HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#24 | New York Rangers vs. New York Islanders | Mar 7 | 7 PM | L 2-1 OT

Old
03-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Islanders1932

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
My opinion exactly....he won't log enough time to be a factor
The one thing you guys are forgetting is that this will be only his second game. He is trying to prove to the coaching staff that he belongs here. He will do everything in his power to show them that regardless of how much time he is getting on the ice. He will make each shift count.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:33 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvon44 View Post
If you were to tell me that at the halfway mark of the season they'd be 2 points out of the playoffs I would have called you crazy.
This

Could you imagine if we had a better supporting cast?

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:35 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillW12 View Post
Rangers fan coming in peace. I am looking to get tickets to the game and was curious if anyone could give me advice on seating. Aside from price what are your thoughts on the 100's vs 200's vs 300's.
Anywhere at Nassau is a good seat.....However High in the 300's you wont be able to see the scoreboard....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:37 AM
okie21

I'd like to see Aucoin back in the line up tonight centering Ullstrom/Grabner. I can't stand to watch Reasoner play any more. Every time he steps on the ice he's a liability. And give Bailey/Cizikas his PK time. I don't think Aucoin is any thing better then a AAAA type player, but at least he can skate and possibily hit Grabner with some passes.

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:45 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Anywhere at Nassau is a good seat.....However High in the 300's you wont be able to see the scoreboard....
In parts of 319 near the top, you also can't see all of the ice.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:47 AM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Michael Haley played 4 minutes last game, he should be the least of our worries. Ullstrom should be in the lineup, not Boulton. Shut down Rick Nash and they should win.
^^^ this... don't let haley dictate what we do. If we start Boulton over anyone then half of Haley's job is already done by weakening our lines. I hope Haley plays more than 4 minutes, the more he plays the better chance we score.. Just play like we did against montreal, martin, mcdonald and cizikas hitting everything that moved, and don't get suckered into any dumb penalties..

here is to finally winning a must win game..get the feeling this will be a nailbiter.. i will be there..

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:49 AM
steveat

fark...just heard Hamrlik was picked up by the Rangers....

Seems like we passed up on him ...well..if we picked up Hamrlik, we would have had to let someone go to waivers anyway...we got too much youth to give up on and we aren't deep enough in the forward position to let Aucoin/Ullstrom etc go.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:55 AM
19 in a row

Grabner has been playing well the last few games, awful that he is stuck on what is becoming a fourth line with Reasoner/Ullstrom...would like to see him get sine shifts with Frans/Bailey or JT/Moulson

Old
03-07-2013, 10:06 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
Get it done. LGI!!!

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Tavaresfan91

Nabby in goal, boulton in for ullstrom, same defense as per staples

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:08 AM
19 in a row

Quote:
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
Nabokov in goal for #Isles. Boulton in for Ullstrom, D stays same. Visnovsky due to return to team on Friday
Oh well.. so is it grabner reasoner boulton or do they mix lines too? Can't say i agree but looks like there could be fireworks tonight.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Ghost Of Palffy
Rookie User

Would be pretty big to be back at .500 at the half way mark, and still be in the mix for the playoffs. Is Richards still out?

Ghost Of Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:15 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
Grabner has been playing well the last few games, awful that he is stuck on what is becoming a fourth line with Reasoner/Ullstrom...would like to see him get sine shifts with Frans/Bailey or JT/Moulson
I've always felt Grabs was too limited offensively to work well with offensive players. He gets almost all of his chances off the rush or breakaway. Very few, if ANY, rebounds, deflections, wrap-arounds, tap-ins in-close, etc. His goal vs. MTL was one of the very few.

He's not a good forechecker, not strong on the puck, not strong along the boards or in cycling - so I can see why he's not often used in a top six role 5on5.

But he's been much better this year, especially at the beginning of the year and has picked it up of late as well. I think the Isles NEED Grabner to be a guy who can play with offensive players and elevate his game and those of linemates. He's still a young player and developing chemistry with other offensive players is something the Islanders need, not just Grabs.

Grabs isn't lazy defensively, like Moulson and Boyes, so that doesn't worry me. His passing is much improved this year - I'd give him a shot with Tavares or Bailey. We have no 2nd line C (I'd put Bailey or Boyes in that role) but even Nielsen-Grabs is something that helps BOTH players. Not sure why those two are not together.

I hate the fn lines.

Isles will need to draw some penalties vs. the NYR. I hope they play inspired hockey.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:18 AM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I've always felt Grabs was too limited offensively to work well with offensive players. He gets almost all of his chances off the rush or breakaway. Very few, if ANY, rebounds, deflections, wrap-arounds, tap-ins in-close, etc. His goal vs. MTL was one of the very few.

He's not a good forechecker, not strong on the puck, not strong along the boards or in cycling - so I can see why he's not often used in a top six role 5on5.

But he's been much better this year, especially at the beginning of the year and has picked it up of late as well. I think the Isles NEED Grabner to be a guy who can play with offensive players and elevate his game and those of linemates. He's still a young player and developing chemistry with other offensive players is something the Islanders need, not just Grabs.

Grabs isn't lazy defensively, like Moulson and Boyes, so that doesn't worry me. His passing is much improved this year - I'd give him a shot with Tavares or Bailey. We have no 2nd line C (I'd put Bailey or Boyes in that role) but even Nielsen-Grabs is something that helps BOTH players. Not sure why those two are not together.

I hate the fn lines.

Isles will need to draw some penalties vs. the NYR. I hope they play inspired hockey.
Grabner scores more goals in a conventional way than breakaways despite the amount of breakaways he gets. He's good in transition and his speed opens up space for his linemates. I wouldn't mind playing him with Tavares and Moulson. Grabs is also pretty good at bringing the puck into the offensive zone which Moulson and Boyes stink at.

I picture a streaking Grabs driving down the wing passing back to an open Tavares with space who can decide whether to shoot or pass. Tavares deserves a wing with either exceptional speed or size.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:19 AM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

Play Ullstrom.

SwedisHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie21 View Post
I'd like to see Aucoin back in the line up tonight centering Ullstrom/Grabner. I can't stand to watch Reasoner play any more. Every time he steps on the ice he's a liability. And give Bailey/Cizikas his PK time. I don't think Aucoin is any thing better then a AAAA type player, but at least he can skate and possibily hit Grabner with some passes.
I completely get that they are showcasing Reasoner, but his play is only decreasing his value. Best case scenario is a 5th round pick anyway. I don't see why he's playing over better players.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:23 AM
OpAck

After their hot and mostly cold, lackluster first half...I am quite shocked to see that they're only a game under .500, 2 points out of 8th, and only 3 points behind the Devils for 2nd in the Atlantic. The team needs to get their act together...but they could easily stay between 7th and 10th.

A win tonight would be huge for their confidence.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Islanders1932

I don't know why cause this team always lets us down but I am actually feeling good going into this game

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:40 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
After their hot and mostly cold, lackluster first half...I am quite shocked to see that they're only a game under .500, 2 points out of 8th, and only 3 points behind the Devils for 2nd in the Atlantic. The team needs to get their act together...but they could easily stay between 7th and 10th.

A win tonight would be huge for their confidence.
very true.

seems like this team is still frail, can't win those key games to get them to the next level. Too often, they come out flat when they need the points.

But this is common of bad teams.

Is this a bad team and sometimes plays well? or a good team that sometimes plays flat? Standings and history say the latter.

But, one day, that will/may change.

Why not today? Against the RANGERS!!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Hershey Hockey

I don't like AT ALL that Boulton is in for Ullstrom and Reasoner is still playing. Huge mistake. Who cares about Haley? He'll play three minutes. We know he can't automatically fight someone, right? It has to be a mutual thing to drop the gloves. And with what Matt Martin has been doing the past couple of games he could probably even use that to draw a few penalties.

I hate to say I now don't have a good feeling about this one, but I can't really help it with tonight's lineup. This is exactly why I still think Cappy needs to go. I'll be cheering hard from my dorm room in middle of nowhere Pennsylvania and I hope they prove my premonitions wrong.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:48 AM
okie21

Reasoner and Boulton in is just a disaster. That's two players who can't even skate. I gaurentee one of, if not both of these circumstances will occur tonght:
1) Following a TV timeout, with a faceoff in our defensive zone, the Rags will put out their first line and Cappy will counter with the Reasoner line which will either lead directly to a goal or an extended shift in our zone resulting in a penalty.
And/or 2) We will score a goal and Cappy will immeditally put Reasoner line out again leading to running around in our own zone and giving up a goal within 90 seconds of scoring one for what seems like it would be the 10th time already this season.(Don't know if it's actually 10 times, but it feels like it's happened a lot)

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:50 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
very true.

seems like this team is still frail, can't win those key games to get them to the next level. Too often, they come out flat when they need the points.

But this is common of bad teams.

Is this a bad team and sometimes plays well? or a good team that sometimes plays flat? Standings and history say the latter.

But, one day, that will/may change.

Why not today? Against the RANGERS!!
Don't you mean the former?

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:09 AM
luki here

Quote:
Rolston wasn't on the 4th line, he was on the 3rd line last year. It was Pandolfo-Reasoner-Nino.
true true. i guess i repressed those memories successfully

not like pando was real good either though.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Michael Haley played 4 minutes last game, he should be the least of our worries. Ullstrom should be in the lineup, not Boulton. Shut down Rick Nash and they should win.
Ding ding ding... Let Haley run around take stupid penalties like a dope. Much more concerned about the players that have... SKILL.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
Grabner scores more goals in a conventional way than breakaways despite the amount of breakaways he gets. He's good in transition and his speed opens up space for his linemates. I wouldn't mind playing him with Tavares and Moulson. Grabs is also pretty good at bringing the puck into the offensive zone which Moulson and Boyes stink at.

I picture a streaking Grabs driving down the wing passing back to an open Tavares with space who can decide whether to shoot or pass. Tavares deserves a wing with either exceptional speed or size.
It's worth it to try it again. but Grabner played with JT for a while last year. Grabner simply does not have the hockey sense or passing ability to be a good mix with JT.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote