HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The CIS 2013 University Cup

Old
03-14-2013, 07:59 PM
northvanman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
Ask lakehead about hartigan.... In the final game of that series in Thunder Bay lakehead out shot them by more than a 2/1 margins and still lost. Have watched hartigan for a while know there is no doubt he is among the best in the CIS if not the best. Lets go OUA!
Actually, I think Ryan Daniels on Laurier is better than Hartigan and the best goalie in the OUA - Hartigan can be inconsistent (regular season save pctg. was just a shade over .9), but he can get on a roll like he has been since the playoffs started - he's been the difference in all but 2 of the 7 playoff games Waterloo has won.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Shootmaster_44

Was there play by play on the webcast this afternoon? If so who did the game? I like how they have simulcast the CJWW broadcast with the Blades crew tonight.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:40 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
Ask lakehead about hartigan.... In the final game of that series in Thunder Bay lakehead out shot them by more than a 2/1 margins and still lost. Have watched hartigan for a while know there is no doubt he is among the best in the CIS if not the best. Lets go OUA!
Interestingly enough, the goaltender he was up against, Kurtis Mucha was just awarded the CIS goaltender of the year.

As north alluded to above, Ryan Daniels of Laurier was awarded the OUA West goaltender of the year in front of Hartigan, as Hartigan can be inconsistent. His save percentage was only .902 in the regular season, but when he gets hot, he can be so good. This is his last CIS season, and he carried the 6th place Warriors through seeds 1-3 in the regular season and now against Alberta, a team that by the shot clock, dominated the Warriors. He has certainly picked a good time to play his best.

Currently streaming the UNB and Sask game. I agree the viewing angle is less than ideal, but it is still great to be able to watch nonetheless. The dynamic in the other pool has certainly changed now.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Prov1X

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post

Currently streaming the UNB and Sask game. I agree the viewing angle is less than ideal, but it is still great to be able to watch nonetheless. The dynamic in the other pool has certainly changed now.
The National Championship being streamed by a hand held web cam, what a shame. This tournament should have national coverage for all of the games!

Prov1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Big Bad Jon

This webcast is an ABSOLUTE EMBARASMENT...keeps buffering and low low quality. Are you kidding? This is the national championships with a big audience and they have a webcast that isn't fit for pee-wee...I'm just steaming this is rediculous.

Big Bad Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prov1X View Post
The National Championship being streamed by a hand held web cam, what a shame. This tournament should have national coverage for all of the games!
Considering that most programs don't draw over 400 people average during the year, it's already good that some games are shown nationally.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
It surprises me that Sportsnet with 6 channels (if you count SNet World), this couldn't be on somewhere. But at least there is decent play by play doing this webcast. The camera angle looks no worse than most other games (beyond the World Juniors) at CUC. It is much better than other games I have seen streamed from Canada West football. At Foote Field in Edmonton, they have to shoot through a window and one of the brackets is in the way. It loses about a the 20 to the 5 yardline.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:56 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
It surprises me that Sportsnet with 6 channels (if you count SNet World), this couldn't be on somewhere. But at least there is decent play by play doing this webcast. The camera angle looks no worse than most other games (beyond the World Juniors) at CUC. It is much better than other games I have seen streamed from Canada West football. At Foote Field in Edmonton, they have to shoot through a window and one of the brackets is in the way. It loses about a the 20 to the 5 yardline.
All they have to do is zoom in a bit, they do it on face offs and it looks fine, but then they zoom all the way back out

same quality as the webcast back from 2006

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:58 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Big news....UNB's power play still stinks.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Jon View Post
This webcast is an ABSOLUTE EMBARASMENT...keeps buffering and low low quality. Are you kidding? This is the national championships with a big audience and they have a webcast that isn't fit for pee-wee...I'm just steaming this is rediculous.
Must be your net that is buffering. I haven't had an issue at all, in fact I have the CJWW radio broadcast running in as well and no issues.

I also don't see a huge issue with the quality beyond the graphics. It is not any worse than any other Canada West webcast I have seen in any other sport. I remember watching webcasts last year from the University Cup and they seemed just as bad or worse than this.

At least you can watch the webcast. In 2010, the Huskies were at the Final 8 Men's basketball tournament. On the Final Sunday, TSN forbid streaming any of the games regardless of whether they aired the games on TV or not. Luckily for me the Huskies played in the Finals which was televised. But for fans of other programs, they couldn't even watch the other games.

Also, except in the Atlantic, CIS hockey is not big time. It ranks somewhere around the Allan Cup in popularity, if that. Beyond CIS football broadcasts, I don't expect much from them since they are a niche sport. Granted, CIS football in a lot of the country is just the same as hockey. It is big in a few places, and huge in a couple areas and the rest it is a niche sport attended by a few students and friends and family.

For NCAA fans, the popularity of CIS hockey in the majority of the country ranks somewhere around Division III and perhaps ACHA hockey.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
All they have to do is zoom in a bit, they do it on face offs and it looks fine, but then they zoom all the way back out

same quality as the webcast back from 2006
The only annoying thing with this webcast and really it isn't a huge issue, is that the camera operator isn't paying super close attention and missed some action as they didn't move the camera over.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Big Bad Jon

I guess we are just spoiled in the AUS where we get accustomed to quality streaming with some broadcasts offering multiple cameras and angles and some offering replays and such...certainly the expectation is that it will be clear enough to make out all the player numbers and follow the puck no problem....oh well...i guess i'll just have to head west and come to the games live next yr.

Big Bad Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:13 PM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
I guess we are just spoiled in the AUS where we get accustomed to quality streaming with some broadcasts offering multiple cameras and angles and some offering replays and such...certainly the expectation is that it will be clear enough to make out all the player numbers and follow the puck no problem....oh well...i guess i'll just have to head west and come to the games live next yr.
We are spoiled with the AUS streams. And with BellAliant providing the hosting/streaming service, any latency or buffering issues can be traced back to the source rather than the server.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Yeah supply and demand really. A lot of Canada West streaming games don't even have play by play, you have to synch the radio broadcast (I am a bigger football fan than anything for CIS and those are carried on the radio) to get any play by play. Most people in Saskatoon are Huskies hockey fans for this tournament only and would never head to Rutherford to see a game. I'll be honest, I am one of those who actually have never seen them play at Rutherford. Mostly because I can never find anyone who wants to go.

But definitely come on out, you'll enjoy yourself in my hometown, though you'll go home disappointed. Go Dawgs!

Old
03-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Prov1X

I am not knocking the quality (other than the zoom issues) as it has been pretty stable for me, just saying there is no reason not to have some real camera's and a national feed. Shame, great way to grow the game.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Shootmaster_44

Jimmy Bubnick!! Power play goal for the Dawgs! 1-0 U of S!

Old
03-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Prov1X

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
No power play and taking bad penalties, sounds very familiar

Old
03-14-2013, 09:26 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
No power play and taking bad penalties, sounds very familiar
Special teams have been below average all year....it is bound to bite them at some point.

Holfeld is playing great as well...which, as we seen this afternoon, is scary for the opposition.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Prov1X

Then they go and score on back to back pp's. Starting to get their legs, momentum has shifted towards UNB.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:47 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
I may take that back.

Although I am still waiting for the inevitable 5-on3 they will have to kill.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:51 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
I may take that back.

Although I am still waiting for the inevitable 5-on3 they will have to kill.

Saskatchewan is playing the penalty kill well, dave adolph hitler obviously studied video, they are guarding the point and top of the right face-off circle tight

However looks like UNB is getting looser third period almost always their best, I will still stick with my five goal prediction till the buzzer

Old
03-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Prov1X

Thought that they played a good first period, came out a little flat in the second and then started to roll. Nothing surprising really, a lot of their games this year went this way. Should be an interesting third.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Saskatchewan is playing the penalty kill well, dave adolph hitler obviously studied video, they are guarding the point and top of the right face-off circle tight

However looks like UNB is getting looser third period almost always their best, I will still stick with my five goal prediction till the buzzer
I expect the Dogs to get back in this one. They just need to stop taking stupid penalties. Should be a good 3rd period.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:03 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
I expect the Dogs to get back in this one. They just need to stop taking stupid penalties. Should be a good 3rd period.
I have to say I expected Saskatchewan to show more offensive flash but struggle on defence it's been the opposite I find the defence and hitting are doing a great job limiting UNB.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
I have to say I expected Saskatchewan to show more offensive flash but struggle on defence it's been the opposite I find the defence and hitting are doing a great job limiting UNB.
From what I've seen and read this season, the Dogs weren't the flashy offensive juggernaut, they have been. It seemed they were physical and defensive minded. I still think this one is going to OT.