HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation III: No, Really, What's the BIGGEST Problem?

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2013, 08:14 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54
Kevin Allen - Trade buzz surrounds these 10 NHL teams:
Quote:
Buffalo Sabres: The organization still clings to hope that it can climb back in the Eastern Conference race. But presuming that won't happen, teams will have interest in potential free agent defensemen Jordan Leopold and Robyn Regehr. Forward Jochen Hecht would draw interest as a veteran role player.
Nothing new there.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Karate Johnson*
Zemgus is my Copilot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
Last I checked, Lundqvist hasn't won a Cup by himself or the Rangers. Could be argued the Rangers have had a better roster in front of him than Miller too.

I'd rather keep Miller. Not looking forward to 3 years of Leggio or Enroth or whatever vet we can pull off the scrap heap.
How much worse can we get? There is nothing below last

Old
03-13-2013, 08:41 AM
skibum

No goalie is perfect, and we are fortunate to have a very good one. I don't see how trading Miller would improve the team. Our defense is so sketchy that we need a worldbeater between the pipes every night.

Enroth has been more bad than good lately, so it would seem that any Miller trade would have to include a decent goalie. That would then reduce the quality of any skater(s) or draft picks that might be included in the deal.

I just don't want to see a repeat of the Roy deal, where one really good player is exchanged for two lesser ones. We need a legitimate star player in return.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I think there are better guys out there we should target over Couturier.

If we move Miller and Pominville I want back a Colin Wilson-type player and a solid goaltender.

And I also wont to add speed as a weapon to our roster. Hall, Grabner or Hagelin come to mind. All three of them can produce there chances out of nowhere just because of their speed.

I also would deal Stafford at deadline for as much as possible (possibly a late first round pick?)

Leino gets his last chance as a sabre because of his horrible contract. If he plays good, deal him as soon as possible. If he remains sucking, waive him or buy him aut and callup girgs.

Next year:

Vanek - Hodgson - Armia
Leino - Wilson - Ennis
Foligno - Grigorenko - Grabner
Tropp - Ott - Kaleta

Weber - Ehrhoff
McNabb - Myers
Sekera - Regehr
Pysyk

Enroth
solid goaltender
Maarakov
You'd rather have Colin Wilson, than Sean Couturier

:headscratcher:

Old
03-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Would you guys do Myers for Couturier?
in a ****ing millisecond

I'd add if I had to (I'd add Ennis, and say THANK YOU VERY MUCH!)

I'd take that horrid Bryz contract if I had to

Couturier is a ****ing stud. Playing shutdown minutes in the playoffs at 18 yrs old... that's Jordan Staal type ****.

There are certain types of players you need to win... Couturier is one those types.

He's struggling in his sophmore year... but im not the least bit worried about it.

He's going to be a shutdown center that can contribute as an offensive 2nd line center as well.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Karate Johnson*
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
No goalie is perfect, and we are fortunate to have a very good one. I don't see how trading Miller would improve the team. Our defense is so sketchy that we need a worldbeater between the pipes every night.

Enroth has been more bad than good lately, so it would seem that any Miller trade would have to include a decent goalie. That would then reduce the quality of any skater(s) or draft picks that might be included in the deal.

I just don't want to see a repeat of the Roy deal, where one really good player is exchanged for two lesser ones. We need a legitimate star player in return.

Miller or no Miller, we aren't making the playoffs this year or next year.

After that Miller is gone. His contract is up, all his friends will have been traded or bought out, his coach and GM will be gone and the team will be rebuilding as he's approaching the end of his career....

There is no point in keeping Miller for a final lame duck season an then getting nothing for him hen he walks out the door in 2014.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:37 AM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
in a ****ing millisecond

I'd add if I had to (I'd add Ennis, and say THANK YOU VERY MUCH!)

I'd take that horrid Bryz contract if I had to

Couturier is a ****ing stud. Playing shutdown minutes in the playoffs at 18 yrs old... that's Jordan Staal type ****.

There are certain types of players you need to win... Couturier is one those types.

He's struggling in his sophmore year... but im not the least bit worried about it.

He's going to be a shutdown center that can contribute as an offensive 2nd line center as well.
Myers has as good of chance if not better to become a top pair defenceman than couturier does of becoming a high impact 2 way center. We have no one in our organization that has top pair potential but a pretty well stocked up the middle and will likely add to that this draft. Couturier is a good player but not at the expense of Myers.

Ennis + Myers for Couturier? Lol

Old
03-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Myers has as good of chance if not better to become a top pair defenceman than couturier does of becoming a high impact 2 way center. We have no one in our organization that has top pair potential but a pretty well stocked up the middle and will likely add to that this draft. Couturier is a good player but not at the expense of Myers.

Ennis + Myers for Couturier? Lol
no I wouldn't do + Myers

But, I would do Miller + Ennis+(something) for Couturier + Bryzgalov

Old
03-13-2013, 09:48 AM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:

I would do that, wouldnt move Myers right now though

Edit: no thanks on Bryz contract

Old
03-13-2013, 09:55 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
no I wouldn't do + Myers

Aren't you a proponent of the lesser-paid goalie + stud defense model? Bryz would fly right in the face of it, esp given the length of the contract. I'd think you'd want the guy whose contract will be up sooner than dishing out the big bucks for a long time.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I would do that, wouldnt move Myers right now though

Edit: no thanks on Bryz contract
Quote:
Originally Posted by clumping platelets View Post
Why would you want Bryz's contract??
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Aren't you a proponent of the lesser-paid goalie + stud defense model? Bryz would fly right in the face of it, esp given the length of the contract. I'd think you'd want the guy whose contract will be up sooner than dishing out the big bucks for a long time.
I would take the Bryz contract because i think it has negative value and makes the trade more fair.

I would buy out Bryz with Pegula bucks

Old
03-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Lloydchristmas138

This was on the ESPN fantasy hockey page, trading with the Leafs seems like a long shot and the Leafs really need a center but damn Jake Gardiner would really improve this Defense:

"Gardiner may be used as trade bait this season, according to a report in the Toronto Star. His style of play does not seem to be in favor with Leafs coach Randy Carlyle."

Spin:
"Carlyle likes his defenders big and he doesn't like risk taking; Gardiner isn't large, and his smooth-skating ways lead to rushes and risks. Gardiner will be a fantasy force some day, but he probably needs to get out of Dodge to have that happen. Keeper leaguers should take a risk and talk him down (using this info) to his current owner. A trade would take the reins off and deliver you plenty of go-forward value."

Old
03-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Eichel 9

I was actually just about to make a post about a deal involving Miller and Gardiner, but figured the chances Darcy would trade Miller to a divisional rival is probably very slim.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:20 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydchristmas138 View Post
This was on the ESPN fantasy hockey page, trading with the Leafs seems like a long shot and the Leafs really need a center but damn Jake Gardiner would really improve this Defense:

"Gardiner may be used as trade bait this season, according to a report in the Toronto Star. His style of play does not seem to be in favor with Leafs coach Randy Carlyle."

Spin:
"Carlyle likes his defenders big and he doesn't like risk taking; Gardiner isn't large, and his smooth-skating ways lead to rushes and risks. Gardiner will be a fantasy force some day, but he probably needs to get out of Dodge to have that happen. Keeper leaguers should take a risk and talk him down (using this info) to his current owner. A trade would take the reins off and deliver you plenty of go-forward value."
I am not opposed to dealing Miller in the division. I would love to get Gardiner, but he's another offensive D-man, not sure he's the right fit.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
I would take the Bryz contract because i think it has negative value and makes the trade more fair.

I would buy out Bryz with Pegula bucks
Philly has plenty of money to do the same thing.

Trade for Rick Dipietro. That's a man with a lot of negative trade value.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Eichel 9

I'd swap Myers for Couturier, both have big upside in vital positions, but one is being paid to be a top-pairing defenceman right now and hasn't looked close to being that.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
no I wouldn't do + Myers

I'd rather stab my self in the face with a rusty needle than take on crazy Bryz's contract.

I'd be open to trading Ennis for a decent 2 way centre, Pavelski, Stastny, rights to Weiss (they'dd have to throw in a 2nd for that to work at least though). Im not sure, just throwing names out there.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
I'd rather stab my self in the face with a rusty needle than take on crazy Bryz's contract.

I'd be open to trading Ennis for a decent 2 way centre, Pavelski, Stastny, rights to Weiss (they'dd have to throw in a 2nd for that to work at least though). Im not sure, just throwing names out there.
1. I'd take it on, only to facilitate the trade... we'd buy him out
2. I wouldn't trade Ennis for a "decent 2 way center", I'd trade him for a guy I feel could shut down the elite players in the playoffs
3. I'm not sure you know what a decent 2 way center is

Old
03-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54
FWIW, here's the latest "scout sighting" conjecture:
Quote:
You can draw your own conclusions from facts, especially when the NHL trade deadline is approaching.

Well, here's an indisputable truth for you: the Sabres and Kings have been checking each other out a lot lately.

The Sabres have had a scouting presence at Staples Center for most Kings games over the past couple of weeks, more so than in other Western Conference buildings (just two examples, but they haven't been in Detroit or Columbus recently).

L.A., along with Vancouver, Chicago, Dallas, Edmonton, Colorado, and five Eastern Conference teams, had scouts at FNC last night for Buffalo's 3-1 win over the Rangers.

I've learned that the gentleman from the Kings is responsible for covering all of the Canadian teams plus the Sabres and Penguins. While there were numerous alternatives last night with games taking place involving Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto and Winnipeg, he was in Buffalo watching the Sabres.

When I first mentioned the mutual Sabres-Kings infatuation on Monday, I was asked by some readers and twitter followers which players are being discussed. I'm just not in a good place to be throwing out names on my own, so this is the part where I won't pretend to know more than the Dregers and LeBruns of the world. I do know that a few mainstream outlets have hinted that the Kings like Robyn Regehr, but it's a safe bet that most contending teams like him.

Link: http://kuklaskorner.com/tso/comments...ing-each-other

Old
03-13-2013, 11:08 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
no I wouldn't do + Myers

I would definitely do that. I'd have no problem eating Bryz's contract to get a player like Couturier. Worst case scenario, if he plays poorly, is Terry opens up his wallet and we use an amnesty buyout on him.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

The difference in value between Ennis and Couturier is less than the difference between Miller and Bryz.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
The difference in value between Ennis and Couturier is less than the difference between Miller and Bryz.
Only if you have zero ability and/or confidence in projecting

Old
03-13-2013, 11:19 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Worth picking up Olesz? Seems like an easy Waiver pick up, nothing radical but might enable us to make a couple of moves short term.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Quote:
Only if you have zero ability and/or confidence in projecting
Av bet that 4 years down the road Couturier hasn't hit 40 points more than once y/n

e: more importantly where does derick brassard fit into this

Closed Thread