HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Penguins interested in Jack Johnson | CBJ brass takes in PIT/TB game 3/4

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 11:17 AM
NastyNick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Stats don't tell the whole story. A top-six winger has been the biggest need of ours since the start of the season. Cooke, Boychuk, Kennedy, even Tanner ****ing Glass has been given a chance on the top 6.
Kunitz #3 in scoring, Neal #2 in goals.. If the Penguins need wingers.. then so does the rest of the league

They need a solid stay at home defensemen that can protect the front of the net.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Crosberry87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
I bieleve that the Jackets would want a pretty hefty return as they traded Carter for Johnson and a first. I bieleve if the Pens have a chance to get him out of Columbus theyre will need to be a first round pick involved and atleast 1 grade B+/A- Prospect so here is my proposal:

TO
Jack Johnson
Derek Dorsett
2nd Rd. Pick 2014

TO
1st Rd. Pick(Late 25-30)
Simon Despres
Beau Bennett

Pens get there D-Man along with a tough 3rd/4th Liner in Dorsett who can Fight, Hit and can put up some points, and a second in 2014. The Jackets get younger with the additions of Beau and Simon who have shown some good signs so far in there young careers and they add a fourth first round pick in this years draft. IS THE VALUE ATLEAST CLOSE OR NO?....
Pens get bent over hard on that one. Despres for JJ alone is a bad deal.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:38 AM
candyman82

Quote:
I bieleve that the Jackets would want a pretty hefty return as they traded Carter for Johnson and a first. I bieleve if the Pens have a chance to get him out of Columbus theyre will need to be a first round pick involved and atleast 1 grade B+/A- Prospect so here is my proposal:

TO
Jack Johnson
Derek Dorsett
2nd Rd. Pick 2014

TO
1st Rd. Pick(Late 25-30)
Simon Despres
Beau Bennett

Pens get there D-Man along with a tough 3rd/4th Liner in Dorsett who can Fight, Hit and can put up some points, and a second in 2014. The Jackets get younger with the additions of Beau and Simon who have shown some good signs so far in there young careers and they add a fourth first round pick in this years draft. IS THE VALUE ATLEAST CLOSE OR NO?....
I would rather hold on to to Johnson and Dorsett.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Chacal667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
acquiring a top six winger for the pens isn't about goals. it's about puck possession.
A good pmd should increase the puck possession.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:48 AM
BerSTUzzi

Soooooo Pitts is going for "we'll outscore you this year" because they ain't going to stop anything with Johnson on their team.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Doctor Talbotnik

As a Penguins and CBJ fan, I don't see how this makes sense for either side. Jackets should only trade JMFJ if we're assured to get Seth Jones in the draft.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Soooooo Pitts is going for "we'll outscore you this year" because they ain't going to stop anything with Johnson on their team.
Pens have been using the just outscore everybody approach for a while now and it hasn't worked. Johnson is step in the wrong direction to cure the Pens issues but he is a good player so if the price is right maybe you still have to do the deal. Hard to imagine this deal happening though.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Dying Alive
I love u Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Considering that the reporter who started this whole thing makes Eklund look like Nostradamus I'd say it's a non-issue.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Considering that the reporter who started this whole thing makes Eklund look like Nostradamus I'd say it's a non-issue.
True.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:12 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
A good pmd should increase the puck possession.
Letang - PMD
Martin - PMD
Niskanen - PMD

The Pens don't need PMD. The Pens don't need anything on the back end, other than the people who are already there to stop being spazzes. Seriously, they have talent. 5 guys didn't fall off a cliff at once. They just have to get their heads out of their *****, which are apparently firmly planted in the offensive zone.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:17 PM
metalan2

Maybe Johnson for Pouliot and a second or something. Only thing the Pens would even consider.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:22 PM
nbwingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosberry87 View Post
Pens get bent over hard on that one. Despres for JJ alone is a bad deal.
No it is not.
JJ is a top pairing D (not a #1 though). I watched Despres play back when he was in Saint John, and best case scenario is that Despres becomes a top paring D, exactly what JJ already is.

I understand you're excited at Despres potential, but the reality is that very few D end up being better than what JJ is now, and there is a very small chance that Despres ends up better.

So technically you are right that Despres for JJ is a bad deal. Except it's a bad one for Columbus.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:

TO
Jack Johnson
Derek Dorsett
2nd Rd. Pick 2014

TO
1st Rd. Pick(Late 25-30)
Simon Despres
Beau Bennett

This is a lousy deal for Pittsburgh. I wouldn't trade Despres for Johnson straight up. We don't need another PMD. You call Johnson a D-man. Well, he isn't a good on D.

I wish people would think before putting something like this together - actually take a look at the other team's needs and go from there. Johnson isn't a need - not even close.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:37 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Problem is Columbus absolutely doesnt need more defensive prospects. They are already looking to make space for Moore/Erixon/Murray/Savard/Goloubef.
Then you keep the guys you want and trade the guys you don't for players/prospects you need. I am not saying I think Columbus should do a trade for D prospects. Just pointing out that they could.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Xoggz22

Just not seeing JMFJ going to Pittsburgh. Doesn't make sense on too many levels. He's signed to a good contract and offers a ton of value to Columbus. He also appears to really like it in Columbus and the guy is a class act. I don't want to see him moved and certainly don't see how this situation would be a good one for either team.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:42 PM
DoctrSteveBrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbwingsfan View Post
No it is not.
JJ is a top pairing D (not a #1 though). I watched Despres play back when he was in Saint John, and best case scenario is that Despres becomes a top paring D, exactly what JJ already is.

I understand you're excited at Despres potential, but the reality is that very few D end up being better than what JJ is now, and there is a very small chance that Despres ends up better.

So technically you are right that Despres for JJ is a bad deal. Except it's a bad one for Columbus.
Oh you watched him in St. Johns? I watched Johnson in Columbus. Does that make me an expert?

Old
03-05-2013, 12:47 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Despres and Morrow/Pouliot would be a nice return for JJ.
You overrate Johnson badly. Sure, he can move the puck and that is about it. Defensively, he is terrible. Despres is better than him defensively right now.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:48 PM
PensBeerGeek

Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Quote:
No it is not.

In the absence of a cap, you are correct. But the salary cap exists.

Jack Johnson is in the 2nd year of a 7 year deal where he has a $4.35M cap hit while Despres is in year 2 of his ELC with an $840K cap hit.

He won't be making that in his next deal, but I seriously doubt he's due a bump to above $4 million either.

JMFJ is the better player, but I don't think he's necessarily $3 million better for the Pens.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:48 PM
nbwingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
Oh you watched him in St. Johns? I watched Johnson in Columbus. Does that make me an expert?
Watched him almost about 60 times? Played in the same league as him, just not against him? Ya I'd say I've got a pretty good idea on the player he is.

Truth is you HOPE that Despres becomes a top pairing D, something JJ already is. Maybe JJ doesnt fit the Pens current D, but no way in hell is that even close to a fair trade for Columbus.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:49 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
No they don't. Pens can afford giving up prospects for Johnson. Maybe Despres, Pouliot and a 2nd?
So, Pittsburgh gets bent over badly on that one.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:51 PM
nbwingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBeerGeek View Post
In the absence of a cap, you are correct. But the salary cap exists.

Jack Johnson is in the 2nd year of a 7 year deal where he has a $4.35M cap hit while Despres is in year 2 of his ELC with an $840K cap hit.

He won't be making that in his next deal, but I seriously doubt he's due a bump to above $4 million either.

JMFJ is the better player, but I don't think he's necessarily $3 million better for the Pens.
Which is understandable.

I dont believe JJ is a great fit for the Pens as they already have too many PMD, but a JJ for Despres trade is in no way anywhere close to a "bad deal" for the Pens. JJ is a much better player right now, and is likely to continue to be the better player throughout his career.

Columbus would turn down that offer much faster than the Pens would.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:53 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLLL Penguin View Post
Just playing around with lines while at work so don't kill me.

Pens gain:
JMFJ
Prospal

CBJ gains:
Kennedy
Despres
Bennett

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Prospal-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Suter-Jeffrey
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Letang-JMFJ
Orpik-Martin
Niskanen-Engelland
xEaton, Bortuzzo

Looks pretty good on paper but we lose wing depth once Prospal is gone.
If you are a true Penguin fan and know what's on the roster and in the system and have watched Jack Johnson play the last three years, you wouldn't entertain the notion of trading for him - especially giving up Despres, who is a PMD that is already better than Johnson defensively and Pittsburgh's top forward prospect.

I would be fine with acquiring prospal. Johnson served no purpose and makes our defense EVEN WORSE. Why trade a better defenseman in Despres, who has a high ceiling and has shown it on the ice, for another PMD that sucks defensively.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
This is a lousy deal for Pittsburgh. I wouldn't trade Despres for Johnson straight up. We don't need another PMD. You call Johnson a D-man. Well, he isn't a good on D.

I wish people would think before putting something like this together - actually take a look at the other team's needs and go from there. Johnson isn't a need - not even close.
I really wish people would look at the title of the thread before posting, it's about Johnson to the pens, I did it FOR FUN which obviously you have no clue about people like you take stuff way to serious, relax and get a life.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:54 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Which is understandable.

I dont believe JJ is a great fit for the Pens as they already have too many PMD, but a JJ for Despres trade is in no way anywhere close to a "bad deal" for the Pens. JJ is a much better player right now, and is likely to continue to be the better player throughout his career.

Columbus would turn down that offer much faster than the Pens would.
JJ is terrible defensively. Despres has JJ type ceiling offensively. Sending Despres for JJ would be foolish for Pittsburgh to do. Shero would turn down Despres for Johnson quickly if he is the smart GM I think he is.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:58 PM
nbwingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
JJ is terrible defensively. Despres has JJ type ceiling offensively. Sending Despres for JJ would be foolish for Pittsburgh to do. Shero would turn down Despres for Johnson quickly if he is the smart GM I think he is.
You honestly think Despres is a better D than JJ?

So you already think hes a top pairing D?

Closed Thread