HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the future as great as we make it out to be?

Old
03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Sting

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Sting
Is the future as great as we make it out to be?

I'm not here to start a "sky is falling" thread after our recent string of games. I'm also taking into account our injuries and that our young guys have sort of been rushed into the big leagues.

Nonetheless, the question I keep asking myself is - are we really going to be that much better in 3-4 years? I'm looking at our young forward core and I don't see anything to be excited about other than Zibanejad growing into his frame. From what I've seen of all our guys in the big leagues and the minors, he's probably the only one capable of being a true impact player. Silfverberg, while he has a great shot and good awareness, lacks the physical tools to become the star forward we need. I see him topping out as a 2nd line winger. With Alfredsson's retirement in the near future, and the book being out on Michalek's future in Ottawa, where does that leave us? Noesen projects to be a top 6 guy, Puempel is a long shot, and that leaves us with Prince and Grant being the only other potential top 9 forwards.

I do think we're pretty set on defense. Karlsson, Cowen and Methot are a great core and Ceci should slot into the top 4 over the next few years.

The goaltending situation is tricky because while I'm a huge Lehner fan, it's difficult to say if he's the best long term choice when you have Anderson and Bishop.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy to think that we are in dire need of at least two impact forwards?

Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

I think the plan is to land at least one impact UFA at forward. Lots of cap space and I believe we will be a cap team when the timing is right.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:52 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Our future is bright. Not sure why anyone would thing otherwise, but yes we need to trade for a couple of top-6 forwards. That much I agree with.

The goaltending situation is pretty much set in stone. Andy holds the fort for the rest of his contract while Lehner slowly becomes our Rask. Bishop's getting traded at the deadline or this summer.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Paul Maclean.

/Thread

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:58 PM
HavlatMach9

Ideally we should have been a contender this year by adding a few missing pieces at the trade deadline. Going forward, up front we're not too bad off.

We need a strong top 6 player, and another decent top 6 player, while filling the rest out with our prospects.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Murray has the cap space to make this team a competitor right now. We're just not using it.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Yes.

While we should still look to add an impact forward, whether through trade or free agency, we have everything that is required of a Stanley Cup champion in my opinion.

We have a true #1 forward, Jason Spezza.
We have a true #1 defenceman, Erik Karlsson.
We have a true #1 goaltender, both Craig Anderson and Robin Lehner (in my opinion).

We have a team that is built internally through the draft, which seems to be consistent with Stanley Cup Champions in the past. We have a solid core of depth players, mainly Colin Greening, Chris Neil, Jim O Brien, Erik Condra. These players are all very effective as secondary scoring options.

Our defence is very bright in my opinion, with a core of Karlsson, Cowen, Ceci, Methot, Wiercioch, and Phillips that I believe in.

I think the one thing this team needs to add is a top forward that can be effective long term (so no UFA's in the next 1/2 years).

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:06 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

It all depends on whether our prospects live up to the expectations the fans have for them. Da Costa for example I don't see living up to expectations with Ottawa anyway but I could be wrong. Stone I have high hopes for but he could be a bust, who knows? We'll take it one yr at a time, I expect this yr for a couple of guys to be traded at the deadline. I expect one or two guys signed from the NCAA at the end of their season. I expect a deal or two at the draft & I expect a UFA signing or two July 1. I think we will see anywhere from 5 to 7 new players in Ottawa to start the year next season who are different from some of the guys who started this season.

An All Prospect Team:
Silfverberg - Spezza - Noesen
Puempel - Turris - Stone
Greening - Zibanejad - JOB
Smith - Grant - Dzuirzynski/Kramer

Cowen - Kalrsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Boroweicki - Gryba/Sdao

Lehner - Dreidger/Brassard

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Dionysus

Negativity around here is unreal. The team is without its top 2 defenceman, number 1 centre and top six winger. The goaltending and coaching has been phenomenal, no worries there.

There is plenty of young talent coming up the pipeline. Judging Silfverberg and Zibenajad to harshly after 20 games of playing on a decimated team seems very early.

Even with all the injuries the sens are still in every game until the end.

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Out of our abundance of forward prospects (including Zibanejad and Silfverberg), we need 1 LW to become a legit 2nd liner, and 2 RW to become legit Top 6ers (ideally, one being a first liner).

We have Spezza and Michalek who are both legitimate 1st liners. Kyle Turris is a legitimate 2nd liner. Lets pretend we don't have Alfie (or at least we don't count him as a legit 2nd liner). That means we need 3 more (hopefully one of those includes a legitimate 1st liner) Top 6ers, and we have a potential list of:

-Silfverberg
-Zibanejad
-Stone
-Hoffman
-Prince
-Pageau
-Da Costa
-Noesen
-Puempel
-Petersson

To me, there is a very good chance that at least 3 players on that list become top 6 players (with Zibanejad and Silfverberg being most likely). However, if Murray doesn't feel like one of those players has the ability to be a legitimate first liner in the future, he should sign/trade for one to ensure that the Sens get one.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Gil Gunderson

We look good at centre (assuming Zib is a C), defence, and goaltending.

Strength on the wing, while important, is usually a secondary concern when it comes to building a core.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:25 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Out of our abundance of forward prospects (including Zibanejad and Silfverberg), we need 1 LW to become a legit 2nd liner, and 2 RW to become legit Top 6ers (ideally, one being a first liner).

We have Spezza and Michalek who are both legitimate 1st liners. Kyle Turris is a legitimate 2nd liner. Lets pretend we don't have Alfie (or at least we don't count him as a legit 2nd liner). That means we need 3 more (hopefully one of those includes a legitimate 1st liner) Top 6ers, and we have a potential list of:

-Silfverberg
-Zibanejad
-Stone
-Hoffman
-Prince
-Pageau
-Da Costa
-Noesen
-Puempel
-Petersson

To me, there is a very good chance that at least 3 players on that list become top 6 players (with Zibanejad and Silfverberg being most likely). However, if Murray doesn't feel like one of those players has the ability to be a legitimate first liner in the future, he should sign/trade for one to ensure that the Sens get one.
I think Greening and Condra have much better chances of becoming "top 6 players" than Puempel and Petersson, at the least. They are young, and they are in the NHL.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
I think Greening and Condra have much better chances of becoming "top 6 players" than Puempel and Petersson, at the least. They are young, and they are in the NHL.
Going to have to disagree with you on that one. I don't think AP will ever stick (sorry AndrePetersson the female mod), but Puempel has impressed me when I've seen him this year. He's such a natural goal scorer.

Let's just say the odds of Erik Condra becoming a top 6 player (meaning 50+ points based on what HF classifies a Top 6) is zilch. He just doesn't have the hands and knack around the net for it.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:35 PM
trobby

Our future is bright.

The fact that we are still competitive with all these young guys in the lineup speak volumes of good we can be with a full/healthy lineup.

It's all good!

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:38 PM
mcnorth

I think we're in good shape 'moving forward.'

We have the #1 impact D-man in place, we have a solid goaltender (whomever they go with), and we have in place a lot of guys who look to be legit NHLers who can slot in nicely as needed.

Alfie has been a franchise player and, oddly enough, not all teams always have a franchise player. EK will be that guy the way Lidstrom was for Detroit. My concern is Spezza's health and what may be a deterioration in his play through his 30's if his back continues to be an issue. Having a true #1 center is a big deal and right now I don't see anyone in the system who can be that guy if Spezza isn't. But there's always moves to be made, FA's to woo, draft surprises, and sometimes you put together a great team without being the traditional blueprint.

I'm happy with the plan and players in place right now. Might not net a Stanley Cup b/c who frickin' knows from year to year - but I can't quibble too much with the work that has been done.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Topside

As long as Erik Karlsson is on the team, the future is bright.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:50 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

The future is bright, with the caveat being that the future is never as bright as we make it out to be on HFBoards, as we tend to overhype our prospects. Not just this season, or last year, but every year.

So to answer your question: yes/no.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:52 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Team still needs a young #1 forward and it should be set.

Top end forward talent is the only need.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:54 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Team still needs a young #1 forward and it should be set.

Top end forward talent is the only need.
Pretty much this.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
The future is bright, with the caveat being that the future is never as bright as we make it out to be on HFBoards, as we tend to overhype our prospects. Not just this season, or last year, but every year.

So to answer your question: yes/no.
Fans who think that every single prospect will pan out have that problem.

However, we really do have a prospect pool where it isn't unrealistic to expect that 3 guys really do pan out into legitimate top 6 players.

MAK said what I said earlier much more simply. This team needs to find a way to get one 1st line player, and 2 2nd line players through whatever capacity, and then they will be a Stanley Cup contender.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:56 PM
HockeySens

Trades and free-agency signings happen, also there's a draft every year, there are a lot of ways to make a team better, its very unusual to have a team full of just drafted players that were originally drafted by the same team, most teams get better through trade and free agency unless of course you hav a top 5 pick for about 20 years. Also if you look at other teams prospect pool then you would say we have a good one

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:57 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Puempel is a long shot why? He's just had a ton of injuries. He's still scoring goals though.

The reality is that we don't have any idea who will actually emerge as the next good / great player. Maybe we haven't drafted that person yet.

If anything, I'd say the future is not as close as many seem to think it is.

Guys like Ceci, Puempel, Noesen, etc... are years away.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Puempel is a long shot why? He's just had a ton of injuries. He's still scoring goals though.

The reality is that we don't have any idea who will actually emerge as the next good / great player. Maybe we haven't drafted that person yet.

If anything, I'd say the future is not as close as many seem to think it is.

Guys like Ceci, Puempel, Noesen, etc... are years away.
Every prospect is a "long-shot" somewhat.

Matt Puempel was drafted in the hopes that he would be a 30 goal scoring sharp-shooter winger.

The odds of him getting there are less than the odds of him not getting there. That's just the way the percentages are when you're looking at a guy in the late first round. They can pan out, but they also could not. Puempel's not going to be a guy that will only somewhat reach his potential and be a 3rd line grinder. He's either going to be a career AHLer who gets the occasional cup of coffee in the N, or he's going to reach his potential as a top 6er.

Old
03-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Building through the draft is the strategy that most teams use, including those that ALSO go out and acquire top players via UFA. We won't be able to compete with those teams unless (a) we get lucky, or (b) we man up and start bringing in more talent than the draft alone can offer.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Every prospect is a "long-shot" somewhat.

Matt Puempel was drafted in the hopes that he would be a 30 goal scoring sharp-shooter winger.

The odds of him getting there are less than the odds of him not getting there. That's just the way the percentages are when you're looking at a guy in the late first round. They can pan out, but they also could not. Puempel's not going to be a guy that will only somewhat reach his potential and be a 3rd line grinder. He's either going to be a career AHLer who gets the occasional cup of coffee in the N, or he's going to reach his potential as a top 6er.
So...

Worst case- Bobby Butler
Best case- Matt Moulson?

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote