HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Half The Season Completed PGT (9-13-2)

Old
03-05-2013, 10:37 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Half The Season Completed PGT (9-13-2)

Great-

Lindy is gone?

Top 6 Pick! (Mack, Drouin, Jones, Lindholm, Barkov, Monahan)

Good-

Cody developing into a legit number one. (Little more work on Defensive side)

Vaneks success so far this season

Miller Solid all season long

Ennis really catching on these last few weeks.

Ott should be the captain of this team next season, so much heart

B-

Stafford and Foligno continue to struggle

Rushing Grigorenko when he clearly needed another year of development (Although recently he has been playing better)

U-

9-13-2 through half the season

Our "Defense"

Tyler Myers continued downward trend

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:43 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
G: Youth, Vanek, Poms
B: We're gonna miss out on Jones/Barkov/Mac/Drou

just think of next year, I guess

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Squantosawuss

When are they gonna get the pipsqueaks off this team?

While Ennis can score on occasion, he is too small to be depended on defensively.

While Gerbe has all that heart, I get the feeling if he doesn't have his dad in the stands, he's gonna have a tough time scoring.

These small-fry's positives DO NOT outweigh their negatives, IMHO.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:56 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

G-
Ruff gone
Rookies/young developing (peaks and valleys)
Nice year so far by Vanek

B-
Lockout
Sabres season is an abomination
Leino out so long
Kaleta suspension
Myers is having issues

Maybe I'm nuts, but if we pick in the top 12-13 of the draft, we'll still get a damn good prospect. All is not doom and gloom if the Sabres don't pick 1, 2, or 3

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Good -

- Miller continues to see more rubber than road kill on the 90, yet makes enough saves to keep them in it.
- Rolston has given a few of these guys some life.
- Vanek's early season scoring exploits.
- Ennis and Hodgson are progressing. Growing pains.
- Being a hot, stinking mess of a hockey team and yet being the only team to beat Boston in regulation? Twice? Oh hell yeah.

Bad -

- They waited too long to pull the plug on Ruff. With a truncated season, that initial losing streak was probably the point to make the move and attempt to instill some life into the lifeless.
- Team defense.
- Initial team toughness has given way to a lot of mild behavior.

Ugly -

- Pre-Rolston Hecht getting 15-20 minutes a night.
- That Regier couldn't get a much-needed 3rd line center in the fold last summer or at any point up to the 11th hour move to sign Hecht.
- Team defense. Bad decisions by the defensemen are often due to forwards sluggish commitment to back pressure and coming back to give an outlet. Remember when Pominville was a good defensive player and smart with the puck? Yeah, I do too.
- That there is still enough time and enough teams in the East who are a bigger mess than the Sabres due to injury that they aren't even assured a top-5 draft pick with the on-ice garbage we see.

03-05-2013, 11:31 PM
kirby11

G
Miller playing well despite having no defense in front of him most nights
VHP. Although the V and P components of that line have produced a bit less recently, that's also a good sign that cody isn't just riding shotgun a la adam last year.
Ehrhoff
I'm surprised that ennis hasn't sucked hard enough full time at center to warrant being moved back to wing. Thought last year was just a flash in the pan. Glad it's kinda working out there
Ott and Kaleta (aside from the stupid hit on richards)
I like hecht in his now reduced role

B
Team defense
Team toughness after the first 2-3 games
Gerbe
Myers
Leo
Grigs is still here. Good that he's picked up his play a bit lately though
Regehr has basically turned into a pylon

U
Stafford
If we had any forward depth, foligno would be in rochester
Leino's injury woes
Per usual, we're going to suck just enough to miss the playoffs, but not enough to get a really high draft pick. 9-12th place, here we come...

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Girgenburger

GOOD:
-Vanek for the most part has been a tank.
-Miller has been good. Solid numbers with a bad defensive team in front of him.
-Sekera, Ehrhoff, and Weber have looked good.
-Ott being everything we hoped he would be.
-Pominville. Not as a captain, but as our best two way forward.
-A change behind the bench for Buffalo. We'll have to see if Rolston's the man for the job. Pretty attractive candidates in P. Roy, Eakins...

BAD:
-Enroth. He's legitimately not getting that many starts because he's been horrible dating back to last year. Because of that we're having our usual problem of riding Miller for long stretches.
-Overall team defense. We're pretty much the worst team in the league at clearing our defensive zone. We don't make confident tape to tape passes and the forwards are able to keep it in. Regehr has been relatively disappointing, and Leopold has been terrible. Not thrilled by Sulzer either. Rolston should follow his recent trend of bringing up his boys from Rochester. Get McNabb up here.
-Inconsistent secondary scoring. Foligno has shown good physicality but isn't producing points. We knew he wouldn't score at the clip he was in his 14 games last year, but 1 goal in 23 games? Stafford hasn't performed well at all and his trade value is dwindling.
-Grigorenko really has learned everything he can from junior hockey. I think what it has come down to is that we haven't put him in any position to strive. He's shown flashes of individual talent in recent games, but if he's going to be on a line with Hecht we can't expect that much from him.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:33 AM
jfb392

Good

- Finally firing Lindy. It was overdue, but at least they finally took the step. Hopefully just the beginning of changes.
- Hodgson looks to be trending up after some tough luck post-draft. It should come as no surprise that this is happening after his first real healthy off-season in years.
- Ennis adjusting after his slow start. Don't think he ends up being more than a secondary scoring winger, but at least he's seems to be progressing in the right direction.
- Ott has been much of what I was hoping for. I liked him before Ruff was fired, but I think he's been more noticeable since.
- Vanek looked like an elite player to start off the season. It was entertaining, even though you knew it wasn't sustainable. He's great when he moves his feet.
- Ehrhoff has been awesome. He's a creation machine and makes everyone on the ice better.
- Miller has had some stellar performances. Too bad we're going nowhere while he's in his prime.

Bad

- There are still so many players on this roster I want gone, Stafford being the main one. **** off, I haven't liked you since probably 2007.
- The defense is just crap. There's only one or two guys you can realistically hope will not be terrible on any given night. Four #7D is too many for one roster.
- Team defense sucks. Too many guys looking to fly the zone early, too many guys chasing. They wilt at the slightest sign of a forecheck.
- Team speed. The days of being an exciting, fast team seem like eons ago.
- Three seasons in a row now that they've been in the basement for prolonged periods of time. Hopefully this time they realize it's not a fluke.
- Not necessarily team related, but the mostly unwatchable play on ice is made worse by terrible broadcasts. Sorry RJ, time to hang them up. Ray, you're a disgrace. Time to bring the production up the 21st century standards.

Ugly

- Fire Regier already. Change the guard completely.
- For a team that is counting on it's youth, you'd like to see more progress from prospects. Too much stagnation or regression this season. Foligno, outside of his hot start in Rochester, has been a passenger on too many nights. Armia still only plays when he wants to. He's been good as of late, but it's only after prodding from his coach after the team lost their best player. Tropp gone for possibly the whole season. Girgensons rushed, playing out of position, and had his brain scrambled not once but twice. Grigorenko rushed after showing negative signs in Québec, despite his statline. McNabb, while not as bad as some say, hasn't really taken any steps forward. Pysyk has had some growing pains and needs some more time. Adam is a lost cause. Lower-end depth options are doing little to stand out or are regressing (Varone being the best example).
- Myers. Even though his play recently could be considered an improvement over his putrid start, he still looks like trash. If he's not going to be the #1D we're hoping he'll be (and already compensating as such), we're not going anywhere anytime soon. The fact that it's a consistent problem and he hardly shows signs of being that player is brutal.
- A side effect of the poor play of Myers is that the defense is pretty much nondescript and barring a massive trade, it's probably not changing much. They only have three contracted guys going forward, but the guys in FA are mostly crap and th pieces in the pipe probably aren't changing much. Shuffling deck chairs and such. I have a feeling we'll need a blue chipper soon.
- This team isn't even really unlucky, statistically speaking (outside of poor power play shooting). Their PDO is fairly average and Fenwick Close is almost dead last. Yep, they suck.

Depressing

- The talent this team does have looks like it will keep them out of the basement unfortunately, barring injury. I imagine this is what being a Bills fan is like. Dig a hole when you already have virtually no shot at winning anything, partially dig yourself out, end up in an endless cycle of mediocrity.
- They'll probably end up finishing outside of the range that top tier talent is available and take a gamble on a turd of a prospect.

All in all, this looks to be shaping up as mostly a lost season.
They need to make good at the draft and formulate a realistic plan going forward; enough indecision and mediocrity.
Please, change the culture so that this team is at least enjoyable even if they aren't winning.

Last edited by jfb392: 03-06-2013 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Forgot some positives.
jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:57 AM
Takeo

G - Finally in position to tank and actually begin to improve with a blue chip prospect. Could be a fun trade deadline!
B - Regier not only still employed, but actually rewarded with an extension! Congratz!!1!
U - Development of young players like Foligno and Myers. Ain't happening. And Grigorenko being rushed (and almost this entire messageboard in favor of it).

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:06 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

G:
-Hodgson, Vanek, Pominville
-Ruff gone (like him, but it was time)
-Miller (not perfect but would be a lot worse with most other goalies.
-Ott (really has helped us)
-Grig (like the kid, his improving slowly)

B:
-The defense. All of them, maybe aside from Erhoff
-Our record in second periods
-Enroth, or lack thereof.

U:
-The defense go in here again. Utterly pathetic.
-Lack of fight from this team.
-The fact we are in a position where we have no idea who will be in the front office next season, yet we've promoted Rolston only to seemingly burn out the season. What is the plan? Whats going on? Direction people!

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:27 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Good

- Finally firing Lindy. It was overdue, but at least they finally took the step. Hopefully just the beginning of changes.
- Hodgson looks to be trending up after some tough luck post-draft. It should come as no surprise that this is happening after his first real healthy off-season in years.
- Ennis adjusting after his slow start. Don't think he ends up being more than a secondary scoring winger, but at least he's seems to be progressing in the right direction.
- Ott has been much of what I was hoping for. I liked him before Ruff was fired, but I think he's been more noticeable since.
- Vanek looked like an elite player to start off the season. It was entertaining, even though you knew it wasn't sustainable. He's great when he moves his feet.
- Ehrhoff has been awesome. He's a creation machine and makes everyone on the ice better.
- Miller has had some stellar performances. Too bad we're going nowhere while he's in his prime.

Bad

- There are still so many players on this roster I want gone, Stafford being the main one. **** off, I haven't liked you since probably 2007.
- The defense is just crap. There's only one or two guys you can realistically hope will not be terrible on any given night. Four #7D is too many for one roster.
- Team defense sucks. Too many guys looking to fly the zone early, too many guys chasing. They wilt at the slightest sign of a forecheck.
- Team speed. The days of being an exciting, fast team seem like eons ago.
- Three seasons in a row now that they've been in the basement for prolonged periods of time. Hopefully this time they realize it's not a fluke.
- Not necessarily team related, but the mostly unwatchable play on ice is made worse by terrible broadcasts. Sorry RJ, time to hang them up. Ray, you're a disgrace. Time to bring the production up the 21st century standards.

Ugly

- Fire Regier already. Change the guard completely.
- For a team that is counting on it's youth, you'd like to see more progress from prospects. Too much stagnation or regression this season. Foligno, outside of his hot start in Rochester, has been a passenger on too many nights. Armia still only plays when he wants to. He's been good as of late, but it's only after prodding from his coach after the team lost their best player. Tropp gone for possibly the whole season. Girgensons rushed, playing out of position, and had his brain scrambled not once but twice. Grigorenko rushed after showing negative signs in Québec, despite his statline. McNabb, while not as bad as some say, hasn't really taken any steps forward. Pysyk has had some growing pains and needs some more time. Adam is a lost cause. Lower-end depth options are doing little to stand out or are regressing (Varone being the best example).
- Myers. Even though his play recently could be considered an improvement over his putrid start, he still looks like trash. If he's not going to be the #1D we're hoping he'll be (and already compensating as such), we're not going anywhere anytime soon. The fact that it's a consistent problem and he hardly shows signs of being that player is brutal.
- A side effect of the poor play of Myers is that the defense is pretty much nondescript and barring a massive trade, it's probably not changing much. They only have three contracted guys going forward, but the guys in FA are mostly crap and th pieces in the pipe probably aren't changing much. Shuffling deck chairs and such. I have a feeling we'll need a blue chipper soon.
- This team isn't even really unlucky, statistically speaking (outside of poor power play shooting). Their PDO is fairly average and Fenwick Close is almost dead last. Yep, they suck.

Depressing

- The talent this team does have looks like it will keep them out of the basement unfortunately, barring injury. I imagine this is what being a Bills fan is like. Dig a hole when you already have virtually no shot at winning anything, partially dig yourself out, end up in an endless cycle of mediocrity.
- They'll probably end up finishing outside of the range that top tier talent is available and take a gamble on a turd of a prospect.

All in all, this looks to be shaping up as mostly a lost season.
They need to make good at the draft and formulate a realistic plan going forward; enough indecision and mediocrity.
Please, change the culture so that this team is at least enjoyable even if they aren't winning.
Beautiful write up!

My friend...You have no idea what it is to be a Bills fan. It is seriously the most depressing thing in the world to watch Fitzpatrick not be able to throw it 10 yards in the air and miss the playoffs 14 years in a row and rarely get a top 5 pick to grab a franchise QB. You eventually become completely numb to losing and most fans on the forums I browse after every loss are so optimistic no matter what happens, its truly something else. But to go along with your point I believe this team is one injury away from a top 3 pick. Even if that doesn't happen I still hope we are able to pick in the top 6. (We've already dug our self a big enough hole it seems)

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote