HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation III: No, Really, What's the BIGGEST Problem?

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
We're not getting Patrick Kane. We're not.
Well, Im hoping he hits free agency.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:38 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Price will make the team and Subban has a shot.

I don't see how Hodgson, Ennis, Myers or Ott would even be potential candidates for the team to be honest.
Its not the olympics, the world championships

Old
03-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Zip15

vCash: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
I could see STL being interested in Regehr...or Weber.
Or Leopold. They need a puck-moving LHD big time.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:15 PM
BackGroundMusic
hoc quoque finiet

I haven't been able to catch any Jets games, but in past seasons, I've been intrigued by Alexander Burmistrov. Can anybody give me the skinny on him? I know he's been benched lately....

Old
03-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Karate Johnson*

So I owe Leino an apology this far... I had him as good as gone and he's been pretty impressive thus far

Old
03-19-2013, 07:17 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

McDavid - MacKinnon - MacDougall

Dream line

Old
03-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
So I owe Leino an apology this far... I had him as good as gone and he's been pretty impressive thus far
I would bet Regier holds onto his buyouts until the second offseason in any case (even if Leino was awful) just to give himself options. Of course, Regier may not be around to make that decision.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:24 PM
I like Franson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
He's rested, everyone else had a tough schedule.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Karate Johnson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher Gilt View Post
He's rested, everyone else had a tough schedule.
True... I still give him next season before buying him out at this point. Especially if we trade any of Stafford and/or Poms.... We'll need some vet forwards.

It could be as simple as coaching with him too... He wouldn't be the first guy who didn't work well with Lindy.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:12 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
McDavid - MacKinnon - MacDougall

Dream line
Trade for Andrew MacDonald from NYI and Jamie McBain from Caroline. Joey MacDonald in net. Could always try to get Andy McDonald, Ryan McDonagh, Cody McCormick, Colin McDonald, Jay McClement, Clarke MacArthur, Lane MacDermid, and Derek MacKenzie.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:49 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Trade for Andrew MacDonald from NYI and Jamie McBain from Caroline. Joey MacDonald in net. Could always try to get Andy McDonald, Ryan McDonagh, Cody McCormick, Colin McDonald, Jay McClement, Clarke MacArthur, Lane MacDermid, and Derek MacKenzie.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:37 AM
FanboySlayer*

Tyler Ennis Is What's Wrong With The Darcy Regier Sabres

I was and still am a fan of Tyler Ennis, I like players who can dangle and he's the only player on this team that can. But fans don't win championships or build champions. He's a player and a draft choice that points to the root problem of this franchise under Darcy Regier. Why was Tyler Ennis drafted by us in the second round?

Five years later he still looks like he walked out of a video arcade in 1986, he's still small and still wispy and a defensive liability. What was the upside in drafting him? The only way drafting a player like Ennis as high as we did is for him to become a prolific scorer and point getter good enough to be in your Top 6 forwards. Hindsight is 20/20 but 5 years ago Darcy Regier and Kevin Devine looked at Ennis and their acumen decided that Ennis would become a Top 6 player - NOT on an out of the playoffs bottom feeder but on a Cup contending team. He isn't that player. I know he has been fairly productive but at his size he needs to be a lot more than 'fairly productive'. He's a bust, he can't ever be a useful third or fourth line component. The proof of the failure is that if Regier went to trade Ennis today, the very best and I think it's a stretch, would be to get a 2nd round pick in return. Meaning his worth hasn't increased any from the value Regier put on him 5 years ago, the return for him would need a minimum of 3-5 years of development time so you lose out there as well.

Our drafts during Regier's tenure are littered with stupid decisions like this and yes I know every other team in the league makes similar stupid decisions - Regier just makes more of them than any GM capable of building a consistent Cup contender.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:10 AM
Ness
New Age Retro Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer View Post
I was and still am a fan of Tyler Ennis, I like players who can dangle and he's the only player on this team that can. But fans don't win championships or build champions. He's a player and a draft choice that points to the root problem of this franchise under Darcy Regier. Why was Tyler Ennis drafted by us in the second round?

Five years later he still looks like he walked out of a video arcade in 1986, he's still small and still wispy and a defensive liability. What was the upside in drafting him? The only way drafting a player like Ennis as high as we did is for him to become a prolific scorer and point getter good enough to be in your Top 6 forwards. Hindsight is 20/20 but 5 years ago Darcy Regier and Kevin Devine looked at Ennis and their acumen decided that Ennis would become a Top 6 player - NOT on an out of the playoffs bottom feeder but on a Cup contending team. He isn't that player. I know he has been fairly productive but at his size he needs to be a lot more than 'fairly productive'. He's a bust, he can't ever be a useful third or fourth line component. The proof of the failure is that if Regier went to trade Ennis today, the very best and I think it's a stretch, would be to get a 2nd round pick in return. Meaning his worth hasn't increased any from the value Regier put on him 5 years ago, the return for him would need a minimum of 3-5 years of development time so you lose out there as well.

Our drafts during Regier's tenure are littered with stupid decisions like this and yes I know every other team in the league makes similar stupid decisions - Regier just makes more of them than any GM capable of building a consistent Cup contender.

I guess I just don't see the point you're trying to make here.

He has shown flashes that he can be a dynamic player, given the dynamic play of his linemates (see his success with Foligno-Stafford when they were on top of their game last year). I don't think anyone is expecting Ennis to be a one-man show around here. I'm sure plenty of GM's would gladly take Ennis off of our hands for a 2nd (or lower) round draft pick and laugh their way to the bank.

Our 1st round picks since 2008:

2009 - Kassian (Big, physical forward. Complete opposite of Ennis.)
2010 - Pysyk (Smart, poised defenseman who looks to be a safe bet as a future contributor.)
2011 - Armia (Elite forward prospect who was tearing up a men's league in Finland at age 17.)
2012 - Grigorenko (Could end up being a Malkin-lite) and Girgensons (Player in the mold of a Ryan O'Reilly type).

How are any of those players like Tyler Ennis?

Last edited by Ness: 03-20-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old
03-20-2013, 06:29 AM
Deevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer View Post

Look at the players taken below Tyler Ennis in 2008. Who would you rather have as a top 6 forward? Yes, Voynov and Schultz were picks made after us that look like good choices at this point in time, but there isn't a forward taken after Ennis that I would trade for him today. Stepan is the only one in the same ballpark.

We made the best forward pick possible.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:32 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Ennis was drafted in the first round FWIW

rest is not even worth talking about.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:40 AM
FanboySlayer*

doh - i created an urban legend in my own mind, i thought he was a second round pick.

he's just not a player I see as a legit top 6 forward on a Cup contending team, i can see with growth Hodgson becoming a quality 2nd line center.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:00 AM
tsujimoto74

So....You wish Ennis were a few inches taller and a few lbs heavier?

Old
03-20-2013, 07:04 AM
Zip15

vCash: 251
I wouldn't say he's the root problem of the team. My issue is that he's a luxury player. He's the type of player that's nice to have around when you're set in most other areas and you can feed him easy offensive minutes. That's why he excelled at the end of last season while Leino-Roy-Poms played the tough defensive minutes, Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp got a combo of offensive and defensive zone starts, and FES ate up the cushy offensive minutes. I think you're in trouble if he's one of your go-to guys, which he is right now.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:11 AM
FanboySlayer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
So....You wish Ennis were a few inches taller and a few lbs heavier?
of course I do, but if tyler ennis had been 5'11" and 180 pounds he would have been a top 12 pick with his offensive numbers in junior.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:18 AM
wunderpanda
#FireMurray

I am not a fan of Ennis, but this team always seems to have a centre like him. We had Roy who was a mini, before him was Derek Plante, even Danny Gare was small ages ago. To me, the waif centre is part of the teams identity.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:49 AM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
As a creative winger, sure, there is a place for a player like him. But on a team where there is already one weak defensive scoring line center and he's put in the middle as well? Not so much. I have no issue with the player -- he's not the guy who's put himself into the position to fail. That's again on Regier.

Also, anyone who can put up his point pace on this dumpster fire of a team, given how badly so many of the wingers are performing to date, at his age is going to garner a lot more than just a 2nd round pick.

03-20-2013, 08:05 AM
Havok89

He's putting up pretty solid numbers for a 23 year old who's played center for less than a full NHL season, and he's done so playing with wingers who just haven't produced like they should.

I agree with Chainshot, he should be used as a scoring winger, who can fill in at center when needed.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:29 AM
cardiffgiant
Dont call him Beavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
Look at the players taken below Tyler Ennis in 2008. Who would you rather have as a top 6 forward? Yes, Voynov and Schultz were picks made after us that look like good choices at this point in time, but there isn't a forward taken after Ennis that I would trade for him today. Stepan is the only one in the same ballpark.

We made the best forward pick possible.
I agree with this. Maybe he's not the best player for this team, or maybe he needs different line mates (though, the FES line looked like a solid combination last year).

I guess I'd like to know who we should have taken instead of Ennis in this draft?

Old
03-20-2013, 09:01 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Or maybe Tyler Ennis being forced to play center because we have no other options is is one of the things that's wrong with this team.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Eichel 9

I can't see how Ennis is the problem, we were pretty lucky to get a top 6 quality player in the late first round. And yes, Ennis on the wing is a top 6 player, he is also far from a bust for a player drafted 26th overall.

He'd be fine on the wing, all teams can use a skilled winger like Ennis but Darcy put him in a situation where he has bigger defensive responsibilities and that's just not the player he is.

We are simply misusing him due to Darcy's inability to acquire a good defensive centerman that could play on the 2nd line.

Ennis would look great on a team surrounded with players that are good defensive players, the Sabres have 0. Yes, I don't think the Sabres have 1 real good defensive player on the team as of right now.

Closed Thread