HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weiss out for the year, other injuries

Old
03-05-2013, 02:20 PM
CoolburnIsGone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
You really think the Panthers would move Kulikov?
Only if the right deal came along and they could get a young top line forward in return. And thats just my preference to move him more than if I really think Tallon would move him. Hard to say how Tallon sees Kulikov really so thats been a big question mark about whether Kuli could be traded.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Ghoste
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
this is absolutely the worst season i can remember!!!! injuries, poor signings, poor trades and now limited picks at the deadline. hope we get a high and great pick in the draft and our prospects pan out!!!!
MISERABLE FREAKING SEASON!!!!!!!!!
By poor trade do you mean Ellerby? I liked Ellerby but I don't think it was a poor trade. He was clearly falling off the chart here in Flordia. Just thinking ahead to next season, Campbell, Kuli, Guds, Weaver, and Kuba have contracts. I'm not counting Jovo with the hope that he either retires, bought-out, or somehow traded. Now I cannot see why Tallon wouldn't re-sign Robak and Strachan. Petro I think should be very close.

There wasn't any room for him anymore. And as far as draft picks are considered, 'the more, the better' is my take. And I'm sure somewhere deep down inside Tallon, he does not like the fact that we don't have a 3rd round pick in this draft, so at least another 5th wouldn't hurt.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:24 PM
johano90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
At what point do we begin questioning this team's medical staff and conditioning? Not only do we have guys dropping like flies every other game but now we have this, an injury that probably wasn't caught until now, leading to season ending surgery. I don't want to see Weiss go despite his play this year (which may or may not be the cause for his play this year; I know a wrist injury doesn't cause you to float around like he has this year and leave the ice when the other team is on the offensive but pain will make you do weird things) so hopefully he re-signs for a reasonable amount but I think another team will probably outbid us for him. I definitely do not see him taking a pay cut to stay here.

This year sucks.

I've said it already: keep a few vets like Goc and Kopecky and make this team about the kids with Hubs at the forefront. It's the only thing that makes sense.
I agree. This isn't the first season this has happened to us either... I think Dale should replace the entire medical and conditioning team... This is unacceptable. Someone isn't doing their job.

johano90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Benched

As I put in the thread on the main board, Weiss isn't the kind of guy that says, "I'm hurt I need to sit" if the injury isn't bad. It's probably a case of him not disclosing that the injury was serious (just that he had discomfort or something) and the medical staff saying "Ok" and not checking it out any further, but just letting him play through it. Of course that's speculation but I think, with the way we've been getting injured left and right, it's a pretty good guess.

Someone should be fired.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Acadmus
pastured mod

I was just looking at team stats a few days ago and wondering if Weiss' measly 4 points was due to him playing hurt again. Guess now we know.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Ekblast
See you in October

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
to all those saying Weiss should've been captain and now you're calling for his head (which I've been doing for years now).

Ekblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:10 PM
ShootIt

Well, this is good news for continuing the tank.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Ghoste
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneThugsNHarmony View Post
to all those saying Weiss should've been captain and now you're calling for his head (which I've been doing for years now).
To be fair, I don't think anyone could have predicted these disastrous turn of events for him. If anything, I thought that making the playoffs last year would be a big breath of fresh air and would even allow him to have a career (contract) year.

As far as being captain, him saying he'd rather put off signing a contract sounds too close to, 'I want to cash in somewhere else this offseason' than it does, 'I want to continue playing here in Florida'. I wouldn't have named him captain either.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneThugsNHarmony View Post
Thank you! FINALLY, SOMEONE SAID IT!!! I agree with this statement and have been saying the same thing for some time now. People wanting Weiss to be Capt,and now after his only bad season, we want him traded or feel as though he's gone already.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:27 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
To be fair, I don't think anyone could have predicted these disastrous turn of events for him. If anything, I thought that making the playoffs last year would be a big breath of fresh air and would even allow him to have a career (contract) year.

As far as being captain, him saying he'd rather put off signing a contract sounds too close to, 'I want to cash in somewhere else this offseason' than it does, 'I want to continue playing here in Florida'. I wouldn't have named him captain either.

-ghoste
Never was, is or will be captain material. I think a coach whose a 3x captain knows what to look for. that doesnt mean hes not a solid player.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:45 PM
The Cat Captain

kopecky commented on it and he said that he's been injuried since the beginning, that he even had trouble holding a stick. That he's been fighting so hard to get thru it.
I love the guy and I want him back as our no 2 center, and I hope he and Tallon can agree on a deal before July 1st.

The Cat Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Weiss wasnt one of the difference makes this season. We would not have noticed him on the ice anyway

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:48 PM
PBPantherfan
1st place WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
As bad as Weiss was playing this is probably bad for the tank.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:50 PM
PBPantherfan
1st place WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
If this injury didn't occur during the Faulk fight, why on earth step into a fight if you know your wrist is messed up???
Probably the frustration built up not to mention if it was bad they may have been shooting him up to dull the pain.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:52 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
As bad as Weiss was playing this is probably bad for the tank.
Just in case he was to get out of his funk*.
I doubt it was the wrist that caused him to put no effort into anything.

Anyways, onward to the #1 pick!

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat Captain View Post
kopecky commented on it and he said that he's been injuried since the beginning, that he even had trouble holding a stick. That he's been fighting so hard to get thru it.
I love the guy and I want him back as our no 2 center, and I hope he and Tallon can agree on a deal before July 1st.
Link?

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:08 PM
ElliottStr

When watching Weiss the past few weeks I have noticed it to be very easy for other players to steal the puck from him. I guess the wrist injury could explain that.

ElliottStr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Pantherfan12

Im'ma post it now. Huberdeau is going to have a sophomore slump next season and everyone is going to want him traded!

Honestly, everyone's entitled to have an opinion but I just can't understand all the Weiss bashing. This season was horrible, period. The only consistant bright spot was that youngster line. I believe playing injuried as well as having a death in the family can bring down a players' game. I want Weiss resigned! He's been a reliable player for this team throughout his tenure here, regardless of whether he's a true #1 center or not. He, much like the ENTIRE team (minus a few players) are having a bad season. His is due to injury. We have wayyyy to many injuries this season to pin our bad season on any one particular player.

Imho, Weiss is nothing like Bo and I don't think he'll leave the organization like Bo did. I don't think he wants out and I think he is expecting to retire a Panther (pending the Panthers actually want to keep him until he retires) I don't think he's going to screw the team.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:23 PM
ThePatientPanther
Win-4-Jagr-and-Lu

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Im'ma post it now. Huberdeau is going to have a sophomore slump next season and everyone is going to want him traded!

Honestly, everyone's entitled to have an opinion but I just can't understand all the Weiss bashing. This season was horrible, period. The only consistant bright spot was that youngster line. I believe playing injuried as well as having a death in the family can bring down a players' game. I want Weiss resigned! He's been a reliable player for this team throughout his tenure here, regardless of whether he's a true #1 center or not. He, much like the ENTIRE team (minus a few players) are having a bad season. His is due to injury. We have wayyyy to many injuries this season to pin our bad season on any one particular player.

Imho, Weiss is nothing like Bo and I don't think he'll leave the organization like Bo did. I don't think he wants out and I think he is expecting to retire a Panther (pending the Panthers actually want to keep him until he retires) I don't think he's going to screw the team.
I agree with all you said except for the Huberdeau slump and the SEASON isn't over yet, it's not even half way done. That being said I don't feel we have a good shot at completely turning this season around but we can salvage a .500 record or close to it.

I don't want to TANK as most of the posters on here want us to do, it's not my style and it just looks bad for this organization. The rest of the season will be analyzing the RFA's and UFA's to see who wants to be here next year.

ThePatientPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:36 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
I agree with all you said except for the Huberdeau slump and the SEASON isn't over yet, it's not even half way done. That being said I don't feel we have a good shot at completely turning this season around but we can salvage a .500 record or close to it.

I don't want to TANK as most of the posters on here want us to do, it's not my style and it just looks bad for this organization. The rest of the season will be analyzing the RFA's and UFA's to see who wants to be here next year.
im with you....

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:53 PM
PBPantherfan
1st place WTF?

Quote:

I hate the tank. I am also a realist. If my choice is finishing 9th in the east and picking 13th or 14th or finishing dead last and getting a star I'll take the tank. But if we are going to tank I at least want to see some physical play if you can't beat them beat them up.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:58 PM
ThePatientPanther
Win-4-Jagr-and-Lu

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
im with you....
Reminds me of the Will Smith song "Just the two of us"

I guarantee if we somehow win say 3 out of our next 5, the "tankers" will be all for saving the season again. The life of a Panther fan is not easy.

"Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before. You can fight it, you can do nothing but scream about what you've lost, or you can accept that and try to put together something that's good"

Translation = We are not performing to our expectations of what we had last year but yet we have the Kid Line and the emergence of Jacob Markstrom for the rest of the season.

ThePatientPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:01 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat Captain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Link?

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/03/0...53&feedID=3720

Quote:
Panthers brass and teammates suggested Weiss has played with the injury throughout the season.

"We knew from the beginning of the year that he always had that problem," teammate Tomas Kopecky said. "To see him the past couple weeks, it was a pure struggle, a pure battle, not only games but in practices. It was nice to see him try to go through it, it if you can't, there's nothing you can do about it."
Quote:
If history is any indication, there is a chance the pivot may return to the team that drafted him in 2001, even if for a short period of time.

Weiss tore a wrist ligament in 2006 -- the same one believed to be the cause of this injury -- and missed the final 41 games of the season of a contract year. The center re-signed with the Panthers for one year and followed with his best season to that point, recording career highs in goals (20), assists (28) and points (48). He cashed in the following summer, inking a six-year, $18.6 million deal.
Count me in the group that wants him re-signed. This guy is a warrior.

ratmanfu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Someone has a love/hate relationship for #9

So what's your plan if you were GM if Weiss leaves and you don't offer him a new contract?

You have Shore and Goc signed, Matthias a RFA, Smithson a UFA, Bjugstad and Howden may or may not crack the lineup next year and a bunch of AHLer's in our depth at Center.
A trade can be made or we can sign someone else to replace Weiss.
I would be surprised if he re-signs here, anyway.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote