HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors and Proposals Vol. 6 "Posters who should be GM"

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Took a pill in Sbisa
2showToffoliIwascool

vCash: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Well then we have to wait 2 to 3 years before we look at trading him don't we?

When was the last time a player who saw such a drastic drop off in production from one junior season to the next actually succeeded in the NHL? Maybe Ryan Getzlaf? But lets be honest, Reider is no Getzlaf.

Reider is a long shot to be an NHL player at this point. He was even when he was putting up great numbers last season. Looks even less likely now.
Stats-wise Rieder is regressing in the OHL. Finished with 84 points in 60 games last year, now has 'only' a point per game this year. Ryan Murphy and Faksa are still on the team too

Old
03-10-2013, 02:49 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Frei!!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Belanger and a 2nd for Dubinsky
That I'd do. We might have to add a bit though. Then bring in a guy like Lapierre to fill the 4th line C spot and ideally a guy like Clowe. If we strike out on Clowe/Horton/etc then keep Hemsky around

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Dubinsky - Gagner - Yakupov
Clowe/Paajarvi - Horcoff - Paajarvi/Hemsky
Brown - Lapierre - Jones
Eager

That gives us a much more balanced lineup and a gritty guy who can drop the gloves on both middle 6 lines, and a 4th line that can wreak havoc, but still chip in offensively

Old
03-10-2013, 02:55 PM
ChadSC
SportingCharts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure why people consider Jones as a need.

I hate the Glencross comparison. Jones is not Glencross.
Jones is not as offensive as Glencross but is better defensively. He is a need in the sense of a guy who is a good 3rd/4th liner who brings scoring, energy and physicality.

Old
Paralyzer008

Whoever offered Paajarvi in a package for Dubinsky...no way

Old
McDNicks17
Save us, Connor.

I would stop cheering for this team if it had Lapierre on it.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:07 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:

Jones isn't untouchable, but he's far more valuable than the 3rd round pick we'll get for him at the deadline and he's the best fit for the 3rd line RW spot we have.

I don't have any problem with trading 1st rouders for players, but in this instance, I wouldn't trade our 1st for Dubinsky. At $4.2M a year for two more seasons after this, a 1st round pick (even next year) for a #2/3LW doesn't scream "good deal" to me.

Dubinsky has 1 goal and 8 points. If he were playing on this team, people would be calling for his head right now. Hell, that's only one more point than Smyth and most here want him to be bought out. And his cap hit is almost half of Dubinsky's.

Adding Dubinsky, while not a bad idea, probably doesn't get us into the playoffs this year. If he isn't moved at the deadline, my guess is he's probably still available at the draft. IMO, that's a much better time to try to get overpriced vetrans for picks because their value is much less on account of teams being days away from free agency (with a cap dropping to $64.3M). Not only that, but picks are overvalued at the draft as well.

03-10-2013, 03:16 PM
The Perfect Human*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I would stop cheering for this team if it had Lapierre on it.
What if they made the playoffs?

Old
03-10-2013, 03:17 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Gagner should be traded to fill needs? Such as what? The hole he creates at 2C when you trade him?
Plenty of needs: size and grit in the top 6; top 4 defenseman; good 3rd liners that could go against other teams' top lines.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:18 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Jones isn't untouchable, but he's far more valuable than the 3rd round pick we'll get for him at the deadline and he's the best fit for the 3rd line RW spot we have.

I don't have any problem with trading 1st rouders for players, but in this instance, I wouldn't trade our 1st for Dubinsky. At $4.2M a year for two more seasons after this, a 1st round pick (even next year) for a #2/3LW doesn't scream "good deal" to me.

Dubinsky has 1 goal and 8 points. If he were playing on this team, people would be calling for his head right now. Hell, that's only one more point than Smyth and most here want him to be bought out. And his cap hit is almost half of Dubinsky's.

Adding Dubinsky, while not a bad idea, probably doesn't get us into the playoffs this year. If he isn't moved at the deadline, my guess is he's probably still available at the draft. IMO, that's a much better time to try to get overpriced vetrans for picks because their value is much less on account of teams being days away from free agency (with a cap dropping to $64.3M). Not only that, but picks are overvalued at the draft as well.
I agree. Oilers have cap space and assets. There are quality players available every off-season for picks.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:36 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 5769
Quote:

with me it is also a body count things

right now
1) Hall
2) Nuge
3) Eberle
4) yakupov
5) gagner
6) MPS
7) Hemsky
8) Horcoff
9) Smyth
10) Jones
11) Belanger
12) Hartikainen
13) Brown
14) Pettrell
15) Eager
16) Lander
17) Vande Velde

d
1) Schultz 1
2) Petry
3) Schultz 2
4) Smid
5) Fistric
6) Whitney
7) Potter
8) Peckham

We need to address the fact we have too many players on the third and fourth line and that many of those guys should be elsewhere

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
Old
03-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Dubinsky thrived on a really good Rangers team. He'd be terrible here. That seems to be part of NHL player culture right now. Play on a good team = results. Play on a bad team = pout and rip the fans (and management) off.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:38 PM
The Perfect Human*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Dubinsky thrived on a really good Rangers team. He'd be terrible here. That seems to be part of NHL player culture right now. Play on a good team = results. Play on a bad team = pout and rip the fans (and management) off.
I've never seen a forward thrive in NYR after getting traded there. It's "where offensive players go to have their offense die".

The only ones I feel that have ever thrived are Gaborik and Jagr (and because of Jagr, Straka and Nylander).

That being said, a player like Dubinsky is welcome in this line-up. His size, puck tenacity, and ability to inject some responsibility into our top-9 is welcome.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Distinct

It would be huge if we could sign one of Clowe, Clarkson or Horton.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:01 PM
tv14

I would definitely be happy if we could get Dubinsky. He's a guy that can literally play anywhere upfront in the line-up. He can play centre and wing and he can be played on an offensive line or a checking line. Would be a good pick-up for this team.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Need to re-sign Smid and Jones and unload all the dead-weight at the trade deadline and in the off-season: Habibulin, Whitney, Potter, Peckham, Eager, Hordichuk need to go asap.

Hemsky, Gagner should be traded to fill needs. Smyth or Horcoff might have to be bought out in the summer.
In the ideal world:

J.Schultz-Smid
Petry-X (maybe S.Jones, if they get to draft that high).
N.Schultz-Klefbom
Fistric

Hall-RNH-Eberle
X-X-Yakupov
Paajarvi-X-Jones
Hartikainen-Belanger-Brown
Petrell, Lander
Your ideal world includes another rookie defenseman on the roster of an already young, mistake prone defense? One that has missed a year of hockey and development?

Klefbom will be looking to salvage his career after a major setback, not start playing in the NHL. If he is actually playing in Edmonton next year, then the Oilers can pretty much just release a press statement that they intend to tank for last place again.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Your ideal world includes another rookie defenseman on the roster of an already young, mistake prone defense? One that has missed a year of hockey and development?

Klefbom will be looking to salvage his career after a major setback, not start playing in the NHL. If he is actually playing in Edmonton next year, then the Oilers can pretty much just release a press statement that they intend to tank for last place again.
Sure, I mean he's consider as good or better then Brodin, but probably couldn't handle the NHL.

This team is MUCH better off with Klefbom as a #5, 6 or 7 then Potter or Peckham, and it's really not close.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:09 PM
McPoolParty
Jesse P for Prez

Quote:

Our D is so sad that I wouldn't doubt it if Klefbom turned out to be our 3rd best D after Schultz and Smid next year

Old
03-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Sure, I mean he's consider as good or better then Brodin, but probably couldn't handle the NHL.

This team is MUCH better off with Klefbom as a #5, 6 or 7 then Potter or Peckham, and it's really not close.
He just missed a year of development, asking him to sit in the pressbox half the year(per your example of Potter/Peckham) doesn't help him, or the team.

The oilers need more NHL calibre players, not more rookies playing in over their heads.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
He just missed a year of development, asking him to sit in the pressbox half the year(per your example of Potter/Peckham) doesn't help him, or the team.

The oilers need more NHL calibre players, not more rookies playing in over their heads.
yeah, Probably best to leave him in Sweden, that's worked out well.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:44 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

What's wrong with Klefbom playing in the AHL next year?

Old
03-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
What's wrong with Klefbom playing in the AHL next year?
Nothing, as long as the spot he "earns"

If he's good enough to be an NHL player, but goes to the AHL because of Potter, Peckham and the like. That's a waste.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Nothing, as long as the spot he "earns"

If he's good enough to be an NHL player, but goes to the AHL because of Potter, Peckham and the like. That's a waste.
How about he goes down to the AHL to earn his way into the NHL? Instead of just being penciled in as a 6th/7th defenseman because he's a former 1st round pick.

Seriously, do you really think a defenseman who has played a month of hockey in a calender year is going to legitimately earn an NHL roster spot? If he's on the roster next year, it'll just be another case of the Oilers throwing another young player to the wolves because they are too lazy to go out and find established NHL players.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Oil In My Veins

@Bob_Stauffer
Ken Morrow of the NY Islanders was in Nashville Friday and is here tonight in Chicago

Old
03-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Paralyzer008

I would like Mark Streit still if the Isles can't extend him.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
@Bob_Stauffer
Ken Morrow of the NY Islanders was in Nashville Friday and is here tonight in Chicago
Well, the Isles are only 2 points out of a playoff spot. Maybe it's Whitney for a 3rd, something simple like that. Maybe something bigger, like Gagner? Gagner, Whitney, and a 2nd for Nino and a 1st?

Closed Thread