HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors and Proposals Vol. 6 "Posters who should be GM"

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
@Bob_Stauffer
Ken Morrow of the NY Islanders was in Nashville Friday and is here tonight in Chicago
I'd like to see the Oilers try and get Okposo and Nino out of there, 2 power forwards to compliment the top-9

Maybe even get a Bailey for Belanger deal worked.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Well, the Isles are only 2 points out of a playoff spot. Maybe it's Whitney for a 3rd, something simple like that. Maybe something bigger, like Gagner? Gagner, Whitney, and a 2nd for Nino and a 1st?
The Nino love from Oiler fans is questionable. I don't see him fitting here, if he can't make the Isles then how good will he be on our team, especially if we have to give up a 2nd rounder and Gagner to get him.

Isles most interesting players to help us are Streit and Hamonic. Hamonic is untouchable, so Streit is the only guy realistic.

Okposo is a RW so that doesn't really work (and he's been horrible this year) and Bailey is too much of a tweener for my liking.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:21 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Well, the Isles are only 2 points out of a playoff spot. Maybe it's Whitney for a 3rd, something simple like that. Maybe something bigger, like Gagner? Gagner, Whitney, and a 2nd for Nino and a 1st?
Gagner will draw interest from teams. I would not be opposed to moving him at the deadline since he's a smaller player on a team full of smaller players and will command a significant raise this summer. But no more project prospects and picks please. Only player for player trade. Gagner for a solid d-man or for a top 6 forward with some size. They can have Whitney for scraps. The guy sucks.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:22 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
The Nino love from Oiler fans is questionable. I don't see him fitting here, if he can't make the Isles then how good will he be on our team, especially if we have to give up a 2nd rounder and Gagner to get him.

Isles most interesting players to help us are Streit and Hamonic. Hamonic is untouchable, so Streit is the only guy realistic.

Okposo is a RW so that doesn't really work (and he's been horrible this year) and Bailey is too much of a tweener for my liking.
Okposo or Streit would both be interesting.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:25 PM
12Brady
-----Tom Brady------

vCash: 50
Without some real defense this team ain't going nowhere.

Defense has been this team's problem for a while now, it's ******* sad man.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:28 PM
SchultzSquared*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Gagner will draw interest from teams. I would not be opposed to moving him at the deadline since he's a smaller player on a team full of smaller players and will command a significant raise this summer. But no more project prospects and picks please. Only player for player trade. Gagner for a solid d-man or for a top 6 forward with some size.
Gagner and Tavares are best friends... he would be best RW Tavares could ask for right now... also best fit for their #2 center

Meanwhile Okposo is struggling but the kind of PF we could use for sure...

Nelson/Lee + Okposo for Gagner?

Old
03-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Del McPreston

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonight We Are Young View Post
Without some real defense this team ain't going nowhere.

Defense has been this team's problem for a while now, it's ******* sad man.
That avatar.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Pointteen

I just remembered Okposo's contract. If he's fallen out of favor then absolutely bring him in.
2.8 million is a huge deal even if he can't get past the 40 point range. But putting him on a line with Yakupov and Gagner going forward, I don't see him getting that few points.

Sad to say it, but Hemsky for Okposo and a prospect or draft pick is something I would think about.

If we signed someone for the second line centre position in free agency this year, Gagner could be traded for a defender.

Any chance Andy McDonald signs in Edmonton for around 4 million?

Could sign Hainsey and/or Regehr and gun hard for Scuderi.

Hall RNH Eberle
Okposo McDonald Yakupov
Paajarvi Horcoff Hartikainen
Lander Belanger Jones
Eager

Gagner is great trade bait in this situation. Admittedly the third line is very weak and McDonald does not solve the toughness issue. Not many prospects that can step up and take Horcoff's role. Lander is on his way though. Eager is in on tough nights. Jones and Hartikainen switch depending on who is playing better.

Gagner and Hemsky as trade bait to push this lineup forward as well. A couple of large and gritty centre prospects to take over McDonald's role as targets. Defense obviously as well.

Scuderi Schultz
Smid Petry
Regehr Fistric/Hainsey
Hainsey/Fistric

Fistric in against the tougher teams.

Dubnyk
???
Emery maybe? I'd offer him 2 million.

That is a much more experienced lineup. It may have the potential to work and have the young ones learn valuable lessons. Thoughts? Tweaks?

Last edited by Pointteen: 03-10-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
I just remembered Okposo's contract. If he's fallen out of favor then absolutely bring him in.
2.8 million is a huge deal even if he can't get past the 40 point range. But putting him on a line with Yakupov and Gagner going forward, I don't see him getting that few points.

Sad to say it, but Hemsky for Okposo and a prospect or draft pick is something I would think about.

If we signed someone for the second line centre position in free agency this year, Gagner could be traded for a defender.

Any chance Andy MacDonald signs in Edmonton for around 4 million?

Could sign Hainsey or Regehr and gun hard for Scuderi.

Hall RNH Eberle
Okposo MacDonald Yakupov
Paajarvi Horcoff Hartikainen
Eager Belanger Jones

Scuderi Schultz
Smid Petry
Regehr Fistric/Hainsey
Hainsey/Fistric

Dubnyk
???
Emery maybe? I'd offer him 2 million.
Trading Gagner -our only food forward this year - and replacing him with another small centre for an underachieving right winer and playing him on left side. Sounds like the oilers.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post

So why would the Isles trade Streit to us if they are only 2 points out of a playoff spot and we're a last place team?

As for Nino, he's only 20 and still developing his game. You could argue he provides all the same intangibles as Harti, but I don't see how that's a bad thing. He also has more upside than Harti. As for your comment about not making the Isles, I think that roster is just as tough, if not tougher to crack than ours. He's having a good year in the AHL and is tracking just fine. Should be an NHL regular next year.

Everyone seems he'll bent on getting a roster player in return, but no team in win now mode is going to offer that. I'm fine with gaining assets like draft picks, all the while opening roster spots for trade/UFA come the off-season.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

Okposo is a lot like Penner. Big guy that you expect more from. If he put more effort into each shift and used his body a little more he'd be dominant. Seriously the guy is garbage. Not the right target.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:30 PM
dem

Not sure why anyone wants Okposo.

The above post is right on the money.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Oilers need to deal Hemsky, keep Gagner. If you can get Smyth a deal to a cup contender, I'm sure he takes it. I want to see Smyth get that shot a cup... It won't come with us.

Hemsky, Smyth, Khabibulin and Whitney have to be our assets at the deadline.

Don't settle for prospects if you can. Get some NHL experience back.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:38 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Oilers need to deal Hemsky, keep Gagner. If you can get Smyth a deal to a cup contender, I'm sure he takes it. I want to see Smyth get that shot a cup... It won't come with us.

Hemsky, Smyth, Khabibulin and Whitney have to be our assets at the deadline.

Don't settle for prospects if you can. Get some NHL experience back.
so have an entire team under 24 years of age?

03-10-2013, 07:42 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

bad gagner

you never stop playing

Old
03-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
We need veterans but they have to be the right veterans 3 of those 4 are barely NHL players right now. Hemsky is the only significant piece in there and depending on the deal it could help us, I don't think Yakupov is quite ready for feature time on the 2nd line unless those minutes are sheltered, so I'm not at all opposed to keeping Hemsky. Yak plays his best on the right side though, so it will likely only be a matter of time before Hemsky is moved.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Is there a part of "Don't settle for prospects. Get some NHL experience back" that you didn't get?

I'm not calling for rookies/prospects. I want NHL experience back that can help us. Getting some different parts for Hemsky, Whitney, Smyth and Khabby. Not younger parts.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Oil In My Veins

What about a guy like Ott in Buffalo?

Old
03-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
What about a guy like Ott in Buffalo?
Just traded for and just signed an extension, so no chance

Old
03-10-2013, 08:30 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Just traded for and just signed an extension, so no chance
When did Ott sign an extension?

Old
03-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
When did Ott sign an extension?
Nevermind, I thought I had heard he did. Eitherway, you aren't getting him without over paying a significant amount.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
So why would the Isles trade Streit to us if they are only 2 points out of a playoff spot and we're a last place team?

As for Nino, he's only 20 and still developing his game. You could argue he provides all the same intangibles as Harti, but I don't see how that's a bad thing. He also has more upside than Harti. As for your comment about not making the Isles, I think that roster is just as tough, if not tougher to crack than ours. He's having a good year in the AHL and is tracking just fine. Should be an NHL regular next year.

Everyone seems he'll bent on getting a roster player in return, but no team in win now mode is going to offer that. I'm fine with gaining assets like draft picks, all the while opening roster spots for trade/UFA come the off-season.
Didn't say they were. He is a UFA in the summer though, so there's that. NYI didn't move Parenteau last year in the same situation.

Nino hasn't done anything at the NHL level or the AHL level that screams "Let's trade Gagner for him" at this point

Old
03-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Bangers

I like Gagner, but I would trade him straight up for Hamonic.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Oil In My Veins

Tambellini needs to make a move with his goalies either way...he can't rely on Khabibulin staying healthy and the Oilers are one Dubnyk injury away from being guaranteed 1st pick this year at the draft.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Okposo is a lot like Penner. Big guy that you expect more from. If he put more effort into each shift and used his body a little more he'd be dominant. Seriously the guy is garbage. Not the right target.
I wasn't aware of that. I remember him being highly thought of when he signed his contract.

Closed Thread