HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I think the next 3 games will determine if we're in the playoffs or not.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Bishop1310

vCash: 500
I think the next 3 games will determine if we're in the playoffs or not.

I'm sure everyone else is aware that Tue we play the Jets then we play the Pens Thur and the Jets again Sat. I think this is our chance to bury the jets and guarantee us a top 8 finish. It would be nice to win the game against the Pens on Thursday but I would be fine with a loss that night and a Win on Tue and Sat vs the Jets.

If we lose both games against the jets then I could see us falling out of the playoff hunt. I don't see the Islanders making a push and philly has a lot of problems.

I realize anything can happen, but does anyone else share the same feelings that these next 3 games make or break the season for the leafs?

Bishop1310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
I think the next 22 games will say a lot about whether the Leafs make the playoffs or not.

Cap'n Flavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:05 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

I'd argue the first 5 games of April will show us whether we can play clutch and all our guys are ready for the home stretch or if we are just all riding on lucky bounces. Still beleafin'

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:28 AM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

Still a ways way to go, but these three games in the win column would be HUGE.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:35 AM
Quarter
The caravan moves on

Definitely three big games coming up. But then again, with no inter-conference play, there are another 19 big games to play after these three as well.

Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:41 AM
416Leafer

Its not just about how many wins you get, but who youre beating.

The Jets are the type of team we NEED to beat. If we go 0-2 against them (ignoring all other factors, such as what happens in the Pens game or their other games), then all of a sudden we're only 1 pt ahead and they have a game in hand.

But if we go 2-0 against them? Then we have a 9 point lead. Huge difference. When its a team that youre directly competing against for a playoff spot, each game is arguably a 4 point game, because thats the difference between them winning and you winning in terms of relative points in the standings.

Theres big opportunity here to put a ton of room between us and the Jets. Hopefully the team can capitalize on that.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:15 AM
LeafsJaysRaptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter View Post
Definitely three big games coming up. But then again, with no inter-conference play, there are another 19 big games to play after these three as well.
Agreed.. we have to look at every single game from now until the end of the year as vital if we're planning on making the playoffs.

LeafsJaysRaptors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Dunni

Beating the Jets both times would be huge, I agree. But there is plenty of hockey left to be played.

Dunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelbackMontage View Post
Beating the Jets both times would be huge, I agree. But there is plenty of hockey left to be played.
My guess is that we split against the Jets and lose again to the Pens.

Anything better than this would be great!

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:00 AM
MakeTheIronSing

Getting 4 or even 5 points is pretty big. Certainly not the end of the season if not.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:02 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Its not just about how many wins you get, but who youre beating.

The Jets are the type of team we NEED to beat. If we go 0-2 against them (ignoring all other factors, such as what happens in the Pens game or their other games), then all of a sudden we're only 1 pt ahead and they have a game in hand.

But if we go 2-0 against them? Then we have a 9 point lead. Huge difference. When its a team that youre directly competing against for a playoff spot, each game is arguably a 4 point game, because thats the difference between them winning and you winning in terms of relative points in the standings.

Theres big opportunity here to put a ton of room between us and the Jets. Hopefully the team can capitalize on that.
At the end of the day, when it comes to getting into the playoffs -- you need to be a division winner or one of the 5 top point-getting non-division-winning teams in your conference . How those points are obtained doesn't matter, as long as you have them. Yes, some games may have slightly more impact on the standings than others, but I really don't see how you can say the next 3 games will in anyway determine if the Leafs are in the playoffs.

It just seems that some fans are on a constant quest to declare every game "a big game". I don't get it.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:03 AM
I Believe

The Jets games are huge. Pittsburgh not so much.

Winning those Jets games would be absolutely massive for us.

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:05 AM
SprDaVE

Isn't this a weekly thread now?

But yeah, the next X amount of games will determine our fate.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Kingstonian84*

I wouldn't say this makes or breaks us, but it is a pivotal week for the leafs. We need to get at least 4 out of 6 of these points for it to be considered a "successful" week, the jets really don't scare me but still the leafs will need to bring a full 60 minute workout, the Pens I think we can say is a write off they are too much for us. If we can beat the Jets x2 and lose to the Pens, it's a-ok in my books.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:38 AM
LeafShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
I wouldn't say this makes or breaks us, but it is a pivotal week for the leafs. We need to get at least 4 out of 6 of these points for it to be considered a "successful" week, the jets really don't scare me but still the leafs will need to bring a full 60 minute workout, the Pens I think we can say is a write off they are too much for us. If we can beat the Jets x2 and lose to the Pens, it's a-ok in my books.
please... we just took the pens to a shootout despite a bad game from Reims... we match up well against the Pens. The teams that the Leafs don't match up against are teams that play an effective physical defense... like Boston, and Boston is by far the best team in the Division IMO. 4 points out of 6 should be the minimum, although 6 points would really help the cause. We only need 24 points in 22 games to secure a playoff spot, and we've played 2 more road games than home games. Obviously beating the 'peg is a much higher priority than beating the pens. They're like playoff games.

Just need to keep winning weeks. The last week the Leafs lost more games than they won was back in January.

LeafShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Hero
Uncle Leo

Burying the jets with a 2-0 would be huge, but Flyers and Isles are still trying to push in.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote