HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Lose 4-3 ... #2 in the Toilet War

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 01:06 AM
Tom Brady
▌░▌░▌░▌░▌░▌░▌░▌░▌░▌

vCash: 223

Old
03-06-2013, 01:08 AM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I only meant that most clubs won't consistently give us this much time and space to execute plays.

Funny thing about Columbus's record this year is that in games I watch teams are usually playing them poorly and using their worst efforts. Blue Jackets have one thing going for them and thats lulling opponents down to their level of play.
They've also got size and grit and lots of it. Two things that gives our team fits.

03-06-2013, 01:23 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
They've also got size and grit and lots of it. Two things that gives our team fits.
I honestly think we gave ourselves fits today by not playing our game. Jackets don't really dictate against teams.

We played to their level, made ordinary players look good.

When a guy like Anisimov is the best looking player on the ice theres a lot of guys not playing all that well. Seen you talking about him btw. this guy is up and down as well.

He has nights like this but others when you don't even see him. He looks better than he is imo.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:35 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Yeah, there wasn't any time during tonights game where we made a mistake or something bad happened where I thought to myself "that wouldn't have happened if we were bigger up front".

I would like to see a little more meat on the blueline though. Smid's positioning is good and he's more than willing to engage physically both in terms of actual one-on-one confrontations as well as getting in front of shots, but he doesn't seem to have the strength needed to play the body the way he likes to on oncoming forwards on the rush. He's tough as hell, but maybe not as strong as he should be. Greene, Souray, and even Sutton were able to play that way and were effective in doing so, but Smid not so much. Fistric has that ability to straight up stop guys in their tracks like that, which is nice to see, but I don't think he's enough.

03-06-2013, 01:37 AM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Yeah, there wasn't any time during tonights game where we made a mistake or something bad happened where I thought to myself "that wouldn't have happened if we were bigger up front".

I would like to see a little more meat on the blueline though. Smid's positioning is good and he's more than willing to engage physically both in terms of actual one-on-one confrontations as well as getting in front of shots, but he doesn't seem to have the strength needed to play the body the way he likes to on oncoming forwards on the rush. He's tough as hell, but maybe not as strong as he should be. Greene, Souray, and even Sutton were able to play that way and were effective in doing so, but Smid not so much. Fistric has that ability to straight up stop guys in their tracks like that, which is nice to see, but I don't think he's enough.
When the Jackets were swarming the net we lacked D to clear bodies and forwards to clear bodies it was a dual problem. When you have 3-4 guys crashing the net at the same time you can't rely on 2 D to handle them all unless one of them is Chara.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:39 AM
McFuhryous

I missed the game tonight, sounds like l should jusr delete it and not bother with the PVR. How did Brown play, or I guess the better question is how did Krueger utilize him?

Old
03-06-2013, 01:48 AM
T-Funk

I wasn't too pissed off about the game until Smid kept almost scoring on himself when we pulled the goalie for a delayed penalty.

That made me for a while.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Da McBomb

What happened to RNH's one timer?? I've seen a few times this year where he had a awesome chance to one time a nice pass right in the slot, but he elects to hold on to the puck. In the back of my mind, I keep thinking that if that was Yakupov receiving the pass, there would be a hard shot on goal. Don't get me wrong, Nuge's playmaking and passing was great tonight, but his shooting this year is so off.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:53 AM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

I can't even argue about much.(although I think selling the farm and trying to get another top five pick is the stupidest idea i've heard in awhile, no shocker there. Yeah, let's get more kids. GOOD ONE. )

I can't even preach patience like I usually do. It's becoming apathy. I see the Oilers game on, I get bored, watch something else more entertaining.

For god sakes, I'm a Browns fan. You think I could handle it a bit.

I'm just starting not to care. And that's pretty sad as a fan to stop caring.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:56 AM
shoop

vCash: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
A few specific comments. Dubnyk with another horrible game. The 2nd columbus goal being a joke. Dubs gets flat out beat on a shot, it hits the post, then he flaps around like a dying salmon basically willing Jackets to finish. jebus how many posts did the Jackets hit tonight? Lets in 3 goals against a poor club but got beat several times. **** poor in the SO tonight as well.
I completely agree with you. Can someone please explain McCurdy's comments from the Journal website on Dubnyk's game to me? How was Dubnyk credited with an 'above average' game?

Quote:
Lots of chaos in front of his crease, and DD deftly dealt with most of it. Had no chance on the first or third goals, but perhaps he could have done more to put out the blaze on the fire drill that resulted in CBJs powerplay tally. Made a number of excellent stops. Had no chance on two perfect shootout drives that both tickled the iron on their way into the top corner. 38 shots, 35 saves, .921.
Was he watching the same game? The second goal was Dubnyk's patented weak goal a game. Perfect shoot out goals? hmm...

Oh well. Spring is here. The Oilers are out of the running and I'll spend less time watching them play, I hope.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:33 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
I can't even argue about much.(although I think selling the farm and trying to get another top five pick is the stupidest idea i've heard in awhile, no shocker there. Yeah, let's get more kids. GOOD ONE. )

I can't even preach patience like I usually do. It's becoming apathy. I see the Oilers game on, I get bored, watch something else more entertaining.

For god sakes, I'm a Browns fan. You think I could handle it a bit.

I'm just starting not to care. And that's pretty sad as a fan to stop caring.
I feel the same way, and I hate it. I could have come home to watch the game, but I decided to do some work instead. All I missed was getting mad at a ****-poor game.

So when I say to people "if it makes you mad, why not take a break?" I say it without judgement. I get way too pissed off spending 3 hours and watching a terrible hockey team. So lately, I just do other stuff.

And that's why I also hate the "if you don't stick through this you aren't a real fan." Well, no. I've watched awful Oilers hockey for 15 of the last 20 years. If I want to watch less this year, that doesn't make me a bad fan. It means I don't want to waste time watching bad entertainment.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:39 AM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
I feel the same way, and I hate it.
It comes naturally for me at this point. The last 3-4 seasons have been the same story. After the first 15-20 games it looks like the team is out of it and it gets to the point where I can barely muster hopes for a late season push for the 8th seed. My mind is already on next year. I am terrified that we miss the playoffs again next season, and it sure looks likely even as early as it is to predict right now, unless management is able to pull off some big changes.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:42 AM
Soundwave

I saw some decent things from RNH tonight as far as his vision and passing. Eberle is snakebit or that finger is bothering him something fierce because RNH delivered the game on his stick twice in the same PP.

Horrible game though, watching this team ... there's no energy. I'm not sold on whatever system Krueger is trying to use here.

Yes, I expect losses, but how about an entertaining game now and again? Even last year we got a few, this year has been a total snoozefest.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:27 AM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

On a positive note about this game. I see Kreuger is trying to use the point shot more often which I've been saying we need since the beginning of the season. Also nice to see our d men jumping into the play. After calming down due to the crap of a game I just watched I can see that this team is slowly starting to turn the tide. Yes we need more effort and Tambo absolutely has to make a meaningful deal to show the guys in the room he's serious about winning. If he can do that SOON I think we have good chance on salvaging the season. If we're 7 points out of a playoff spot by the end of the road trip though Tambo should be asked to resign.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:05 AM
The Perfect Human*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
*cough* Montreal Canadiens *cough*

Yeah. The coaches shouldn't take any of the blame.
Management flipped that team around. Big center in Gally. Cole for Michael Ryder is an upgrade. Colby Armstrong. Brandon Prust. Cammy for Bourque They've added a bunch of sandpaper.

And let's not forget, a top-10 Dman in Markov is healthy again

Last edited by The Perfect Human*: 03-06-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 06:06 AM
LaGu

I didn't see the full game, in pieces I managed to follow about half but I still think there are some positives.

Gagner needs no explanation, he continues to be one of our best players night after night and I think most agree on this.

Paajarvi is playing really good of late, he looks more comfortable to me and this is a very good sign especially due to his struggles the last season. I know I have hinted this before but I really do think that clarifying to him what his role will be on this team (3rd liner, defensive responsibility) was an excellent move by our management. He doesn't seem to be playing under the same pressure as last year, and I think the reason is that he knows that his role is not to be an offensive machine putting up loads and goals and points.

Furthermore I saw that posters were saying that PRV should not be 2nd overall on the Oilers roster in terms of scoring goals not counting PPG and I can agree with that notion seeing what talent we have on this team. That said, it needs to be pointed out again that despite having limited ice time and mostly playing on the 3rd/4th line in the beginning of this season, he's been doing really really well in terms of goals scored. And I mean really well.

I made a quick search (and someone can correct me if I am wrong here) looking at his goal scoring pace which is about 0.24 GPG measured against forwards and left wingers over the last couple of seasons (excluding PPG's) calculated for a 82 game season.

08/09: top 60 amongst forwards and top 15 amongst left wingers.
09/10: top 50 amongst forwards and top 20 amongst left wingers.
10/11: top 50 amongst forwards and top 20 amongst left wingers.
11/12: top 60 amongst forwards and top 20 amongst left wingers.

(12/13: shared 26-38 place amongst left wingers).

I know there are many factors that are in play here, time on ice is one of them but maybe more importantly, I didn't compare the other players scoring pace but rather their goals total vs PRV's scoring pace. I still think he's destined for the 3rd line here, with the possibility to fill in on the top 2 lines when necessary, but those stats are pretty great imo.

Those were the two positives. For the rest:

edit: I see that the post became somewhat longer than I expected. Sorry for that. I should have cut everything after the first paragraph about PRV in this game and have put it in another thread.

Last edited by LaGu: 03-06-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 08:49 AM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
I agree except for Hall.
the only ones who shouldn't be available (unless the price paid is ridiculous) are hall, RNH and schultz... eberle and yakupov should both be on the table in my mind, and if a very good offer came for either of them, we'd have to look long and hard at it

Old
03-06-2013, 09:04 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Simply put the best players need to be better.

Maybe it's time to start matching lines, ideally once Horcoff comes back we can start sheltering these kids again.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Management flipped that team around. Big center in Gally. Cole for Michael Ryder is an upgrade. Colby Armstrong. Brandon Prust. Cammy for Bourque They've added a bunch of sandpaper.

And let's not forget, a top-10 Dman in Markov is healthy again
He's not a "big center"

Old
03-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 250
Last night was indefensivable, utter failure by the team. A shake up is needed.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:35 AM
OntOilFan

What I'd really like is for people to stop showing up at Rexall.

That's what I'd really like.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:36 AM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Simply put the best players need to be better.

Maybe it's time to start matching lines, ideally once Horcoff comes back we can start sheltering these kids again.
this is kinda my point about krueger's inability to handle a game.... he doesn't seem capable of getting matchups that are favorable for the kids, even though they *clearly* need it and aren't ready for the top-line matchups at this stage of their career

Old
03-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Critically Acclaimed

No speed going into the offensive zone. 3 most common scenarios I see at the opposing blue line.

- 2 forwards standing at the blue line, 3rd forward enters the zone with the puck, D converge and take puck away, 2 forwards can't retrieve puck fast enough from still position.

- 2 forwards standing at the blue line, 3rd forward dumps puck in, 2 forwards can't retrieve puck fast enough from still position.

- 3 forwards going through the neutral zone with speed (a perfect dump and chase scenario), forward with puck either

1. Dipsee-doodles with it at the blue line going offside.
2. Dipsee-doodles with it at the blue line, sees he will go offside and turns around in the neutral zone and loses the puck creating a scoring chance going the other way.
3. Dipsee-doodles with it at the blue line, sees he will go offside, dumps it in when the other forwards are already offside, opposing D easily retrieve the puck.
4. Dipsee-doodles with it at the blue line, sees he will go offside, passes it back to his own defenseman who proceeds to bring it back behind our goal line to try and setup for all this magic to happen again.

I know that was more like 6 things but I got on kind of a role there.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:00 AM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

vCash: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
I feel the same way, and I hate it. I could have come home to watch the game, but I decided to do some work instead. All I missed was getting mad at a ****-poor game.

So when I say to people "if it makes you mad, why not take a break?" I say it without judgement. I get way too pissed off spending 3 hours and watching a terrible hockey team. So lately, I just do other stuff.

And that's why I also hate the "if you don't stick through this you aren't a real fan." Well, no. I've watched awful Oilers hockey for 15 of the last 20 years. If I want to watch less this year, that doesn't make me a bad fan. It means I don't want to waste time watching bad entertainment.
i feel the same way, last night i watched the game on ffwd. The reason you keep coming back and me too is that one game you dont see may be the game that gagner gets 8pts. or nuge puts up 5pts. or we score 13 goals or something like that. I almost didnt see the gagner 8pt night. i turned it off in the first so my wife could watch bachelor or some noise. Luckily i recorded it and watched it on a 1 hour delay, and i am so glad i did. I would hate myself for missing that. and that is why you keep coming back, because in your heart you know that when the team is good you arent a bandwagon jumping chump, you saw this team fight through adversity and grow together,

its just too bad it sucks bad right now, i ffd the game so i could make meatballs, meatballs man i stopped watching so i could make meatballs. today i am glad i did, but next time will i be?

Old
03-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
this is kinda my point about krueger's inability to handle a game.... he doesn't seem capable of getting matchups that are favorable for the kids, even though they *clearly* need it and aren't ready for the top-line matchups at this stage of their career
They gotta learn at some point. It's not like we were gonna make the playoffs this year or anything.

Closed Thread