyways, it's fun to have some competition for Crosby.

As I said though, most people outside of Tampa and Pittsburgh know Crosby is the better player. So no need to downplay Stamkos

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:56 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Letang had a bad first period (by his standards at any rate) but turned it up after that and was great in every zone.

Sucks that TB got a worthless goal late.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:57 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
After Garon goes out, there is a 3-4 minute REAL LIFE BREAK.

Bylsma comes out of the break with the 4th line (plus Dupuis) in the offensive zone.

And the Bolts score 20 seconds later.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????
Yes, THAT was the third one. I knew there was another. I don't know whether to love or hate Sid and Geno on nights like this. You love the show they put on. You hate that (a) they feed the myth that they can make due with a lot less even when the playoffs come and (b) they make Bylsma look good in spite of himself.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:00 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I disagreed with you earlier about their performance at that point in the night but I agree with how you phrase it here. There is a way to take advantage of our top end skill and play disciplined defense, but they have not been able to strike that balance.

I don't know what to think about Orpik. People used to get on his case when he was playing all right but not lighting people up, but the last 2-3 weeks I'm not sure what he's doing out there sometimes. He gets the puck in space down low and just hangs on to it until someone skates over to oppose him. It makes no sense. He's MIA in front of the net on some goals too.

I give a minus to Neal. Honest to god I forgot about him for about half the game.
Actually, I thought this one (along with last one) were Neal's two best, perhaps all year, not counting shooting. His shot was off-- way off-- a couple of times, but he worked tonight a lot better than most nights this year.

EDIT: That evaluation could be because Neal has set the bar pretty low on a lot of nights.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:03 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Boucher on the turnover which led to Malkin's goal: "We gave Malkin the puck at our blue line. Might as well put the gun to our heads."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/#ixzz2MdPjzEWp

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote