HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Anything Goes 7: RIP Roger Ebert

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

vCash: 500
Damn this thread is moving as fast as GDT's. Am impressed.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:03 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
My dad lives in Evanston, so he usually takes a trip up to Touhy and Lehigh to go to Fresh Farms for his kimchi. I can't really vouch for its quality, but I do know he always has a giant jar of it in the fridge.

Another thing we were surprised to find at Fresh Farms, a Romanian spread called zacusca. My girlfriend's Romanian, and her mom makes zacusca pretty often. When the GF met the family, she brought some two jars of her mom's stuff, and they were both gone within days. Finding it at Fresh Farms saved us a lot of trouble in trying to get it from just over the Canadian border.

Can't help with owners who don't speak English though. That sucks.

Had never heard of it, but after a Google search, that zacusca sounds pretty damn good.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Yeah, it's a shame you guys can't get good shrimp or good crawfish. There isn't anything better than pulling up the sleeves, and getting dirty with some crawfish and others in a low country boil. Crawfish, crab legs, andouille sausage, shrimp, clams, corn, potatoes, and just dump it all on some newspapers and get at it.
You just described a trip to Joe's Crab Shack.

I was skeptical when we went, but I can't deny that I enjoyed it.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:04 PM
RayP

Quote:
I terrified of cooking fish (even though its my favorite meat) because I'm paranoid about its freshness, so I definitely care.
Just give it a go, man!

You can find a recipe to bake pretty much any fish, to make it a little easier. That's how I started with it, before I moved to the stovetop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
You might be impressed, but my boss isn't.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:05 PM
RayP

Quote:

Last one was did was divisional round of NFL playoffs. This was the first of about 3 batches we did throughout the entire day. So ****ing good.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:05 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Yeah, it's a shame you guys can't get good shrimp or good crawfish. There isn't anything better than pulling up the sleeves, and getting dirty with some crawfish and others in a low country boil. Crawfish, crab legs, andouille sausage, shrimp, clams, corn, potatoes, and just dump it all on some newspapers and get at it.
That's what I'm talkin' about!

Old
03-06-2013, 03:06 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:

Yeah, I hit one up in C-bus last year when I went for the Hawks game. Girl and I got one of those giant hurricane's too, good place.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:08 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, it's sad too because I am nothing like that and I am sure a lot of you guys are the same. Maybe it will change, doubt it though. More likely than not, the little shrimp shacks will close down and we'll all be ****ed out of our shrimp entirely.

That's fine, I'll go to DiCola's on Western and cook the little mother****er's myself, or have them do it, either way. Love that place.
DiCola's is fantastic as well, but again, very expensive. Damn near everything their is frozen and thawed out. That's not as bad as it sounds, as certain types of fish freeze well. This just isn't a good place for quality seafood.

Farm raised is another misnomer that people get hung up on. "Fresh" catfish is really hit or miss. They breathe through their skin, so if pulled from muddy lakes they taste muddy. Farm catfish is consistently quality.

Crawfish is like shrimp in that it doesn't last long fresh, but unlike it doesn't freeze well at all. It's only decent in areas they're found. It's on my list of foods to try.

Last edited by DisgruntledHawkFan: 03-06-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old
03-06-2013, 03:11 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
DiCola's is fantastic as well, but again, very expensive. Damn near everything their is frozen and thawed out. That's not as bad as it sounds, as certain types of fish freezes well. This just isn't a good place for quality seafood.

Farm raised is another misnomer that people get hung up on. "Fresh" catfish is really hit or miss. They breathe through their skin, so if pulled from muddy lakes they taste muddy. Farm catfish is consistently quality.

Crawfish is like shrimp in that it doesn't last long fresh, but unlike it doesn't freeze well at all. It's only decent in areas they're found. It's on my list of foods to try.
Crawfish are tricky little ******. As soon as they die, their meat/muscles start to spoil immediately. You have to cook them alive, and if you're not eating them right then, you have to shock them in an ice bath. Even by us we don't get fresh crawfish, the stuff we get is already cooked, shocked in an ice bath, and then sent to us. It's still great, but no where near the real deal. You also have to make sure they're purged properly, otherwise like catfish, it will taste like you're eating mud.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
Never underestimate a conversation about food amongst Chicagoans.

Definitely starting to get some funny looks from my coworkers though.

Quote:
Just give it a go, man!

You can find a recipe to bake pretty much any fish, to make it a little easier. That's how I started with it, before I moved to the stovetop.
At this point, I'm thinking I just have to dive in. No pun intended.

There are some fresh fish markets here in NYC, so after work one day, I'm just going to go down there and pick some up. I'll probably freak out so much about getting it home fresh that I'll cook it at my friend's place (way closer to the market).

Hopefully after that I'll get more comfortable with it.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:13 PM
coldsteelonice84

Usually I pick up jumbo shrimp and crab legs from DiCola's to bring home then pick something different for them to fry up for me to munch on. Frozen or not, their cocktail shrimp are just out of this world, take a bite of those and i'm doing the ****ing moon walk on my way out of the store.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:18 PM
RayP

Quote:

There are some fresh fish markets here in NYC, so after work one day, I'm just going to go down there and pick some up. I'll probably freak out so much about getting it home fresh that I'll cook it at my friend's place (way closer to the market).

Most markets will pack the fish with some ice, so you'll be fine if you have a long way home from there.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:24 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:

If you're just starting out, go with Halibut, Tilapia or Cod. Halibut is easily the best of those three, but all three keep well and are solid white fishes in case the girlfriend/friends aren't too huge on seafood. Leave the Perch/Salmon/Catfish for when you've got a bit more comfort-ability and are around people that really enjoy fish.

Like me. Cook me fish.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:24 PM
RayP

Sevanston, look for some fresh halibut. That's one of my personal favorites, and they're found in the NE Atlanta & Pacific waters. Although I couldn't tell you which region produces better halibut, I just know it's more sustainable in the Pacific waters, for some reason.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:25 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Crawfish are tricky little ******. As soon as they die, their meat/muscles start to spoil immediately. You have to cook them alive, and if you're not eating them right then, you have to shock them in an ice bath. Even by us we don't get fresh crawfish, the stuff we get is already cooked, shocked in an ice bath, and then sent to us. It's still great, but no where near the real deal. You also have to make sure they're purged properly, otherwise like catfish, it will taste like you're eating mud.
Same with shrimp. They're flash frozen immediately after being hauled off the boats.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:26 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Sevanston, look for some fresh halibut. That's one of my personal favorites, and they're found in the NE Atlanta & Pacific waters. Although I couldn't tell you which region produces better halibut, I just know it's more sustainable in the Pacific waters, for some reason.
We just had a moment.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:26 PM
RayP

Quote:
If you're just starting out, go with Halibut, Tilapia or Cod. Halibut is easily the best of those three, but all three keep well and are solid white fishes in case the girlfriend/friends aren't too huge on seafood. Leave the Perch/Salmon/Catfish for when you've got a bit more comfort-ability and are around people that really enjoy fish.

Like me. Cook me fish.
I wouldn't even bother with fresh tilapia or cod. They're so mass produced you can get some good quality that was pretty much caught, filleted, and frozen in minutes. Me personally, I pass on catfish, but it's worth getting if you just want fried fish.

Salmon isn't too bad for a beginner. You can bake it at 425-450 for 12 minutes, uncovered, for a medium piece of salmon. I like mine a little more cooked, and at 15 minutes, perfect every time.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:28 PM
coldsteelonice84

Yeah, I think Ray said to try baked fish first. That's a breeze. Then you can move on to sauteing. But I would just get some and experiment, you'll figure it out. As long as you stay by the pan, you're all good. I like to turn on the radio, get everything ready, then just throw it in. It's more fun than cooking steak IMO, quicker too.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:28 PM
RayP

Quote:
Same with shrimp. They're flash frozen immediately after being hauled off the boats.
Yeah, problem with shrimp is, frozen shrimp sucks. A frozen filet of fish is fine more often than not.

We have a place down here that it sounds like you would love. It's like a seafood version of Ruth's Chris. Absolutely incredible, but pricey.

Quote:
We just had a moment.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:31 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Last one was did was divisional round of NFL playoffs. This was the first of about 3 batches we did throughout the entire day. So ****ing good.

You make me want to come down to Atlanta just to eat your food.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:33 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
You make me want to come down to Atlanta just to eat your food.
Come down before we move into our tiny studio, then. Current house has a spare bedroom with a flat screen mounted on the wall and a dorm fridge stocked with beer. Also have 4 bars I can walk to in less than 5 minutes from the house, and less than 15 on the way back.

Old
Sevanston

Quote:

Like me. Cook me fish.
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I'll show the results when I do finally go for it.

And I'll cook for you, but only after there's been plenty of alcohol flowing.

Old
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

I'm bookmarking this thread for future viewings. So many ideas to foist upon my girlfriend (I can't cook for ****).

Old
03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Come down before we move into our tiny studio, then. Current house has a spare bedroom with a flat screen mounted on the wall and a dorm fridge stocked with beer. Also have 4 bars I can walk to in less than 5 minutes from the house, and less than 15 on the way back.
Spring Break is on Friday...

Old
03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

Quote:
When are you moving? I seriously want to fly down.

Closed Thread