HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Jones to Habs for 3rd and Weber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2013, 10:20 PM
  #1
RyanBostonRedsox
Long Live Chappelle
 
RyanBostonRedsox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vermont/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Ryan Jones to Habs for 3rd and Weber

Ryan Jones for Weber and a 3rd.

Why Montreal does this: They could use another bottom 6 guy. He had 17 goals last year, so it's not like he's only physical. Montreal also has six picks in first three rounds so the pick can be expendable. Weber is expendable with Kaberle as a 7th d-man and, if needed, St. Denis/Tinordi in AHL.

Why Edmonton does this: Jones isn't a part of their future. They don't have many puck moving defenseman (just Petry and Schultz), and their defense is weak. The 3rd rounder just adds to their prospect pool.

RyanBostonRedsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:24 PM
  #2
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,988
vCash: 500
Yuck. Jones adds nothing to the Habs, the ONLY thing the Habs bottom 6 needs is somebody that can take on the heavyweights in our division.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:25 PM
  #3
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,227
vCash: 500
The Oilers have zero need to move Jones for this kind of return. No need for Weber. No need for more picks. Pass.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:27 PM
  #4
RyanBostonRedsox
Long Live Chappelle
 
RyanBostonRedsox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vermont/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
If Montreal is a top-4 team in the conference and Edmonton keeps losing, I don't see it as an unrealistic move.

RyanBostonRedsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:39 PM
  #5
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBostonRedsox View Post
If Montreal is a top-4 team in the conference and Edmonton keeps losing, I don't see it as an unrealistic move.
Well, yes it is unrealistic because Jones is one of the few bright spots on our team and that offer is terrible. I can't believe a Montreal fan said "yuck" to this. Give me a break, this is insulting to Edmonton. Weber is not an upgrade on Whitney, Potter or Peckham. Adding him without trading a D back gives us 9 defenseman. That 3rd round pick is useless to us.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:41 PM
  #6
sansabri
au-delà du délai
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saint-Hubert, QC
Country: Palestine
Posts: 12,855
vCash: 500
we need someone who can fight to help out Prust. Jones will throw some hits, but won't throw fists.

sansabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:44 PM
  #7
stoff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Well, yes it is unrealistic because Jones is one of the few bright spots on our team and that offer is terrible. I can't believe a Montreal fan said "yuck" to this. Give me a break, this is insulting to Edmonton. Weber is not an upgrade on Whitney, Potter or Peckham. Adding him without trading a D back gives us 9 defenseman. That 3rd round pick is useless to us.
Value wise and team standings wise this is a fine proposal.

For team needs, as far as edmonton goes, it is not a good proposal. We don't need depth dmen, we have 8 #6 dmen. We need top 4 dmen.

I would do Ryan Jones for Ryan White.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:48 PM
  #8
sansabri
au-delà du délai
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saint-Hubert, QC
Country: Palestine
Posts: 12,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
I would do Ryan Jones for Ryan White.
we need him for draws.

sansabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:49 PM
  #9
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Value wise and team standings wise this is a fine proposal.

For team needs, as far as edmonton goes, it is not a good proposal. We don't need depth dmen, we have 8 #6 dmen. We need top 4 dmen.

I would do Ryan Jones for Ryan White.
Eight #6 D, hey?

And you're in a minority for that proposal.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:51 AM
  #10
Pekka Rinne
Registered User
 
Pekka Rinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,325
vCash: 500
Jones may never fight again due to his eye injury. So I dont really see him being a good fit for Montreal. And I wouldnt trade him for that anyways.

Both teams probably say no.

Pekka Rinne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:43 AM
  #11
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
Montreal does not need a fighter in the playoffs. They need a hard working forward who will grind, muck and kill time for the stars to rest. When the Habs picked up Dominic Moore in 09-10 it was the same concept. Added depth.

Any Canadiens fan wanting the team to add a fighter at the deadline is showing their lack of intelligence in spades.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:46 AM
  #12
iCanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,448
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Montreal does not need a fighter in the playoffs. They need a hard working forward who will grind, muck and kill time for the stars to rest. When the Habs picked up Dominic Moore in 09-10 it was the same concept. Added depth.

Any Canadiens fan wanting the team to add a fighter at the deadline is showing their lack of intelligence in spades.
....

Anyone who considers Ryan Jones a Fighter either has never seen him play or significantly lacks in intelligence.

Jones is a guy that scored 30 point two years straight, a guy with over fifteen goals two years straight.

Jones IS a hard working gridner who will much it up in the corners, kill time for the stars, and do anything for the team...

And for those reasons, we prolly going to keep him, because he exaclty what the Oilers need too.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:51 AM
  #13
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
....

Anyone who considers Ryan Jones a Fighter either has never seen him play or significantly lacks in intelligence.

Jones is a guy that scored 30 point two years straight, a guy with over fifteen goals two years straight.

Jones IS a hard working gridner who will much it up in the corners, kill time for the stars, and do anything for the team...

And for those reasons, we prolly going to keep him, because he exaclty what the Oilers need too.
Hey I was agreeing with you. Disagreeing with people saying Montreal doesn't need Jones and worrying so much about his fighting skill. I should have clarified I was supporting the concept of Jones to Montreal.

I wonder how Jones isn't signed yet. Doesn't make sense to me. Makes me ask questions.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:52 AM
  #14
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,011
vCash: 500
Haha. No thanks.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:13 AM
  #15
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces
 
Aceonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,974
vCash: 500
Jones is one of the most likable Oilers. If he ever gets traded, I really hope he gets a job in the media at some point. Guy is hilarious.

And no to the trade. We are looking to add role players not trade them away.

Aceonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:24 AM
  #16
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
There is a good chance Ryan Jones will be traded this year, but not for the scraps that is being offered. The Habs and Oilers are bad trading partners, as they need basically the same type of players, and the Habs don't have what it takes to make this trade.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:51 AM
  #17
doc lafleur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Montreal does not need a fighter in the playoffs. They need a hard working forward who will grind, muck and kill time for the stars to rest. When the Habs picked up Dominic Moore in 09-10 it was the same concept. Added depth.

Any Canadiens fan wanting the team to add a fighter at the deadline is showing their lack of intelligence in spades.
Have you watched any hockey this year...our division is loaded with heavyweight, fighting is up, I know it will go down in the playoff. However, at the rate Prust is fighting he will more than likely be injured by that time, he is on pace for 28 fights he's had to fight out of his weight class.
We have a small team with young guy's getting pounded daily, how far do you think they will get in the Playoffs without Prust ?

doc lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:57 AM
  #18
glenbuis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Montreal does not need a fighter in the playoffs. They need a hard working forward who will grind, muck and kill time for the stars to rest. When the Habs picked up Dominic Moore in 09-10 it was the same concept. Added depth.

Any Canadiens fan wanting the team to add a fighter at the deadline is showing their lack of intelligence in spades.
You should have watched the Montreal-Boston game a coupla nites ago.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:58 AM
  #19
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Montreal does not need a fighter in the playoffs. They need a hard working forward who will grind, muck and kill time for the stars to rest. When the Habs picked up Dominic Moore in 09-10 it was the same concept. Added depth.

Any Canadiens fan wanting the team to add a fighter at the deadline is showing their lack of intelligence in spades.
Most Habs fans are looking for someone who can play hockey, throw hits, AND fight when necessary. That is why Jones and Eager are NOT the kind of players we need. CLOWE and STONER. Make it happen, Bergevin!

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:36 AM
  #20
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Most Habs fans are looking for someone who can play hockey, throw hits, AND fight when necessary. That is why Jones and Eager are NOT the kind of players we need. CLOWE and STONER. Make it happen, Bergevin!
Problem is that the Habs don't have what it takes to trade for these players, and their not going to trade their top D prospects to get them.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:52 AM
  #21
glenbuis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Problem is that the Habs don't have what it takes to trade for these players, and their not going to trade their top D prospects to get them.
Don't have what it takes? They have loads of draft picks and prospects to add to whatever player their upgrading on. We only need 2-3 players to give a bit of support in the grit department.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:19 AM
  #22
Walter Kovacs
McJesus
 
Walter Kovacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
There is a good chance Ryan Jones will be traded this year, but not for the scraps that is being offered. The Habs and Oilers are bad trading partners, as they need basically the same type of players, and the Habs don't have what it takes to make this trade.
I have my doubts about this, Jones is exactly the type of player we need to keep around.

Walter Kovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:32 AM
  #23
JayKing
Go Habs Go
 
JayKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,384
vCash: 50
Montreal doesn't do this. Jones doesn't bring anything more than what Moen brings.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:59 AM
  #24
Analyzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,342
vCash: 500
He'd probably be better than Army and Moen, but pass.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:40 AM
  #25
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 26,107
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBostonRedsox View Post
Ryan Jones for Weber and a 3rd.

Why Montreal does this: They could use another bottom 6 guy. He had 17 goals last year, so it's not like he's only physical. Montreal also has six picks in first three rounds so the pick can be expendable. Weber is expendable with Kaberle as a 7th d-man and, if needed, St. Denis/Tinordi in AHL.

Why Edmonton does this: Jones isn't a part of their future. They don't have many puck moving defenseman (just Petry and Schultz), and their defense is weak. The 3rd rounder just adds to their prospect pool.
Potter is as much of a puck mover as Weber. We don't need another bottom 6 d-man, we need top 4 guys.

Jones is also one of a few that goes in tough areas and gives 110% every shift. He can be had, but not for guys that add very little.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.