HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would anyone seriously watch replacement players?

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2005, 03:15 PM
zurg999

vCash: 500
Would anyone seriously watch replacement players?

I know everyone's frustrated with the grandstanding and total lack of progress with negotiations. Aside from saying 'bring them on' as a sign of your frustration (hoping it will be a step toward breaking the union) and assuming we'd be watching 3rd tier players (i.e. the union doesn't crack, and prospects will for the most part also toe the union line).

Two part question please: Can you say, given the above, that you'd be interested in watching replacement players, either as a paying fan or TV viewer? If so, why? Be honest.

From my point of view, I just can't see an operation with replacements generating any serious interest among the existing fan base, at least not enough to make it credible. Personally I'd rather watch OHL or AHL than fringe players.

Old
03-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
I'll watch. Hockey is hockey and Habs are Habs. That crest on the front will make me watch anything.

Old
03-30-2005, 03:30 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Sign Crosby , and They Will Come

Old
Stan

I'd rather watch the AHL too, but I'll always support the habs. I welcome the replacement player idea because I think a lot of the 3rd and 4th liners will eventually cross the line and once that happens the union will crack. I think the only way to solve this is to break the union. Unless the union starts putting an effort forward, I think fans in Canada will support the owners.

Old
C-Saku Koivu MTL

We'll you gotta agree that there is alot of good hockey players outside of the nhl. People paid and are still paying to see the minors leagues teams. They can go and get good skilled hockey players from the LNAHQ league for exemple. Plus Teams will have no choice but to play exciting hockey, so there will be no trap and some good games even with replacement players. And the TV ratings and people in the stands were that bad that I don't think the owners really care if it doesn't work that well.

Old
03-30-2005, 03:31 PM
eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
I'll watch. Hockey is hockey and Habs are Habs. That crest on the front will make me watch anything.
Though it wouldn't be quite the same as having the real players I totally agree. I'd watch.

Old
03-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Poochie_D

I'll watch... like the guy above me said... the habs are the habs. Although i will admit that if we have a very good season ( lets say top 5 in the league) I wouldnt feel the same about it.... probably wouldnt care much. Same if we form a very bad "scab" team. I dont like the term scab.... and if any NHLER uses it and i was a reporter i would be pissed. There scabbing down in Europe and are taking jobs from guys who make 50,000 a year, trying to put food on the table. so yes... ill watch lol

Old
03-30-2005, 03:32 PM
HF-Addict

I'd pay if the asking price is reasonable. I link myself to the Montreal Canadiens, not the players, that's y it wouldn't bother me one bit to go watch replacements players.

I don,t think I'm a huge hockey fan, I enjoy watching junior games here and there, a few Hamilton Games, but I'm much more a Montreal Canadiens fan (or NHL) than a hockey fan. I have no shame to admit it.

Personnally, right now I'm seriously pissed because I'm in a play-off mood (let the beard grow!! jk), yet there are no play-off. So I'd do anything in my power in order to fix that problem, I don't want this to happen another year.

So yes, I would watch them.

Old
03-30-2005, 03:33 PM
Darz

Quote:
Ditto.

I'd hate to see it come to that, and my interest level would be lower than any other time in my life, but I have to root for the Montreal Canadiens. It is who I am.

03-30-2005, 03:35 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio
Sign Crosby , and They Will Come
Well I'm pretty sure Mario Lemieux would play. And how about a return of WAYNE GRETZKY with Phoneix. Damn poeple would talk about the NHL every where and they would sold out in Phoneix. OK, OK he would probably not but that would be a big blow you know were to the players.

Old
03-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Hab at it

I'd definately watch, I've seen greats like Lafleur, Robinson, Gainey, Roy etc leave/retire from my fav team and other such as Gretzky, Bossy, etc retire and the game has continued as well as my interest. Players come and go, that's life but I'll always watch and cheer for my habs. Besides the current crop of NHLPA'ers need to realize they are not bigger than the game and what better way to smack them upside the head than supporting replacement players and as has been brought out the game will still be good, I'd expect somewhere between the current AHL and NHL.

Old
03-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Stan

If they use replacement players, should they reward the cup? I personally don't think they should, but I'd be interested in hearing what everyone else thinks.

Old
03-30-2005, 03:52 PM
zurg999

A lot of guys are coming around to saying that they'd do it (watch) essentially because they're pissed off, and that it could help break or discredit the union.

Please take that out of the equation completely (see the original question)!

What I'm asking is if you'd put time aside to watch third tier players (NOT picket line crossers and NOT top prospects). We're talking (for arguments sake) about career minor leaguers, players coming out of retirement, undrafted Europeans, etc.

Old
03-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Rocket#9

I would and I will keep watching. It's only gonna take a few weeks until the players caves.

If everyone was like you, no one would pay and the players wouldnt cave so easily which means another hockeyless winter or worst, a pro-player CBA that will slowly kill whatever future the NHL might have had.

Then again, they need to drop the price by at least 50%. Im not paying full price for replacement players, ill just watch on TV

Old
03-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Daly said its not certain that replacement players will be used... and Bettman said he promises we will have hockey next year

I'd watch anything personally.

Old
03-30-2005, 03:58 PM
BORAT

I'll watch, no doubt about it, I pledged allegiance to the crest not the millionaires

Old
03-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 1131
I would not pay 100$ bucks to see it live at the arena ... but i would really watch it on TV and im sure i would enjoy it .

Old
03-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Empireshark

In a heartbeat I would watch replacement players. I enjoy watching hockey at all skill levels. Anyways how can people say that replacement hockey is going to be so crappy and then in the next sentence say how they enjoy junior hockey and minor pro hockey so much. In my opinion replacement player hockey, even without crossovers or top prospects, is still going to be entertaining based on the fact that the competition will be so high. For most of these players this will be the only time that they will play in the NHL and I would think that they are going to bring their "A" game every night. For the first time in a long time I think that we'll see every player on the ice playing their guts out every night. So would I watch replacement players ? You bet!

Old
03-30-2005, 04:13 PM
BORAT

Ok lets put it thios way : Ifthe Bell center charged you 60 $ for front seats to watch the habs : would u go ?

Old
03-30-2005, 04:14 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket#9
I would and I will keep watching. It's only gonna take a few weeks until the players caves.

If everyone was like you, no one would pay and the players wouldnt cave so easily which means another hockeyless winter or worst, a pro-player CBA that will slowly kill whatever future the NHL might have had.

Then again, they need to drop the price by at least 50%. Im not paying full price for replacement players, ill just watch on TV
Please read the question!!!

Old
03-30-2005, 04:41 PM
dre

I would watch a little, then probably get turned off by the whole ridiculousness. I wouldn't even care who won really. I'd watch just to see what happens basically...like the XFL for the first few games.

Old
03-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999
Please read the question!!!

It really seems to me as if you want the people to say no and are putting stipulation to get there. When/if replacement players come, it won't be just third tier player. And even if it was, I'd still watch. Like I said before, I care much more for the team than the players. Players will come and go but Habs will always be.

Old
03-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Habs13

simple answer? Yes.

Old
03-30-2005, 06:14 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I'd watch it, just to piss off a bunch of spoiled millionaires.

Old
03-30-2005, 06:27 PM
zurg999

Quote:
It really seems to me as if you want the people to say no and are putting stipulation to get there. When/if replacement players come, it won't be just third tier player. And even if it was, I'd still watch. Like I said before, I care much more for the team than the players. Players will come and go but Habs will always be.
Didn't mean it that way but I can see why you make the point. Anyway I think the question is still valid.

Closed Thread