HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Taking a look back at 50+ years worth of "The Hockey News" covers

Old
03-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
OT: Taking a look back at 50+ years worth of "The Hockey News" covers

Posted this on the history of hockey forum, but thought some here may have interest in this as well. Many Habs covers over the years, especially with the cup wins in the 60's and 70's.

I said I was eventually going to do it, so here it is. I've had them saved on my desktop for awhile now. If anyone is interested in a cool little look back at THN history, every single cover since the beginning of the 1958-1959 season (well, 1 missing in total but it's on its way shortly, and I'll be able to add it as well) is there for your viewing, along with all the yearbooks, special magazines, pool guides etc..

Some issues are in better condition than others, and a few pictures didn't come out as clear as I had hoped. But in any case, they are all viewable.

I've broken it down onto 2 different photobucket accounts.

Quote:
1. 1958-1959 through 1992-1993.

http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/Co...yNews/profile/

2. 1993-1994 through present day + All special editions and various other items from my collection

http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Co...News2/profile/
Make sure you click on "albums" in the bottom right corner. Then, on the next page make sure "albums and stories" (left of page) isn't hidden. All of the different albums (organized into years) will be listed.

Any comments or questions about a specific issue in the collection, feel free to ask.

So, to anyone interested..enjoy!

03-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Yep

Wow, time sure flies... thankfully there are things that just won't change

Yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yep View Post

One of my personal favorites.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Posted this on the history of hockey forum, but thought some here may have interest in this as well. Many Habs covers over the years, especially with the cup wins in the 60's and 70's.

I said I was eventually going to do it, so here it is. I've had them saved on my desktop for awhile now. If anyone is interested in a cool little look back at THN history, every single cover since the beginning of the 1958-1959 season (well, 1 missing in total but it's on its way shortly, and I'll be able to add it as well) is there for your viewing, along with all the yearbooks, special magazines, pool guides etc..

Some issues are in better condition than others, and a few pictures didn't come out as clear as I had hoped. But in any case, they are all viewable.

I've broken it down onto 2 different photobucket accounts.

Make sure you click on "albums" in the bottom right corner. Then, on the next page make sure "albums and stories" (left of page) isn't hidden. All of the different albums (organized into years) will be listed.

Any comments or questions about a specific issue in the collection, feel free to ask.

So, to anyone interested..enjoy!

It's 50 years of second-rate sports writing. Recycle it and spare a forest, not to mention that 50 years' worth of paper constitutes a fire hazard.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
It's 50 years of second-rate sports writing. Recycle it and spare a forest, not to mention that 50 years' worth of paper constitutes a fire hazard.
I appreciate the opinion and concern, but I don't think I'll be recycling my collection..

In all honesty, THN at one time was a very good publication. Things of course went downhill in the late 90's - early 00's with the popularity of the Internet. Nowadays, it's nothing special when you compare it to years ago. Only reason I still subscribe is for collecting purposes.

Old
03-23-2013, 08:59 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Jeez, a bit harsh dude. The guy faithfully collects and protects something of value, photographs it, and then shares it with generosity. Be nice.

I think it is of great interest.

And to the OP, you might want to talk to the hockey hall of fame about your collection. Believe me, they will be interested.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 04:07 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Jeez, a bit harsh dude. The guy faithfully collects and protects something of value, photographs it, and then shares it with generosity. Be nice.

I think it is of great interest.

And to the OP, you might want to talk to the hockey hall of fame about your collection. Believe me, they will be interested.
Thanks bsl. I know the HHOF has a portion of back issues available through microfiche at one of their resource centers. I think it starts right at the beginning (1947) and goes through 1987.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Habbadasher

Quote:
Thanks bsl. I know the HHOF has a portion of back issues available through microfiche at one of their resource centers. I think it starts right at the beginning (1947) and goes through 1987.
You are very dedicated and should be proud of your collection, as I am grateful to you for sharing.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
You are very dedicated and should be proud of your collection, as I am grateful to you for sharing.
Thank you. I'm very proud of my collection. To think, just a few years ago I had "completed" my collection by acquiring the remaining issues I needed to own every issue since 1989-1990. Well, I decided to work on the earlier years, and boy did the collection ever grow quickly.

Mad props goes to my wife for allowing it, both financially and for the major space in our home that these take up.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:27 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:

Poor Brian should have read this issue before he took over the job.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Chet-Nick

Quote:

That's a funny retro issue. Who ever became a Maple Leafs fan, during the 1980's, should have had their head examined.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Some of my favourites:

p

Old
03-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Et le But

Wow, thanks for posting this, very interesting.

I still like THN for season previews and their specials when they rank various things.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:01 AM
TinordiandSubban

Some epic photos there!

Some of the headlines are puzzling:

"Flyer's Froese is not a Cigar-Store Indian" What's that about?

"How Irving Grundman helped build the champs" Would like to read that one. Wonder if Pierre Gauthier will get a similar headline soon!?!

Must be some great nostalgic reads in there!

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:18 PM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
I have 4 mint editions of The Hockey News : Les fantômes du Forum edition. I wonder if they are worth anything.

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
I have 4 mint editions of The Hockey News : Les fantômes du Forum edition. I wonder if they are worth anything.
Not too much. I paid 20 bucks for the 4 of them on ebay a few years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
Must be some great nostalgic reads in there!
Oh, absolutely. My favorites are the old draft previews and future watch specials. Some hilarious quotes/predictions in those.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:33 PM
windycity

Quote:
Oh, absolutely. My favorites are the old draft previews and future watch specials. Some hilarious quotes/predictions in those.
share some!

nice work btw!

edit: found one right away on a cover page "Oilers expect Sobchuk to be a Superstar"

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
share some!

nice work btw!

edit: found one right away on a cover page "Oilers expect Sobchuk to be a Superstar"
I'll have to dig them out, but the ones that come to mind immediately are Jaromir Jagr being "not real flashy" back in '90, or Ryan Sittler being the "safest pick" in the draft in '92. Or how about Trevor Kidd being a "sure bet" in '90. There are tons more, but these are the ones that came to mind.

Regarding Sobchuk, he actually was a very highly touted prospect. He became the 1st ever underage player to sign a contract with a professional team (Cincinnati in the WHA) before leaving major junior. The WHA were raiding the NHL at that time and scored what was believed to be 3 huge prospect coups..Sobchuk, Ron Chipperfield and Pat Price.

Sobchuk had a pretty decent WHA career until he suffered a shoulder injury. Never was the same player after that, and never did make a mark in the NHL.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 03-25-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old
03-25-2013, 02:55 PM
windycity

Quote:
I'll have to dig them out, but the ones that come to mind immediately are Jaromir Jagr being "not real flashy" back in '90, or Ryan Sittler being the "safest pick" in the draft in '92. Or how about Trevor Kidd being a "sure bet" in '90. There are tons more, but these are the ones that came to mind.

Regarding Sobchuk, he actually was a very high touted prospect. He became the 1st ever underage player to sign a contract with a professional team (Cincinnati in the WHA) before leaving major junior. The WHA were raiding the NHL at that time and scored what was believed to be 3 huge prospect coups..Sobchuk, Ron Chipperfield and Pat Price.

Sobchuk had a pretty decent WHA career until he suffered a shoulder injury. Never was the same player after that, and never did make a mark in the NHL.
interesting, never heard of the guy

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
interesting, never heard of the guy
And I forgot in my previous post. The absolute best is in the 2001 Future Watch. The Oilers (B, 11th overall)...with Jani Rita, Alexei Semenov, Jason Chimera, Tony Salmelainen, and Brad Winchester are ranked higher than the Detroit Red Wings (C, 25th overall) with Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall.

And remember, THN themselves don't do the rankings. It was the work of actual NHL scouts.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700

damn! some teams must be happy we have a cap now

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote