HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next 10 games may decide playoff fate

Old
02-27-2013, 12:04 PM
drwpreds

vCash: 500
Next 10 games may decide playoff fate

I think the next 10 games will likely determine the Predators playoff fate. Starting tonight, we have ‎another brutal stretch of games similar to the beginning of the season- 8 of the next 10 are on the ‎road:‎

@ Anaheim
@ San Jose
@ LA
EDMONTON
MINNESOTA
@ Dallas
@ Vancouver
@ Calgary
@ Edmonton
@ Columbus

If we can get through those 10 games and still be in the top 8, we should be in great shape. After that, ‎we will have 18 games left, 12 at home and only 6 road games left.‎

The question is, can we get some offense going and survive this 10 game stretch? It is going to be very ‎difficult. ‎

So what is a reasonable expectation for the 10 games? If we can bank at least 10 points in the 10 games ‎I think I would be satisfied with that- that should at least keep us in good playoff shape with the final ‎‎18 game favorable schedule.‎

Hard to believe we are almost halfway done with the season......

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Fo Shea Shea

Point a game would keep us in decent shape. Anything less than 8 would hurt badly. The 2 home games are going to be huge. Must have points there. Not going to be easy.

Fo Shea Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Preds33

As much as this will decide fate, April will as well with the Preds playing Chicago 4 times in 3 weeks 2 of which are back to backs.They will be lucky to get 2 points out of those 4 games. Add to that a game against St. Louis and 2 against Detroit. Will be extremely rough. I'd rather take the 8 out of 10 road games or the 7 straight road games over April.

They will need to be ranked 4th with at least a 2 or 3 game lead point wise coming out of this stretch to be sitting ok.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Whoops wrong thread initially.

Look at our last 10 games as well though; going to need to close out the season strong. Only CGY and CBJ look not so bad; DAL will likely be in the hunt and hungry.

CHI
@CHI
STL
DAL
DET
VAN
@CHI
CGY
@DET
@CBJ

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:11 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Whoops wrong thread initially.

Look at our last 10 games as well though; going to need to close out the season strong. Only CGY and CBJ look not so bad; DAL will likely be in the hunt and hungry.

CHI
@CHI
STL
DAL
DET
VAN
@CHI
CGY
@DET
@CBJ
Agreed, but at least 6 of those are home games.

Lets face it, other than maybe Columbus, there are no pushovers in the Western Conference- every game will be a battle (for example, we are 0-1-1 against Columbus/Colorado)

Old
02-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post

Lets face it, other than maybe Columbus, there are no pushovers in the Western Conference- every game will be a battle (for example, we are 0-1-1 against Columbus/Colorado)
Although in our defense, we were rusty against Columbus opening night, and Colorado, well......we all know that was a flukey game.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:48 PM
thecloser

For some reason the way we won that Dallas game has me very confident in our team. Hopefully we can keep up the gutsy play and be emotional and hungry the rest of the way.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:42 AM
lstcyr

Quote:

We should keep in mind that all of the teams we'll be competing with for a playoff spot are playing the same teams we are. They'll have to win those games also to beat us out. It looks like a great finish.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Preds33

Currently the Preds are ranked 4th, but after last night's loss they could easily be ranked 9th and potentially 10th before they play again on Saturday night. Every game is a make it or break it at this point. The standings are so close that 3 points separate 4th-11th. And right now Nashville is on the losing side of the majority of the tie breakers out there. What Nashville needs is a bunch of wins and by wins I mean some regulation wins. And to be honest, I don't see that happening and as a result, unless a few of these teams hit a slump, I see Nashville ranked 10th at the end of 48 games.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

My preseason prediction was 7th for us. I'll stick with it.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:30 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

no ten game stretch is going to decide the fate of the preds. We could lose all ten of those games and not be out of it.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Byrddog

27 games left it will take at a minimum 57 points to make it in. So the team needs 34 points. So no matter how ya look at it the have to have 17 more wins and they better be regulation wins the tie breaker situation is not very favorable for them. SO 17 and 10 with the rest of the league playing playoff hungry and the Preds continuing to look for offensive idenity. Who knows they could finish 4th to as bad as 14th. The next 5 games will likley tell the story if there buyers or sellers at the trade deadline.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:55 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
27 games left it will take at a minimum 57 points to make it in. So the team needs 34 points. So no matter how ya look at it the have to have 17 more wins and they better be regulation wins the tie breaker situation is not very favorable for them. SO 17 and 10 with the rest of the league playing playoff hungry and the Preds continuing to look for offensive idenity. Who knows they could finish 4th to as bad as 14th. The next 5 games will likley tell the story if there buyers or sellers at the trade deadline.
nonsense/ We will wrap almost all of our road schedule in a couple of weeks. Our backloaded home schedule will hopefully allow us to make up any ground we need to. I said all along, average a point per game from the road (24) and take 30 at home we should be ok.

We have 10 points in 11 roadgames this year
We have 13 points in 10 home games this year.

Tomorrow night is big when you look at accumulating points like that, but not the end of the world if we lose. We are on pace for 22 road points and 31 home points. We are on track. But, it is nothing a 3-4 game winning or losing streak can destroy

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:03 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
nonsense/ We will wrap almost all of our road schedule in a couple of weeks. Our backloaded home schedule will hopefully allow us to make up any ground we need to. I said all along, average a point per game from the road (24) and take 30 at home we should be ok.

Tomorrow night is big when you look at accumulating points like that, but not the end of the world if we lose. We are on pace for 22 road points and 31 home points. We are on track. But, it is nothing a 3-4 game winning or losing streak can destroy
I agree with this- I probably should have titled my OP something other than "playoff fate"- other than going 0-10 or 1-9, we won't be out of it- we'll just have a better idea of where we stand.

It will also be interesting to see where we stand by the next home game next Friday night- we only have 2 games between now and then so teams will be making up their games in hand- we will be lucky to be in top 8 by next Friday

Old
03-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Preds33

Quote:

A point a game is not enough for them. They need to earn a buffer now, on this current road trip 16 points is a make it or break it (points in both home games and 6 of the 8 road games). These points also need to be regulation 2 point nights not 1 point nights from OT. I just have a gut feeling that positions 6-10 will be involved with alot of tiebreakers. Nashville is on the losing end of the majority of these tiebreakers currently.

Your banking on them doing fairly well in April, a schedule that they have loaded with home games, but April contains 4 games against Chicago, that's a guaranteed 4 losses right there (I know only 1 of those are at home). Also add a home game against Vancouver, St. Louis, and Detriot all of which will be tough. I just don't see Nashville getting it done in April, which is why they need to average 1.6 points per game.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
A point a game is not enough for them. They need to earn a buffer now, on this current road trip 16 points is a make it or break it (points in both home games and 6 of the 8 road games). These points also need to be regulation 2 point nights not 1 point nights from OT. I just have a gut feeling that positions 6-10 will be involved with alot of tiebreakers. Nashville is on the losing end of the majority of these tiebreakers currently.

Your banking on them doing fairly well in April, a schedule that they have loaded with home games, but April contains 4 games against Chicago, that's a guaranteed 4 losses right there (I know only 1 of those are at home). Also add a home game against Vancouver, St. Louis, and Detriot all of which will be tough. I just don't see Nashville getting it done in April, which is why they need to average 1.6 points per game.

Your exactly right/ Many just see the glut of home games near the end and just think there gonna coast in. Right now 4 teams right behind the Preds also hold 2 or 3 games in hand so in reality the team is in jeapordy of not being in a playoff spot right now. There has been nothing to indicate that this team can reel off a 5 or 6 game winning streak in regulation. If I were betting I would say they finish 10th in the west 4 points out of a playoff position. I said 5 games before we know if were gonna be sellers I should have made that number 6 games. This would put them past the Canucks game and only a couple weeks away from the trade deadline in the first week of April.

OT games in these next 6 games is not going to be good enough and the fact that all of the opponants with exception of the Oil are playing even to better than the Preds. The way I see it there going to need 8 points minimum out of these 12 to still be in contention. Further I don't see sliding in 8th and playing the Hawks to be a positive thing.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:26 PM
cleangene

Preds haven't exactly been a sure thing W coming away from Bridgestone Arena this season, btw.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:00 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post

Just so we are clear here- are you seriously saying that we have to get 16 out of a possible 18 points in the next 9 games? And if they don't do that it will "break" their playoff chances?

If so, you are way, way off- so if we go 7-2 and get 14 points in the next 9 games that won't keep us in playoff contention??

As long as we play .500 hockey in the next 9 games, we will be very much in playoff contention down the stretch- that doesn't mean we will make it for certain, but we certainly don't have to 8-1 just to stay in it....

No one is saying the favorable home schedule means guaranteed wins, but finishing with 12 of the final 18 at home is a heck of a lot better that our current 8/10 on the road (a stretch where you say we have to build up a buffer).

And finally, there are no "guaranteed" losses- so you are chalking up all 4 Chicago games as losses? Columbus, the worst team in the league, took Chi to OT in Chicago tonight- there are no guaranteed wins or losses in this league. There is no telling what the league will look like in April- they may have clinched the #1 seed by then and coasting- who knows???

Old
03-02-2013, 12:05 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Your exactly right/ Many just see the glut of home games near the end and just think there gonna coast in. Right now 4 teams right behind the Preds also hold 2 or 3 games in hand so in reality the team is in jeapordy of not being in a playoff spot right now. There has been nothing to indicate that this team can reel off a 5 or 6 game winning streak in regulation. If I were betting I would say they finish 10th in the west 4 points out of a playoff position. I said 5 games before we know if were gonna be sellers I should have made that number 6 games. This would put them past the Canucks game and only a couple weeks away from the trade deadline in the first week of April.

OT games in these next 6 games is not going to be good enough and the fact that all of the opponants with exception of the Oil are playing even to better than the Preds. The way I see it there going to need 8 points minimum out of these 12 to still be in contention. Further I don't see sliding in 8th and playing the Hawks to be a positive thing.
Again, no one is saying that because we finish with 12 of the final 18 at home we will just waltz into the playoffs. What we are saying is if we can be in the top 8 going into that stretch, we have a very good chance to stay there.

It is utterly ridiculous to say we have to get 8 points in the next 6 games "to stay in contention". That means if we go 3-3 in the next 6, we are out of contention?? no way........

Old
03-02-2013, 12:09 AM
cleangene

It's not going to matter anyway... it looks like the hawks are going undefeated the entire regular and playoff seasons.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Again, no one is saying that because we finish with 12 of the final 18 at home we will just waltz into the playoffs. What we are saying is if we can be in the top 8 going into that stretch, we have a very good chance to stay there.

It is utterly ridiculous to say we have to get 8 points in the next 6 games "to stay in contention". That means if we go 3-3 in the next 6, we are out of contention?? no way........

Im trying to understand your logic of playing .500 hockey now and making the playoffs. If they play .500 in the next 6 there sitting at 29 points in 29 games. Leaving 19 games in the season. If they play .500 in those 19 there at 47 points for the year which is 10 points below the 57 projected to make the playoffs. This puts them in the 12th to 14th area at the current pace.

Now if they play .500 like you suggest in the next 6 where are they? At 29 points they will need 28 points in 19 games or winning 14 of the last 19. Where this season have they proven this is remotelt possible. In there last 10 at home they are 5-2-3 and thats then good news on the road the last 10 there 4-5-1.

Right now with 27 games to go they will need to play .600 to make the 57 points. If they play .500 the next 6 they will need to play .730 to hit that mark. Using your words "It is utterly ridiculous" to imagine this team can pull off .600 or .730 hockey the remainder of the year. Right now they are at .430 and only in contention due to the OT games they have picked up points in.

If you consider that every team will be playing there best hockey going down the streach it is still hard to see a seceniro where the Preds outplay the west by such a large margin to get in. This team is just not that good.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Im trying to understand your logic of playing .500 hockey now and making the playoffs. If they play .500 in the next 6 there sitting at 29 points in 29 games. Leaving 19 games in the season. If they play .500 in those 19 there at 47 points for the year which is 10 points below the 57 projected to make the playoffs. This puts them in the 12th to 14th area at the current pace.

Now if they play .500 like you suggest in the next 6 where are they? At 29 points they will need 28 points in 19 games or winning 14 of the last 19. Where this season have they proven this is remotelt possible. In there last 10 at home they are 5-2-3 and thats then good news on the road the last 10 there 4-5-1.

Right now with 27 games to go they will need to play .600 to make the 57 points. If they play .500 the next 6 they will need to play .730 to hit that mark. Using your words "It is utterly ridiculous" to imagine this team can pull off .600 or .730 hockey the remainder of the year. Right now they are at .430 and only in contention due to the OT games they have picked up points in.

If you consider that every team will be playing there best hockey going down the streach it is still hard to see a seceniro where the Preds outplay the west by such a large margin to get in. This team is just not that good.
You had a good post until this statement. Since when is it guaranteed that every team plays their best down the stretch?

Old
03-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Byrddog

lol Guess I should have said that every team in the push for a playoff spot SHOULD be playing there best hockey.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:13 PM
drwpreds

Quote:

You need to go back and read my post- I didn't say we would make the playoffs by playing .500 hockey the rest of the season. I said if we play .500 hockey over the next brutal 9 game stretch, we will be very much in contention for a playoff spot with a favorable final 18 game schedule. That's it.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:30 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
no ten game stretch is going to decide the fate of the preds. We could lose all ten of those games and not be out of it.
not at this stage in the season atleast.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote