HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation III: No, Really, What's the BIGGEST Problem?

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Rasmus Reichel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
If they want to overpay for Ott they can have him....

I love the guy, but he's not gonna be around when we're contenders...
I would only move him if they really overpayed. Like schneider for ott or a 1st and their top prospect

Old
03-15-2013, 01:00 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

If we are talking about LAK dmen...Just fell in love with Voynov. Again. Re-fell in love? Is that right? Wow

Old
03-15-2013, 01:18 AM
ROR
fka BCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
If we are talking about LAK dmen...Just fell in love with Voynov. Again. Re-fell in love? Is that right? Wow
Love Voynov. Can't see LA dealing him, though, as he looks poised to be a cornerstone player there for a while.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:15 AM
Criispen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I'd like something like this, Nice D-core for the future
Ehrhoff-Sekera
Myers-Voynov
Weber-Mcnabb
and then we've got McCabe and Pysyk.

I don't see it happening though.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:36 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Voynov is right behind Doughty on the untouchable list right now, stop dreaming....

Old
03-15-2013, 05:00 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
Voynov is right behind Doughty on the untouchable list right now, stop dreaming....
This is insightful... he's untouchable for sure

Old
03-15-2013, 06:10 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Stafford, Porter and Regehr for Gaborik? Apparently his available and might give us a really good 1-2 punch for the RW top lines. Sure it'd give us a couple of holes but nothing impossible to fill. Staffords $4mill would offset some of Gaboriks $7.5mill and the rest I'm sure we have enough cap space (plus losing Regehrs contract) to cover.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:36 AM
wunderpanda
cooly cough

I really want no part of Gaborik. He has 2 goals in the last 14 games.... Stafford has 2 goals in last 14 games. Looking through the angry Ranger boards, they can't wait to unload Gaborik because he looks lazy and disinterested, we get that younger and cheaper if we keep Stafford.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:12 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
I really want no part of Gaborik. He has 2 goals in the last 14 games.... Stafford has 2 goals in last 14 games. Looking through the angry Ranger boards, they can't wait to unload Gaborik because he looks lazy and disinterested, we get that younger and cheaper if we keep Stafford.
But his an extremely highly skilled RW playing on the LW, not his most successful position. His also put up crazy points like Stafford never will. Sure it's not a perfect solution but his probably the best we have any shot at getting.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackGroundMusic View Post
Waiting for the trade deadline this year is like waiting for Christmas as a kid. That's how ****ing giddy I am to see this team blown up once and for all.
Did you have a lot of underwhelming Christmases as a kid? Because if that's your anticipation level, I think you're going to be disappointed. I think any heavy lifting in the departure category is going to be done in the offseason, and not the trade deadline.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:36 AM
BackGroundMusic
hoc quoque finiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Did you have a lot of underwhelming Christmases as a kid? Because if that's your anticipation level, I think you're going to be disappointed. I think any heavy lifting in the departure category is going to be done in the offseason, and not the trade deadline.
Occasionally, yes.

A boy can dream, though. It's something I've wanted to see this team do for 4 years now.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:41 AM
Karate Johnson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I would only move him if they really overpayed. Like schneider for ott or a 1st and their top prospect
Exactly.

Schneider is who I was thinking....

Old
03-15-2013, 07:55 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Exactly.

Schneider is who I was thinking....
If Regier had another trade lined up to send Miller elsewhere, Schneider would obviously be a welcome addition. I believe we'd be the ones who'd have to add if we wanted Schneider, though.

(My post begs the question of why the team acquiring Miller wouldn't just make a trade for Schneider. I suppose if the team is in the Western Conference, Vancouver may not trade Schneider to that team. But Gillis would be negligent not to realize Schneider's addition means Miller is moving, likely to the WC.)

Old
03-15-2013, 08:00 AM
wunderpanda
cooly cough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
But his an extremely highly skilled RW playing on the LW, not his most successful position. His also put up crazy points like Stafford never will. Sure it's not a perfect solution but his probably the best we have any shot at getting.
Well that is true, highly skilled 100 point guys are rarely available. Might be the best chance to make a playoff run with Miller and Vanek still here. All 3 expire after next season?

Old
03-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
There was apparently something on TSN about LA making a play for Iginla. If LA is looking for a vet RW, one would think it would put Pominville on their radar as well. Poms would be the cheaper option from a cap perspective, and he'd be their's for a year longer.
That's the problem...

LA has only 14 mil in cap space next year.... and that's with 3 defensemen and 9 forwards and 1 goalie...

Old
03-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Woodhouse
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
The other team hasn't scored a goal against the Sabres with Porter on the ice this year.
Porter pays off the official scorer though .. this is a "Hodgson" minus still.

Quote:
I'm not penciling him in for anything but he's someone worth considering; the hate is ridiculous. The same people who hate on Porter hate on Hecht. You're looking for too much out of bottom 6 guys and don't realize how crucial it is to have solid defensive players in your bottom 6. I just don't want those players to be liabilities (especially 4th liners), which Porter certainly isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPsycho View Post
Nothing against Porter, but if he's getting 17 minutes a game, it's a problem. But we all know this.
Yep, I have no problem with Porter or Hecht getting bottom-six minutes for around 12-14 minutes per game right now.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Woodhouse
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 162
As for Regehr to LAK, THIS analysis would suggest that they shouldn't be interested .. it even shows that Regehr has a -11.3% effect on possession when paired with Sekera. #FreeReggie

Old
03-15-2013, 10:00 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Stafford, Porter and Regehr for Gaborik? Apparently his available and might give us a really good 1-2 punch for the RW top lines. Sure it'd give us a couple of holes but nothing impossible to fill. Staffords $4mill would offset some of Gaboriks $7.5mill and the rest I'm sure we have enough cap space (plus losing Regehrs contract) to cover.
Hell to the no. How many teams do you know paying $7M+ each for 2 wingers?

Gaborik is talented offensively, but no thanks.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Tachycineta

I know this is kind of OT but despite what the various postings say, I'm pretty sure Tyler Ennis was originally a LW with Medicine Hat playing on Bosch's line. I know I had this discussion with Ti-Girl back in 2008. I also remember him in scouting profile video saying he was a LWer and in Pirates camp his rookie year saying in an interview that the Sabres wanted to try him at center and he thought that was good. Did he play center before MH?

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Old
03-15-2013, 10:24 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post
I know this is kind of OT but despite what the various postings say, I'm pretty sure Tyler Ennis was originally a LW with Medicine Hat playing on Bosch's line. I know I had this discussion with Ti-Girl back in 2008. I also remember him in scouting profile video saying he was a LWer and in Pirates camp his rookie year saying in an interview that the Sabres wanted to try him at center and he thought that was good. Did he play center before MH?
I'd guess that he played there in minor hockey, as he was listed as LW/C at the time of the NHL Draft.
It's pretty common for players of his ilk (and even bigger ones, as usually the most talented kids end up there) to grow up playing down the middle and move to the wing at higher levels.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
As for Regehr to LAK, THIS analysis would suggest that they shouldn't be interested .. it even shows that Regehr has a -11.3% effect on possession when paired with Sekera. #FreeReggie
That's a pretty damning article from Regehr's perspective, and speaks highly of Sekera. Still, I hope Regehr's perceived "playoff style" is enough to net us a valuable return.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:39 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Hell to the no. How many teams do you know paying $7M+ each for 2 wingers?

Gaborik is talented offensively, but no thanks.
Can't hurt for one season though.

EDIT: Actually It might not be a bad idea. Gaborik, Vanek, Pominville, Miller, all in contract years. If anything is going to get us to the playoffs that combination will.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
why lord... why can't we take Sekera/Myers for a 20 game test drive this season? Why not??? What could possibly go wrong????

INFURIATING

Old
03-15-2013, 10:44 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Sure it can. They won't be contenders next year, why pay a guy like Gaborik AND give up assets for one pointless year?

Old
03-15-2013, 10:58 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Sure it can. They won't be contenders next year, why pay a guy like Gaborik AND give up assets for one pointless year?
Regehr won't re-sign here anyway, even if Darcy has a job and shows interest (two big if's), Porter is completely replaceable and Stafford is a detriment to the team. If the Rangers are after depth then they are 3 good players for a cup run as Stafford excels when surrounded by talent but I don't see them fetching anything in the 'rebuild' market.

This is, however, based on my feeling of not wanting to rebuild but continue to completely change the lineup, re-tool as I've heard it referred to. Try and aim for an identity and get there. I do believe our issues are identity and Regier, as stated.

Last edited by RazielMoshman: 03-15-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Closed Thread