HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

To the Leafs: Z. Michalek, I. Cole, F. Tyutin, M. Vlasic

Old
03-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Larry Hoover

vCash: 500
To the Leafs: Z. Michalek, I. Cole, F. Tyutin, M. Vlasic

The Leafs have a ton of quality D:
Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Kostka, Holzer, Gardiner, Liles, Komisarek, Fraser, Franson...what the Leafs really need is a steady defensieve guy to play with Phaneuf (ideally a RH shot, but there are so few of them). What would it take to get one of these guys?

Phaneuf-______

If you have any other suggestions, go ahead and mention them.

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:56 PM
SoulAssassin

I differ on my opinion regarding Leafs D a lot more then they do but I dont value Gunnar as highly as most, I think Kostka is a career minor leaguer who needs to head back to the Marlies, Komisarek is useless and merely a pressbox filler. Fraser, Holzer, Franson look like a good 3rd pairing plus 7th man; Rielly and Gardiner should be your young studs for next year who need to find steady veteran defenders to play with them.

Again, this view wont be shared by many, the 3rd pairing may even be too weak, but Liles, Phaneuf, Gunnar may garner some assets via trade, which could help position them better in the upcoming draft and for the immediate future.

SoulAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Ian Cole would be great. I'm not an advocate for trading Phaneuf, not with the way he's been playing.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:09 AM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

You can forget about Vlasic.

He and Burns are both untouchable.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Leafidelity
Compete Level

vCash: 1775
Above centremen and goaltending, I think finding Phaneuf a proper d-partner is probably the Leafs biggest need.

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:16 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

We will replace our defense with depth (Gardiner, Finn, Rielly, Ranger) and trade off guys when we are ready: Komi/Liles

Our main focus is obtaining a number one centre but honestly, I'd prefer just trading for centre prospects that get over-looked and drafting our own. Not really wanting the Leafs to make any critical moves unless it is either an absolute steal for us, or it is a move that just makes the most sense and addresses a need without hampering us (JvR for Schenn esque)

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:18 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Yeah, we've already had a 'Vlasic to the Leafs' thread and it didn't end well.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:01 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

You can definitely have Ian, BUT...

We'd need another physical LHD coming back, we'd just trade him in a package for an upgrade

Since Phaneuf is too expensive for us, Gunnar not big and physical enough and you don't want to part with Gardiner I don't see a possible trade here

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:35 AM
Rielly4

is Ian Cole even a reliable defensive d man?

Rielly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:42 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
You can definitely have Ian, BUT...

We'd need another physical LHD coming back, we'd just trade him in a package for an upgrade

Since Phaneuf is too expensive for us, Gunnar not big and physical enough and you don't want to part with Gardiner I don't see a possible trade here
I would think that Kulemin would be the guy going back in any trade between the Blues and Leafs. Just my opinion.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:48 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly4 View Post
Yes.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:52 AM
kihei

vCash: 1617
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulAssassin View Post
I differ on my opinion regarding Leafs D a lot more then they do but I dont value Gunnar as highly as most, I think Kostka is a career minor leaguer who needs to head back to the Marlies, Komisarek is useless and merely a pressbox filler. Fraser, Holzer, Franson look like a good 3rd pairing plus 7th man; Rielly and Gardiner should be your young studs for next year who need to find steady veteran defenders to play with them.

Again, this view wont be shared by many, the 3rd pairing may even be too weak, but Liles, Phaneuf, Gunnar may garner some assets via trade, which could help position them better in the upcoming draft and for the immediate future.
Outside of Liles and Komi, I'm not in a hurry to trade anybody. I rather bring Gardiner up eventually and just let these guys all get more used to one another. Worse comes to worse, we can try Gunnarson with Phaneuf again as they played well together through parts of last year. I also don't see any reason to pull the plug on Kostka who has certainly pulled his weight. I'm not even disappointed in Liles or Komi this season, it's just somebody has to go to make room for Gardiner. If we are going to spend assets, though, I hope it is on a #1 centre.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:53 AM
Halpysback

Should have signed Roszival for peanuts

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:54 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
I think Kostka is a career minor leaguer who needs to head back to the Marlies
Yeah probably not. Check out this handy little graph http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/usage...Update+Results

He starts in the offensive zone only 44% of the time, plays the 3rd toughest level of competition of all TOR's defenders, and still comes away with a positive Corsi. Is he top 4? Eh. Is he a serviceable NHL defenseman? Clearly.

Quote:
Komisarek is useless and merely a pressbox filler.
Nooope. Was our best defensemen early on before being inexplicably benched by Carlyle. Still a perfectly useful bottom pairing guy. His paycheque shouldn't discount his somewhat limited, but present, ability.

