Notices

Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

What's so special about Kane?

Old
03-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Megahab

vCash: 500
What's so special about Kane?

It seems that a lot of people on these forums are big Kane fans. At times, I've liked him as a character...probably in the first couple of years and for a few months after he removed the mask. But I never really saw anything special in him. His character has been booked very badly over the years and he lost the monster image a long time ago and I doubt he can ever get that back. Also, I always thought he was really boring in the ring. I can't even think of many great Kane matches. He's had some good matches, but not really anything that you can call a match of the year candidate off the top of my head...unless you count the TLC match on Raw in late 2002. He is also a pretty bad actor (although that might have more to do with his character). I've read that some people here think he's one of the best big men ever, but I don't think so.

I think from here on out, he's best used the way he is being used now...a midcard tag team comedy wrestler that can be inserted into a main event match every now and then for multi-man matches.

So, tell me, what's so great about Kane?

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:39 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

EpochLink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1513
ill answer so you dont have another failed thread.

haha no. i only liked kane as a kid for being Taker's brother.
I liked the look and mistery around him (no face, no voice).
but after they started making him more human, his character lost his appeal.
they never really knew what to do with him if he wasnt fighting or teamming with Taker...
and as a wrestler he wasnt bad at all. but again having the same two finishers as his brother didnt help.
if people had to chose a favorite big guy. i would take the original deadman over the red-monster copy.

gotta say i remember a few cool spots.
i think his debut was one of the coolest debuts. (music, lights, screws taker, leaves)
and then that where he took his mask off was also fun. he looked ugly as hell. half bald. weird make-up and camera shaking so we dont see how bad the spot looks live.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:13 PM
The Shockmaster
SHOCK THE WORLD

vCash: 1251
I think he's one of the greatest big men ever. I found him to equal mic skills, agility and in-ring work as the Undertaker.

The Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Megahab

Can the Kane fans name some of Kane's greatest matches please? I think he's nowhere near the Undertaker's level.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:20 PM
The Shockmaster
SHOCK THE WORLD

vCash: 1251
I didn't see it, but I've heard good things about taker vs. Kane at Wrestlemania (14? 15?).

The Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:21 PM
AfroThunder396
Certified G

vCash: 1670
When masked Kane debuted, he was one of the biggest things in the WWE. Perfect monster character.

His ring work is sensational for a man of his age and size. His tag team partner is arguably the best technical wrestler in the world right now and he manages to keep up with him as a 7 foot tall +300 lbs man in his 40's. That's remarkable.

He's one of the few guys that can manage to be part of a silly comedy tag team but still be a credible threat. He just has that ability to stay legitimate, the same way that Jericho can job out on Superstars and then win the World Title a week later and no one will think twice about it.

His character isn't terribly strong, but not because of his performance. When you're booked as the little brother of The Undertaker, that's something that's always going to be held over your head. He has great range, and like I said, he can fill out any spot on the card. Need a short title feud? Tag team division needs a lift? Want to put over young talent? Need a filler guy for a gimmick match?

Kane is the prefect utility guy, and when you have a guy like that they're always going to seem a little lackluster when compared to consistent main eventers. He's done a lot of garbage stuff in his career simply because no one else could do it.

So if there weren't the constant comparisons to The Undertaker he'd be viewed in much higher esteem. That, combined with his refusal to participate in the main event scene because Vince wants him doing other things really hurts him. But he's accomplished a lot in his career and has been one of the most reliable performers for 15 years, and as the company has changed dramatically Kane is still one of their most consistent performers.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Megahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
When masked Kane debuted, he was one of the biggest things in the WWE. Perfect monster character.

His ring work is sensational for a man of his age and size. His tag team partner is arguably the best technical wrestler in the world right now and he manages to keep up with him as a 7 foot tall +300 lbs man in his 40's. That's remarkable.

He's one of the few guys that can manage to be part of a silly comedy tag team but still be a credible threat. He just has that ability to stay legitimate, the same way that Jericho can job out on Superstars and then win the World Title a week later and no one will think twice about it.

His character isn't terribly strong, but not because of his performance. When you're booked as the little brother of The Undertaker, that's something that's always going to be held over your head. He has great range, and like I said, he can fill out any spot on the card. Need a short title feud? Tag team division needs a lift? Want to put over young talent? Need a filler guy for a gimmick match?

Kane is the prefect utility guy, and when you have a guy like that they're always going to seem a little lackluster when compared to consistent main eventers. He's done a lot of garbage stuff in his career simply because no one else could do it.

So if there weren't the constant comparisons to The Undertaker he'd be viewed in much higher esteem. That, combined with his refusal to participate in the main event scene because Vince wants him doing other things really hurts him. But he's accomplished a lot in his career and has been one of the most reliable performers for 15 years, and as the company has changed dramatically Kane is still one of their most consistent performers.
Keeping up with Bryan? He's his tag team partner. He's not Bryan's opponent, he doesn't need to keep up with him. Bryan is doing most of the in-ring work and Kane comes in and does his big man spots. It has nothing to do with Bryan.

I don't think Kane is a credible threat right now. I can't consider him a potential WWE champion right now. I don't even think he can have an interesting title feud right now. Also, a win over Kane doesn't mean much anymore, so I don't think he's in much of a position to put someone over.

It's not Kane's fault that he's been involved in so many terrible storylines, but that has damaged his character so much, which was the biggest thing he had going for him. I wish they hadn't gotten rid the voice box thing he was using. I felt like that was so unique and added so much to his character.

Kane's refusal to participate in main event scenes? I think Undertaker offered to have his streak broken by Kane and Kane refused...but are there other examples? Why would he refuse main events anyway?

Kane is one of WWE most consistent performers. Consistently mediocre.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Megahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheamusFan View Post
I didn't see it, but I've heard good things about taker vs. Kane at Wrestlemania (14? 15?).
Wrestlemania 14. Judge for yourself, but this match was decent at best.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:08 PM
AfroThunder396
Certified G

vCash: 1670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
Kane is one of WWE most consistent performers. Consistently mediocre.
So basically, you made this thread to bash Kane but wanted to be polite about it?

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:24 PM
George Maharis
Risk Taker

vCash: 50
I've always loved the Hardcore match from Wrestlemania 17... Kane vs Raven vs Big Show. It's honestly one of my all-time favourite matches...

Others that were pretty good are:
vs Shane McMahon (Unforgiven, 2003)
vs Triple-H (Judgement Day, 2001)
vs Big Show (Raw, 2002)
vs Stone Cold (King of the Ring, 1998)
vs Chris Jericho (Armageddon, 2001)
vs Vader (No Way Out, 1998)

George Maharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Reality Check

He's done pretty damn good for a guy that was only supposed to be around for about six months.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
He's done pretty damn good for a guy that was only supposed to be around for about six months.
Exactly. It's not so much that Kane is a tremendous entertainer, but the smarks and long-time fans have the respect for him, and know what he means to the company backstage. Much in the same way hockey fans adore the guy who has stuck around the team despite not being flashy i.e. guys like Chris Phillips, Kris Draper, Mattias Norstrom, etc.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Megahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
So basically, you made this thread to bash Kane but wanted to be polite about it?
No, I wanted to give my opinion about Kane and allow others to give their rebuttals. You know...I wanted to have a discussion on a discussion forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Exactly. It's not so much that Kane is a tremendous entertainer, but the smarks and long-time fans have the respect for him, and know what he means to the company backstage. Much in the same way hockey fans adore the guy who has stuck around the team despite not being flashy i.e. guys like Chris Phillips, Kris Draper, Mattias Norstrom, etc.
I agree. Kane is the Chris Phillips of WWE. I respect him for being a mainstay in WWE for so long, but I don't think that makes him one of the greats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
What makes you think Kane was only supposed to be around for six months?

Old
03-10-2013, 08:40 PM
George Maharis
Risk Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
No, I wanted to give my opinion about Kane and allow others to give their rebuttals. You know...I wanted to have a discussion on a discussion forum.
This is the internet... you can't do that.

George Maharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:30 PM
The Lunatic Fridge
why is my name here?

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
You'd have to watch him from his early career to truly appriciate kane. This PG Era non sense has just brain washed you

The Lunatic Fridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Megahab

I have watched him since the character debuted in 1997.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Ozz

Never cared for him too much, but when he was new it was pretty good seeing the heel Kane as originally billed.

I remember The Undertaker originally being called "Kane the Undertaker", and I always thought it was funny that they recycled the name for his storyline brother.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Eisen

Quite honestly, I don't see how Kane is worse than the Taker if he would have gotten the support and build up.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:09 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Quite honestly, I don't see how Kane is worse than the Taker if he would have gotten the support and build up.
Kane is a consistent character. It's not easy to maintain the quality that he's had with such an unrealistic gimmick for 15 years. Even Undertaker had to switch off eventually to something that was a little more real to him.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Kane is a consistent character. It's not easy to maintain the quality that he's had with such an unrealistic gimmick for 15 years. Even Undertaker had to switch off eventually to something that was a little more real to him.
Blame it on the writers. His work is equal to me.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:42 AM
Disclose

vCash: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Blame it on the writers. His work is equal to me.
yet people cant name a good match.
even as a biker, taker threw great matches. (hhh, flair, lessnar, hardy, etc...)
not the best in the mic, but he has always been good on the ring (not counting the first years where he was playing the gimmik).

kane is good but besides cool angles and spots he doesnt have a memorable match.
even if hes good in the ring.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:59 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post
yet people cant name a good match.
even as a biker, taker threw great matches. (hhh, flair, lessnar, hardy, etc...)
not the best in the mic, but he has always been good on the ring (not counting the first years where he was playing the gimmik).

kane is good but besides cool angles and spots he doesnt have a memorable match.
even if hes good in the ring.
I don't know. I liked the inferno match with Taker and the ambulance match with Shane. He's not ever going to get the same credit as Taker just because he's the brother and essentially a replica of Taker. Taker is the original article and they've always put a lot more thought and effort into his character than Kane's.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:26 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I don't know. I liked the inferno match with Taker and the ambulance match with Shane. He's not ever going to get the same credit as Taker just because he's the brother and essentially a replica of Taker. Taker is the original article and they've always put a lot more thought and effort into his character than Kane's.
That's basically what I meant. Kane was raised to be the Takers ultimate enemy but had few cool angles besides that.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:06 AM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

I think Kane is at his best when he's just a destructive force, demolishing anybody that comes into his path, no matter if he is portrayed as a face or a heel. I think back to times like his debut, the PPV (or RAW) when he interfered in several matches in one night, and his monster run immediately after his mask removal. That is when Kane is a master.

His run with Bryan the past few months has been entertaining to say the least, and they have been consistently good. But, their steam is starting to wear off and has been for a while now. I still think they face each other at 'Mania or if they defend the belts, they'll lose the belts and go 1-on-1 at Extreme Rules.

But, as far as Kane the singles competitor goes, it is hard to be in the shadow of arguably the GOAT in 'Taker. But, he's done a pretty good job of it.

TheMurdocktor is offline   Reply With Quote