HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Madison Square Garden Permit Renewal

Old
01-21-2016, 04:19 PM
GuelphStormer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ah, yes, I think I might know what the posters commenting about.... I remember watching games from MSG on TV in the mid-to-late 60's & the lighting didnt seem quite as bright as games that were broadcast from the Forum in Montreal; the Gardens in Toronto. Camera positioning probably had something to do with it as well. Perhaps Fenway would know what was what, the differences.... I wouldnt call it a "design flaw" with MSG or whatever though. Just a bit "different". No loss of quality in the broadcast itself & certainly nothing wrong with the building... With the introduction of color TV, all of the arenas had to upgrade their lighting systems big time. Rather amusingly Harold Ballard in Toronto refused to pay for it, insisting HNIC do so despite a league wide edict... got into it with HNIC Executive Producer Ralph Mellanby one night telling him he had to cover the costs, grabbed a fire axe off the wall in the studio at the Gardens (this was minutes before a game was to start) and threatened to chop into the tree trunk sized main cable that was lying on the floor in front of them unless he agreed to pay for the new lights, which Mellanby did, as no question, wasnt an idle threat.
ah yes, the 60's ... when we all had to trudge thru the snow, uphill, both ways, in our bare feet just to watch tiny little hockey players skating around inside that magical box. those were the good old days. kids nowadays have no idea how good they have it.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2016, 05:39 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
ah yes, the 60's ... when we all had to trudge thru the snow, uphill, both ways, in our bare feet just to watch tiny little hockey players skating around inside that magical box. those were the good old days. kids nowadays have no idea how good they have it.
.... we only got 3 channels. 12" B&W Viking portable. neighbor got the 1st color tv I ever saw mid-60's but sure enough, I do remember watching games from MSG. Matinee's mostly, afternoon games... distinctly recall the odd camera placements and the lighting which was very "day like" if that makes any sense?.... very similar to the setups you see on tv from Europe even today. The ice surface at MSG seemed larger (because of the camera placements being up & back further than Mtl/Tor) while the lighting seemed diffused.... it was interesting, always good, entertaining... certainly didnt think it sub-par by any stretch. Just didnt have the same "intimacy" that you had with HNIC due to camera locations/angles.... Also wondered if perhaps the white ceiling they had/have at MSG may have contributed to the odd lighting, refracting as it did.... different with the Forum & Gardens, Boston Garden, Chicago Stadium & Detroit whereby the ceilings in those places were dark, unfinished. More of a stark & dramatic effect.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2016, 06:30 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
.... we only got 3 channels. 12" B&W Viking portable. neighbor got the 1st color tv I ever saw mid-60's but sure enough, I do remember watching games from MSG. Matinee's mostly, afternoon games... distinctly recall the odd camera placements and the lighting which was very "day like" if that makes any sense?.... very similar to the setups you see on tv from Europe even today. The ice surface at MSG seemed larger (because of the camera placements being up & back further than Mtl/Tor) while the lighting seemed diffused.... it was interesting, always good, entertaining... certainly didnt think it sub-par by any stretch. Just didnt have the same "intimacy" that you had with HNIC due to camera locations/angles.... Also wondered if perhaps the white ceiling they had/have at MSG may have contributed to the odd lighting, refracting as it did.... different with the Forum & Gardens, Boston Garden, Chicago Stadium & Detroit whereby the ceilings in those places were dark, unfinished. More of a stark & dramatic effect.

i think we only got to see US games on a Buffalo station, and pre-cable, over-the-air reception was snowier than TO stations, so it always felt like a lesser quality but strangely more exciting broadcast overall. but a bag of chips was only a quarter and lola's a dime back then, so take my romantic memory for what it's worth.

Old
01-21-2016, 06:50 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post

i think we only got to see US games on a Buffalo station, and pre-cable, over-the-air reception was snowier than TO stations, so it always felt like a lesser quality but strangely more exciting broadcast overall. but a bag of chips was only a quarter and lola's a dime back then, so take my romantic memory for what it's worth.
... ya, you wouldve had no problems picking up CFTO (CTV) & CBC out of Toronto; CHCH TV 11 in Hamilton... but rather finicky finding that steady signal from WKBW TV out of Buffalo.... a city which which always seemed to be on fire.. Irv Weinsteins lead story every night... 5 Alarm Fire in....
Bit of trivia here for New Yorkers.... back in the late 50's for 2 seasons... Monty Hall (a Canadian originally from Winnipeg), long time game show host
of Lets Make a Deal was the Studio Host for Rangers games.