Quote:
Fraser, Holzer, Franson look like a good 3rd pairing plus 7th man
Fraser and Holzer I agree with (actually Holzer should be sent back to the minors asap, in my opinion), but Cody "7th defensemen" Franson is tied for 8th in scoring amongst defensemen, tied for 3rd in assists, and leads all defensemen in the NHL in points/60. Small sample size noted, but the kid wasn't a 7th defensemen last year, and he's not a 7th defensemen this year.

Quote:
Rielly and Gardiner should be your young studs for next year who need to find steady veteran defenders to play with them.
Hopefully.

Quote:
So we should trade our 27 year old #1 defensemen when our biggest need is top pairing defensemen?

Seems like a step backwards, if I'm being honest.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:08 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly4 View Post
Yes, he is. He is a rookie and makes mistakes from time to time but his game is pretty good at all.

There were lots of doubters and even haters before the season started and he proved the most if them wrong

Most people feared he would take a lot of bad penalties and he'd be often out of position because of trying to take huge hits but that doesn't happen a lot, especially the latter.

He plays a simple but smart game and will be a stud IMO

Old
03-07-2013, 02:12 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Yes, he is. He is a rookie and makes mistakes from time to time but his game is pretty good at all.

There were lots of doubters and even haters before the season started and he proved the most if them wrong

Most people feared he would take a lot of bad penalties and he'd be often out of position because of trying to take huge hits but that doesn't happen a lot, especially the latter.

He sounds a lot like Matt Finn IMO.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:13 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

The guy this team needs is in NJ his name is Anton Volchenkov.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:14 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I would think that Kulemin would be the guy going back in any trade between the Blues and Leafs. Just my opinion.
I heard this rumors too but than our D on the left side would be with Jackman, Russell and Redden....not going to happen

Old
03-07-2013, 02:17 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:

He has yet to show that he is anywhere close to being a "stud". Now you are just trying to oversell him. He hasn't been bad but he hasn't been great either. Semi-mediocre at best.

Plus Cole plays the left side, not the right.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:24 AM
seanlinden

Quote:

Somebody is highly out of touch with reality.

There is zero appetite for picks / prospects, or trading either of Phaneuf/Gunnarsson, as it's a lateral move at best, and if it's for picks/prospects, backwards. Fraser-Franson has been arguably the most effective 3rd pair in the league this year, so it's really a matter of finding that guy to round out the top 4 going forward with Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, and Gardiner/Rielly.

Liles should be available, as should Komisarek, Kostka, maybe Holzer, and prospects not named Rielly, along with forwards.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:31 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
He has yet to show that he is anywhere close to being a "stud". Now you are just trying to oversell him. He hasn't been bad but he hasn't been great either. Semi-mediocre at best.
Where or when did I say he IS a stud or he plays "great"?

I don't wanna oversell him, in fact I don't want to sell him at all, I just like him

Old
03-07-2013, 02:33 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Somebody is highly out of touch with reality.

There is zero appetite for picks / prospects, or trading either of Phaneuf/Gunnarsson, as it's a lateral move at best, and if it's for picks/prospects, backwards. Fraser-Franson has been arguably the most effective 3rd pair in the league this year, so it's really a matter of finding that guy to round out the top 4 going forward with Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, and Gardiner/Rielly.

Liles should be available, as should Komisarek, Kostka, maybe Holzer, and prospects not named Rielly, along with forwards.
If he could be packaged for a Chris Stewart type I'd move Gunnar

Old
03-07-2013, 02:36 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
If he could be packaged for a Chris Stewart type I'd move Gunnar

Like the Leafs need another winger, their strongest position, at the cost of a bonafide top 4 defenceman, one of their weakest.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:46 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post

Like the Leafs need another winger, their strongest position, at the cost of a bonafide top 4 defenceman, one of their weakest.
They will need a winger once Mac Leaves or Kuli.

One of them is gone before next season

Old
03-07-2013, 02:58 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
They will need a winger once Mac Leaves or Kuli.

One of them is gone before next season
No, they won't.

Under contract for next year, the Leafs have Kessel, Van Riemsdyk, Lupul, Frattin & Kulemin. Leo Komarov & Frazer McLaren are RFAs, so let's assume they get signed.

That leaves one vacancy, assuming you would return Jay McClement to being the 4th line C instead of getting somebody else to fill that role and using him as a shutdown line winger. Even if you're doing that, Chris Stewart isn't a shutdown line winger, and neither is anybody else in that lineup outside of Kulemin.

What the Leafs will need for next year (on the wing), is a replacement for Matt Frattin. Somebody who can star at the AHL level, is ideally on a 2-way waiver exempt contract, and can be called up in case of injury.