HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumors and Proposals Vol. 6 "Posters who should be GM"

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
it's probably not going to happen

Old
03-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I have been wanting Kulemin on the Oilers for years now.
Really under rated player imo, and he would fit in well with the forward group here. Is he on the block?
A deal involving Kulemin and Hemsky would really interest me. Kulemin plays a solid two-way game but has enough skill to play with top players. Once Lupul is back the Leafs have Lupul, JVR, MacAurthur and Kulemin on the LHS. On the RHS they have Kessel and Frattin.

Kulemin is the right age to fit in with the teams rebuild as well. They would probably prefer to move MacArthur though.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:12 AM
doulos

I can't imagine any good player actually wanting to come to this circus right now.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

No, KLowe doesn't like Perry. He wouldn't even trade Comrie for Perry plus a 1st.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
No, KLowe doesn't like Perry. He wouldn't even trade Comrie for Perry plus a 1st.
You never let anything go, wow.

Clearly Lowe isn't a fan of Perry, I mean it's not like Perry's been part of any Hockey Canada stuff or anything, yeegads you.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:38 AM
frag2

Not sure if this was ever brought up but if the Oilers end up with a Top 10 pick in the first round by draft time, I think it would be a good idea to push the pick + Hemsky for a top 3 pick.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:50 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Not sure if this was ever brought up but if the Oilers end up with a Top 10 pick in the first round by draft time, I think it would be a good idea to push the pick + Hemsky for a top 3 pick.
I don't know if that would be enough to get a team to part with one of the big 3.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:02 AM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
There is no way in hell the coyotes don't match it. Unless it's an Ehrhoff like contract (obviously less years) and say you front load the deal and pay him 10 mill in his first year and the average cap hit is around 5.5-6 mill... then maybe things get interesting but I still think they would match it. He's the type of player you can build your D around and will be a Norris candidate for many years to come.
In a vacuum yes you are right... a sensible and well-run team does not let OEL go for picks... no matter how money... but the Coyotes are league-owned (still) and have internal budget to stick to... they have not been in on high-dollar free agents the last four years for a reason

So yes... it WOULD take Ehrhoff money... but the league would not open the purse strings to fund a multi-million-dollar signing bonus plus max term or whatever with all the uncertainty and money the team already bleeds

7 years, $38.5M base + $10.5M signing bonus = $49M ($7M/per)

OEL-Schultz
Smid-Petry
Schultz-Fistric
Potter

Old
03-07-2013, 10:02 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
How does that make us any better in the now?

Old
03-07-2013, 10:05 AM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Smith is definitely not an Alberta boy. He's a good buddy of mine that I played and went to school with in Swift Current Saskatchewan. He's actually from a small town just west of here called Maple Creek.

Surprisingly he hasn't always had his current or really anything near his level of fighting ability. But he does now and has a ton of character as well as as being a big body with good awareness and a decent pair of mitts. If love to see him in Oiler silks. Just what they need.

As for people talking up Bishop, he's quite overrated in my eyes.
Hasn't Alberta annexed Saskatchewan yet?

j/k

Old
03-07-2013, 10:07 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
The real problem is unless CGY is in the top 3, the others really have no need for Hemsky. The guy has one year left on his deal and I don't think that's enough to make a GM go from 3rd to 10th.

I rather try move that pick+ to a team that is looking to rebuild for an established player.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 View Post
Good point, he has had a great season, but that will also make him expensive in his RFA year, (next year $$$$) Leafs already have the following tied up in there blueline for 2014

2014 Leafs "D" (3 RFA's 1 UFA)
Phaneuf 6.5mil
Komisarek 4.5mil (buyout or not he's on the books)
Liles 3.875 mil
Gardiner 1.1mil (should be back with team for 2014)
Holzer 785,000 (just re-uped for 2 more years)
Franson RFA
Gunersson RFA
Fraser RFA
Kostka UFA
Riley 1.75mil (Junior eligible)

In saying that, I can see one of Gunersson or Franson moved at deadline. Oil scouts couldn't of been there to scout Komisarek or Liles since they are in the press box with them.
Buyout Komisarek and trade/buyout Liles, and that leaves 7 defensemen on the team.

Phaneuf
Gardiner
Holzer
Franson
Gunnarsson
Fraser
Kostka

If Rielly were to make the team out of training camp, I'm sure management would have no problem waiving someone like Kostka or Fraser to make room. It's really not as crowded as it might seem.

In all honesty though, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gunnarsson get moved this season (but that's pure speculation on my part).

---

As for the Hemsky proposals for Kulemin. I don't see it. Hemsky's a good player, but he really has nowhere to fit in. Keep in mind, Carlyle is insistent on having a checking line that he puts up against the other team's best players, and Kulemin is on that line. I don't really see Hemsky fitting into that role.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:31 AM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
We'll be picking top 3 most likely anyways. Even if we arent, what is the point in getting younger and younger. We have our young core set at this point. We should be moving assets to get established complementary players, not more young guys that need a few years to be difference makers. We are just moving backwards if we do that. I'd be more interested in dealing Hemsky plus our 1st rounder to get a player or package of players back.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLinsemanFanClub View Post
Hasn't Alberta annexed Saskatchewan yet?

j/k
Actually, it's "Hasn't Saskatchewan annexed Alberta yet?"

(Rider fans )

Old
03-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Lessy

Why do people want to get into the top 3 so badly? It's either Seth Jones or pick where we end up as far as I'm concerned. We already have Nathan Mackinnon; his name is Taylor Hall. Johnathan Drouin, talented as he may be, is the definition of redundant on this team. After that Barkov/Monahan would be nice but probably not players we're trading up to pick - mind you with the way we're going we wouldn't have to trade up to grab one of those guys.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Bobblehead

I think Ottawa makes sense for a trade. Hemsky played junior across the river. Alfredsson set to retire soon. Sepzza and KArlsson out. Scoring is an issue, while center, defense and grit is not. If they're still challenging for a playoff spot, it could be a fit. They have Spezza, Smith, O'Brien, Greening, Turris, Regin, Dziurzynski (if/when he comes back) and Zibanjed all listed as centers. I think we could use Smith, O'Brien and/or Greening (in that order). Ott could use scoring help and depth at LW, RW and D (and lets face it, outside of the untouchables, we can only offer Hemsky and depth players!).

Hemsky, Hartikainen, Peckham/Potter/Whitney - Smith, O'Brien, 2nd draft pick (2014)

Old
03-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Any interest in Chris Bourque? He's on waivers today.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I have been wanting Kulemin on the Oilers for years now.
Really under rated player imo, and he would fit in well with the forward group here. Is he on the block?

Admittedly I don't know anything about this player but we could use a whole lot more of what I just saw in that video please.
Yeah Ottawa fans were talking him up a bit, he looks like EXACTLY what we need down the middle.

Quote:
Smith is definitely not an Alberta boy. He's a good buddy of mine that I played and went to school with in Swift Current Saskatchewan. He's actually from a small town just west of here called Maple Creek.

Surprisingly he hasn't always had his current or really anything near his level of fighting ability. But he does now and has a ton of character as well as as being a big body with good awareness and a decent pair of mitts. If love to see him in Oiler silks. Just what they need.

As for people talking up Bishop, he's quite overrated in my eyes.
I just saw that he was born in Medicine Hat so I assumed that he was raised in Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I watch a fair bit of Ottawa and I must say that Smith would be a very good choice for the Oilers third line. He plays as advertised. I don't think he will produce a lot of points but he gives you a lot of what the Oilers are missing.

That said I doubt Ottawa would be willing to give him up without a big over payment. They just extended him for four more years which is a sign that they recognize what they have. You won't get him unless it is a pretty attractive piece going the other way, and I am not sure that the Oilers have the right assets to offer.
Then so be it, as long as it's not costing us one of the big 5 or our 1st this year, get it done. I'd hate to move Paajarvi but he'd be a great fit there with fellow countrymen Alfredsson, Zibanejad, and Silfverberg. Hemsky would be the guy that I'd be peddling as he could eventually replace Alfredsson.

Quote:
That's exactly it. I can't see Murray ever wanting to part with him without overpayment. He carries far too many intangibles as a current role player within their organization and I can't imagine what would be requested to pry a player that has shown only reasons for his team to keep him. Kind of a non-starter. Doesn't hurt to ask I guess.
We need to be all over these kinds of players and hope that a GM moves one to us. Overpaying a little doesn't hurt IMO if you get exactly what you need coming back.

03-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I think Ottawa makes sense for a trade. Hemsky played junior across the river. Alfredsson set to retire soon. Sepzza and KArlsson out. Scoring is an issue, while center, defense and grit is not. If they're still challenging for a playoff spot, it could be a fit. They have Spezza, Smith, O'Brien, Greening, Turris, Regin, Dziurzynski (if/when he comes back) and Zibanjed all listed as centers. I think we could use Smith, O'Brien and/or Greening (in that order). Ott could use scoring help and depth at LW, RW and D (and lets face it, outside of the untouchables, we can only offer Hemsky and depth players!).

Hemsky, Hartikainen, Peckham/Potter/Whitney - Smith, O'Brien, 2nd draft pick (2014)
Does Zibanejad play the wing too or strictly down the middle? If they want to keep Spezza, Turris, and Smith and Zibanejad is a true C then maybe they move him instead? He seems like a gritty kid and while I doubt that they'd deal him, I'd be fine with him too obviously although IMO he doesn't bring the toughness that Smith does.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:24 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Any interest in Chris Bourque? He's on waivers today.
Zero

Old
03-07-2013, 11:28 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Why do people want to get into the top 3 so badly? It's either Seth Jones or pick where we end up as far as I'm concerned. We already have Nathan Mackinnon; his name is Taylor Hall. Johnathan Drouin, talented as he may be, is the definition of redundant on this team. After that Barkov/Monahan would be nice but probably not players we're trading up to pick - mind you with the way we're going we wouldn't have to trade up to grab one of those guys.
No kidding. I hope they package the pick with a player, kind of like Carolina did, to get a player in their mid 20's that can help us start winning now. We should be looking at teams that are going to have cap issues next year to pluck a really good mid 20's player that fits our need.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Zero
didn't he have a really good playoff run with nashville?

edit: NVM im thinking of gabriel borque out of nashille

Old
03-07-2013, 11:32 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
didn't he have a really good playoff run with nashville?
He's never played for them or a playoff game at all.

Won't be shocked to see him go to Europe. Looks like Boston gave him a real shot and the PP time needed. Couldn't get it to work. All-star at the AHL level though. Led the AHL in scoring last year, but at 27 or 28 he might make that jump across the ocean.

Nevermind he was there in 10-11, so maybe he goes back?

Old
03-07-2013, 11:52 AM
oilfaninvan

I would love to get Perry for the simple reason that Canuck fans hate him.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:10 PM
backhandsauce

Realistic hockey trade.

Whitney and the rights to Omark to Detroit for Justin Abdelkater.

Oilers get more meat and potatoes and the Wings get two reclamation projects. Omark gets reunited with Zetterberg and Brunner.

Closed Thread