Old
01-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 10000000
Quote:
... ya, you wouldve had no problems picking up CFTO (CTV) & CBC out of Toronto; CHCH TV 11 in Hamilton... but rather finicky finding that steady signal from WKBW TV out of Buffalo.... a city which which always seemed to be on fire.. Irv Weinsteins lead story every night... 5 Alarm Fire in....
Bit of trivia here for New Yorkers.... back in the late 50's for 2 seasons... Monty Hall (a Canadian originally from Winnipeg), long time game show host
http://www.newsday.com/sports/media/...ncer-1.5332842

Quote:
Given his relatively short term, Hall had some memorable moments in the old Garden.

He recalled a between-periods interview he did with coach Phil Watson early in that miserable ’59-60 season. “I said, ‘Phil, what’s up with the team?’ and he started in on each one of his players.’’’

Among his rants, he said of goalie Gump Worsley, “He drinks so much beer he can’t stand in that cage.’’

Said Hall: “When the next period started, I noticed he wasn’t behind the bench. [General manager] Muzz Patrick fired him between periods!.’’

Upon Watson’s death in 1991, Patrick told The New York Times that he had to fire his old roommate and friend not because he was losing but because he "sometimes talks too much."

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2016, 07:03 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ classic. not so funny for Watson though.

Old
01-21-2016, 07:18 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
thanks for the way back machine "Talking proud" commercials we got over here with people holding up the 4 fingers 4 horsemen style....and good old Irv, many an evening I spent watching the news from across the lake...CFTO with Tom Gibney....thanks for the wayback Killion

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2016, 07:32 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
thanks for the way back machine "Talking proud" commercials we got over here with people holding up the 4 fingers 4 horsemen style....and good old Irv, many an evening I spent watching the news from across the lake...CFTO with Tom Gibney....thanks for the wayback Killion
Ya, Irv Weinstein was the anchor over there from like 1963~1998 . Long tenured. Retired to the San Diego area I believe. And of course the Commander Tom Show (Weatherman Tom Jolis) every afternoon from 1965-1993. Adventures of Superman (B&W - starring George Reeves who died rather mysteriously - great movie about it starring Ben Affleck & Adrien Brody called Hollywoodland, 2006) etc..... I cant recall whether it was that station or another that broadcast the odd Rangers game prior to 1970 when the Sabres arrived.

Last edited by Killion: 01-21-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old
01-21-2016, 07:42 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Ya, Irv Weinstein was the anchor over there from like 1963~1998 . Long tenured. Retired to the San Diego area I believe. And of course the Commander Tom Show (Weatherman Tom Jolis) every afternoon from 1965-1993. Adventures of Superman (B&W - starring George Reeves who died rather mysteriously - great moviemovier about it starring Ben

Affleck & Adrien Brody called Hollywoodland, 2006) etc..... I cant recall whether it was that station or another that broadcast the odd Rangers game prior to 1970 when the Sabres arrived.
Yea I don't know....rember it was bills bisons and sabres complete with sabre dance music when I was around.....I would think geographic wise rangers were technically closer

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2016, 09:23 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Ya, Irv Weinstein was the anchor over there from like 1963~1998 . Long tenured. Retired to the San Diego area I believe. And of course the Commander Tom Show (Weatherman Tom Jolis) every afternoon from 1965-1993. Adventures of Superman (B&W - starring George Reeves who died rather mysteriously - great movie about it starring Ben Affleck & Adrien Brody called Hollywoodland, 2006) etc..... I cant recall whether it was that station or another that broadcast the odd Rangers game prior to 1970 when the Sabres arrived.
Irv is alive and well and living in Irvine, CA

It's 11 PM - Do you know where your children are?

Old
01-22-2016, 09:25 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Irv is alive and well and living in Irvine, CA

It's 11 PM - Do you know where your children are?

a good childhood memory.

btw, the fires were always in North Tonawanda.

Old
01-24-2016, 01:53 AM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
Quote:
Jolls, not Jolis. Close though!

Eichel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2016, 02:16 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
^^^ classic. not so funny for Watson though.
Of course Watson wound up with the Bruins

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/02/02/ob...gers-dies.html

Old
01-24-2016, 11:40 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichel15 View Post
Jolls, not Jolis. Close though!
... ah yes, thanks, memory almost full, make mistakes.

Old
04-21-2017, 10:56 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

I know this is a super old thread, but as the Moynihan Station project continues to move forward and the fallout from the recent Penn Station meltdowns continue to brew, there was an interesting tweet this morning from a writer at Slate:

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:01 AM
GordonGecko
Custom User Title

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
I know this is a super old thread, but as the Moynihan Station project continues to move forward and the fallout from the recent Penn Station meltdowns continue to brew, there was an interesting tweet this morning from a writer at Slate:

This makes no sense to me, why would MSG/Rangers/Knicks want to move from "waterfront property" to second-block-away-from-waterfront property? And they just finished a $1B+ renovation like 4 years ago, they probably amortized that over 25+ years, and they're happy to move? say what?

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:06 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

I suspect that happiness would probably involve a pretty remarkable payout from the city that would allow them to construct a pretty spectacular new building.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:26 AM
GordonGecko
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
I suspect that happiness would probably involve a pretty remarkable payout from the city that would allow them to construct a pretty spectacular new building.
"Pretty remarkable" is right, as in a couple billion dollars as in nobody is going to let the government hand over anything close to that to MSG

Old
04-21-2017, 02:21 PM
patnyrnyg

Everyone who thinks MSG is moving to accommodate Penn Station is banking on a pipe dream. If the city/state tries to take it through eminent domain it will get tied up in court for years and that doesn't even get into the cost. If the city/state assessors try saying it is worth $1 less than what Dolan's people say it is worth, then that will get tied up in court.

This was an idea brought up by Christine Quinn while trying to get the Democrat nomination for the NYC Mayoral vote. She was crushed and talk of this was over. The idea of "returning Penn Station to it's former glory..." is ridiculous. Making it "nice" and a tourist destination is dumb. As someone who has been in Penn Station many times during rush hour, last thing you need is tourists and people hanging out there shopping.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:32 PM
garnetpalmetto
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Everyone who thinks MSG is moving to accommodate Penn Station is banking on a pipe dream. If the city/state tries to take it through eminent domain it will get tied up in court for years and that doesn't even get into the cost. If the city/state assessors try saying it is worth $1 less than what Dolan's people say it is worth, then that will get tied up in court.

This was an idea brought up by Christine Quinn while trying to get the Democrat nomination for the NYC Mayoral vote. She was crushed and talk of this was over. The idea of "returning Penn Station to it's former glory..." is ridiculous. Making it "nice" and a tourist destination is dumb. As someone who has been in Penn Station many times during rush hour, last thing you need is tourists and people hanging out there shopping.
What about tourists coming in on Amtrak who'd like their first impression of NYC to be something other than a basement of MSG? As Dr. Vincent Scully famously wrote "One entered the city like a god. One scuttles in now like a rat."

04-21-2017, 02:46 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
What about tourists coming in on Amtrak who'd like their first impression of NYC to be something other than a basement of MSG? As Dr. Vincent Scully famously wrote "One entered the city like a god. One scuttles in now like a rat."
1929 says high. Most tourists are flying in and if those coming in by train allow Penn Station to ruin their trip, it is on them. What is a NICE Penn Station going to change? When I arrive in an airport, I don't care if it is "nice" or a basement of an arena. All i want to do is get a cab and get to my hotel. How many billions of dollars should the city/state pay so tourists arriving by train have a better impression of Penn Station?

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 04:53 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
This makes no sense to me, why would MSG/Rangers/Knicks want to move from "waterfront property" to second-block-away-from-waterfront property? And they just finished a $1B+ renovation like 4 years ago, they probably amortized that over 25+ years, and they're happy to move? say what?
The difference from being on Penn Station or right across the street from it (connected with a tunnel or two, I'd bet) is irrelevant to the Dolans. They've showed some openness to that before. However, they would need their costs covered and their tax break maintained at the new site (it's attached to the current building and site), otherwise it's see you in court. But if you want to move MSG, you can move MSG. Just gotta cough up a billion and a half bucks or so to build a brand new arena. That's always been an option, Quinn wanted to claim one of the most valuable pieces of real estate in New York without paying for it, and that was never gonna happen. But if you pay for it with a land swap and a few very large bags of cash, it's yours.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:04 PM
aqib

Didn't they put this to bed by giving up the theater?

aqib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:50 PM
GordonGecko
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Didn't they put this to bed by giving up the theater?
MSG & the State did come to an agreement.But like every 10 year plan it never stays the same, wouldn't be surprised to see that idiot Cuomo get kicked out of office by someone else with completely different plans

Old
04-21-2017, 09:06 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
MSG & the State did come to an agreement.But like every 10 year plan it never stays the same, wouldn't be surprised to see that idiot Cuomo get kicked out of office by someone else with completely different plans
Rangers to Belmont!

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote