HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#24 | New York Rangers vs. New York Islanders | Mar 7 | 7 PM | L 2-1 OT

Old
03-07-2013, 11:16 AM
luki here

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
It's worth it to try it again. but Grabner played with JT for a while last year. Grabner simply does not have the hockey sense or passing ability to be a good mix with JT.
it seems like they cant even establish themselves in the offensive zone when those two are playing together. moulson and grabs are just both too weak along the boards (grabs being the even weaker).

fransie makes grabs better and vice versa. But i guess capuano has an instinct that boulton and grabs could be magic

edit: tbh grabs is the only forward we have that could make that line into a scoring threat. i am also guessing boulton wont see too much time.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:33 AM
BaileyToOkposo

Ullstrom out again. I really hate cap. He's such a ****** coach

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:41 AM
luki here

its like he purposefully pushed ullstrom in the gutter. First: take away his confidence by sitting him. Now he really isnt playing that great, but i am sure playing with grabner and reasoner isnt helping.

ullstrom should be with casey instead of mcdonald.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:52 AM
ziggy7716

Skimmed through the thread over on the Rangers board. I really can't stand their fans. Such arrogant ass*****. One guy referred to us a "lesser team". We are essentially in the same position as them. I would love nothing more then to steamroll the Rags tonight and shut them up.

Let's Go Islanders!!!

Last edited by ziggy7716: 03-07-2013 at 12:00 PM.
ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:09 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
Skimmed through the thread over on the Rangers board. I really can't stand their fans. Such arrogant ass*****. One guy referred to us a "lesser team". We are essentially in the same position as them. I would love nothing more then to steamroll the Rags tonight and shut them up.

Let's Go Islanders!!!
The Rangers are 2 points ahead of the Islanders with 2 games in hand. I'm not even going to mention the recent history of the 2 teams in the standings, which means the Rangers deserve the benefit of the doubt when comparing these 2 teams.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
The Rangers are 2 points ahead of the Islanders with 2 games in hand. I'm not even going to mention the recent history of the 2 teams in the standings, which means the Rangers deserve the benefit of the doubt when comparing these 2 teams.
But last year has nothing to do with this year.

You can only compare teams within the same year. Based on that, we're two points away. You could lose both those games in hand, or you could win them. Until they're played it doesn't mean anything.

THIS year, the two teams are extremely close and should be considered on the same level.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:34 PM
xECK29x

I dunno why everyone is in a tizzy over Ullstrom, I didn't notice him at all last game.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Ghost Of Palffy
Rookie User

Who cares what they write on their own GDT? Let's just get a W tonight.

Ghost Of Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:42 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
But last year has nothing to do with this year.

You can only compare teams within the same year. Based on that, we're two points away. You could lose both those games in hand, or you could win them. Until they're played it doesn't mean anything.

THIS year, the two teams are extremely close and should be considered on the same level.
Well said. Last year doesn't mean anything at this point. All that matters is the present time. Apparently Ranger fans have a crystal ball and know they are going to win those 2 games in hand. I really hope we smack them around and watch all the Rag fans leave early with their heads down in defeat

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
It's worth it to try it again. but Grabner played with JT for a while last year. Grabner simply does not have the hockey sense or passing ability to be a good mix with JT.
Grabner is probably the best player on the team at anticipating exactly where an opponent is going with the puck, picking off passes, and he reads plays well enough to know when to break into a hole. He's scored goals in many different situations on multiple lines this season, including ones like Ottawa where he breaks to the net at exactly the right moment to get into scoring position...and he "simply does not have the hockey sense?" Strongly disagree.

Let's face it...Grabner had a bad year last season. He got his 20 goals, but did not look like the same player as the season before. This season he absolutely looks like the player from his rookie year. Using the few games last season he played on Tavares' wing, at a time when he was struggling, as the deciding factor on whether they could work well together is probably not the best thing to do. One thing's for sure...if he can score with Reasoner as his center, he can score with Tavares as his center.

Sorry if my tone seems aggressive. I get a bit defensive about Grabner. I don't think he ever gets his fair share of credit. He is probably the second deadliest weapon that other teams plan around when they play the Isles. OK, he doesn't finish on breakaways...the man is right up there with players like Getzlaf, Berglund and Evander Kane in goals scored, so it's not like he can't find the back of the net.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Islander Prophet

gotta win this to get the first 3-game win streak of the year

#breakthepattern

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:10 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Grabner is probably the best player on the team at anticipating exactly where an opponent is going with the puck, picking off passes, and he reads plays well enough to know when to break into a hole. He's scored goals in many different situations on multiple lines this season, including ones like Ottawa where he breaks to the net at exactly the right moment to get into scoring position...and he "simply does not have the hockey sense?" Strongly disagree.

Let's face it...Grabner had a bad year last season. He got his 20 goals, but did not look like the same player as the season before. This season he absolutely looks like the player from his rookie year. Using the few games last season he played on Tavares' wing, at a time when he was struggling, as the deciding factor on whether they could work well together is probably not the best thing to do. One thing's for sure...if he can score with Reasoner as his center, he can score with Tavares as his center.

Sorry if my tone seems aggressive. I get a bit defensive about Grabner. I don't think he ever gets his fair share of credit. He is probably the second deadliest weapon that other teams plan around when they play the Isles. OK, he doesn't finish on breakaways...the man is right up there with players like Getzlaf, Berglund and Evander Kane in goals scored, so it's not like he can't find the back of the net.
you can just kinda see how frustrating it is for jt to play with grabs. they are giving them a shot at 4 on 4 over the last 10 games. not every 4 on 4 shift (jt-bailey and fransie-grabs are the alternative options), but they are taking a long hard look at what to do with grabner. Like you said...he has been scoring...

Old
03-07-2013, 01:16 PM
luki here

snow is soooo lucky that he picked up moulson and grabner for free. imagine this team without them!

on the flip side: we woulda probably picked landeskog instead of strome in 2011. that would be a nice winger for jt (not that strome isnt good)!

Old
03-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

MOD NOTE:
Report the trolls using the triangle icon. If a comment doesn't show up after you posted it chances are it was deleted by a moderator for good reason. If you repost the same comment, you will be warned/infracted. Posters who become consistent issues in the GDT will be thread banned. If you have a question, PM one of the Mods who are in the thread.

03-07-2013, 01:36 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Sit Ullstrom / Play Boulton... Please
Yep. This is why the Islanders have Boulton. I'll take 5-6 minutes of Boulton over Martin, Finley, or Hamonic having to sit in the box for 5.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:40 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

Anyone else see that stat the other night I think it was the Canadians game...We are something like 0-10-1 when scoring 2 goals or less and 9-0-2 when scoring 3 or more goals?

Not sure if these are exact but I know its close....with that said Isles win 4-2

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:41 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
I dunno why everyone is in a tizzy over Ullstrom, I didn't notice him at all last game.
I never really saw what everybody see's in Ullstrom. In the beginning of the year he almost tricked me into believing he was as good as everyone said. I would rather have Sean Bergenheim back in the lineup to play that energy line winger role.

EDIT: But he is still 10x better then freaking Boulton lol

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie21 View Post
Reasoner and Boulton in is just a disaster. That's two players who can't even skate. I gaurentee one of, if not both of these circumstances will occur tonght:
1) Following a TV timeout, with a faceoff in our defensive zone, the Rags will put out their first line and Cappy will counter with the Reasoner line which will either lead directly to a goal or an extended shift in our zone resulting in a penalty.
And/or 2) We will score a goal and Cappy will immeditally put Reasoner line out again leading to running around in our own zone and giving up a goal within 90 seconds of scoring one for what seems like it would be the 10th time already this season.(Don't know if it's actually 10 times, but it feels like it's happened a lot)
After reading this, I don't wanna watch anymore.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:46 PM
McNashty
HATERS GON' HATE!

vCash: 827
Send a message via AIM to McNashty Send a message via MSN to McNashty
NYR Fan coming in peace. Just wanted to say that I've always been a fan of your GDT's and I am hoping to see Haley drop the gloves with someone. Good luck tonight.

McNashty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:58 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
Anyone else see that stat the other night I think it was the Canadians game...We are something like 0-10-1 when scoring 2 goals or less and 9-0-2 when scoring 3 or more goals?

Not sure if these are exact but I know its close....with that said Isles win 4-2
That is wrong. The Islanders scored 4 goals vs the hurricanes and lost 6-4.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:04 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNashty View Post
NYR Fan coming in peace. Just wanted to say that I've always been a fan of your GDT's and I am hoping to see Haley drop the gloves with someone. Good luck tonight.
Im not, Haley is a beast...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:05 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
That is wrong. The Islanders scored 4 goals vs the hurricanes and lost 6-4.
Thanks bud , I said it wasn't exact right in the post....I couldn't remember the stats but it was something very similar.

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
Yep. This is why the Islanders have Boulton. I'll take 5-6 minutes of Boulton over Martin, Finley, or Hamonic having to sit in the box for 5.
Completely agree. It's home, we have last change, we have to deal with Haley, Bickel, and Asham. That's just too much for Martin to deal with, alone. And we have the last change. It's not like Boulton is going to be matched up against Hagelin.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:07 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
Thanks bud , I said it wasn't exact right in the post....I couldn't remember the stats but it was something very similar.
I was at that game that's why I know it for sure lol.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
I never really saw what everybody see's in Ullstrom. In the beginning of the year he almost tricked me into believing he was as good as everyone said. I would rather have Sean Bergenheim back in the lineup to play that energy line winger role.

EDIT: But he is still 10x better then freaking Boulton lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Ullstrom had started off really well.. He started to struggle and cappy started to bench him . I would love for him to snap back to what he was during our early streak which was awesome. I just don't agree with him sitting cause either he'd eventually have a break out and is better out there than boulton or send him to Bridgeport and let him stack up minutes.. Sitting so frequently doesn't help him.

But I agree he hasn't been the same.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote