HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks - Pens

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 11:49 AM
gdsmack267

vCash: 500
Sharks - Pens

Made a post of the Trading board regarding Douglas Murray to the Pens. I think our biggest issue is clearing the slot/crease area and having a true physical presence back there.

Would you guys think he would help out and if so what would you give up for him? I proposed a 3rd rounder plus a prospect like Tom Kühnhackl.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

third and Tom for Murray?

Hell to the yeah I would.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:53 AM
quins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
third and Tom for Murray?

Hell to the yeah I would.
Done as well.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Don't want 'a glacier can skate faster than me' Murray anywhere on this team.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Yeah but Murray is just that, a freaking glacier. He'll titanic anyone that comes close and shove people away from the net like mittens.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:58 AM
PensFan68

Quote:
Yeah but Murray is just that, a freaking glacier. He'll titanic anyone that comes close and shove people away from the net like mittens.
Agreed. We got Gill for the last cup run, we need the same type of guy. Murray adds physicality. Someone like O'Byrne could too. We just need to make sure these guys know they can NEVER jump in the offensive rush.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Jacob

He is real slow, and I think part of the reason Michalek struggled in our puck retrieval system is because he's an average-to-below-average skater. Although I guess that doesn't explain Hal Gill having success here.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Hal Gill somehow survived in DB's system so maybe Murray has a chance. He can pk and clear the crease. We need some of that.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:02 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
He is real slow, and I think part of the reason Michalek struggled in our puck retrieval system is because he's an average-to-below-average skater. Although I guess that doesn't explain Hal Gill having success here.
What do you mean when you say 'puck retrieval system'? On defense? I don't understand. We have a system for when the other team dumps the puck in and how we go get it?

Old
03-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
What do you mean when you say 'puck retrieval system'? On defense? I don't understand. We have a system for when the other team dumps the puck in and how we go get it?
Complete nonsense! Nevermind Jacob, he's been drinking again - Getting these wierd ideas!

Old
03-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Skk82

Quote:
When you're 6'7" and can use a 65 inch stick, that helps. Gill's reach let him cover a lot of ice without having to move his cement blocks known as feet, and I think that was a big reason for his success. That, and for some reason, he could/does get away with a lot of obstruction and cross-checks that other players routinely get whistled on.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:37 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Made a post of the Trading board regarding Douglas Murray to the Pens. I think our biggest issue is clearing the slot/crease area and having a true physical presence back there.

Would you guys think he would help out and if so what would you give up for him? I proposed a 3rd rounder plus a prospect like Tom Kühnhackl.

A DEFENSEMAN is NOT what we should be targeting in a trade. We have limited assets of significant value, and lots of depth on defense. You want size? Enter Despres or Bortuzzo. Both of those guys have the potential of having a long-term future here. Murray does not.

Also, I don't see how such an impractical proposal merits its own thread. I think there's already one for Dmen. (and I felt this way even before Mark Eaton, who has been somewhat of a revelation)

Quote:

True, but Despres and Bortuzzo are our future "glaciers" and we need them to develop at the NHL level. Case closed.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

as a fan of both teams I don't want either guy with either organization. DM is too damn slow and TFK is well TFK.

edit: I see it's a trade involving Das Kuhn and not the traditional Kennedy for Murray swap that has been a fixture on the trad board forever. still don't want Murray.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Hello Newman*

Hell ya, we're the worst in the league at giving up goals from the crease. We could definitely use someone like him.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:02 PM
DeadGator401

Him and Clowe please.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGator401 View Post
Him and Clowe please.
Those two would certainly add size and grit. It would drag the team speed down a bit more though.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:33 PM
DeadGator401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Those two would certainly add size and grit. It would drag the team speed down a bit more though.
I don't care, the Pens need someone who will clear the crease, and add some Toughness to the Forwards.

Clowe has that edge, if someone comes up to Geno, Sid, Neal, Engo won't have to worry about being the man all the man, because Clowe would punch them in the throat.
Clowe is also a proven 20g scorer.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Has anyone pining for Murray actually seen him play this year? Yikes. A 3rd alone is probably overpayment at this point.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:59 PM
vyktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
When you're 6'7" and can use a 65 inch stick, that helps. Gill's reach let him cover a lot of ice without having to move his cement blocks known as feet, and I think that was a big reason for his success. That, and for some reason, he could/does get away with a lot of obstruction and cross-checks that other players routinely get whistled on.
Gill is also a very smart hockey player, no one on the ice or in the stands is more aware of his limitations than he is, and he rarely tries to go outside of what he is capable of.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:02 PM

No way. He'll get Disco fever in the first week.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Gill had the reach and he didn't really rush up the ice, he would retreat back the moment he thought the team was losing possession and of course, his bear hug technique and laying down to block passing lanes and taking years to get back up.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:11 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Newman View Post
Hell ya, we're the worst in the league at giving up goals from the crease. We could definitely use someone like him.

Well getting rid of Orpik could be addition by subtraction in that regard. Brooks is a great skater, is underrated in the transition game and making the first pass, but damn - do I see him miss coverage and watching the puck rather than covering the opposing player/player's stick in front of the net so often.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Can't we just bring Hal Gill back? He's cheaper and better than Scuderi.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
Murray may not be 6'7" but he has other advantages. He may be the strongest player in the NHL. People don't last long in front of the net when he's out there or do well in the corners against him.

I'd gladly welcome Murray on this team. Haters would love him after a few games.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Saints11

I agree bring in Murray and I would also look into Ron Hainsey from Winnipeg. Something like Engelland and a 5th for Murray and Niskanen and Kennedy for Hainsey. Adding size, grit, and a couple of guys who will clear the front of the net. We missed out on Grossman at last years deadline, we should act here. Also, the Flyers are looking for D too.

Closed Thread