HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is DaCosta not in Ottawa?

Old
03-03-2013, 01:18 AM
Samsquanch
Creep

vCash: 1300
Why is DaCosta not in Ottawa?

Get this kid the **** back to Ottawa, and get him playing again.

I really didnt understand the decision to send him down, although we went on a winning streak (albeit an ugly one) so it was hard make too much of a fuss about it. But even considering that streak, this team's inability to score has not been trending in the right direction for a while now.

Will DaCosta make any noticeable impact whatsoever? Maybe, maybe not. But I think he at least deserves one more shot while we're still devastated up front with injuries.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Vaclav Varada
CoJo

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaclav Varada
Why do so many people think just bringing up Da Costa will completely change our offence? The kid has some skill but he's not a game changer or anything. The hooplah this kid causes is crazy.

Vaclav Varada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:26 AM
NinjaSlap

vCash: 462
Because MacLean doesn't want his record of most points by a French born player to be touched.

NinjaSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:32 AM
Samsquanch
Creep

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Why do so many people think just bringing up Da Costa will completely change our offence? The kid has some skill but he's not a game changer or anything. The hooplah this kid causes is crazy.
I dont believe he'll completely change our offense, but I certainly dont think he'll hurt it whatsoever. The injuries to our skilled players has never been so severe, and he's been the best threat we've had all year down in bingo, so unless Im missing something here it seems obvious to me he should be playing right now.

Send him back as soon as the first person comes back. But right now, in our hour of need, why not at least give it a try,

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:41 AM
Vaclav Varada
CoJo

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaclav Varada
I honestly think all it comes down too is MacLean does not trust him defensively. And the style we play right now is very bump and grind with an aggressive back check. I know people are going to say we allow a lot of shots, but quite a few of them we keep to the outside. Da Costa needs to work on his 3 zone play in Bingo before he get's quality ice time under the Paulrus

Vaclav Varada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:42 AM
Benjamin
Shadilay

vCash: 50
Because everyone deserves and is getting a chance to play in the NHL.

Hoffman and Stone are next, im guessing.

Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:50 AM
TSA0402

What difference would it make, nobody can score on Ottawa now anyway. Kyle Turris should have 15 assists at this point if anybody could actually shoot beyond the pads. Might as well stick to the bump and grind formula, its worked pretty good thus far.

They are getting chances, but nobody can snipe except maybe Silfverberg who is being covered and forced outside.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:04 AM
DrEasy
Out rumptackling

McStache didn't even use Da Costa for those things that he could have helped us with:

- He didn't play many minutes on the PP;
- He didn't participate in the shoot out (not even as the 5th or 6th guy).

It's a complete mystery to me. McLean used him on lines with grinders and guys with no finish (granted, it's not like currently we have many finishers he could play with anyway).

I wouldn't be surprised if this guy felt he's not being given a fair chance and demanded a trade. He's been a model citizen so far.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:07 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

It's all a learning process. They get him to crave it. They give him a taste of the real stuff, send him back to work on things he understands he needs work on and can come back up even better.

It's like scratching O'Brien and Greening, gives them an eye opener on what they need to work on and they come back stronger than ever. Only difference is that DaCosta has a 2way.

I'm assuming none of you have coached before.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:41 AM
topshelf15

Good skill on offense ,but his defensive game needs work .He isnt ready

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:55 AM
Johnny Hanson

He didn't do anything why would he get called up again?

Johnny Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:12 AM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hanson View Post
He didn't do anything why would he get called up again?
THIS

I don't get the DaCosta love he will never be a second line C Too small defense is lacking not physical and he has not really put up points when given the chance..

Last edited by CarknerCountry: 03-03-2013 at 07:32 AM.
CarknerCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:29 AM
Legend Killer

Luke Richardson said this week that he went back to Bingo with a great attitude and a list of things to work on. Apparently he has been working out in the gym whenever possible. He will need to use this summer wisely(as will Turris) to get a better shot next year. Just not strong enough

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Regin is back. No need to have an extra center up sitting in the pressbox. Send him back down to Bingo to get top line minutes in. When MM is back, expect to see Grant or DD sent back down. When Latendresse is back, expect to see hell freeze over.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:00 AM
FlapjackSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Regin is back. No need to have an extra center up sitting in the pressbox. Send him back down to Bingo to get top line minutes in. When MM is back, expect to see Grant or DD sent back down. When Latendresse is back, expect to see hell freeze over.
This.

Also, Lehner is up, so an extra body needed to go down.

Is this thread cereal?

FlapjackSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Nizzy

Have you seen are line combos.. Neil Smith and DD on 1st pp unit ..And you think you can question Stache's personal decisions "who do you think you are " lol

Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Senateurs
Let's win it all

Because all the callup players have a different role than what DaCosta brings. He's a better offensive player than guys like Smith, Dziurzinsky or Condra but they all have a specific role and most of them have one way contracts. There is also the fact that drafted prospects will always get more chances than free agents.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post
Because all the callup players have a different role than what DaCosta brings. He's a better offensive player than guys like Smith, Dziurzinsky or Condra but they all have a specific role and most of them have one way contracts. There is also the fact that drafted prospects will always get more chances than free agents.
The bolded player is undrafted and on a two way contract. I do agree though that drafted players will get a better shot and that is why Hoffman or Stone are most likely next.

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Dionysus

He was one guy who created offence when he was here. I would like to see him back up. Actually threw some big checks too! He would certainly provide more spark than Grant.

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:43 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Because Stache ****ing says so, end argument.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:21 PM
burf

Keep in mind that the team didn't score a single even strength goal while he was on the ice during his callup, meaning that, while he was suffering some bad luck, maybe his playmaking wasn't really all that effective. I like the kid, but he just wasn't getting it done offensively in a way that could make up for his defensive shortcomings. Especially with Regin, our most defensively responsible center, back in the lineup.

Seemed like Maclean tried him with every possible combination of wingers while he was up too, and just nothing clicked. There was a healthy dose of bad luck there, but with the team as it stands, if you're not putting up points, you need to be getting it done defensively. And Da Costa wasn't doing either, despite having more offensive zone starts than anyone else on the roster.

burf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
I honestly think all it comes down too is MacLean does not trust him defensively. And the style we play right now is very bump and grind with an aggressive back check. I know people are going to say we allow a lot of shots, but quite a few of them we keep to the outside. Da Costa needs to work on his 3 zone play in Bingo before he get's quality ice time under the Paulrus
Probably has more to do with the 23 man roster limit.

Da Costa was the odd man out when Regin came back, I do think MacLean rates Regin over Da Costa.

Once Anderson is ready, Lehner can go back down opening a spot for Michalek to return.

At this point it is hard to believe Silf, Zibby, Gryba, Wiercoich, Benoit and DD aren't here to stay.

So Murray will have two spots to rotate Stone, Hoffman, Da Costa and Grant in and out.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post
Dziurzinsky's two goals says otherwise.

Only joking!!

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:48 PM
L'Aveuglette
Destroyer of Heads

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Oh yeah that's right, offensive dynamo Regin is back we don't need an offensively creative center in Ottawa no more!

Gimme a break. We could use Da Costa big time right now. Regin can play the wing and no one needs to go to the pressbox unless they crap the bed. I wouldn't be surprised if they called both Stone and Da Costa back up at the same time this week.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:44 AM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
McStache didn't even use Da Costa for those things that he could have helped us with:

- He didn't play many minutes on the PP;
- He didn't participate in the shoot out (not even as the 5th or 6th guy).

It's a complete mystery to me. McLean used him on lines with grinders and guys with no finish (granted, it's not like currently we have many finishers he could play with anyway).

I wouldn't be surprised if this guy felt he's not being given a fair chance and demanded a trade. He's been a model citizen so far.
He averaged 2:14 of PP time a game. That ranks only behind Turris, Michalek, Alfie and Spezza for forwards.

We won the two shootouts in which he was playing in.

He received playing time with Alfie and Michalek.

Obviously the coaching staff and management felt that other players could do more to help the team win. Just because he is an offensive player doesn't mean he is the player that is going to help us win.

MrCraigAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote