HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Canucks Ticket Market Fading?

Old
03-06-2013, 07:22 PM
BuggSuperstar

vCash: 500
Vancouver Canucks Ticket Market Fading?

This year there has been a significant drop in demand for tickets. Craigslist is stacked full of posts of season ticket holders looking to sell their tickets for less than face value.
What do you guys suppose the reason is?
The lockout? Disappointment from last year and 2011? The "buzz" is gone? A combination of all?

BuggSuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggSuperstar View Post
This year there has been a significant drop in demand for tickets. Craigslist is stacked full of posts of season ticket holders looking to sell their tickets for less than face value.
The lockout? Disappointment from last year and 2011? The "buzz" is gone? A combination of all?
Combination of all IMO.

Team needs a young superstar to get fans really excited again. Or another cup run

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Ryan96

Once you go to the cup final it's hard to get excited about a regular season game. I think it shows in the players as well.

Ryan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Combination of all IMO.

Team needs a young superstar to get fans really excited again. Or another cup run
I think maybe the Canucks have finally priced themselves out of the market, especially given that there's a decent chance they'll play a somewhat crappy game and people will feel like they didn't get their money's worth.

Also, maybe this is just me, but with home theatre systems and big screen tvs these days, I find you get a much better viewing experience at home, while saving saving yourself a ton of time and money.

Also makes it easier to get together with a bunch of people and watch the game at someone's house, especially if you've got an odd number of people.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
I think maybe the Canucks have finally priced themselves out of the market, especially given that there's a decent chance they'll play a somewhat crappy game and people will feel like they didn't get their money's worth.

Also, maybe this is just me, but with home theatre systems and big screen tvs these days, I find you get a much better viewing experience at home, while saving saving yourself a ton of time and money.

Also makes it easier to get together with a bunch of people and watch the game at someone's house, especially if you've got an odd number of people.
I don't know if it is considered pricing themselves out of a market if there are still over 5 years worth of people waiting to pay the price for these tickets, Seems all they have done is price the people wanting to re-sell there tickets out of the market, and they are not going to give a crap if the demand for scalped tickets is lower then supply.

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
I don't know if it is considered pricing themselves out of a market if there are still over 5 years worth of people waiting to pay the price for these tickets, Seems all they have done is price the people wanting to re-sell there tickets out of the market, and they are not going to give a crap if the demand for scalped tickets is lower then supply.
I have a feeling a lot of those people on that waiting list are looking at it as a business opportunity and not necessarily because they're rabid hockey fans.

Once people saw the ridiculous prices others were willing to play for playoff tickets, they figured it would be a good investment to get their hands on some season tickets.

Sell most of them, especially the playoff games, and you can actually make some pretty decent cash. But if word gets out that the demand is decreasing, you may see a lot of those people back off from making that initial investment for fear that they're going to get stuck with a lot of unsold tickets.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:10 PM
MikeK

vCash: 50
Quote:

Agreed. The lockout didn't help but I agree with you about pricing and HDTV. Prices have finally gotten out of the avg persons budget. HDTV has also become a legitimate issue for pro sports. I would much rather stay at home and watch the game on my 60in HDTV with a bunch of friends. We have a much nicer time watching the game not have to worry about buying over priced beer, obnoxious drunken idiots or stuck up snobs who think a sporting event should be a calm and quiet night out. I stopped going to games long ago and don't miss it one bit. $10 gets me a 6er and with good friends and HDTV glory it's a much better experience. If going to games is something new for a person I can see how it might be entertaining but for those who have been there done that it just isn't worth the price anymore.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:34 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

You can turn a room into Canuckville for the price of attending a handful of games. I'd do that in a heartbeat if I still lived in the Lower Mainland. I love seeing a game live, but not at the ridiculous price to do so. And if I did go, seeing all the beautiful people on their phones or late to their seats just angers me to no end.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
I still cant believe people pay $300 bucks a ticket to see a hockey game in the middle of January.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:40 PM
FloydTheBarber

[QUOTE=Wheatley;61120939]I think maybe the Canucks have finally priced themselves out of the market, especially given that there's a decent chance they'll play a somewhat crappy game and people will feel like they didn't get their money's worth./QUOTE]

Gotta be this. Add on the food parking/transit and beverage costs. It's just far too expensive especially since it has that library reputation.

FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Somewhat that but probably a number of people were turned-off by the lockout - regardless of who side they supported.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:50 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

I think to some degree there's still the belief that this season doesn't feel "real". That'll likely change come playoffs, AV being fired, or a Luongo trade.
There's a hurry up and wait feeling, at least for me.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday

When the cheapest ticket to a game costs $70, you're alienating a big market of very passionate fans.

Personally, I'd rather spend the $70+ on something that would last longer than 3 hours.

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Crows*

HDTV is nice but it's still better being there . I have an 11 game Ice pak at 70 bucks per game.,being there live for Henriks record was well worth the 70 bucks and 6 bucks for skytrain there snd back.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Hollywood Burrows

The Aquilinis could at least invest SOME of the giant pile of $$$ they've made on this team into improving the arena experience. Same crappy food and beer since 1995. At least get us some new lasers or other visual effects. Also fire DJ Dave and I guarantee you demand will triple.

Last edited by Tiranis: 03-07-2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: QDP
Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:12 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan96 View Post
Once you go to the cup final it's hard to get excited about a regular season game. I think it shows in the players as well.
This is exactly it. This is the reason I haven't bothered watching a couple games this season. I'm waiting for the playoffs to start to really get into it.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:13 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood burrows View Post
also fire dj dave and i guarantee you demand will triple.
i've got a feeling

that tonight's gonna be a good night

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:18 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.

i hardly buy tickets because:
-i hate making the trek downtown at night
-i can watch on HD and use PVR for any instant replay
-i don't have to shell out obnoxious amounts of $ for food and snacks
-i don't have to deal with other canucks fans

last one is a big one for me

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Jyrki
trust in linden CREW

Maybe I'll finally be able to attend a game. ^_^

Jyrki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
All of the above, plus the team is just not producing nearly as exciting a style of play as a couple of years back.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:40 PM
TARS

The stadium provides no draw. As others have said, it's just as enjoyable to watch the game in HD on a big TV. If the stadium provided a more intense atmosphere, people would still want to go to games to experience it. Rogers is great in the playoffs, but it's no secret we aren't the loudest bunch the rest of the time.

I'm sure they will still sell out, but the profits on resales aren't likely to continue unless the team is on a tear again.

TARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
The Aquilinis could at least invest SOME of the giant pile of $$$ they've made on this team into improving the arena experience. Same crappy food and beer since 1995. At least get us some new lasers or other visual effects. Also fire DJ Dave and I guarantee you demand will triple.
This was a good investment.

Last edited by Tiranis: 03-07-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 09:47 PM
ZenMaster*

Excitement is just not there anymore, most fans have soured and turned bitter. They're scared of being so emotionally vested into the team after the heartbreak of the cup final loss and the arena is too damn quiet, I rather watch it at home with friends.

ZenMaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:14 PM
FloydTheBarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
This was a good investment.

The stat counter barely works, a lot of times nothing comes up.

The odd time it does work, I love how they show face off %, but not the actual face offs taken.

Looks like this:

Raymond 100%

H. Sedin 15%

Kesler 45%

This isn't helpful.

FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote