HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Question about local TV and the playoffs

Old
04-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Roomtemperature

vCash: 923
Question about local TV and the playoffs

Do teams get any extra TV money from the playoffs or is it all extra profit by the TV networks?

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomtemperature View Post
Do teams get any extra TV money from the playoffs or is it all extra profit by the TV networks?

The majority of broadcast contracts give teams a set amount of money per annum. The broadcaster takes on the risk of profit/loss based on what their production costs are and what they can garner from subscriber fees (where applicable) and advertising.

The NHL's old NBC contract (signed in 2005) was a profit sharing arrangement. I don't believe the current 10 yr deal has any profit sharing element, but I could be wrong. With all national TV contracts, the money goes towards funding revenue transfer and then is divided up among all 30 teams.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:43 PM
epo

I thought that the national contracts got all of playoffs, but that seems to only be the case in Canada. How is it fair?

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by epo View Post
I thought that the national contracts got all of playoffs, but that seems to only be the case in Canada. How is it fair?

In the USA home teams still have rights to air games i think the exception is if NBC carries the game.

After the first round NBC and its family have exclusive TV rights. Local markets retain radio rights.

In Canada CBC and TSN will split series. CBC has exclusive rights over local outlets. I believe TSN does as well. I am not sure if RDS has a separate contract.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomtemperature View Post
i think it depends on the contract. It is usually a set fee for so many games. This number can vary because of NBC exclusivity rights on some games.

NHL team and local TV network makes an agreement. One year they air 78 another year it may be 70. What they my set up is a set amount for 70 games, then a per game addition for each game. The playoffs area separate clause in the contract likely based on a per game fee.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:50 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
In the USA home teams still have rights to air games i think the exception is if NBC carries the game.

After the first round NBC and its family have exclusive TV rights. Local markets retain radio rights.

In Canada CBC and TSN will split series. CBC has exclusive rights over local outlets. I believe TSN does as well. I am not sure if RDS has a separate contract.
RDS contract is seperate and for French rights. I believe they have the rights to all Canadiens games, including any playoff games, in addition to at least 40 playoff outside the Canadiesn coverage.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:30 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Just to clarify.... Unless designated an exclusive game (e.g., NBC, and/or NBCSN), local teams can (and do) broadcast the first round playoff games.

NBC (et al, which this year will be include NBCSN, CNBC and NHL Network) will air ALL playoff games (may be pick up of local feed in first round).

2nd through 4th round games are national. (NBC family sometimes picks up CBC or TSN coverage so they don't have to produce it themselves.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:56 AM
Shootmaster_44

Kings fans were upset that Bob Miller and Jim Fox were not allowed to broadcast the Cup Finals last year. So the Kings sent them to all potential Kings' clinching games and taped the broadcasts. They released Game 6 on DVD with a commemorative book.

I believe 1995 is when the Cup Finals went to a national broadcast in the US. Bob and Jim did the 1993 Finals and MSG the 1994 Finals.

I understand this is part of the contract for the US (and Canada), but it is too bad that the local teams can't do the games. Since advertising dollars is the real reason NBC/CBC/TSN want these exclusivity rights, the NHL should allow the home team's broadcast to be available on the second audio program (SAP) feature. I'm not sure you can have 2 SAP feeds, so you'd have to make do with the home team, but this would appease the fans and appease NBC/CBC/TSN.

The only issue is who pays the broadcast crews. My assumption is most US teams employ their own, but I'd hazard a guess that most Canadian crews are employees of the networks they are on and not the teams. Thus, I can't see TSN paying their Jets crew to be the SAP on a CBC broadcast.

The only times the lack of a local crew bothers me is when the crew calling the game is in favour of the other team. Due to Jim Hughson's past with the Canucks, try as he might, he calls CBC games involving the Canucks differently and more biased towards them. I also find Canadian crews always favour the Canadian team. Being a Kings fan this annoys me greatly as I am watching my Kings play and expect a neutral game. I'm sorry if you want to see the Canadian team win for a business aspect, but call the game down the middle. If you get stupidly excited when one team scores, you better get stupidly excited when my Kings score too.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote