HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need Heavyweight enforcer? Part 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2013, 11:59 PM
  #576
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbybirthday View Post
Go watch MMA. Georges st. pierre will beat people down for the province of Quebec. The Habs will win hockey games ok?

This is hockey.

Neil ran around like a baby and didn't affect us at all.
This post reminds me of the little kid in middle school who regularly got his ass kicked every other day by the bully.

But he was happy because they let him drink his milk at lunch.

All is well. Self respect is overrated.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 12:08 AM
  #577
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Montreal still needs more toughness and guys who can stick up for team mates. I agree that a useless goon is not needed on a regular basis but if you can get someone like Boll who actually is a good 4th line player he will not hurt you since he has hockey skills as well.
What hockey skills? The guy had 3 points all season last year. The only thing he brings to a team is his ability to fight. We definitely don't need him.

JohnLennon is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 12:09 AM
  #578
68*
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,022
vCash: 500
I have defended Moen in the past but now he's just disgusting. It looks like he signed a big contract and is sitting on it comfortably. Not interested in fighting anymore.

68* is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 12:30 AM
  #579
capebretoncanadien
Registered User
 
capebretoncanadien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Montreal still needs more toughness and guys who can stick up for team mates. I agree that a useless goon is not needed on a regular basis but if you can get someone like Boll who actually is a good 4th line player he will not hurt you since he has hockey skills as well.
Sure I agree. Better to have too much than not enough. Would love to have a player like Boll.

capebretoncanadien is online now  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:13 AM
  #580
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 5,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Our record in our division is 4-4-2. And don't forget we're in the most physical division. That's not very good.
5-4-2.

How many of those games were during and prior to the 6-0 Drubbing by the Leafs?

January: Lost to Leafs and Sens
February: Wins against Buffalo and Ottawa, loss to Boston 2-1, OTL to Buffalo, 6-0 Drubbing by Toronto.

2-4-1

Afterwards, Montreal has an OTL to Ottawa, beats the Leafs, Bruins and then the Sens tonight.

3-0-1

So in other words, the Canadiens did poorly against their Northeast division rivals until they hit their stride, gelled as a team and went on to become the best team in the Eastern Conference by record.

Hopefully this puts to bed the division excuse. Ever since Montreal decided to outscore and outplay their competition, they've been good. Back when they tried to scrap with them, they lost.

Southernhab, I'll drink my milk at lunch with a smile knowing that the bullies will be washing my car while I graduate with honours.

No Team Needed is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 02:38 AM
  #581
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I have defended Moen in the past but now he's just disgusting. It looks like he signed a big contract and is sitting on it comfortably. Not interested in fighting anymore.
Remember when he was a major warrior for us not long ago (defending teammates, fighting huge guys, black eye and all,etc)...I kept thinking ''Moen needs help #$%^&*#$...he can't do it all by himself...he'll get injured or over-fatigued''.

Well, now I'm thinking this again but with Prust.
(Prust needs the rest and/but he needs some help when he comes back...I'll turn to White right now but hopefully he stays disciplined 'cause I don't like it when Therrien puts him in the doghouse...White's a warrior for us...he always defends teammates).

I think we should maybe be a bit patient with Moen...let's see what this team does in playoffs and let's see if Moen will be a major warrior again for our Habs when it really counts...if he's invisible in playoffs...I'll come here and complain about him, for sure! (right now I'm going to assume he has plenty of energy conserved for the playoffs and plans on using it).

Go Moen Go (let's wait a bit more...for playoffs, if no results...we'll talk 2nd rnd draft pick for the 2013-2014 season...Bourque looked like a ghost last season for us...this season he was going to the net and making it look easy).

Mr. Hab is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 03:10 AM
  #582
Noob616
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I have defended Moen in the past but now he's just disgusting. It looks like he signed a big contract and is sitting on it comfortably. Not interested in fighting anymore.
Moen's game isn't fighting. He provides all kinds of value in his defensive play and work on the PK. Our 4th line takes a lot of defensive zone faceoffs and match up against good opposition, the defensive strength on that line is anchored by Moen, who is about as steady as you can get from a non-Selke candidate. It wouldn't do us any good to have him running all over the ice and making stupid hits to take himself out of the play. Our 4th line is a checking line, not an energy line. I agree he could help Prust and take some of the fighting burden from him, but every game we play I see this obsession with every single player taking the body every single time, and it just isn't realistic.

White fills the 4th line's RAH RAH quota, White does all the good stuff, he fights, runs all over the ice and hits people. Moen is there to be a plus defensively. Armstrong and White are average at the defensive game, and Moen is far above average. That's why we signed him to a long deal, and that's why he isn't running all over the ice hitting guys. Not every 4th line player has to be full of **** and vinegar.

Noob616 is online now  
Old
03-14-2013, 07:03 AM
  #583
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 25,642
vCash: 500
I have the impression last night that Neil didn't want to dance with Cube.

Kimota is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 08:51 AM
  #584
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 34,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I have the impression last night that Neil didn't want to dance with Cube.
He was yapping all night but I don't think he was looking for a fight.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 09:19 AM
  #585
Habsterix*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Don't look now but at center ice our future goon


GSP
I imagine him make Lucic tap out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Wow Neil has taken runs at 5 of our players that I noticed so far tonight! If only we had Boll....
Boll-type player who can skate and keep up for 8-10 minutes a game, yes. But not a Parros or someone who's on the ice 5 minutes a game. They're no use if they're not on the ice when something happens... But those Boll-type players are few and far between.

I still think that Clowe is the best option personally, but it seems like the asking price is ridiculously high.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 10:26 AM
  #586
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 71,461
vCash: 723
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Lots of speculations on the possibility that the Canadiens claim Ben Eager on waivers today. It won't happen. #RDS

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
03-14-2013, 10:28 AM
  #587
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 35,953
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Lots of speculations on the possibility that the Canadiens claim Ben Eager on waivers today. It won't happen. #RDS
Thanks for crushing our dreams Renaud

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 10:28 AM
  #588
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 34,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Lots of speculations on the possibility that the Canadiens claim Ben Eager on waivers today. It won't happen. #RDS
He's usually very "plugged in".

My hunch is either...A-the concussions make him not want to fight B-MB knows him and doesn't want him either because of attitude or penalities.

It could also be C-because he has 1.1 mil owing next year, but I see that as a minor issue.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 10:34 AM
  #589
HBDay
"I ****ing LOVE it"
 
HBDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
This post reminds me of the little kid in middle school who regularly got his ass kicked every other day by the bully.

But he was happy because they let him drink his milk at lunch.

All is well. Self respect is overrated.
This post reminds me of someone who went to middle school in the 80's.... in the south.

HBDay is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 10:35 AM
  #590
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
5-4-2.

How many of those games were during and prior to the 6-0 Drubbing by the Leafs?

January: Lost to Leafs and Sens
February: Wins against Buffalo and Ottawa, loss to Boston 2-1, OTL to Buffalo, 6-0 Drubbing by Toronto.

2-4-1

Afterwards, Montreal has an OTL to Ottawa, beats the Leafs, Bruins and then the Sens tonight.

3-0-1

So in other words, the Canadiens did poorly against their Northeast division rivals until they hit their stride, gelled as a team and went on to become the best team in the Eastern Conference by record.

Hopefully this puts to bed the division excuse. Ever since Montreal decided to outscore and outplay their competition, they've been good. Back when they tried to scrap with them, they lost.

Southernhab, I'll drink my milk at lunch with a smile knowing that the bullies will be washing my car while I graduate with honours.
It's awesome when you are the honors student and are able to stand up to bullies.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 10:41 AM
  #591
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon
 
Son Oncle Jerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
I don't trust Lavoie. We might not claim Eager (I don't expect us to), but Lavoie has made a fool of himself before with similar declarations.

Son Oncle Jerry is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
  #592
EveryDay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
I don't trust Lavoie. We might not claim Eager (I don't expect us to), but Lavoie has made a fool of himself before with similar declarations.

Wrong..... Lavoie is pretty accurrate 95% of the time.

EveryDay is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
  #593
417
17.5
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 26,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Thornton was in the game against the Habs last time we played them.

So was McClaren. So was Neil. So was Parros. So was Scott.

I am seeing a pattern with the anti-enforcer crowd. Poorly informed.


Edit to add..........

Any person that brings up Laraque as an example of what an enforcer should be based upon his short tenure here in Montreal deserves a few of these.........
Are you kidding me?

McClaren barely played the last game vs the Habs and the only time he's ever been a factor was when Gorges took him on

Neil is not a heavyweight, he's like Prust...

Parros? I haven't noticed him once when the Habs have played the Panthers...

Scott? See above reference to Parros

Again...the Habs don't need a HEAVYWEIGHT, these players types of players only fight other heavyweights, they have very little impact on the game

What the Habs need are players who are willing to take on non-heavyweights (like Neil, Frasor, Thornton, etc) These players can play, they're out there at the very least 10 mins a game and they intimidate players on the ice.

I fully support the Habs getting a guy like Jared Boll...but a one-dimensional goon?

Sorry, i don't see the point

417 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 10:45 AM
  #594
HBDay
"I ****ing LOVE it"
 
HBDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
It's awesome when you are the honors student and are able to stand up to bullies.
It's awesome when it's 2013.



Now give me your VCash.

HBDay is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 10:57 AM
  #595
Feel The Rush
Registered User
 
Feel The Rush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Lots of speculations on the possibility that the Canadiens claim Ben Eager on waivers today. It won't happen. #RDS
Good

Feel The Rush is online now  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:16 AM
  #596
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbybirthday View Post
Go watch MMA. Georges st. pierre will beat people down for the province of Quebec. The Habs will win hockey games ok?

This is hockey.

Neil ran around like a baby and didn't affect us at all.
oohhh yeaah. the good argument "go watch MMA". Neil challanged all your team the other night in your building. You have to step up. If you don't like it, go watch figure skating or ringuette.

This is hockey


Last edited by bud12: 03-14-2013 at 11:25 AM.
bud12 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:26 AM
  #597
Tendresse
Capitaine Gorges
 
Tendresse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
oohhh yeaah. the good argument "go watch MMA". Neil challanged all your team the other night in your building. You have to step up. If you don't like it, go watch figure skating or ringuette.

This is hockey
And we won the game. Your point?

Tendresse is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:29 AM
  #598
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon
 
Son Oncle Jerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendresse View Post
And we won the game. Your point?
Kind of like we won against Boston in the 2008 playoffs, right?

But we were so banged up in the 2nd round that we got our ***** kicked. A team can't endure this and keep winning on the long-term.

Son Oncle Jerry is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:29 AM
  #599
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendresse View Post
And we won the game. Your point?
Boston and Toronto win games too. They have enforcer too. Your point?

bud12 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:34 AM
  #600
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Boston and Toronto win games too. They have enforcer too. Your point?
So teams can win without enforcers, teams can win with enforcers, teams can lose with enforcers, teams can lose without enforcers. Maybe the point is enforcers don't have much of an impact on whether you win or lose.

Sorinth is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.