HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Brian Campbell to the Red Wings?

Old
03-14-2013, 11:41 AM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

vCash: 450
Brian Campbell to the Red Wings?

http://lastwordonsports.com/could-brian-campbell-be-traded-to-the-detroit-red-wings/

Brian Campbell seems like the perfect puck moving D for the Wings who are having major issues on their PP.

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:41 AM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

vCash: 127
I could see this happening.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
OCPenguin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWordArmy View Post
http://lastwordonsports.com/could-brian-campbell-be-traded-to-the-detroit-red-wings/

Brian Campbell seems like the perfect puck moving D for the Wings who are having major issues on their PP.

Actually, I could see a fit with this one.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:50 AM
nhlfan9191

As long as you understand we won't be keeping any salary. He's our best defenseman and we'll just keep him if that's the case.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:59 AM
CoolburnIsGone

The question is does Tallon want to trade Campbell after getting him to waive his NTC to come to FL? I dont think so.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:05 PM
ShootIt
M F P G A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
The question is does Tallon want to trade Campbell after getting him to waive his NTC to come to FL? I dont think so.
I agree. Also add in he is our best defenseman, really our only PMD, and probable captain after Jovo calls it quits.

If Detroit offers a nice offer, sure, but, I rather not see him moved.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Djp

Campbell's price is high given the years left at $7M on his contract. Florida would have to eat some to lower the cap value. and increase the return.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Chevrier

Campbell's easily the Panthers best defenseman. His contract is pretty pricey, which lowers his overall value, especially with the cap set to drop. It's been kicked around and discussed amongst Wings fan but I think Florida holds onto him for reasons mentioned above.

Value to the Panthers and salary reasons.

Chevrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Avs44

vCash: 50
I think it would actually be a great fit, but I'm not sure if Tallon would want to move Campbell. I'm sure the Wings would also want the Panthers to keep some cap.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Android 16

Any Campbell to Det trade scenario would be a steal for Det and a screwjob for the Panthers.

So, no.

Android 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

quincey plus a prospect plus a 2nd

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Android 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
Rather keep Campbell until he retires.

Android 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:06 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
That isn't anything Florida should get excited about whatsoever.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
That isn't anything Florida should get excited about whatsoever.
of course not

the question would be "why" would florida even ever be looking to move campbell. I dont think they're but should they be, the return wont be that great

Old
03-14-2013, 02:44 PM
RedMenace
So Long, and Thanks

I think that article was pretty spot on:

Franzen+Quincey+whatever pick

Salaries about balance out. Everyone's happy.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:52 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
I think that article was pretty spot on:

Franzen+Quincey+whatever pick

Salaries about balance out. Everyone's happy.
Yeah, this is a good idea too.

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Oh yes, and we all know Detroit needs more puck moving defenders.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Wingsfan2965*

There is so much wrong with the actual article it's not even funny...

Quote:
Brian Campbell is everything the Detroit Red Wings are missing right now.
No he's not, I'm not sure if the author has ever heard of Niklas Kronwall or not... Probably not.

Quote:
His $7 million dollar per year contract is a hefty bag for the Florida Panthers, a franchise notorious for riding the bottom of the cap floor. Detroit, though, has enough cap space to afford him now and down the road. His assets could be a game changer for Detroit.
No they don't. Detroit has roughly $19M to resign Howard, Filppula, Brunner, Nyquist, and Smith. Even taking Franzen out of the equation, Campbell's contract would cut that down to $16M. Howard and Filppula are both looking at about $5M a year. Brunner is hard to gauge. Smith will probably get somewhere between $2M and $2.5M.

So no, they don't have the money at all.

Quote:
The best thing Brian Campbell does is carry the puck and QB the power play like no other defenseman in the league right now, besides maybe Kris Letang
Yeah, the guy has clearly never heard of Kronwall...

Quote:
the Wings can lose Ouellette due to the emergence of Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl, and the fact that they also have Ryan Sproul in the system.
Ouellet's ceiling is ten times higher than Kindl's. I'd rather keep both him and Sproul with the expectation that one might not pan out.

Quote:
What Detroit offers is a chance at playoffs and another possible Cup run.
Detroit's not making a Cup run this year.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:30 PM
RedMenace
So Long, and Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
There is so much wrong with the actual article it's not even funny...
Not really, but let's have a crack at it.

Quote:
... I'm not sure if the author has ever heard of Niklas Kronwall or not... Probably not.

Yeah, the guy has clearly never heard of Kronwall...
Kronwall is NOT a PP QB. He might be able to fire them from the point after stepping around the pressuring forward, but otherwise the Wings don't have an actual QB on the point. That's what they need, especially if one or more of Quincey/Kindl/White are on the way out.

Quote:
No they don't. Detroit has roughly $19M to resign Howard, Filppula, Brunner, Nyquist, and Smith. Even taking Franzen out of the equation, Campbell's contract would cut that down to $16M. Howard and Filppula are both looking at about $5M a year. Brunner is hard to gauge. Smith will probably get somewhere between $2M and $2.5M.

So no, they don't have the money at all.
It's likely Filppula is pricing himself out of Detroit; Smith and Nyquist aren't going to get massive "first" contracts; Brunner hopefully will get somewhere south of $3m; Howard, well, who knows. Less than $5m would be ideal, but the Wings are really high on him, and it's not completely unfounded.

Yeah, Campbell's contract would hurt at the beginning, but if he royally sucks, I'm pretty sure the Wings can "compliance" buy him out after next season.

Quote:
Ouellet's ceiling is ten times higher than Kindl's. I'd rather keep both him and Sproul with the expectation that one might not pan out.
Hyperbole is a wonderful thing, but let's not get carried away. If you had to pick one between Sproul and Ouellet, which would it be? Sproul is the RH shot and bigger, and I'd rather the Wings keep him.

What about my suggestion of Quincey?

Quote:
Detroit's not making a Cup run this year.
Is the world ending after this season? League folding? If they make the playoffs this year, that's more than most are expecting; next year is the make or break season.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:35 PM
France Nielsen
sacre bleu

Quote:
The Detroit Red Wings trade Johan Franzen and Xavier Ouellet to the Florida Panthers for Brian Campbell and a 5th round pick.
Why would the Wings do this? They're already DYING for scoring wingers, especially ones with size. Could they afford to give one up?

and even then, do the Wings need a defenseman? Maybe. But do they need an offensive defenseman? It's doubtful. The Wings really need defensive stability from their d-group and Campbell doesn't necessarily bring that.

On top of all of this, Ouellet IS the type of guy who will bring defensive stability. He's probably 2-3 years out, but he could be a solid second pairing guy. Which is exactly what the Wings are in the market to get in the first place.

France Nielsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:36 PM
France Nielsen
sacre bleu

Quote:
Hyperbole is a wonderful thing, but let's not get carried away. If you had to pick one between Sproul and Ouellet, which would it be? Sproul is the RH shot and bigger, and I'd rather the Wings keep him.
I'd rather the Wings keep both.

France Nielsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Not really, but let's have a crack at it.

Kronwall is NOT a PP QB. He might be able to fire them from the point after stepping around the pressuring forward, but otherwise the Wings don't have an actual QB on the point. That's what they need, especially if one or more of Quincey/Kindl/White are on the way out.
Odd... Kronwall has as many points as Campbell on the PP, and Detroit's PP is seven spots below Florida's...

Quincey's contract ends next season. Kindl will be resigned. Nobody cares about White. He had one good season, shockingly enough, guess who his linemate was?

Quote:
It's likely Filppula is pricing himself out of Detroit; Smith and Nyquist aren't going to get massive "first" contracts; Brunner hopefully will get somewhere south of $3m; Howard, well, who knows. Less than $5m would be ideal, but the Wings are really high on him, and it's not completely unfounded.
Howard is looking at about $5M. Let's say Filppula is pricing himself out... So we trade Franzen away knowing Filppula will be gone too? Brilliant idea... Brunner probably gets something like $10M over 3 years. That'd be idea. Smith will get something like $2.25. Who know on Nyquist.

Quote:
Yeah, Campbell's contract would hurt at the beginning, but if he royally sucks, I'm pretty sure the Wings can "compliance" buy him out after next season.
Absolutely, let's trade a 30 goal winger and a high-ceiling prospect for a guy who "We can just buy out if he sucks".

Quote:
I don't have to pick either, and don't want to. Unless a talented defensive defender is coming back, I'd prefer Detroit hoarded their prospects.

Quote:
What about my suggestion of Quincey?
Removes the salary problem. Still don't think it's what Detroit needs.

Quote:
Is the world ending after this season? League folding? If they make the playoffs this year, that's more than most are expecting; next year is the make or break season.
Not sure what anything here has to do with what I said about the fact that the Red Wings aren't going to contend for the Cup this year...

Probably wont next year either. Gonna be a few years while the prospects are plugged in and gain some experience.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

I think some Wings fans want to believe all our prospects are amazing despite the fact its been 10 plus years since one we drafted turned out to be amazing making the game of chance stacked well against us

but even if one or two do in fact end up being fantastic if we ever actually want to improve our team with younger core players not just againg stop gaps then those such assets cost, and if you're unwilling to pay the piper then all your left with is a team full of clearys, coliacovos, quinceys and sammuelson's..

Old
03-14-2013, 03:57 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

That is a big package from the Wings, but probably realistic. I would pass, but this is likely what it would take.

Interesting with how enamored Tallon has been with physical attributes that they wouldn't insist on Sproul. Of course XO would play in Florida next year they don't spend as much time grooming and he is NHL ready. Man this would stink if they do it.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Vatican Roulette
Baile de Los Locos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
That is a big package from the Wings, but probably realistic. I would pass, but this is likely what it would take.

Interesting with how enamored Tallon has been with physical attributes that they wouldn't insist on Sproul. Of course XO would play in Florida next year they don't spend as much time grooming and he is NHL ready. Man this would stink if they do it.
Agreed. But worry not, I don't see the Wings adding 7 million in salary.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote