HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Stauffer quoted "Ralph Krueger to be coach of the year in the next 2 years"

Old
03-04-2013, 12:34 AM
bigguy13

vCash: 500
Bob Stauffer quoted "Ralph Krueger to be coach of the year in the next 2 years"

Listening to Stauffer on CHED the other day and he said that in the next 2 years that Kreuger would be coach of the year....From what I see from this team not a chance!!! So many holes, not enough grit, weak defense and no heart. Not even Scotty Bowman could work with this smurfesk team.

I am sorry but cannot drink the Stauffer kool aid and believe his words. Maybe Stauffer can get Tambo on the air and ask his thoughts of how this team is working for the coach. Someone needs to ask these tough questions and not sure Stauffer would..

Thoughts

bigguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:36 AM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy13 View Post
Listening to Stauffer on CHED the other day and he said that in the next 2 years that Kreuger would be coach of the year....From what I see from this team not a chance!!! So many holes, not enough grit, weak defense and no heart. Not even Scotty Bowman could work with this smurfesk team.

I am sorry but cannot drink the Stauffer kool aid and believe his words. Maybe Stauffer can get Tambo on the air and ask his thoughts of how this team is working for the coach. Someone needs to ask these tough questions and not sure Stauffer would..

Thoughts
sounds to me like a GM problem no?

If anything, you are supporting the point you are trying to attack.

If not even Bowman could work with this squad, then Tambo needs to get another squad.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:44 AM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

vCash: 50
Maybe he'll win coach of the year in the AHL after being demoted to the Barons.

Naturally, Buchberger would be his replacement.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:49 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Im still waiting for the Kremlin to sponsor a deal for Yakupov in the KHL.

One crazy Stauffer story at a time.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Paralyzer008

Coach of the year? No chance.

The team needs some player personnel changes first.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:53 AM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Maybe he'll win coach of the year in the AHL after being demoted to the Barons.

Naturally, Buchberger would be his replacement.
Who will hire MacT as one of his assistants, which will then lead to Buchberger being fired and we'll come full circle.

We're trapped people.

WE'RE TRAPPED.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:12 AM
Tirefire
-

Of a Swiss League team?

Tirefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:31 AM
CorpseFX

i think Stauffer is predicting this based on the fact that "STACKED ROSTERS" give guys the award... and coming out of the depths of garbage with a stacked deck = you win some stupid award that literally means nothing.

if Bob brought some argument outside of his prediction on why this guy is a hockey genius, id listen... but id assume hes just running with the above argument.

ive predicted in GDT's that he'd be fired in 2 years or less.

CorpseFX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:34 AM
Soundwave

Obviously Tambellini is going to be next to go if he can't improve this in a hurry, but I am a little concerned about Krueger.

I know we're a small team, no one debates that, but to not get a *single shot on the net* for an entire period with a lineup of Nugent Hopkins, Eberle, a rejuvenated Hemsky, Gagner, Yakupov, Schultz, etc ....

Maybe Ralph needs to lay off emphasizing the defence so much. Yes, we're not great defensively, but he needs to start taking the reigns of the offence and implementing some kind of system.

If we lose 7-4, then so be it.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:39 AM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Obviously Tambellini is going to be next to go if he can't improve this in a hurry, but I am a little concerned about Krueger.

I know we're a small team, no one debates that, but to not get a *single shot on the net* for an entire period with a lineup of Nugent Hopkins, Eberle, a rejuvenated Hemsky, Gagner, Yakupov, Schultz, etc ....

Maybe Ralph needs to lay off emphasizing the defence so much. Yes, we're not great defensively, but he needs to start taking the reigns of the offence and implementing some kind of system.

If we lose 7-4, then so be it.
I don't feel that it's Ralph causing the shot problems. That is all on the players. He has emphasized that he wants more shots. We did set a team record for most shots in a game this year, remember? Ralph certainly hasn't come as advertised. I recall hearing about him being an offensive coach. All blame can't be put on Krueger though, let's be honest.

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:45 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I don't feel that it's Ralph causing the shot problems. That is all on the players. He has emphasized that he wants more shots. We did set a team record for most shots in a game this year, remember? Ralph certainly hasn't come as advertised. I recall hearing about him being an offensive coach. All blame can't be put on Krueger though, let's be honest.
I'm not putting it all on Krueger, but he has to share some blame here too. ZERO shots for over an entire period with that much talent at your disposal, I don't care if they're all 5 foot 5 ... it's a little ridiculous.

They had like a 2 game stretch where they were shooting a lot and that's it. Krueger has even said he didn't emphasize offence much because they felt they had to emphasize defence first, and that's not an entirely wrong approach to take, but I have to wonder if he went overboard with that.

