HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Hammer placed on waivers, claimed by NYR

Old
03-08-2013, 07:01 PM
g00n
Fire GMGM & Oates

vCash: 500
So you're saying the Caps broke the 1-3-1 and TB adjusted by going to a 2-1-2 (that you can call whatever you want since it's still a transition defense) but then you post a video of the Caps supposedly breaking the 1-3-1 in Game 4 of the series? This makes no sense. If the trap wasn't working, why would they still be doing it in Game 4?

Maybe your idea of beating the trap is different than mine.
My idea is not just doing a reasonable job of getting through the neutral zone, it's showing a clear strategy and executing it so that you can set up your offense. Any neutral zone strategy, whatever the name, is designed to prevent or hamper this in some way. Tampa clearly achieved that for most of that series, forcing wild, unsupported dumps or turnovers before entering the zone.

The 3 wide would sometimes back down to the blueline CONCEDING some of the neutral zone (which is probably why you think the Caps broke it), but they also either stood-up anyone trying to carry the puck into the zone or forced unsupported dumps. When the Caps went wide and dumped, they didn't have weakside support hitting the line hard at the same time, so the TB defenders and Roloson had the advantage on dumps, too. There was no flow, and it was difficult to enter the offensive zone with possession and set up the offense.

Boston then easily dismantled the trap in the next round through a combination of spacing, support, and hitting gaps created by drawing defenders. It was a CLINIC.

Of course, none of this bickering and nitpicking means anything because you already said you agreed with the original premise, which was that BB was outcoached in the playoffs. Not sure why you persist in arguing this point.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Please take it to PM, lovebirds.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:25 PM
boxcar
we want MOORE

Hi Caps fans. NYR fan here..I come in peace (also support the caps, I live in DC). I sat next to Tim Hunters wife today & we were talking about Hammer being waived. She said that the team was not happy about his fitness level & the fact that he did nothing during the lockout to stay in shape. Torts called him out after his first game in NY saying that he is out of shape as well. Maybe that's the reason he was expendable in DC?

boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:02 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Hi Caps fans. NYR fan here..I come in peace (also support the caps, I live in DC). I sat next to Tim Hunters wife today & we were talking about Hammer being waived. She said that the team was not happy about his fitness level & the fact that he did nothing during the lockout to stay in shape. Torts called him out after his first game in NY saying that he is out of shape as well. Maybe that's the reason he was expendable in DC?
He is not the first player to leave our team and be called out of shape.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:34 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
I am surprised no one just came out and said the reason why he was scratched was that he was 38.

You can bag skate an old mule but its not going to get any faster, or plow any longer. And maybe have the opposite effect.

Sad thing was he probably was in as good a shape as he can be. Torts and others are using code speak for "you are old but I cant say it out loud". It happens every year a guy close to retiring but thinks they can still help out for one more year. If you got paid 3M you would try too.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:44 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

IDK........my guess is a lot of players were not at the fitness level they should be after the lockout. Hamrlik spent his time in Montreal skating with other Habs about four times a week. He played in a series of charity games before that. His last Caps' game before his demotion - quite frankly I thought he looked pretty good. He had a gaffe at the end of the game after it was already a foregone conclusion.

I think the organization treated this particular asset pretty lousy. He's definitely out of "game" shape now. But for an old guy just being picked off of waivers and not playing in a month he turned in a pretty solid 15 minutes plus for the NYR and gave their depleted D a bit of a break.

No matter what the shape, yea he won't get faster but the general consensus was that he can still help a team, especially a young D - except of course Washington where his playoff numbers were pretty darn good for some old guy.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:12 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I am surprised no one just came out and said the reason why he was scratched was that he was 38.

You can bag skate an old mule but its not going to get any faster, or plow any longer. And maybe have the opposite effect.

Sad thing was he probably was in as good a shape as he can be. Torts and others are using code speak for "you are old but I cant say it out loud". It happens every year a guy close to retiring but thinks they can still help out for one more year. If you got paid 3M you would try too.
just from memory off the top of my head. jf fortin was called out for bad nutrition and being out of shape. eric fehr was called out for being out of shape. ov has been called out for being fat and out of shape. backstrom has been called out for being swedish meatball out of shape. so....because hamrlik was overweight and out of shape it really means that he is old? as i recall the quiet talk of knuble last season was that he had lost a step that he needed and was aging out. no mention of knuble being out of shape. he was just getting too old.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:14 AM
g00n
Fire GMGM & Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
just from memory off the top of my head. jf fortin was called out for bad nutrition and being out of shape. eric fehr was called out for being out of shape. ov has been called out for being fat and out of shape. backstrom has been called out for being swedish meatball out of shape. so....because hamrlik was overweight and out of shape it really means that he is old? as i recall the quiet talk of knuble last season was that he had lost a step that he needed and was aging out. no mention of knuble being out of shape. he was just getting too old.
There were others, too. I'm thinking Varly was also criticized by Colorado, and maybe another that went out west. Can't remember exactly. Also Steckel when he was first shipped out?

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:19 AM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Also Steckel when he was first shipped out?
Yes when he was traded to New Jersey.

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:58 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

So what I'm gathering is that not only do the Caps strength and conditioning coaches make people's groins explode, they also make people fat and lazy?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
So what I'm gathering is that not only do the Caps strength and conditioning coaches make people's groins explode, they also make people fat and lazy?
Exploding groins generally make it asymmetrically harder for people to stay in shape.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:50 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
That was the quiet talk. The not so quiet talk was Knuble was washed up. Getting old. You know coaches and GM's will not be that direct.

How many other times in Hammer's career has he been reported to be out of shape? Reports of him working out this off season seem to be to the contrary. Your list of out of shape Greenhorns has no bearing on Hammer's situation.

We have seen these time and time again. The guy that probably needs to retire, doesn't want to. Anything said publicly, quietly omits the facts. Players not only lose a step, they lose stamina because it takes more work to do the things they did effortlessly as greenhorns. Its takes longer to get in shape, because you are old! Its all the same thing.

Its called aging. Getting old sucks we all know it and thus there is no need to defend it.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote