HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What would you offer for Mike Ribeiro?

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon
Of course, you already have Joe Thornton for that. Great player no doubt, but his hair trigger will be his ultimate downfall.

disgrace ala Ribs...Ha !

downfall ?..perhaps....I have often questioned his ability to be a Captain. I don't think he should.

But to compare him and his temper to the folly that is Ribeiro is laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Here come the Ribeiro fake/injury post, people really, I mean really need to get over that, nobody knows for certain that he was faking, i've said this how many times but I had an injury playing ball to my shoulder, it killed for like 3 minutes, I thought my arm was falling off, 5 minutes later I was fine, what he did do that was disgraceful was mouthing off at the Bruins bench, that was uncalled for, but I think Bruins fans just hold on to this to mask the fact that they were bounced by the Habs from the playoffs....again...

Also for the record..and search the Habs Board for clarity...I was the first to congratulate that group. The Habs won fair and square ( Ribs aside)..Thornton 's injury meant little as the results are the results and it would have been nothing but an excuse.

But there are many on that habs Board , old timers like myself, that believe that the uniform was tarnished that day by young Mr. Ribeiro..it has nothing to do with being a Bruins fan ..it has to do with being a hockey fan..if it was a Bruins player , I'd still say disgrace and would want him run out of town...but that's me..

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
03-30-2005, 01:20 PM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
Goes both ways, thanks.
Talking about 2 different things...

Ribiero's lack of size

Thornton's maturity/temper

Thanks.

Old
03-30-2005, 01:26 PM
PECAhead

Alexei Yashin. Which is like a barbie doll.

Old
03-30-2005, 01:26 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I agree with Darth here... I don't think any team is going to give up too much for him, considering that he's only done it for one season so far, and there are concerns you can't ignore with him (both physical and mental!).

But to get an idea of trade value - compare him to another small skilled player, who also had question marks about attitude... Marc Savard.

He was 25 when dealt. He had already put up 2 seasons of over 20 goals, and had scored 14 goals in 56 games the year before he was dealt. There is no question he was talented, but the question marks where there with his 2-way play, and his attitude - being called lazy too often for example.

He was dealt for a mid-level prospect.

I think, everything considered, you can probably expect similar return for Ribeiro at this point... he's not a player that anyone wants to add for a playoff run - he brings offense, and that's about it... except even that he's only really proven to do over 1 season.

Best bet for Montreal is holding on to him, giving him loads of opportunities on the top units and PP, and let him establish himself as an offensive weapon - not just a one dimensional offensively gifted player, who has concerns about his physical endurance and his attitude.

Small players that are one-dimensional don't get a lot of value on the market. Briere is another example - a guy who scored 32 goals in Phoenix was let go.

Ribeiro is still young and still has potential, but as of right now, a 20 goal season isn't enough to separate him from the other smallish 1-dimensional players, who have scored 20+ goals, but still have been given up or traded cheap in the past... Ribeiro is at the same stage where many of these guys where and had been dealt for next to nothing.

Old
03-30-2005, 01:28 PM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
Goes both ways, thanks.
I was saying that Thornton does have a hair trigger temper, but in time maturity may solve that problem.

My beef with Ribiero is he's too frail to take the pounding of standard NHL play. It's the weightroom and not stopping dinner after 1/4 of the meal is gone that will solve Ribiero's problem, not maturing.

Thanks again.

Old
03-30-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Thornton has some personal maturing to do. But, he has all the physical attributes to be a star, and has already show the ability to put up major points in the NHL. Ribero, on the other hand, is still relatively unproven as a player (with only one good season to his credit, and a lot of question marks regarding size and strength). It is not the same at all.
Nobody was comparing both players...so yes, it's the same, both have maturity issues, for all his talent and physical gifts, I find Thornton to be a big baby, (although his performance at the World Cup impressed me alot) he's easily taken off his game, he sometimes thinks too much about handling personal vendettas instead of focusing that energy back onto his game, and his antics in the swiss league lead me to believe nothing has changed

Old
03-30-2005, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
disgrace ala Ribs...Ha !

downfall ?..perhaps....I have often questioned his ability to be a Captain. I don't think he should.

But to compare him and his temper to the folly that is Ribeiro is laughable.

Also for the record..and search the Habs Board for clarity...I was the first to congratulate that group. The Habs won fair and square ( Ribs aside)..Thornton 's injury meant little as the results are the results and it would have been nothing but an excuse.

But there are many on that habs Board , old timers like myself, that believe that the uniform was tarnished that day by young Mr. Ribeiro..it has nothing to do with being a Bruins fan ..it has to do with being a hockey fan..if it was a Bruins player , I'd still say disgrace and would want him run out of town...but that's me..
Fair enough, I shoudn't of painted all of you with the same brush...my bad

But like I said, what is it that Ribeiro has done that has tarnsished the Habs uniform, it wasn't the fake/real injury, cause no one but Ribeiro knows whether or not he was faking, having had one of those types of injuries myself, i'd like to think that he wasn't faking...was it the fact that he taunted the Bruins bench after he got up? I agree that it was classeless, but I don't think it tarnished the Habs uniform, taunting the opposing team is something that happens every game, if doing that tarnishes your teams name, then the Leafs uniform was tarnished long ago with the stuff that Domi and Tucker pull on almost a nightly basis, how many over imbelished injuries have I seen Tucker pull, face writhing in pain only to be fine moments later...

Darcy Tucker's been responsible for the worst acting in the NHL, he'd put Rivaldo from Brazil soccer team to shame

Old
03-30-2005, 01:43 PM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Quote:
Fair enough, I shoudn't of painted all of you with the same brush...my bad

But like I said, what is it that Ribeiro has done that has tarnsished the Habs uniform, it wasn't the fake/real injury, cause no one but Ribeiro knows whether or not he was faking, having had one of those types of injuries myself, i'd like to think that he wasn't faking...was it the fact that he taunted the Bruins bench after he got up? I agree that it was classeless, but I don't think it tarnished the Habs uniform, taunting the opposing team is something that happens every game, if doing that tarnishes your teams name, then the Leafs uniform was tarnished long ago with the stuff that Domi and Tucker pull on almost a nightly basis, how many over imbelished injuries have I seen Tucker pull, face writhing in pain only to be fine moments later...
I, in no way, think Ribiero has tarnished the Habs uniform. I think he just tarnished his own reputation, and his rep around the league. It's very possible he had a pinched nerve or something that affected his movement for a few moments. But to taunt Lapointe and the Bruins bench afterwards was classless.

I agree with the Domi and Tucker comparisons on taunting, cause they both do. However I do disagree with the imbelishing injuries on Tucker's part. He plays a physical style of game. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Tucker takes just as much punishment as he dishes out. Also Tucker's not much bigger than Ribiero, and I dare say if Ribiero took the punishment that Tucker does, he would no longer be playing in the NHL.

Old
03-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Thornton97

Anybody who has had an injury like that and then immediately taunts the opposing players' bench after getting up has obviously never had an injury like that. See my point? And as Wally says, it goes beyond the sweater. I don't care who it is, but stuff like that isn't done in any sport, any time, ever.

Old
03-30-2005, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyByngJeanRatelle
I, in no way, think Ribiero has tarnished the Habs uniform. I think he just tarnished his own reputation, and his rep around the league. It's very possible he had a pinched nerve or something that affected his movement for a few moments. But to taunt Lapointe and the Bruins bench afterwards was classless.

I agree with the Domi and Tucker comparisons on taunting, cause they both do. However I do disagree with the imbelishing injuries on Tucker's part. He plays a physical style of game. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Tucker takes just as much punishment as he dishes out. Also Tucker's not much bigger than Ribiero, and I dare say if Ribiero took the punishment that Tucker does, he would no longer be playing in the NHL.
Funny you mention Lapointe, over the last 2 playoffs series vs. the Habs, he's been responsible for taunting the habs bench a few times...

Don't get me wrong, I think Tucker is a tough S.O.B., i'd love to have him on my team any day of the week, I don't doubt that he takes alot of punishment, but he does overreact alot on the ice...

Tucker to me is one of the toughest players in the game today

Old
03-30-2005, 01:51 PM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornton97
I don't care who it is, but stuff like that isn't done in any sport, any time, ever.
My advice to you is don't watch soccer.

Old
03-30-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornton97
Anybody who has had an injury like that and then immediately taunts the opposing players' bench after getting up has obviously never had an injury like that. See my point? And as Wally says, it goes beyond the sweater. I don't care who it is, but stuff like that isn't done in any sport, any time, ever.
I'm not sure if I get what your saying?your 1st line has left me confused, I don't know if you did that by design or was it a mistake...

and stuff like that happens in the game all the time, i'm not sure if you've ever seen a game live, but if you sit close to the bench, you hear all kinds of stuff

Old
03-30-2005, 01:53 PM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Quote:
Funny you mention Lapointe, over the last 2 playoffs series vs. the Habs, he's been responsible for taunting the habs bench a few times...

Don't get me wrong, I think Tucker is a tough S.O.B., i'd love to have him on my team any day of the week, I don't doubt that he takes alot of punishment, but he does overreact alot on the ice...

Tucker to me is one of the toughest players in the game today
Just curious....how and why did Montreal get rid of Tucker?

He went to Tampa after Montreal right?

Was it a trade?

Old
03-30-2005, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Was it a trade?

2 words...

Reggie Houle

don't remember exactly how it went down, but I know Patrick Poulin came back the other way along with Igor Ulanov....please, don't make me relive those times, i'm also getting flashbacks of Turgeon and company for Shayne Corson and Murray Baron

Old
03-30-2005, 01:57 PM
Habsaku

Quote:

Was it a trade?
You shouldnt question Réjean Houle's motives, hes what people call an "idiot".

Old
03-30-2005, 01:58 PM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Quote:

2 words...

Reggie Houle

don't remember exactly how it went down, but I know Patrick Poulin came back the other way along with Igor Ulanov....please, don't make me relive those times, i'm also getting flashbacks of Turgeon and company for Shayne Corson and Murray Baron
Were Corson and Tucker on the Habs at the same time?? I didn't know that.

Were they as entertaining as they were on the Leafs?

Old
03-30-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
You shouldnt question Réjean Houle's motives, hes what people call an "idiot".
i don't know about idiot... but unprepared and underqualified sound about right, really it wasn't his fault, it was no different that if the Habs management asked me or you to run the team, as much as we think we know about hockey, mistakes, probably big ones would be made...the only difference was that Houle was an ex-hab, but really, they might as well have picked up any armchair GM in the stands

Old
03-30-2005, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Were Corson and Tucker on the Habs at the same time?? I didn't know that.

Were they as entertaining as they were on the Leafs?
No they weren't i'm talking about 2 seperate deals that went down, I think the Tucker deal was

Darcy Tucker + Stephane Richer and maybe a pick

for

Igor Ulanov, Patrick Poulin and Mick Vukota

I'm not positive though, rather not relive that era

Old
03-30-2005, 02:11 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Nobody was comparing both players...so yes, it's the same, both have maturity issues, for all his talent and physical gifts, I find Thornton to be a big baby, (although his performance at the World Cup impressed me alot) he's easily taken off his game, he sometimes thinks too much about handling personal vendettas instead of focusing that energy back onto his game, and his antics in the swiss league lead me to believe nothing has changed
Wow, I have seen it all, a fan calls Thornton a baby when he supports a guy who cried like he just got shot and found out his mother just died all in an attempt to draw a penalty. Give me a break, if you think Thornton is a big baby, what do you classify Riberio as?

As for his trade value, it obvious he doesn't need any acting lessons so I don't know what I'd give you.

All kidding aside, right now I don't think his trade value is all that high, especically after his little acting job. He's pretty much considered the laughing stock of the NHL right now. You can bet when the NHL starts up again every player in the league will say something to him. Honestly this guy could get his leg cut off now by another player and the ref would think twice about calling a penalty for it. It's like that whole little boy who cried wolf story.

But if Riberio comes back and has another decent offensive year, I think a late 1st round pick could be had.

Old
03-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Stan

Well I'm a habs fan and I have never really liked Ribeiro...but my dislike spawned into a real hatred after his best attempt at becoming a Baldwin. I'm slowly getting over it, but I would love to replace him. Having said that, to say he is a bigger tool than the rest of the players is stupid at this point....at least he wants to play and if it was up to him we'd have hockey. I don't like him, but that's gotta count for something.

Also, we're not going to get anything back of equal value...it doesn't make sense to trade him...unfortunately.

Old
03-30-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF
Wow, I have seen it all, a fan calls Thornton a baby when he supports a guy who cried like he just got shot and found out his mother just died all in an attempt to draw a penalty. Give me a break, if you think Thornton is a big baby, what do you classify Riberio as?

As for his trade value, it obvious he doesn't need any acting lessons so I don't know what I'd give you.

All kidding aside, right now I don't think his trade value is all that high, especically after his little acting job. He's pretty much considered the laughing stock of the NHL right now. You can bet when the NHL starts up again every player in the league will say something to him. Honestly this guy could get his leg cut off now by another player and the ref would think twice about calling a penalty for it. It's like that whole little boy who cried wolf story.

But if Riberio comes back and has another decent offensive year, I think a late 1st round pick could be had.
So because I support Ribeiro that means that I can't call Thornton a baby, any Bruins fan who isin't a homer will tell you that Thornton is easy to knock off his game, Koivu did it, Begin did it, Markov did it...he gets hit in a way he doesn't like and he spends the rest of the game trying to deck that player, he then usually takes a dumb penalty that cost his team....

Again, it's your opinion that he faked the injury, I hope for your sake that you never get a pinched nerve in your shoulder, you'll think it's falling off one second then you'll be fine 5 minutes later....

As for his reputation in the league, please, the only people who talk about that incident are people on this board, I didin't see any Tampa Bay players going out of their way to make him pay after they got past the Bruins, and considering everything that has gone on since last years playoffs (lockout) I doubt that some players have Ribeiro's pictures at home on a dart board...

It's everyone here that needs to get over that

Edit-BTW...I like nor dislike Ribeiro...I think he's got alot of talent though, but I don't think his value is high enough that you'd get a good return for him, trading him at this point doesn't make sense, he's cheap, he was productive last year, Habs will ge shortchanged in whatver deal they get for him

Last edited by 417: 03-30-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old
03-30-2005, 02:41 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
As for his reputation in the league, please, the only people who talk about that incident are people on this board, I didin't see any Tampa Bay players going out of their way to make him pay after they got past the Bruins, and considering everything that has gone on since last years playoffs (lockout) I doubt that some players have Ribeiro's pictures at home on a dart board...
Ok, the next time RIbeiro gets hit and takes a while to get back up again, I can guarantee you he'll here if from the opposition. If you've ever played hockey before you'd realize hockey is just as much about trash talking as it is about shooting and passing, it's part of the game. Ribeiro has given everyone something to say to him for the rest of his career. NHL refs don't forget either, Riberio is now labeded as a faker/diver they'll think twice about calling something even if it was a legimate penalty.

By the way notice how it's only you saying he didn't fake it.

Old
03-30-2005, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF
Ok, the next time RIbeiro gets hit and takes a while to get back up again, I can guarantee you he'll here if from the opposition. If you've ever played hockey before you'd realize hockey is just as much about trash talking as it is about shooting and passing, it's part of the game. Ribeiro has given everyone something to say to him for the rest of his career. NHL refs don't forget either, Riberio is now labeded as a faker/diver they'll think twice about calling something even if it was a legimate penalty.

By the way notice how it's only you saying he didn't fake it.
I bet you that everytime any player gets hit and takes a while to get back up, they here it from the opposition, like you said, it's trash talking...so much for that

NHL refs didin't seem to make a big deal when the Habs played the Lightning? They weren't being unfair in the second round with Ribeiro... so that argument goes out the window as well

By the way, notice how I don't care if anyone else doesn't agree with me, BTW, I never said he didin't fake his injury, I said that i'll give him the benefit of the doubt having suffered the same type of injury myself...so much for that point as well

Makes you wonder why you responded at all, everything you wrote holds no weight, you seem to think that players and refs have this festering hatred for Ribeiro and just can't wait until the NHL resumes to exact their revenge, even though they had opportunity to do so last year...Please

anyways, this is dumb, just drop it, has nothing to do with the thread

Old
03-30-2005, 02:58 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

it makes no difference what the rest of the league thinks of him right now... he hasn't proven anything more than Savard had when he was dealt, and in fact I'd argue he's proven a lot less - and I don't see how his value is any higher than what Savard was able to get back - a mid level prospect worth less than a top 2 round pick.

Old
03-30-2005, 03:01 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I don't know about Datsyuk, but I really don't think Ribiero has huge trade value right now. He did have a very nice season, but he is still a smallish player who never put up good numbers before. Let's keep this in perspective - he has managed one 20 goal season in his career and weighs less than 180 pounds. And, of course, there is the fallout from the incident with the Bruins.

If he can put up another 60 point season, and maybe bulk up a little bit, I think he'll have solid market value. But, right now, I don't think it would be worth it for the Habs to consider moving him
Exactly , you beat me to it.

Closed Thread