HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Leafs-Pens

Old
03-05-2013, 05:50 AM
The Caveman
snowbozie

vCash: 500
Leafs-Pens

I am hearing that the Pens might move Letang. While I think they would be crazy to do so, would this work?

Tor: Letang

Pitt: Gardiner or Kessel, Kulemin, 2nd (2013) or +

Pitt gets a young PMD oozing with potential and can play now, Malkin's best buddy who plays responsibly, and a decent draft pick.

Last edited by The Caveman: 03-05-2013 at 06:59 AM. Reason: edited to take into account Pens' fans replies
The Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:51 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Star Kunitz

vCash: 2563
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caveman View Post
I am hearing that the Pens might move Letang.
No you're not.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:01 AM
416Leafer

Letangs their #1 D, and a potential Norris finalist. That package wont cut it.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:02 AM
TheReaper

Hearing voices again?

Where did you hear that?

TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:05 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
I am hearing that the Pens might move Letang. While I think they would be crazy to do so, would this work?

Pitt: Gardiner, Kulemin, 2nd (2013)

Pitt gets a young PMD oozing with potential and can play now, Malkin's best buddy who plays responsibly, and a decent draft pick.
Even if Letang is available, and he is not, you think that package of players is going to get it done? Start with Kessel. Then when you realize it's a no go from your end, we move on.

Rossi got all super hyped that Jarmo was in Pittsburgh that he made up a rumor and some stupid idea that if they get Johnson and Letang can't be signed in 2014, they can move him and be ok. He's a tool. He's the Lebrun/Garrioch/Healy of Pittsburgh media.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:11 AM
The Caveman
snowbozie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Even if Letang is available, and he is not, you think that package of players is going to get it done? Start with Kessel. Then when you realize it's a no go from your end, we move on.

Rossi got all super hyped that Jarmo was in Pittsburgh that he made up a rumor and some stupid idea that if they get Johnson and Letang can't be signed in 2014, they can move him and be ok. He's a tool. He's the Lebrun/Garrioch/Healy of Pittsburgh media.
As I said, I think the Pens would be crazy as Letang is one of my favourite D. I would put Kessel in a deal for him. What would it take then, if Kessel was the main piece. I just figured you would need a player to replace Letangs puck moving, who is also on entry contract, and Kule would be a great addition as he is fast, defensively responsible, and scored a ton with Malkin over in Russia during he lockout.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:15 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
As I said, I think the Pens would be crazy as Letang is one of my favourite D. I would put Kessel in a deal for him. What would it take then, if Kessel was the main piece. I just figured you would need a player to replace Letangs puck moving, who is also on entry contract, and Kule would be a great addition as he is fast, defensively responsible, and scored a ton with Malkin over in Russia during he lockout.
This is Letang's 2nd contract. His ELC expired after the 2009-10 season and he's 3yrs into his new contract (which was a 4yr deal).

Only way Ray moves Letang is if he doesn't want to re-sign an extension and wants to test the market. Since he still has 1 more year after this season, Ray doesn't need to move him right now and would do it in the off season when he found out that Letang wants to test the market after his current contract is up. If Ray put Letang on the market, the offers would be nuts and I doubt he'd want to keep him in the East.

As long as this team still has Crosby & Malkin, it's a contender. Letang probably isn't going anywhere.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:28 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:

Pitt: Gardiner, Kulemin, 2nd (2013)

So, we get a concussion boy, a winger that can't score anymore and a second for a Norris Trophy type finalist? Nope. This is really a lousy deal for Pittsburgh. Letang isn't being moved and if he is, we get a better package including a younger SCORING forward.

We already have tons of PMDs oozing with potential in our system. Why the need for Gardiner?

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:32 AM
The Caveman
snowbozie

Um. I believe Letang had concussions as well. I am just testing the waters here, so lets keep this civil. I realize that Letang is a great asset, so if you want wingers, how about Kessel and Kulemin for Letang?

Old
03-05-2013, 06:39 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Um. I believe Letang had concussions as well. I am just testing the waters here, so lets keep this civil. I realize that Letang is a great asset, so if you want wingers, how about Kessel and Kulemin for Letang?
He put up 50pts, then 42 (in 51 games, 68pt pace) and he's leading all defensemen in pts right now with 21 in 20gms played (48pts in 45gm pace).

Kessel is a good start, but Kulemin is a glorified 3rd liner, he had 1 good year and everyone has been on his jock since.

I don't see the Pens and Leafs being good trading partners. Consider the fact that Shero is not going to send a #1 defenseman to the Leafs. If the Leafs really wanted him badly, to change Ray's mind, it'd have to be a gross over payment. We're talking Kessel and maybe a prized prospect.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:42 AM
Chevrier

You'd think that Malkin and Kulemin are the second coming of Sedin chemistry given how many times people have referred to them playing together in Russia, like they'd click in the exact same way in the NHL with a 100% success rate.

Leafs hold onto Gardiner, they'll need him and want him, they hold onto Kulemin as he provides a big body, skill and defensive responsibilites.

Pittsburgh isn't going to move Letang, they made the choice to run with him when they fleeced Dallas out of Neal for Goligoski. They won't trade the key to their defense for Gardiner, Kulemin and a 2nd. Letang's too important, too skilled, too rare of a skill set offensively from the back end for Pittsburgh. They won't move him, whatever was said or heard or what not somewhere here in Canada, ha.

Chevrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:46 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
That's not necessarily a no from our end... I think Letang brings more to a team than Kessel does. The only concern are his injuries, which to be fair I don't know much about (aka don't know if there's an expectation of high risk in future).

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:52 AM
The Caveman
snowbozie

Quote:
He put up 50pts, then 42 (in 51 games, 68pt pace) and he's leading all defensemen in pts right now with 21 in 20gms played (48pts in 45gm pace).

Kessel is a good start, but Kulemin is a glorified 3rd liner, he had 1 good year and everyone has been on his jock since.

I don't see the Pens and Leafs being good trading partners. Consider the fact that Shero is not going to send a #1 defenseman to the Leafs. If the Leafs really wanted him badly, to change Ray's mind, it'd have to be a gross over payment. We're talking Kessel and maybe a prized prospect.
Nice to see someone on these boards that is willing to discuss. I agree, overpayment. So if we start with Kessel, add Kulemin (I think he would fit perfectly with the Pens system), what would be the final piece? Stay at home type of D Prospect?

Old
03-05-2013, 06:54 AM
Zbynek

Letang is leading the NHL in points amongst defensemen.

He also has a bizarre hairstyle.

This package doesn't come close to his trade value.

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
That's not necessarily a no from our end... I think Letang brings more to a team than Kessel does. The only concern are his injuries, which to be fair I don't know much about (aka don't know if there's an expectation of high risk in future).
Letang doesn't have any injury concerns that any other player in the league wouldn't have on average. The guy is probably pound for pound, one of the toughest guys in the NHL. MMA fighters want to train with the guy to become more explosive. He's a tank. He had 1 concussion and everyone holds that against him. He's leading the league in pts for a defenseman. See any after effects?

Old
03-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Nice to see someone on these boards that is willing to discuss. I agree, overpayment. So if we start with Kessel, add Kulemin (I think he would fit perfectly with the Pens system), what would be the final piece? Stay at home type of D Prospect?
How attached are you guys to Morgan Rielly?

Old
03-05-2013, 07:05 AM
The Caveman
snowbozie

Quote:
Letang doesn't have any injury concerns that any other player in the league wouldn't have on average. The guy is probably pound for pound, one of the toughest guys in the NHL. MMA fighters want to train with the guy to become more explosive. He's a tank. He had 1 concussion and everyone holds that against him. He's leading the league in pts for a defenseman. See any after effects?
It's HF BOards concussion phobia when posters can't find anything to hate about a player.. see above comment about Gardiner being "concussion boy." Bet that guy wouldn't characterize Crosby or Letang that way.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:09 AM
The Caveman
snowbozie

Quote:
How attached are you guys to Morgan Rielly?
Pretty untouchable. But he is still a few years off from being a force in the NHL. Adding Morgan would be the gross in gross overpayment. With Kessel you are getting one of the best pur shooters in the league that has added an element of playmaking this year. Kule is a great 2 way forward that is fast and is a big body. For a third piece, set your sights a touch lower than our best prospect.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:10 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
It's HF BOards concussion phobia when posters can't find anything to hate about a player.. see above comment about Gardiner being "concussion boy." Bet that guy wouldn't characterize Crosby or Letang that way.
The concussion boy comment is representative of how most Penguins fans handle the topic.

As far as Letang's: he missed time last year for a concussion, but he also had his nose broken at the same time. I'm not sure it's really a concern.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
You guys have a stud in Gardiner, makes no sense to give up 2 roster players, possibly a 3rd, for Kris Letang.

I mean for the Pens, the addition of Kulemin and Kessel would likely mean Dupuis is gone unless he takes a pay cut or re-signs for what he is making now.

Kunitz, Crosby, Kessel
Kulemin, Malkin, Neal
Bennett, Sutter, Dupuis

That would be our top 9. I kind of envisioned Beau being in that top 6, I want to see that kid succeed with the Pens, it'd be nice having a winger that the Pens drafted, actually cracking the top 6. In the past 5 games, he had 3pts, so Beau was looking good too and that was mostly 3rd line duty (hey, Kadri is doing a damn fine job on the 3rd line, so it's not the line you are on).

Old
03-05-2013, 07:14 AM
BlueBaron

No thanks. D is not our priority right now.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:17 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
No thanks. D is not our priority right now.
Yea, no need for a depth guy like Letang.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Dying Alive
I love u Phil

Out of curiosity, where was it said that the Pens might move Letang? I honestly can't think of a player other than Crosby or Malkin who is less likely to be moved at this point.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:18 AM
The Caveman
snowbozie

Quote:
Kunitz, Crosby, Kessel
Kulemin, Malkin, Neal
Bennett, Sutter, Dupuis
wait a minute, that is a pretty sick top 9.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Out of curiosity, where was it said that the Pens might move Letang? I honestly can't think of a player other than Crosby or Malkin who is less likely to be moved at this point.
Rossi...don't hit your forehead too hard when you do a facepalm, I still have a mark on mine.