HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Would anyone seriously watch replacement players?

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2005, 06:28 PM
zurg999

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie
I'd watch it, just to piss off a bunch of spoiled millionaires.

sigh

Old
03-30-2005, 06:32 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre
I would watch a little, then probably get turned off by the whole ridiculousness. I wouldn't even care who won really. I'd watch just to see what happens basically...like the XFL for the first few games.
That is exactly the way I feel about it too.

If the Habs won the cup, there'd be this tag:

* replacement players

All very cheap.

Old
03-30-2005, 06:39 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999
sigh
I'm not sure about the sigh, I answered your question, I would watch it.....why?...to piss off the current players. That's my reason.

Old
03-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Habs13

Honestly, I will watch and cheer for anybody wearing the Habs jersey. I don't care who it is as long as it's a Habs game.. I'll be there if I can, or else I'll be watching at home and cheering as loud as I always do.

GO HABS GO.. not GO <insert player name here> Go!

Old
03-30-2005, 07:19 PM
goalchenyuk

yes and i hope that a lot of fans would do it , because it would be a great big lesson for all those big-ego people ;could you just imagine them at home , during a game view by about the same number of fans ?

Old
03-30-2005, 10:02 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
I'll watch. Hockey is hockey and Habs are Habs. That crest on the front will make me watch anything.
Pretty much all that would be need for me, i would watch also.

Old
03-30-2005, 10:04 PM
wedge

I liked watching the Caron et Guay in the NAHL, a team that sucks in a league that sucks, so I'd give a try to the replacement players anytime.

We just want to see some good hockey. If the game is entertaining, let's go.

Old
03-31-2005, 01:55 AM
saskhab

It wouldn't be the best hockey in the world. What's the point of the NHL if it can't fulfill that? It would be a disgrace to the great history of so many franchises and the league to have anything less than the best.

No, I wouldn't watch, and I'd be damned pissed at the NHL if they put replacements on the ice.

"Another pro-player CBA"... oh boy, two 'pro-player' CBAs in the history of the NHL. Boy, that'd kill the game.

There's a vast difference between the business/labour relations side and the on-ice product. The best league in the world should only display the best players in the world. They better negotiate a new deal by the start of the new season, and preferably immediately.

The NHL needs to show integrity to regain respect. Don't bring on replacements.

Old
03-31-2005, 04:49 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab
It wouldn't be the best hockey in the world. What's the point of the NHL if it can't fulfill that? It would be a disgrace to the great history of so many franchises and the league to have anything less than the best.

No, I wouldn't watch, and I'd be damned pissed at the NHL if they put replacements on the ice.

"Another pro-player CBA"... oh boy, two 'pro-player' CBAs in the history of the NHL. Boy, that'd kill the game.

There's a vast difference between the business/labour relations side and the on-ice product. The best league in the world should only display the best players in the world. They better negotiate a new deal by the start of the new season, and preferably immediately.

If Brisboise is one of the best players in the world...than hockey is in a whole lot of trouble!

Old
03-31-2005, 05:44 AM
habsfan4life

nope. never.

Old
03-31-2005, 06:11 AM
RLC

Quote:

Yep if the NHL is forced to use replacement players to survive because the current NHLPA are still part of the problem.
Then the Best players in the world become the replacement players.
The NHL is currently showing integrity by not giving in again to a bad CBA. They are trying to put in a permenant fix , a long term fix.
The current NHLPA is being run by a small group of extreme militants.Most players are not this type and are just listening to their elders. It's the elders that is the current problem. The elders already have made ton's of money. So the current thinking is "lets all fight to the death against a cap" If we win we will all win, if we lose I will retire to my big house on the beach and go fishing on my yacht, play golf with my other rich retired NHL players.

Old
03-31-2005, 07:04 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I watched lots of NHL hockey in the 80's. Half the players playing then couldn't make it in the current NHL, because they were maybe too soft or had slightly wonky skating or were just a little too small or didn't pay attention to their defense. Those same players have been playing in other pro leagues in the world for the past decade, largely replaced by the influx of European content in the NHL.

Basically, I think a replacement league, if it was really well scouted out and organized and if the non-NHL world pros were recruited at a good clip, would be comparable to 80's era NHL, aside from a few of the really big superstar types. It would be the best league in the world still, even if it was a step behind the full-up NHL. If the NHL puts a product like that on the ice, I'll be tuned in just as if it was the regular NHL, and I'm willing to give it even-odds of being even more entertaining than recent incarnations of NHL hockey. That would be awesome.

Alternatively, if they ice the LNAH or some semi-pro lineup of has-beens and truly never-weres, then I'll still probably pay occasional haphazard attention, watch HNIC regularly, never go to a game live, and only get excited if the Habs are doing well.

So either way I'm in, but I see a higher ceiling on the potential calibre of the replacement players than most people probably do.

Old
03-31-2005, 09:20 AM
BORAT

lolololol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you guys under the illusion that we've been watching the greatest hockey in the world in the NHL for the past 4 years ????????????? don't be full of it.

The best hockey in the world is the olympics and the world cup .

Hey go watch a chicago vs Nashville game.

I'd watch St John's vs Hamilton anytime !!!

so anybody thinking that the NHL is the best hockey in the world, I invite the argument !!!!

Old
03-31-2005, 09:47 AM
saskhab

Replacement league:

As far as I can tell, you cannot have foriegn players on the teams. So we have 6 Canadian teams with all Canadian replacements and 24 with all American replacements. No Europeans.

You won't have the top players crossing the lines, and I can't imagine that many veterans crossing the lines that play on 3rd or 4th lines regularly. The top prospects in the AHL won't cross either (sorry, Danis won't be the Habs' starter and Higgins and Kostitsyn won't be playing either).

We're talking a league made up of AHL veterans (the high end talent), the occasional NHLer, some kids straight out of junior or college that would be heading to the Texas leagues or the ECHL, and CIAU graduates. I think current AHL teams would be able to beat the teams that are likely to be assembled a majority of the time. That's not what I expect out of the NHL brand. I don't expect the 'best of the rest', or more accurately, the 'best of the willing'. I expect the best. Simple as that.

Am I saying this because I'm pro-PA? No, I'm pissed at them just like the rest of you. But I'm probably more pissed at the owners/league than a lot of fans on here. And you should be pissed at them as well... Any league that expands like the NHL does and doesn't realize that such expansion will inflate salaries is ridiculous. And renew a bad deal twice, can't manage a budget... and expect sympathy from fans all while their team values are skyrocketing as well.

There was a deal to be made and both sides refused to go there due to foolish pride. Both sides deserve blame for the cancellation of the season. One side more than the other? Possibly, but that doesn't mean we should all love our teams so much that we watch them put people that don't deserve to wear the uniforms on the ice.

Old
03-31-2005, 10:07 AM
SwiftyHab

IN todays television market which cant get enough of reality tv that consists of putting "regular" people in irregular situations, I think an NHL ripe with regualr Joe's trying to re-live their dreams would be amazing. Imagine, Joe the Baker going in on a breakaway, only 2 hours after he finished his shift at St. Viateur Bagel. What made the old habs great was that they were common folk, with a particular talent that everyone watched to love. But at the end of the day, the Maurice Ricahrds of this world were a bunch of old fashioned montrealers. Ya, id watch him, and all the motivated replacement players anyday.

Old
03-31-2005, 12:26 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Replacement league:
We're talking a league made up of AHL veterans (the high end talent), the occasional NHLer, some kids straight out of junior or college that would be heading to the Texas leagues or the ECHL, and CIAU graduates. I think current AHL teams would be able to beat the teams that are likely to be assembled a majority of the time. That's not what I expect out of the NHL brand. I don't expect the 'best of the rest', or more accurately, the 'best of the willing'. I expect the best. Simple as that.
Actually, I think you leave out the true best replacement players in that analysis, which are the North American pros playing in Europe. The question is whether/how many would want to get mixed up in the whole mess. Some few of them might have NHLPA pensions to worry about too.

If I was making a prediction, I don't think the NHL replacement league would end up getting very many of the highest calibre players available, and hence could only end up at a level perhaps a bit below the current AHL, but above the ECHL. I don't think they'll try hard enough or make offers interesting enough to the really good expatriate pros to lure them into the mess. The NHL owners will be assuming that it's just a stopgap measure, so why bother paying out to lure away the best? The potential is there, but I'd be surprised if they really tapped it.

Alternatively, if they go really cheap, it could be Kevin Kerr and his crew, for a level far far below the AHL.

Old
03-31-2005, 12:58 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Sure I would watch. I've always dreamed of Dagenais being the best player of the team!

I hope they will hire Robert Dirk! I miss him!

Maybe Pat Falloon?

Old
03-31-2005, 01:06 PM
x-bob

For sure I would watch it. I love hockey and I love the Habs. I don't really care if they aren't the best. I think some people are underating the talent of some unkown players out there. Plus, in a month of action, the old players will start comming back so it would be a win win situation.

Old
03-31-2005, 03:19 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisbenbengood
The best hockey in the world is the olympics and the world cup .

Hey go watch a chicago vs Nashville game.

I'd watch St John's vs Hamilton anytime !!!

so anybody thinking that the NHL is the best hockey in the world, I invite the argument !!!!
I think you'd be arguing with yourself. Even with it's shortcomings, no one would argue that the NHL is the best regular league play in the world, which is what we're talking about, not something that happens at most, once a year.

OK, lets wait for Italy vs. France at the next Olympics; I'm holding my breath in anticipation!

Old
03-31-2005, 03:20 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
Sure I would watch. I've always dreamed of Dagenais being the best player of the team!

I hope they will hire Robert Dirk! I miss him!

Maybe Pat Falloon?

This is a truly inspired post. I like this guy.

Old
03-31-2005, 03:23 PM
J-D

If ticket prices drop I will consider buying multi-game packages, or even a season ticket.

Old
03-31-2005, 03:27 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Replacement league:

As far as I can tell, you cannot have foriegn players on the teams. So we have 6 Canadian teams with all Canadian replacements and 24 with all American replacements. No Europeans.

You won't have the top players crossing the lines, and I can't imagine that many veterans crossing the lines that play on 3rd or 4th lines regularly. The top prospects in the AHL won't cross either (sorry, Danis won't be the Habs' starter and Higgins and Kostitsyn won't be playing either).

Am I saying this because I'm pro-PA? No, I'm pissed at them just like the rest of you. But I'm probably more pissed at the owners/league than a lot of fans on here. And you should be pissed at them as well... Any league that expands like the NHL does and doesn't realize that such expansion will inflate salaries is ridiculous. And renew a bad deal twice, can't manage a budget... and expect sympathy from fans all while their team values are skyrocketing as well.

There was a deal to be made and both sides refused to go there due to foolish pride. Both sides deserve blame for the cancellation of the season. One side more than the other? Possibly, but that doesn't mean we should all love our teams so much that we watch them put people that don't deserve to wear the uniforms on the ice.
Quoted in it's entirety because it is so very well put.

Watch just because you're pissed off at the NHLPA? Sure you will.

Old
03-31-2005, 03:46 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999
Quoted in it's entirety because it is so very well put.

Watch just because you're pissed off at the NHLPA? Sure you will.

Seriously man.. You're beating a dead horse. 90% of the people that replied said they would watch. You are just pulling by the threads. We aren't watching because we are pissed at the NHLPA. We are watching because it's hockey and it's the Habs. Sure, NHLPA hatred may be/likely is a factor but it isn't the only one.

Old
03-31-2005, 04:20 PM
HabsoluteFate

I link myself to the Montreal Canadiens, not the players

I'd watch

Old
03-31-2005, 04:23 PM
bleedgreen

not my team -but i have to say i watch the game of hockey, not just the teams. i go to denver university and colorado eagles games - and enjoy them almost more than nhl games. better atmosphere compared to the avs. ill watch replacement hockey - i have trouble turning any hockey off my tv.

Closed Thread