You have to coach/teach offensive structure too no matter how much talent the kids have.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:53 AM
#ualberta

I don't think so but not just because the team is bad rather because the coach himself is bad.
Imo we'd be higher in the standings if we had a better coach.

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:22 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
I don't think so but not just because the team is bad rather because the coach himself is bad.
Imo we'd be higher in the standings if we had a better coach.
That's where we disagree. Its difficult to tell how good the coach is when the team is bad.

think about it. Your first line is a 19 yo centre in his second year. And they're going against the best opposition lines, i.e. Sedins, Thornton, Toews, Kane - all in the prime of their years. Kids versus men.

Our top 4 defense is still one of the worst in the west. At the beginning of last year, Petry wasn't a lock to be in the top four, now one year later, he's expected to be the top pairing against the best in the NHL? Come on. How naive are Oiler fans really?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:51 AM
enthropi

So BOTH the perpetual pessimists AND the unconditional optimists are in full panic mode?! Everything is happening!!

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:16 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
So BOTH the perpetual pessimists AND the unconditional optimists are in full panic mode?! Everything is happening!!
I like to think I'm on the optimist side and I'm not panicking I just don't think Krueger will be the coach that takes us to the next level

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:47 AM
puckfan13

An option could be like the setup Slats has going in NY right now where his assistant GM Jim Schoenfeld is also on the bench with Tortorella, maybe doing that with MacT is an option at some point. Just a thought. Smith's relatively inexperienced and Krueger only has a few years of NHL experience, could help a bit.

puckfan13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:12 AM
The Perfect Human*

Ralph is an above-average coach - I'm amazed he's kept us some-what afloat so far given a below-average roster and a PISS POOR GM who refuses to change it.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:17 AM
plikestechno

They play with no semblance of a system. That's the coach. If there is a system and the players arent buying in then thats also on the coach.

Almost every player thats been brought in via free agency or trade has been terrible. We seem to trade the wrong guys away on top of it. Thats the GM.

Time to clean house. Id almost wipe out the scouting staff too as theyre partially to blame for our woes. So many picks overhyped and undelivering. Anybody can grab the best guys at 1. Our other round picks seem to not be doing well and our pro scouting seems to suck as well.

Time to clean house and get the stank of this team before the kids get too infected.

Part of me always wonders if the organization is maybe too nice to the players so theyll stay or recruit others. It seems that everyone that comes here gets complacent quickly. Or at least inconsistent. Or is it the opposite and theyre too afraid to make mistakes so they make mistakes.

plikestechno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
They play with no semblance of a system. That's the coach. If there is a system and the players arent buying in then thats also on the coach.

Almost every player thats been brought in via free agency or trade has been terrible. We seem to trade the wrong guys away on top of it. Thats the GM.
Yeah - but the seeming lack of system and inability to clear our zone has been consistent through 4 coaches now. And almost no offensive player we bring in EVER does better here than they had elsewhere. Something in the water?

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:11 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
You can't make chicken salad out of... well, you know.

A coach can only do so much with the players he's given. Steve Tambellini had opportunities to make the team better in the offseason by signing some vets, adding some size, and probably making some deals. Instead, he decided that drafting Yakupov and signing Schultz, adding a 18/19 year old and a 21/22 year old was enough to make this team better.

Krueger isn't the problem. The man at the top, is.

Wheathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:30 AM
no doubt about it

If he does. He should book a tour in Vegas because he would also be magician of the year as well. "Open Sesame a la kazam - Tambo ain't the man"

no doubt about it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:34 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Krueger isn't the problem. The man at the top, is.
Not to absolve Little Stevie T. of responsibility because he's CLEARLY inept as a GM, but saying that Krueger isn't the problem isn't exactly correct either. He's shown zero ability or interest in line-matching and his bench and clock management is atrocious. Putting your 4th line out for a d-zone draw against the opposition's top line after a TV time out? Calling your OWN time out when an exhausted opposition line has just gotten whistled for icing? Putting Petrell on the ice when needing a goal late in the game?

Yeesh.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Lord J T Shark
McDavid Headquarters

yet another "fire" Krueger thread

Lord J T Shark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:23 AM
Perfect_Drug

Kruegar hasn't impressed me thus far, but I find it hard to gauge a coach who hasn't had a proper training camp, and maybe like 6 practices since the season started.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Beerfish

The coaches job is to get the best out of his players.

Many of our players are playing terribly, much worse than last year.

Yes, Ralph is doing a crappy job.

I believe he has taken it on himself to 'teach the kids to play defense'. They even stressed they wanted at least one forward down really low in the defensive zone all the time. We get the puck and it's 2 on 3 or 4 every time.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote