HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks - Pens

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2013, 11:49 AM
  #1
gdsmack267
Registered User
 
gdsmack267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Sharks - Pens

Made a post of the Trading board regarding Douglas Murray to the Pens. I think our biggest issue is clearing the slot/crease area and having a true physical presence back there.

Would you guys think he would help out and if so what would you give up for him? I proposed a 3rd rounder plus a prospect like Tom Kühnhackl.

gdsmack267 is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 11:52 AM
  #2
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy
 
Antaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,304
vCash: 500
third and Tom for Murray?

Hell to the yeah I would.

Antaris is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 11:53 AM
  #3
quins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
third and Tom for Murray?

Hell to the yeah I would.
Done as well.

quins is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 11:53 AM
  #4
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains
 
Hans Rutherford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,959
vCash: 500
Don't want 'a glacier can skate faster than me' Murray anywhere on this team.

Hans Rutherford is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 11:56 AM
  #5
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy
 
Antaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,304
vCash: 500
Yeah but Murray is just that, a freaking glacier. He'll titanic anyone that comes close and shove people away from the net like mittens.

Antaris is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 11:58 AM
  #6
PensFan68
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
Yeah but Murray is just that, a freaking glacier. He'll titanic anyone that comes close and shove people away from the net like mittens.
Agreed. We got Gill for the last cup run, we need the same type of guy. Murray adds physicality. Someone like O'Byrne could too. We just need to make sure these guys know they can NEVER jump in the offensive rush.

PensFan68 is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 11:58 AM
  #7
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,378
vCash: 500
He is real slow, and I think part of the reason Michalek struggled in our puck retrieval system is because he's an average-to-below-average skater. Although I guess that doesn't explain Hal Gill having success here.

Jacob is online now  
Old
03-05-2013, 12:00 PM
  #8
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,796
vCash: 500
Hal Gill somehow survived in DB's system so maybe Murray has a chance. He can pk and clear the crease. We need some of that.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 12:02 PM
  #9
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
He is real slow, and I think part of the reason Michalek struggled in our puck retrieval system is because he's an average-to-below-average skater. Although I guess that doesn't explain Hal Gill having success here.
What do you mean when you say 'puck retrieval system'? On defense? I don't understand. We have a system for when the other team dumps the puck in and how we go get it?

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 12:03 PM
  #10
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy
 
Antaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
What do you mean when you say 'puck retrieval system'? On defense? I don't understand. We have a system for when the other team dumps the puck in and how we go get it?
Complete nonsense! Nevermind Jacob, he's been drinking again - Getting these wierd ideas!

Antaris is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 12:21 PM
  #11
Skk82
Registered User
 
Skk82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
He is real slow, and I think part of the reason Michalek struggled in our puck retrieval system is because he's an average-to-below-average skater. Although I guess that doesn't explain Hal Gill having success here.
When you're 6'7" and can use a 65 inch stick, that helps. Gill's reach let him cover a lot of ice without having to move his cement blocks known as feet, and I think that was a big reason for his success. That, and for some reason, he could/does get away with a lot of obstruction and cross-checks that other players routinely get whistled on.

Skk82 is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 12:37 PM
  #12
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Made a post of the Trading board regarding Douglas Murray to the Pens. I think our biggest issue is clearing the slot/crease area and having a true physical presence back there.

Would you guys think he would help out and if so what would you give up for him? I proposed a 3rd rounder plus a prospect like Tom Kühnhackl.

A DEFENSEMAN is NOT what we should be targeting in a trade. We have limited assets of significant value, and lots of depth on defense. You want size? Enter Despres or Bortuzzo. Both of those guys have the potential of having a long-term future here. Murray does not.


Also, I don't see how such an impractical proposal merits its own thread. I think there's already one for Dmen. (and I felt this way even before Mark Eaton, who has been somewhat of a revelation)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
Yeah but Murray is just that, a freaking glacier. He'll titanic anyone that comes close and shove people away from the net like mittens.

True, but Despres and Bortuzzo are our future "glaciers" and we need them to develop at the NHL level. Case closed.

jmelm is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 12:42 PM
  #13
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,559
vCash: 500
as a fan of both teams I don't want either guy with either organization. DM is too damn slow and TFK is well TFK.

edit: I see it's a trade involving Das Kuhn and not the traditional Kennedy for Murray swap that has been a fixture on the trad board forever. still don't want Murray.

Crafton is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 12:51 PM
  #14
Hello Newman*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Hell ya, we're the worst in the league at giving up goals from the crease. We could definitely use someone like him.

Hello Newman* is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 01:02 PM
  #15
DeadGator401
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,155
vCash: 500
Him and Clowe please.

DeadGator401 is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 01:08 PM
  #16
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGator401 View Post
Him and Clowe please.
Those two would certainly add size and grit. It would drag the team speed down a bit more though.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 01:33 PM
  #17
DeadGator401
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Those two would certainly add size and grit. It would drag the team speed down a bit more though.
I don't care, the Pens need someone who will clear the crease, and add some Toughness to the Forwards.

Clowe has that edge, if someone comes up to Geno, Sid, Neal, Engo won't have to worry about being the man all the man, because Clowe would punch them in the throat.
Clowe is also a proven 20g scorer.

DeadGator401 is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 01:54 PM
  #18
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce
 
Tasty Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
Has anyone pining for Murray actually seen him play this year? Yikes. A 3rd alone is probably overpayment at this point.

Tasty Biscuits is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 01:59 PM
  #19
vyktor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
When you're 6'7" and can use a 65 inch stick, that helps. Gill's reach let him cover a lot of ice without having to move his cement blocks known as feet, and I think that was a big reason for his success. That, and for some reason, he could/does get away with a lot of obstruction and cross-checks that other players routinely get whistled on.
Gill is also a very smart hockey player, no one on the ice or in the stands is more aware of his limitations than he is, and he rarely tries to go outside of what he is capable of.

vyktor is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 02:02 PM
  #20
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,352
vCash: 500
No way. He'll get Disco fever in the first week.

#66 is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 07:14 PM
  #21
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 11,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
He is real slow, and I think part of the reason Michalek struggled in our puck retrieval system is because he's an average-to-below-average skater. Although I guess that doesn't explain Hal Gill having success here.
Gill had the reach and he didn't really rush up the ice, he would retreat back the moment he thought the team was losing possession and of course, his bear hug technique and laying down to block passing lanes and taking years to get back up.

Honour Over Glory is online now  
Old
03-05-2013, 10:11 PM
  #22
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Newman View Post
Hell ya, we're the worst in the league at giving up goals from the crease. We could definitely use someone like him.

Well getting rid of Orpik could be addition by subtraction in that regard. Brooks is a great skater, is underrated in the transition game and making the first pass, but damn - do I see him miss coverage and watching the puck rather than covering the opposing player/player's stick in front of the net so often.

jmelm is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 10:13 PM
  #23
Ziggyjoe21
Registered User
 
Ziggyjoe21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pitt
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,306
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Can't we just bring Hal Gill back? He's cheaper and better than Scuderi.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 10:13 PM
  #24
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...
 
Jules Winnfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
When you're 6'7" and can use a 65 inch stick, that helps. Gill's reach let him cover a lot of ice without having to move his cement blocks known as feet, and I think that was a big reason for his success. That, and for some reason, he could/does get away with a lot of obstruction and cross-checks that other players routinely get whistled on.
Murray may not be 6'7" but he has other advantages. He may be the strongest player in the NHL. People don't last long in front of the net when he's out there or do well in the corners against him.

I'd gladly welcome Murray on this team. Haters would love him after a few games.

Jules Winnfield is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 10:30 PM
  #25
Saints11
Registered User
 
Saints11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
I agree bring in Murray and I would also look into Ron Hainsey from Winnipeg. Something like Engelland and a 5th for Murray and Niskanen and Kennedy for Hainsey. Adding size, grit, and a couple of guys who will clear the front of the net. We missed out on Grossman at last years deadline, we should act here. Also, the Flyers are looking for D too.

Saints11 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.