HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation III: No, Really, What's the BIGGEST Problem?

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 04:49 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
I don't give a **** about how many points our players produce if we win.

Just win when it matters and we could have a team of 50 pt scrubs for all I care.
same, the nices teams to watch and most consistent are the ones that get contributions from every player on the roster, MTL is a text book example of this.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:52 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
pretty sure that ship has sailed already
Wouldn't be so sure of that...plenty of examples of a player returning "home" after a stint with another team. Mike Grier being a recent example on the Sabres itself.

Unless you are referring to Tallinder's ability to play hockey...in which case I might agree. He needs to prove he can be healthy and contribute...which he's not been able to do.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:17 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Wouldn't be so sure of that...plenty of examples of a player returning "home" after a stint with another team. Mike Grier being a recent example on the Sabres itself.

Unless you are referring to Tallinder's ability to play hockey...in which case I might agree. He needs to prove he can be healthy and contribute...which he's not been able to do.
I have a shiny nickel that says Tallinder ends up wherever Ruff coaches next.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:27 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

i want greg zanon. mainly as a bottom pairing defensive dman and well because of this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...5838--nhl.html

Old
03-08-2013, 10:56 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
I don't give a **** about how many points our players produce if we win.

Just win when it matters and we could have a team of 50 pt scrubs for all I care.
Since when are any 50 pt. players ever considered scrubs? Not in the NHL they're not. In the NHL 50 pt. players are considered pretty good.

And since points convert to wins... The more guys getting points the better chance your team has of winning. Therefore points matter. That's nice you don't care about points players get. 99.999% of other fans do.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:58 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

To add to the discussion....

I think Pomms could be a top line player on a winning team; and yes, he already has. I believe the issue is that when Pomms was THAT top RW'er on a President Trophy winning team, he was a complimentary piece. That team had two bonifide leaders in Drury and Briere and a guy like Grier also on the team. There is not a veteran guy on the Sabres right now (maybe Ott) that can compare with those 3, and by that I mean leadership, clutch and production.

Whatever you want to call it, when Drury/Briere were on the ice, they had a look in their eye, they directed traffic, they plain and simple led. Pomms is not that guy, and never will be. NOW, Pomms on Crosby or Malkin's wing would put up ridiculous numbers points wise and be probably Pittsburgh's best two way player. BUT HE IS NOT CAPTAIN MATERIAL ON A CONTENDING TEAM.

Vanek doesn't have it.
I don't see it in Ennis.
Hodgson the jury is still out.
Foligno and Grigs are too young to tell.
Stafford doesn't have it.
Myers doesn't have it.
Sekera doesn't have it.
Gerbe has it but is just too damn small.
Kaleta is a punk.
Ott's the type but I'd prefer him to have an "A" not the "C"
Ernhoff's play speaks for itself but I don't know about the vocal leader part. Good team guy though.

So my input is that Darcy assembled a team of individual skill but doesn't get what it takes to win. He has shown the lack of identification three times now in his tenure. 1. Peca. 2. Drury/Briere. 3. It's been over five years since they left and he has not brought in a character/skill/leader in to give the team that identity.

Epic fail by Regier. I hope with Ruff being outed, that Black/Pegula realize this and over the summer address it. We will never win with this core.

We will never win with this core.

I will also point out that this above post was written a few years ago too. Epic fail.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post

Vanek doesn't have it.
I don't see it in Ennis.
Myers doesn't have it.
Sekera doesn't have it.
Kaleta is a punk.
Ernhoff's play speaks for itself but I don't know about the vocal leader part. Good team guy though.
Hodgson has shown that he will be a very good player in this league, anyone who can identify talent will tell you that. Myers is a 23 year old defenceman who has been a top pair guy for us for 4 years and will only get better..but he doesn't have it most 23 year old blueliners are just getting a sniff of the NHL. Sekera is a realiable top 4 guy on a nice contract, steady player. Vanek is a top 15 winger in the NHL and has been for nearly a decade but he doesn't have it...

Old
03-09-2013, 01:17 AM
schpaff

Quote:
To add to the discussion....

I think Pomms could be a top line player on a winning team; and yes, he already has. I believe the issue is that when Pomms was THAT top RW'er on a President Trophy winning team, he was a complimentary piece. That team had two bonifide leaders in Drury and Briere and a guy like Grier also on the team. There is not a veteran guy on the Sabres right now (maybe Ott) that can compare with those 3, and by that I mean leadership, clutch and production.

Whatever you want to call it, when Drury/Briere were on the ice, they had a look in their eye, they directed traffic, they plain and simple led. Pomms is not that guy, and never will be. NOW, Pomms on Crosby or Malkin's wing would put up ridiculous numbers points wise and be probably Pittsburgh's best two way player. BUT HE IS NOT CAPTAIN MATERIAL ON A CONTENDING TEAM.

Vanek doesn't have it.
I don't see it in Ennis.
Myers doesn't have it.
Sekera doesn't have it.
Kaleta is a punk.

So my input is that Darcy assembled a team of individual skill but doesn't get what it takes to win. He has shown the lack of identification three times now in his tenure. 1. Peca. 2. Drury/Briere. 3. It's been over five years since they left and he has not brought in a character/skill/leader in to give the team that identity.

Epic fail by Regier. I hope with Ruff being outed, that Black/Pegula realize this and over the summer address it. We will never win with this core.

We will never win with this core.

I will also point out that this above post was written a few years ago too. Epic fail.

Fire Lindy!!

Old
03-09-2013, 03:32 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Hodgson has shown that he will be a very good player in this league, anyone who can identify talent will tell you that. Myers is a 23 year old defenceman who has been a top pair guy for us for 4 years and will only get better..but he doesn't have it most 23 year old blueliners are just getting a sniff of the NHL. Sekera is a realiable top 4 guy on a nice contract, steady player. Vanek is a top 15 winger in the NHL and has been for nearly a decade but he doesn't have it...
One year and a half total

Old
03-09-2013, 06:56 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
And you totally missed my point.

It isn't about production, it's abut a combination of character/skill/leadership. Vanek IS a top 15 player...I agree but he is not, nor has he shown himself to be the guy to take over the leadership of the team.

Just as a FYI, there are guys around the NHL that took over the "C" under 25 and have succeeded, it's not about age, it's about what's inside, that drive, that winning attitude....Towes, Crosby, Brown, and then look at the reports about ROR...like I said CoHo the jury is still out but Myers doesn't have that leadership look, no matter how long he plays in this league. I guess I see Myers lacking confidence, lacking physical play, lacking a killer instinct, so I don't think he will ever lead this team.

Again, not slamming anyone for just "skill" level, I agree with you about Myers, Vanek, Sekera and CoHo but my assensment was about the intangibles that Peca/Drury/Briere/Patty Lafontaine brought to the team....I don't see a player on the Sabres that brings those leadership/winners mentality on the Sabres....indivual, complimentary guys.

We need a real leader

Old
03-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Prospector74

Quote:
We need a real leader
I agree a Mark Messier would be great for the team. I think Darcy has tried in that arena (e.g. Doan) but those guys don't grow on trees. The question is, has he tried enough/done everything possible?

Looking back over the past 2 years, what/who would you have traded to bring in a specific player that meets your requirements and yet left the team roster filled out with enough talent to compete. Curious to see if there were possible (and realistic) moves that we feel Darcy did not execute based on what he had available to work with.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Since when are any 50 pt. players ever considered scrubs? Not in the NHL they're not. In the NHL 50 pt. players are considered pretty good.

And since points convert to wins... The more guys getting points the better chance your team has of winning. Therefore points matter. That's nice you don't care about points players get. 99.999% of other fans do.
Look at a team like St. Louis, a smart system with the right players that is executed well doesn't need a team of stars to be good. Their highest scorers had 54 points. They had the best record in a much harder division than ours. Don't tell me having more points lead to winning, look at Washington if you want proof of that. The past 2 Cup winners have been team's that have been a team that score by committee and play a team game.

So like I said, I don't care if our team is a bunch of grinders, if they can win important games then they can be tweeners for all I care. Sorry if that irks you.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:17 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Yeah, I'd much rather outfit the team with competent depth and role players and create the proper foundation for our prospects to develop on than trade what talent is here and hope to suck more for top picks.

It's completely inexcusable that our checking center has played 20 games down the middle prior to this season and our "future franchise defenseman" was stuck with ****ing AHL fodder 2 years ago. **** like that is exactly why we are where we are. Well that, and Lindy Ruff.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:31 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Pomms for Yandle ... straight up hockey trade

then move leopold and others for picks.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:36 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post

And why is Phoenix doing that?

Old
03-09-2013, 08:59 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
And why is Phoenix doing that?
top line winger, who would lead the team in goals and scoring. He brings leadership which they have in doan but might be a nice transition from doan to to pomms. Pho doesn't have a real weapon outside of doan. They have gormley waiting in the wings and rundblad as well. You trade from position of strength to address a area of weakness. And salaries are very close so coyotes are not adding much more salary.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:06 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
top line winger, who would lead the team in goals and scoring. He brings leadership which they have in doan but might be a nice transition from doan to to pomms. Pho doesn't have a real weapon outside of doan. They have gormley waiting in the wings and rundblad as well. You trade from position of strength to address a area of weakness. And salaries are very close so coyotes are not adding much more salary.
Doan isn't that much older than Pominville. If they want to get younger, think 25 not 30.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:32 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
He's 6 years older. That's almost half a career.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Doan isn't that much older than Pominville. If they want to get younger, think 25 not 30.
In the time it would take Poms to reach Doans age we will have won the cup twice and burnt down Lackawana. Still don't think yotes do it unless it's for someone younger but the contract is good. They have any cap dumps we could buyout?

Old
03-10-2013, 08:41 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:

Yes, make MORE holes on this team.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:25 AM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

I'm not sure we are on the same page. We are adding a franchise defensemen who is young to play on a very bad defense, yandle would add stability to a shaky core. We create a decent hole where poms was but having regehr, hecht, leopold all off the books makes it easier for us to take a run at a replacement like perry, semin, or horton.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:19 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Would rather target a solid defensive d-man than another puck-moving/offensive type.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Yes, make MORE holes on this team.
I am lost here, we have more of a need for Yandle than we do Pominville.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Would rather target a solid defensive d-man than another puck-moving/offensive type.
agreed, Yandles offensive numbers skew how he's viewed around the league imo. He has the worst QoC of regular Yotes D men. Not a guy you play against top players, or when the games on the line.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:35 PM
sabresandcanucks

Guys,

Moving Vanek, Pommers, or Miller just for the sake of "rebuilding" is a sure way to become a Florida or Columbus. I am not adverse to moving any of the above, but it has to make sense for this team and involve bringing back bonafide talent. Vanek and Pommers are very good forwards and Miller is a great goaltender...It will be very hard to find replacements for those players.

We have too many players being asked to play roles they are not ready for.

Grigs should be in Quebec
Myers should be getting sheltered minutes, not top pairing minutes. To be honest, we lack a D man who seems able to handle any type of top pairing minutes on a consistent basis (maybe Sekera? I don't believe he has that type of upside).
Hodgson and Ennis are not ready to be top line centers despite their offensive flash.
Folingo, one could argue is not ready to play top 6 minutes

Vanek is an elite forward
Pommers is a very solid two way forward who can score
Miller is a solid number one goalie

Be careful you don't trade away your "sure things" for potential that may not pan out.

Closed Thread