HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anything Goes 7: RIP Roger Ebert

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 03:47 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
What I was referring to earlier, just saw it on TWC's home page... 105 degree difference.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:05 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
What I was referring to earlier, just saw it on TWC's home page... 105 degree difference.

WTF????

Wow, I do remember February/March seeming unseasonably warm last year and now it's insanely cold this year, so annoying.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Callidusblackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
WTF????

Wow, I do remember February/March seeming unseasonably warm last year and now it's insanely cold this year, so annoying.
Yeah last winter was very warm i remember. It would be sub 30 for like 1 day and then 60 the next 3. I think we got about 5 inches of snow throughout the whole winter.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Hawkey39

When and if I get a MacBook I want to buy a black case with the apple logo still exposed. I want to buy flash gels and place it between the case and the computer and over the logo so it will glow say green or red.

These are flash gels btw.
http://www.enchantingkerala.org/digi...hotography.php

Old
03-20-2013, 06:58 PM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

In the middle of a Fantasy Baseball draft that started with no time limit between picks on Friday. Two idiots in the league keep taking anywhere from 8-24 hours to make one pick. At this rate we will be done by the All Star Break. So annoying...

Old
03-20-2013, 07:09 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 695
Alright, now to play Starcraft 2 on a computer that can actually run it.

eeeeeeeeee

EDIT: Er.... scratch that, guess there's a ****load of updates that need to be done first.

Oh well, might get a mission or two in before the game.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:36 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

got told by boss early today i will not have to start going back and forth to asia again. my job is going to stay in toronto. this is such a relief...i'd mentally decided that if i had to start going back and forth again i'd quit my job instead. don't get me wrong...i don't hate asia or anything like that...but a toronto to beijing or hong kong flight is about 14.5 hrs each way...and i couldn't stomach doing that multiple times per month. it's hard to put into words how difficult not only the travel but the time change gets to be when you're doing it frequently.

on a different note, i finally got an ipad (my work/life is such i've been fine with a laptop). something that drives me crazy is my inability to work on word documents on an ipad. are there any apps where i can open a word document on my ipad and edit it as i could from my laptop? i have gotomypc - but have never tried to access that program from an ipad...does anyone know if you can use gotomypc from an ipad to work on word docs?

Old
03-20-2013, 10:38 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Just something to get me through October, then I'll be switching career paths. Actually, next week is my last full regular week. After that, I'll only be working 2-3 hours a day in the office, max, and maybe come in on a Friday or Saturday for a half day or something.

Problem is, my boss = owner, so anytime he sees stuff like that he takes it way too personal. He is also the kind of guy who goes and buys stuff at Costco, and will resell it under our company name, regardless of what it is, if he can MAYBE make $5. He literally bought luggage the other day at Costco for $500, and put it on our fabric website for $475. All the guy ever does is try to make a quick buck here or there, regardless of where he is or how he can do it.
what is your career path transition? always scary to do!

Old
03-21-2013, 10:21 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Considering how much time I wasted at work yesterday when I could've actually been productive just toying around with the new settings on my new machine, deciding to just continue bringing my old laptop into the office to goof off with during downtimes, as I know my productivity would plummet if I brought the new machine in.

And let me tell you this.... this old thing feels like a relic compared to my new one!

Old
03-21-2013, 10:25 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
what is your career path transition? always scary to do!
Get into the sports science field, with an emphasis on strength and conditioning.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:45 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
got told by boss early today i will not have to start going back and forth to asia again. my job is going to stay in toronto. this is such a relief...i'd mentally decided that if i had to start going back and forth again i'd quit my job instead. don't get me wrong...i don't hate asia or anything like that...but a toronto to beijing or hong kong flight is about 14.5 hrs each way...and i couldn't stomach doing that multiple times per month. it's hard to put into words how difficult not only the travel but the time change gets to be when you're doing it frequently.

on a different note, i finally got an ipad (my work/life is such i've been fine with a laptop). something that drives me crazy is my inability to work on word documents on an ipad. are there any apps where i can open a word document on my ipad and edit it as i could from my laptop? i have gotomypc - but have never tried to access that program from an ipad...does anyone know if you can use gotomypc from an ipad to work on word docs?
You can use GoToMyPC on an iPad. In regards to the other question, you can't edit Microsoft office documents on an iPad. You can only view them.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Cullksinikers

I know I'm not the only one streaming college basketball when I'm supposed to be working on something or paying attention.

Ha!

Old
03-21-2013, 02:03 PM
RayP

Not here, then again doubt I'd stream it anyway, would probably just stream a radio station as usual. Been beyond swamped all day, although that's not a complaint. Day has flown by... can't wait to GTFO here and get a workout in. Then maybe watch some hoops after that if none of the hockey games look like they're worth watching.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Cullksinikers

I want to punch this woman in the bridge of the nose.

Read the below article. Imagine if you got fired from your job for making a joke at a football game, someone overheard you, and complained.

http://www.dailydot.com/society/pyco...dria-richards/

Old
03-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Cullksinikers

She can suck my dongle.

Mods: This is not to avoid the filter. Read the article to understand first. Thank you.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:00 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
That's really ****ed up, shame on her. However, where there is despair, there is sometimes hope, and in this case, there is. Click on the link in that article and there is a campaign by a bunch of hackers to get her fired and put her company out of business or at least make them suffer lost business.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:20 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Uh.... what? She barely did anything wrong. She reported someone making a weak sexual joke, and then the event staffers and their employers were the ones that went way overboard in kicking them out and firing them.

She was just a bit oversensitive, big whoop. If we're going to get mad at everyone that takes offense at the slightest thing, we'd be here all day.

Plus, people raging at her online and trying to get her fired are infinitely more in the wrong than she was.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:30 PM
coldsteelonice84

I don't know, IMO, this is a lesson in minding your own business she'll never forget and she really needs it if she is taking pictures of people and reporting them for saying "dongle". The whole thing is ****ed up, agreed on that, but this is her thing that she created by herself by doing harm to another. I can't feel bad for her.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:35 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I don't know, IMO, this is a lesson in minding your own business she'll never forget and she really needs it if she is taking pictures of people and reporting them for saying "dongle". The whole thing is ****ed up, agreed on that, but this is her thing that she created by herself by doing harm to another. I can't feel bad for her.
In what way? She didn't force the event staff to kick them out or their employers to fire them. She just didn't want a couple guys next to her cracking jokes during a talk, so she used Twitter to contact event organizers to complain, which is apparently something they pay attention to and is done as otherwise nothing would've come from it.

And the reaction is ridiculous and entirely misplaced. Even if you think she acted entirely in the wrong (which she didn't, btw, as highlighted that apparently any form of sexual jokes were against the conference's code of conduct), the notion that you wouldn't feel bad for her for getting violent threats and her company getting spammed so hard that they fired her to alleviate the pressure is ridiculous.

A bit of an overreaction. If anything, people should be ticked at the event and for their employers for being so petty that they booted attendees and fired employees for a couple of wisecracks.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:40 PM
RayP

Her complaint is valid, the way she went about complaining was absolutely ridiculous. That sums it in a sentence if you ask me.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Uh.... what? She barely did anything wrong. She reported someone making a weak sexual joke, and then the event staffers and their employers were the ones that went way overboard in kicking them out and firing them.

She was just a bit oversensitive, big whoop. If we're going to get mad at everyone that takes offense at the slightest thing, we'd be here all day.

Plus, people raging at her online and trying to get her fired are infinitely more in the wrong than she was.
Big whoop? A family of five lost one of, if not the only, person bringing in income to put food on the table because she can't take a joke... that she wasn't part of in the first place!

Old
03-21-2013, 03:41 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Big whoop? A family of five lost one of, if not the only, person bringing in income to put food on the table because she can't take a joke... that she wasn't part of in the first place!
Except what they were joking about was against the conventions rules... for a convention that is trying to attract more females to it in the first place.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:41 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
No, a family of five lost one of, if not the only, person bringing in income to put food on the table because that person's employer fired someone because they heard they were cracking jokes at a conference.

The anger should be at the employer for firing an employee for such little cause.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 03-21-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old
03-21-2013, 03:44 PM
RayP

Quote:
No, a family of five lost one of, if not the only, person bringing in income to put food on the table because that person's employee fired someone because they heard they were cracking jokes at a conference.

The anger should be at the employer for firing an employee for such little cause.
Yeah, I'm pretty shocked he got canned for that. Also seems like they did it pretty immediately, which was extra surprising. At most places I don't think that's more than a slap on the wrist, and few day suspension without pay at the most. To get fired over it though? Sheesh.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:46 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
In what way? She didn't force the event staff to kick them out or their employees to fire them. She just didn't want a couple guys next to her cracking jokes during a talk, so she used Twitter to contact event organizers to complain, which is apparently something they pay attention to and is done as otherwise nothing would've come from it.

And the reaction is ridiculous and entirely misplaced. Even if you think she acted entirely in the wrong (which she didn't, btw, as highlighted that apparently any form of sexual jokes were against the conference's code of conduct), the notion that you wouldn't feel bad for her for getting violent threats and her company getting spammed so hard that they fired her to alleviate the pressure is ridiculous.

A bit of an overreaction. If anything, people should be ticked at the event and for their employers for being so petty that they booted attendees and fired employees for a couple of wisecracks.
Maybe I'm old fashioned but what ever happened to turning around and saying "Hey, do you mind not talking during the event? I'm trying to listen" as opposed to your first action being going CIA spy hunter trying to get the authorities to act on these people who weren't even being leud. And now some people, also wrong and overreacting, are exacting the same type of harm on her. But it can't be settled with conversation for the guy who doesn't have a job because of what she did. The whole thing is sad and discouraging, no question about it, but I am most disgusted with the way she handled the situation because that's where it started. There are about 100 other ways she could have handled it, first and foremost not taking a picture of these guys without even confronting them about it.

Closed Thread