HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Changes I want to see the NHL make

Old
03-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Lenny the Lynx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
Agreed.

They lose a player on the ice but are able to ice the puck without any consequences. Not much of a penalty if you ask me.
I'm kind of surprised that so many of you support no icing on the penalty kill.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
Quote:
Agreed.

They lose a player on the ice but are able to ice the puck without any consequences. Not much of a penalty if you ask me.
Wait you guys are SERIOUS?

Are you telling me you don't see the advantage of being able to much more easily setup in the offensive zone being considerable enough to allow the penalized team to ice the puck?!

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Sensin5

Third referee in the sky with access to review. Referees have quick press availability post game.

Sensin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:11 PM
lafite

Some of what I'd like to see changed (back) probably are not popular.

Get rid of the shootout. The logic here is that if a penalty shot is exciting, then a whole bunch of penalty shots will make the game more exciting. Fact is, the penalty shot used to be so exciting because you only saw it a few times each year. The shoot out belongs in tournaments where a tiebreaker is needed, and the ice is also needed for the next game, not for NHL hockey. All these 3 point games are not a good thing. I could do without regular season OT as well. If a tie works for the rest of the world in soccer, and used to work quite nicely in hockey, save OT for the playoffs when the novelty of it used to be really exciting.

I know these changes won't happen, but the one thing I would really like to see is this: Decide what the damn rules are, how they will be enforced, and stick with it. They have to keep fiddling with things, the refs are trying to figure out this week's email instructions and it leads to some ludicrous calls. Now they have this thing with chipping the puck past the defenceman, and he has only a fraction of a second to make contact or it is interference. Meanwhile, guys without the puck are getting routinely clocked and nothing called. Maybe it would be better to go back to one ref, and deputize the linesmen to call really obvious stuff behind the play. At least it would be more consistent.

I could see the change to hits targeting the head because so many guys were getting hurt, but all the rinky dink fiddling with the rules is just stupid.

lafite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Do Make Say Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensin5 View Post
Third referee in the sky with access to review. Referees have quick press availability post game.
Sure to the first, absolute no-no on the second

Refs shouldn't have to answer anything publicly: that's a can of worms no one involved in the business of the NHL should want.

"so ref why didn't you call this? what about that one there? And why the hell did you call this?! You suck ref!"

We get enough of that on HF, no need for more it!

Old
03-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Sensin5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Sure to the first, absolute no-no on the second

Refs shouldn't have to answer anything publicly: that's a can of worms no one involved in the business of the NHL should want.

"so ref why didn't you call this? what about that one there? And why the hell did you call this?! You suck ref!"

We get enough of that on HF, no need for more it!
Well, if the first were properly implemented we would likely not need the second.

Sensin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:55 PM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

vCash: 177
I'd like to see the NHL give Ottawa a 2 goal lead to start every game for the rest of the season.

2CHAINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Do Make Say Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensin5 View Post
Well, if the first were properly implemented we would likely not need the second.
It depends on what you mean by "properly implemented"

If you think it means the refs "in the sky" won't make mistakes then I'd say you are mistaken

Old
03-06-2013, 03:16 PM
BringBackChara

Remove goalies from the game.

Players can no longer block shots on goal.

If a player does block a shot on goal the other team is awarded a free penalty shot

Once a team carries the puck into the attacking zone, they'll have a limited amount of time to shoot the puck.

BringBackChara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:27 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Agreed.

The amount of goals scored on PPs strongly disagrees with you.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
The amount of goals scored on PPs strongly disagrees with you.
PP goals don't have opinions. And what's wrong with more PP goals exactly? Isn't that what people want? More goals? That's one change that could help with that.

Edit: And the top PP% right now is 29.7%, which is just under 3 goals every 10 Powerplay. Not exactly alot of goals scored on the PP.

Last edited by Emerica: 03-06-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Emerica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Do Make Say Think

Quote:
PP goals don't have opinions. And what's wrong with more PP goals exactly? Isn't that what people want? More goals? That's one change that could help with that.
Simply giving people what they want isn't a good way to run a sports league

Especially when most people consider a 3-2 game a low scoring affair (from what I heard recently 5 goals a game is the average in the NHL right now); meaning they have no clue what they are talking about.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Simply giving people what they want isn't a good way to run a sports league

Especially when most people consider a 3-2 game a low scoring affair (from what I heard recently 5 goals a game is the average in the NHL right now); meaning they have no clue what they are talking about.
I guess but ''the people'' are the ones who keep this league alive. The happier they are, the better.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:46 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:

Edit: And the top PP% right now is 29.7%, which is just under 3 goals every 10 Powerplay. Not exactly alot of goals scored on the PP.
I dunno, I think a 20-30% chance of a goal for someone shoving a guy after a whistle 200 feet from his net isnt a bad deal. Thats just me though.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
I dunno, I think a 20-30% chance of a goal for someone shoving a guy after a whistle 200 feet from his net isnt a bad deal. Thats just me though.
Depends on the person I guess because I don't think 20-30% chance of getting a goal against is a very big consequence for taking a penalty.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:38 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Depends on the person I guess because I don't think 20-30% chance of getting a goal against is a very big consequence for taking a penalty.
So when a player has a puck hit his skates before the guy he is coming on to replace completely steps off the ice, the team should have what....a 50% chance of scoring?

What if its OT in game 7. Thats worth a 50% chance of losing the Stanley Cup?

Old
03-06-2013, 04:47 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Coincidental minor penalties should result in 4 on 4 and 3 on 3.
More exciting play will occour.

03-06-2013, 04:50 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Reduce the number of "judgement" penalties.
Enact new penalties that are straight forwared to call.
Have video review available to the referees so THEY can call the game (like the NFL)
Allow coaches one "please review that play" per game.

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
So when a player has a puck hit his skates before the guy he is coming on to replace completely steps off the ice, the team should have what....a 50% chance of scoring?

What if its OT in game 7. Thats worth a 50% chance of losing the Stanley Cup?
Yup.

Don't want the other team to have 50% chance of scoring? Don't take penalties. Maybe players are going to think twice now before taking useless penalties like roughing after the whistle or running the goalie, etc.

Obviously, the refs' judgment and interpretation is a huge part of this but don't leave the decision to the refs.

Anyways, you have your opinion, I have mine. I don't think 20-30% chance of getting a goal against is a big enough consequence. All of this because I said I wanted the icing to be icing wether it's a penalty kill or not. Who says it's going to increase the PP% anyway? PKillers can adapt and move up to the redline before dumping it.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:23 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Penalties used to last the whole time period, it was only when the power house Montreal team after WWII that the rule was changed.
Let's go back to the old rule. A penalty is a penalty, no matter how many goals scored.

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Do Make Say Think

Quote:
I guess but ''the people'' are the ones who keep this league alive. The happier they are, the better.
"The people" are not the ones playing the game however(and contrary to the romantic notion that "it's our money" there is more than one economic actor behind the wealth of the NHL)

I will defer to people who play the game when it comes to changes to how the game is played

Old
03-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Stylizer1

vCash: 50
If a player gets suspended the team loses that roster spot for the entirety of the suspension. Can't call up a player to take his spot. That would penalize the team and the player sitting out would be sad.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:09 AM
tony d
The man

- Do a simple realignment of moving Nashville to the Southeast and Winnipeg to the Central Division
- No more points for an overtime loss and just 1 for a shootout loss
- Correct the Phoenix situation

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is online now   Reply With Quote