HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers PP Unit

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 11:09 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
Oilers PP Unit

well let's hope that Mr. Hair, Craig Simpson can fix our horrid PP numbers from last season.

It looks like they struggled on the PP going 1-10 against Vancouver so I'm still worried, but its still early.

This is how I'd like our PP unit to look when the season gets rolling.

F- Isbister-Smyth-Laraque
D- Brewer-Hemsky

I really like the mix of size and skill level, that 3 up front would be a headache for every single team in the league. All 3 can sit infront of the goalie if they feel like it, also cycle quite well behind the net. and hemsky on the point will provide a dangerous element on the blue line.
my only objection is that with brewer on the other side, we would not have a heavy shot from the blueline, brewer is more accuracy oriented and looks for the open holes when shooting.

do you guys think this unit would work?

Old
09-23-2003, 02:24 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
well let's hope that Mr. Hair, Craig Simpson can fix our horrid PP numbers from last season.

It looks like they struggled on the PP going 1-10 against Vancouver so I'm still worried, but its still early.

This is how I'd like our PP unit to look when the season gets rolling.

F- Isbister-Smyth-Laraque
D- Brewer-Hemsky

I really like the mix of size and skill level, that 3 up front would be a headache for every single team in the league. All 3 can sit infront of the goalie if they feel like it, also cycle quite well behind the net. and hemsky on the point will provide a dangerous element on the blue line.
my only objection is that with brewer on the other side, we would not have a heavy shot from the blueline, brewer is more accuracy oriented and looks for the open holes when shooting.

do you guys think this unit would work?
I'd like to see what Semenov would do in place of Brewer in that line. He has on heck of a shot, if only they could convince him to use it once in a while.

Old
09-23-2003, 06:19 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Agreed, I'd like to see Semenov on the point and Hemsky in Laraques place (although I do like the idea of Laraque with those two as they'd be one of the biggest and best cycling lines in the NHL). I just think Semenov needs to shoot and the goals (or goals of his rebounds) will follow. But give him time, he's young, and probably not to confident.

Old
09-23-2003, 10:32 AM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Laraque should not be used on the PP< he'll take the puck and do the penalty killers job for them, kill all the damn time behind the net. Unfortunately, theats what he is best at and it won't change if you put him out there. A guy is going to do what he knows how to do and thats what BG knows.

to be entirely honest, i'd rather see a better finisher like York or Dvorak out there in place of Laraque...and Brewer should not get PP time if he's going to hold the puck until his shooting lane closes EVERY freakin time, even i know that a shot that gets through is better than a shot that gets blocked...young EB doesn't seem to realize that orif he does he just doesn't care.

Not to be too hard on him as he is still young but he's been playing on the PP for a few years now and its not really improving... Guys that can make quick passes and accurate shots are what we need.

I'd go with...
Isbister-Smyth-York
Semenov-Hemsky

Horcoff-Reasoner-Dvorak
Brewer-Bergeron

in an attempt to get brewer to take some one-timers that MAB is undoubtedly going to feed him.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:44 AM
barto

I think Georges could just stay in front of the net the whole time & be told upon pain of an hour-long interview with Hallsie that he MUSTN'T go behind the net EVER!

Bart

Old
09-23-2003, 12:34 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
I'd go with...
Isbister-Smyth-York
Semenov-Hemsky
I don't mind the look of that, I also wouldn't mind seeing Chimera in Isbister's spot on occassion. He has decent size and I think enough hands to collect some of the garbage goals that we have been missing.

One thing that I am not sold on is loading up with a real heavy shot from the point.

Don't get me wrong, at 102 mph I would love to see Semenov use it a few more times this year, but not on the PP.

It seems that all last year the puck would come back to the point and the D would wind up for the cannon and one of three things would happen;

1) the defenders would close the gap because the wind up was taking too much time and as a result the shot is blocked

2) when there was traffic in front, the velocity of a slap shot would cause the puck to simply ricochet away from the net

3) 98% of the time there was not enough control by the shooter to actually put the puck on target

I think back to the playoffs in '01 and how well Brewer did and I can't help but to think that if the Oilers simply threw the damn puck on net, they would have a lot more success.

That year Brewer had 6 points in 6 games and I am sure every one was generated at the blue line. All he did was throw the puck on net, not hammer it but a quick shot that generated some garbage for the other guys to pounce on.

When your on the PP you shouldn't have the advantage at the blue line but instead it should be around the net.

By simply having the D taking quick shots, all three problems mentioned above get solved;

1) it doesn't take as much time to take a quick wrist/snap shot so the defender doesn't have time to close the gap, the shot also isn't telegraphed so it forces the other defenders to hold their positions instead of collapsing to the middle and the simple mechanics of that type of shot leaves the shooter with an option to pass

2) with less velocity, the shot is more likely to bounce around in the area your shooting to, which is exactly the spot you have the man advantage, you don't need to shoot to score just shoot to get a scrambly play around the net where you have an extra body trying to capitalize on it

3) most importantly it's a heck of a lot easier to actually target your shot and hopefully it would reduce the number of times we see a shot miss the net onlyto be cleared or worse miss the far side a 90 mph only to see the puck wrap around the end boards and out of the zone on its own

Just my opinion

Old
09-23-2003, 01:37 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
fair enough, and true to an extent. But the Blues powerplay lives and dies with the shot of Al MacInnis and even Pronger to an extent. When there is a cannon of a shot on the line the PKers cheat to try and make sure that shot doesn't get used. The Oilers could seriously use Semenov on the point for his shot. He could be out there for the sole purpose of just taking one timers.....

Closed Thread